threeball
Two years ago

Grand Final Game 1: Kings v JackJumpers

Will JJs fairytale season continue, or will Kings firepower put a stop the march of the ants?

Can't wait to see the shootout between the two Adams.

As much as I am pulling for Tasmania to get the upset, I fear Sydney’s talent and form will be too much for them.

Kings 3-1

Quite hyped for this - let’s get the ball rolling!

Topic #50040 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Game still a few days away but at this stage if both teams are as is, Sydney by plenty. I'm hoping for a different result but don’t see it.
It might get close in Tasmania but this will be either 3 to 0 or 3 to 1 unfortunately.

Reply #891324 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

It's weird to be so torn about a finals with my team playing it - I mean, I still want to win, but I'm naturally inclined to cheer for the underdogs, and this season for the JJs is one of the all-time great sporting stories IMO.

As has been the case in most games the JJs play, the Kings *should* beat them handily, but they've given the Kings problems this season, and the time to doubt the JJs is long past. However it shakes out, looking forward to Friday night's game.

Reply #891327 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Kings with too much talent, Jaylen Adams is a monster and game winner type player, Cooks is hungry as I've ever seen him and the rest of the squad play their roles perfectly. The only solace I will take from them winning the title is Bogut isn't there.

Reply #891329 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Little unfair on Bogut, he's been good for Australian basketball, yes he has some strange opinions to most people and does come across as a tosser.

Bogut will be there as part owner as well so wouldn’t get to excited.

Reply #891332 | Report this post

threeball  
Two years ago

JJs will have to have everything go right and win three games, not just two against this talented Kings side.

So far things have fallen into place for them - Law getting injured and Perth dropping the last two games, United opening the door for them in the final regular season game, Goulding injured for Game 3.

They've maximised their system, played hard-nosed and made the big plays – McVeigh hitting those deep threes in G2 was a sight to behold. Adams is Adams.

But I don’t know if they can keep this up over a potential 5 game series.

Josh Adams has been spectacular to watch this season, especially in the play-offs. But he can either be a hero or the villain.

That last game he took a few shots that left me shaking my head but then he hit the big ones that mattered.

30 points but 3-11 from the arc. All three were big - and what can you say about that last triple?

Over the series though he shot 4-17 from three, had 0 assists. The 30 in G3 was after 6pts in G2. If his scoring dries up, how else will he add to their winning?

JJs have won to this point so it’s compensated for his tendency to play wild – but that might come back to bite them at the most critical moment.

I do hope the JJs pull off the upset but Sydney have been the best team all year and should close it out accordingly.

Reply #891333 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

It was weird seeing Longley and Bogut standing next to each other after the Kings win on Sunday given what Bogut said about Longley and Gaze when he was first drafted by the Bucks.

As nice as it would be to see Bogut denied an NBL championship again (as a part-owner now) I just can't see how the JJ's have much chance in this series. The Kings Top 3 players are all better than Tassie's best player. I just hope they make it competitive because it feels like 3-0 or at beat 3-1 loss coming up.

Reply #891335 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

The Kings remind me of the 97 Tigers, who famously won the title after a 3-9 start

Like those Tigers, Sydney made an import change mid season and have been almost unbeatable after the change- Tigers won 17 in a row, Sydney won 13 in a row.

I think Sydney are now 12-1 with both Adams and Clark playing

Like those Tigers, Sydney just has weapons everywhere.

I remember Goorj likening playing those Tigers to the whack-a-mole arcade game. Someone's gonna get you. If not Gaze, then Copeland, and if not Copeland then Timmons, and Bradtke's still there putting in his 20-25 a game.

It's like that with Sydney. Adams subs out, and Clark takes over. DJ could go off for 30 (like he did against Illawarra recently). Martin and Maker floating around- bigs who can score from anywhere. And Cooks is cleaning everything up and making it difficult at the other end.

I hope the JJ's can squeeze out a Game 2 win in front of their home fans, or even better with both and force 5. That would be another epic moment for Tasmania and another piece of NBL history.

But most likely result for mine is a Kings sweep. Injuries are more likely to beat them than the JJ's.

Reply #891336 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

For the JJ's I feel it all comes down to game 2. That place needs to be and will be rocking. If they don't take that game it's over.

Reply #891342 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Two years ago

Despite absolutely cheering for the JJ's, I do think Kings will win, whether the JJ’s take one or both of their home games I’m not too sure about.

What I DO know is that to even get to this point is incredible for the JJ’s as a franchise and the team should really be commended for their efforts. I don’t at all mean that due to their, on paper, lesser talent, it is genuinely a fantastic achievement and if the Kings were the first year team with a stacked team, we would all still be very impressed.

Reply #891366 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I mean, Sydney should win all three by 30+, but we've been saying that about Tassie's opponents for weeks now...

Reply #891367 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

This less talented JJs side are giving me a similar vibe to the banged up but determined Wildcats of last season's Grand Finale series when United could only beat them by single digits in each game.

Reply #891373 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I dunno.

JJs were blown out last time these teams met (57-29 at the half, in Tassie too)

Game 1 vs United was heading that way - when Baba hit his circus layup early in the 4th, it took the score to 66-43. The game was over.

My guess would be Sydney big win in Game 1- by say, 15.

Reply #891375 | Report this post

Baller  
Two years ago

I think Tasmania need to throw all there chips in for game one try and turn it into a low scoring dog fight if they could somehow pinch that first game Sydney might panic and let the pressure get to them

Reply #891392 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Michael Aylen, Vaughan Mayberry and Chris Reid have been appointed as the three referees for the Hungry Jack's #NBL22 Grand Final series #NBLFinals

Reply #891394 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I wonder who it is that Chris Reid has comprising pictures of.

Reply #891414 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Clearly just a good referee KR

Reply #891416 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

He isn't, though.

Reply #891418 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Then you should be in charge of FIBA and the NBL because obviously you know more than the people appointing him to World Cup qualifiers and NBL Grand Finals.

Reply #891419 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

It's the three most experienced, refs don’t lose games.

Reply #891420 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Sad but 3 stooges in my mumble humble world... coaches reviews going to.must view as these goose play it up... ref's ga mm es so no one notices or cares who blowing the acme thunder pealess one key harmonicas....

Reply #891421 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

"This less talented JJs side are giving me a similar vibe to the banged up but determined Wildcats of last season's Grand Finale series when United could only beat them by single digits in each game."

I felt the same, shows what good coaching with the players buying in can do.

Reply #891424 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

"He isn't, though." In your meaningless opinion.

Reply #891484 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Looking forward to the game, doesn't look like any late outs, I hope I’m wrong, kings by twenty.

Reply #891491 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Those new camera angles are trash. Why now?!

Reply #891498 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two years ago

Sydney feeling the pressure!

Reply #891500 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

JJs doing well so far to keep it ugly.

Reply #891501 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Roth yelling keep it simple, JJs gone away from that. Kings just keep rolling out quality players, Maker is going to be very good. Clarke is a gun off the bench, hell the kings are arrogant though.

Reply #891506 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Kings matched their toughness, unusual for kings. Solid game to the half but after that average.
Kings side just so stacked, no one was beating them this season, certainly with Gleeson not being at Perth and United not as strong as normal.

Reply #891508 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Thoughts on Jaylen Adams' injury? I didn't see it.

Reply #891509 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

It didn't look good but Clarke will fill the void nicely, Adams is an absolute gun but kings just so deep.

Reply #891511 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

I'm more worried about McVeigh - JJs need him on the court more than Sydney need Adams

Reply #891515 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Yeah I agree, hoopie. Fingers crossed for him.
I'm not worried about the Kings minus Adams. They should still be fine.

Reply #891516 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I'm more worried about McVeigh - JJs need him on the court more than Sydney need Adams

Don't get me wrong I'm not worried for the Kings but I do want the JackJumpers to have everything possible go their way.

As the old hashtag goes #AnyoneButSydney

Reply #891518 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

McVeigh came back on, might have been a stinger.

Reply #891519 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

As long as Adams remains out, real chance this goes to 5

Reply #891520 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

@LV I would be willing to bet that Adams plays only at Sydney home games. You win the title whether you play 3, 4 or 5 games. JJ's (ie NBL) gets 2 sold out Hobart games, with all the gate/merch sales that entails.

I have never seen so much TV coverage of an iced up hamstring before.

Reply #891522 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

The JJs seemed pretty hesitant in the 3rd and 4th quarter, and if theyre going to pull off an upset they need to throw caution to the wind. But either way I think tonight demonstrated how this series is going to go - Tasmania will be annoying and play seemingly above themselves but Sydney just has too many weapons, with or without Jaylen Adams.

Reply #891531 | Report this post

HighIQ  
Two years ago

These comments will be more entertaining then this final series. Roth what a a great job of coaching as this roster as constructed shouldn't have made finals let alone be in the championship. Kings have too much firepower to many players that can create and defend. Tassie has to be perfect to win one game let alone 2 unless Larry pulls out the check book and the refs enter the conversation. 3-0 but wouldn’t be shocked at 3-1 but again these comments are by far more fun and entertaining then the game 1

Reply #891532 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Yep, looking like a 3-0 series.

Love what the Jacks have achieved, but I think they'll have to shoot 50%+ on bulk triples to stand a chance in any of the remaining games. Kings just too damn good.

Sidenote: how good has the Ian Clark signing been for Sydney. Most of us questioned signing another guard over a seemingly needed big, but his addition has paid off big time.

Reply #891534 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

If they can hit a decent % of 2-pointers the JJs will be a chance on Sunday.

Reply #891540 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Sydney is lucky with Cooks versatility. Dude is so good on the boards and so good near the ring that he replaces any need for another big. Really should be on the plane to Paris come 2024

Reply #891542 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

Cooks is a fine all round player. He needs to get an outside game to go the next level.

Reply #891553 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Cooks is great but he does seem to accumulate silly fouls, technicals and fines...

Reply #891554 | Report this post

HighIQ  
Two years ago

Cooks should have been 1st team not Cleveland but hey that's how things go sometimes. I also wasn’t a fan of Delly making any All NBL team but that played out exactly how I called it smoke and mirrors I’d rather have Shay does the same things and cheaper for sure but that’s for another thread ahahhhh

Reply #891555 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Cooks is a very good player, great elevation as well, be interesting to see if he goes to the next level, nba, euro league teams how he fares against the genuine 7 footers plus with massive arm spans. Also got get lot more consistent free throws and three point shot. Very good iq player as well.

Reply #891558 | Report this post

HighIQ not quite high enough to understand the criteria for all star 5. It was not possible for Cooks to replace Cleveland.

Reply #891563 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Nice start by the ants

Reply #891583 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

You know the Hungry Jacks sponsorship is going well when the crowd chants it on the 2nd free throw, after the player already made the first one.

Great start by the JJs, with McIntosh's 2 early fouls being the only real dampener on it

Reply #891584 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754