D2.0
Two years ago

Is Antonius Cleveland worthy of NBL First Team?

In the thread discussing the NBL awards, his name is mentioned 3 times:
Once for being nominated, and twice for winning.
So perhaps I'm not the only one who didn't have him on their radar?

I know he played in the NBA, and he's clearly been good for the Hawks,
but I haven't seen enough of him to be super impressed, one way or the other.

DPOTY is very holistic and relies on seeing a lot more of his games than I did, so I certainly can't dispute his selection. He gets plenty of steals and quite a few blocks, and you have to admire his hustle on D.

But his 1st team selection baffles me.
Under the rules of selection he's been chosen as a backcourt or "outside" player. This for a guy who's one of the worst outside shooters in the league. I know they call him a SG, but I tend to think of him as more of a SF.
He's good, very good. But one of the top 3 backcourt players in the league?
I mean there's Cotton & Adams, then daylight, but even so. I'd have had several players in there ahead of him.

Topic #50016 | Report this topic

HighIQ  
Two years ago

I agree and Delly 2nd team was terrible too Cooks should have made 1st team no question. And how does the 2nd place Hawks only get one guy on the awards list. This happens often because coaches and captains have an agenda. I know as a coach I use to vote my players with the points even if losses is that fair nope but it's the reality. This happens in all levels.

Reply #890890 | Report this post

GordonG  
Two years ago

HighIQ Have a read of this Wikipedia article, and also look at how the other awards are decided [box on the right hand side] - most of them say you can't vote for your own team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-NBL_Team

Reply #890893 | Report this post

HighIQ  
Two years ago

I think you missed what I'm saying after games there is a point system you can spread those points out. And you can vote for dudes on the other team like Example I’d give points to Jack White and the Import. That takes away at the end and the final votes you do the same type of thing you put votes of guys you don’t think have a chance at beating your guy. Thanks for the wiki tho.

Reply #890897 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

after games there is a point system
No there isn't.

Reply #890900 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Votes are no longer game by game but an overall

Reply #890902 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

It is interesting Cleveland made 1st over Creek, and I think arguments could be made for the perimeter guys Adams, Goulding and Delly, Cleveland beat Cooks for DPOY so I'm happy to put Cleveland ahead there...

I think more to the point there’s tiers this season,

Tier one - Adams, Cotton, JLA, Law

Tier 2 - Cleveland, Adams, Goulding, Delly, Creek

Tier 3 - Cooks, Martin, Magette, Franks,

Debatable, and I’m sure I’m missing some …

Reply #890908 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

It is interesting Cleveland made 1st over Creek
He didn't. They don't play the same position.

Reply #890910 | Report this post

kbev  
Two years ago

Cleveland definitely deserves his spot in the 1st Team, the rules are 2 front court players and 3 back court players. While Creek or Cooks may have had a better season, Cleveland was the third best backcourt player. He was up against Josh Adams, Delly and Goulding and clearly had a better season that those three. Creek and Cooks were up against Law and JLA for the two front court positions.

Reply #890938 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754