Pasadena 72
Two years ago

NBL1 Central Week 1

Ok I am back with a non anonymous name now! How scary.

I have to admit I haven't followed the off season as closely as I have others but still think I have a fair idea what’s going on. Hoping this thread can fill in the gaps but I’ll give it a go.

Southern vs Forestville
I assume both Olbrich and Purchase can’t play in this one. I know there’s been some talk about Forestville but replacing Harris with Doyle is a downgrade and prior to Purchase joining I don’t see them as any better than last year. I saw some highlights of Tigers import guard Daniels and he is the real deal. Martin also a very handy pickup.

Forestville by 8.

South vs Norwood
Notice Norwood announced an import recently but haven’t seen if he’s any good. Smith from South was a near MVP last time from memory (around when Starling was also) and they are going to be the best import duo in the league this year pretty easily. Norwood welcomes back Andrew Webber but will take a few games before he’s back to being one of the best PG in the league.

South by 6 in a tight one.

West vs Centrals
New look teams for both sides. Wests import looks very big and will cause issues for teams
Inside. Not sure on their other import but Nik Desantis will be one of the best guards in the league. Centrals have plenty of talent but a very new squad and it will be interesting to see if Dowdell can take on a bigger role with this squad after an amazing GF.

Centrals by 9

Woodville vs North
The Rockets also look very different with no 36ers at the moment. Both imports look ok but they will rely heavily on them. Woodville as normal are a solid team and Humphries is a good addition for them.

North by 5 at home.

Sturt and Eastern has been postponed.

Very interested to hear peoples thoughts and fill in the blanks for me.

Topic #49931 | Report this topic

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Southern vs Forestville
Tigers have lost a few starters and coach that made them the surprise packet of last season. Will probably need Olbrich to play a big role if they are to figure again.
Kind of disagree with Doyle being a downgrade to Harris. Main thing lacking last season was an experienced PG, Dewitt an unsung player in a couple seasons ago. Although Harris was able to go off in the scoresheet, Doyle should make up for it with his experience and leadership, and should still be pretty handy scoring. Doubt they'll be missing Purchase as much as other teams, have a pretty strong front court already, then there's rumours of DJ coming in.
Forestville by 18.

South Vs Norwood
Addition by subtraction bringing in Ninnis. Imports plus John's will make them tough. Hoppo has had a few big games recently, might be the X factor they need.
Flames also making a coaching change, even after making the GF. Losing Turnage is huge, new guy will need to be good for flames to remain relevant. The old firm is there, probably getting a group discount on deep heat from Chemist Warehouse. Green had some good games but vastly inconsistent. Some young guys in the squad, does the coach dare to play them or be the latest in a long line of sacked coaches.
South by 12

West vs Central's
West just announcing their big import this week will need him to be the real deal with some decent pedigree. Desantis is a great get and would want to prove himself after knee injury. To me, West were one of disappointing teams last year, Ross gunning at will.
Central's surprised last year, but has nearly a new starting five. Towdell adds much needed size but will need to bring it better than he did last year. Also interesting to see BJ Johnson back. Will he continue to be more of a shoot first of or look more to distribute.
West by 5.

Woodville vs North
Along with South, Woodville were probably laughing stock of league last year. Warriors still look fine on paper, adding Wurm and Humphries. Humphries probably will be most important in, given experience, but has struggled with his body breaking down in the last few years. Anyway, new season so Warriors should be a finalist.
North on the other hand lost a lot from their championship team. Struggled till they got Dech and McVeigh in, even then they weren't cohesive, Wurms last second brain fade turnover in elimination final saving their season. Never know when the chequebook will get pulled out, but doubting they're a strong possibility to repeat.
Woodville by 24.

Sturt vs Eastern
Postponed, but Sturt have added big pieces to last year's group. Jacob Rigoni my early tip for Woollacott, was already vital before his stint in college, should be a lot better now. Sabres only missing some bigs last year, were ladder leaders most of year before bowing out in finals. Now it looks like they've covered that weakness.
Eastern after a winless campaign last year are bringing some help in this year. Still my tip for wooden spoon again.

Reply #889130 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Two years ago

First week and we have a postponement because Eastern can't find 8 female players and didn’t manage to get their imports here on time.

Same old BSA.

Reply #889150 | Report this post

Was15  
Two years ago

If that is the case then surely it should be a forfeit

Reply #889157 | Report this post

Interested  
Two years ago

Is that more typical Mavs rather than typical BSA?

Reply #889158 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

If covid the reason for Macs problem then really why think should be forfeit.. set precedy for other teams. Get info right and think through. Sixers baggers become Mav baggers. Nothing changes...

Reply #889164 | Report this post

Was15  
Two years ago

Mavs people are saying it's coz Sturt have COVID.

Reply #889170 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

can't recall last time Woodville women defeated North women ?

Reply #889257 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

Mixed bag of results for me. Forestville blowing Southern out in the 2nd half in what could be a worrying sign for the Tigers whose imports had little box score impact. North by 2 in a close one I had as well as South who won on a miraculous Todd Davies shot while West surprised me (and Centrals) by winning easily.

Did anyone head to or watch any games that can offer insight?

Reply #889260 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Think you find I predict bearcats to be very very competitive... will figure in final action..

Reply #889264 | Report this post

bcat  
Two years ago

Central men were disappointing, Tobias forced alot of jump shots as 'Andre the giant' patrolled the paint. Tobias went 4 of 17 on the night, and this won't happen against other opponents. Centrals also without Demetrius Perkins, the second import and former bearcat, as he is still recovering from an injury.

Nik De Santis looked very good off ball, and scored freely on the drive. Also contributed with assists and steals Nate Shepperd just starting to get going and that quick release jump shot was efficient from deep. Andre Washington was slow up the floor, but had only arrived from France Wednesday, and was still a little jet lagged. changed several shots, and threw down one very big dunk which tested the port adelaide backboard supports. BTW who is Curtis Phillips, and why is he playing the rodman role? got an easy 10 rebounds on the night

Not sure if this game highlighted how good west adelaide are, or if it highlighted again the weakness of Centrals in the NBL 1 comp.

Reply #889278 | Report this post

bcat  
Two years ago

In women's news, Bearcats will have 3 Adelaide crows WAFL players in the line up real soon.

Going to be great to see bearcat junior and former Olympian and WNBA player, Erin Phillips, suiting up for the bearcats.

Reply #889281 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

the other 2 ? will one be Hatchard ? - she is an awesome basketballer too.

Reply #889295 | Report this post

bcat  
Two years ago

hatchard is the other one i know about... not sure of the 3rd

Reply #889297 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

Jasmin Simmons

Reply #889298 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Bearcats are rockin.. heard hre...port elite sporting team...

Reply #889300 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

Jasmin Simmons played for Bearcats. (Great player)
Erin Phillips and Anne Hatchard may not if they join Port Power AFLW
New team commitments.

Reply #889687 | Report this post

Was15  
Two years ago

I heard that Adelaide FC says it's players can only play basketball with west. There is some linkage between the two.

Reply #889878 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

Interesting WAS15, considering Bearcats are about to be closely aligned to Port Adelaide, the same club that some Crows AFLW players are likely to sign with, so would have thought the complete opposite?

Reply #889891 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Two years ago

One of West's NBL1 Women assistant coaches is (or at least was) Adelaide's AFLW manager. If nothing else, there's a link.

Reply #889898 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

Maybe theory is keep them close so they won't sign with the other AFLW club!

Reply #889902 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:26 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754