Dunkman
Two years ago

Grand Final: JackJumpers vs Kings, Game 2

Great start JJs. Refs certainly being nice to JJs. Still think kings will get this.

Topic #50052 | Report this topic

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

Pretty obvious the NBL wants to extend the series as much as possible...

Reply #891585 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Crowd amazing, as Hooley said, it's like a euro league game with the noise.

Reply #891586 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I want to see it extended:::))).

Reply #891587 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

That was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen - Buford calls a timeout for last play of the half, instead of taking the last shot they run the play way too early and turn it over leading to a Weeks 3...

Reply #891589 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

JJs by four, excellent game, kings just to much talent imo to lose this, I hope I'm wrong.

Reply #891590 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

The Kings taking over feels inevitable but the JJs just keep finding ways to fend them off.
Story of their season really.
Jarrad Weeks chipping in with 11 first half points.

Enjoyable game so far. Reffing pretty good too.

Reply #891591 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Refs been very good. As a basketball fan I understand when Perth win their supporters being tossers, team normally ok, this kings team are total tossers from coach down, I'll keep lisch out that but the rest of them, oh my they think they are entitled.

Reply #891592 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Josh Adams what a shot

Reply #891593 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

and again!

Reply #891594 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

DJ calls game
#clutch

That was a good one

Reply #891595 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Good try by JJs but Sydney too good.

Someone get the broom.

Reply #891596 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Sweep.

Reply #891597 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Watch those w@nker Kings carrying on

Hope Vasiljevic goes 0-10 next game, just to hear the Tassie fans get into him next game

Reply #891598 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

Adams was insane. But too much talent on Sydney & absolutely huge shot by DJ.

Reply #891599 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Adams just epic though. Ice in those veins.

Shame it'll probably be a sweep

Reply #891600 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

What a game.

Reply #891602 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

DJ all but guaranteed his team a title. Has every right to be pumped.

Reply #891603 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Well if that's done for MyState, what a season and great re-introduction for NBL in Tassie. Great crowds, Epic atmosphere

Reply #891604 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

More chance of the Kings winning by 40 on Wednesday than Tassie winning at all IMO.

Reply #891606 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

[DJ all but guaranteed his team a title. Has every right to be pumped.]

Celebrate with your team but don't incite the crowd. No need for that. That's called being a douche. Would love if he has to go back there

Reply #891608 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Great game, Sydney just so stacked.

Yep sweep.

Reply #891609 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I think the JJs will live to rue a lot of their fourth quarter decisions, throwing up a whole range of garbage for a fair stretch there. They definitely had their chances. But Josh Adams should be the first guy re-signed as soon as humanly possible for that team. He's a killer. Just unfortunately couldn't seal the deal today. JJ's can probably do better than McIntosh and maybe even Magette but I'd run the rest of the team back next year.

Sydney for the sweep now. Too deep - too good. Vaseljivic showed why he is probably the best up and coming shooting guard in the country, just the same he doesn't have the upsides to make himself an Olympian or World Cup player.

Reply #891610 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

No team has ever gone down 0-2 and forced game four.

Reply #891613 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Tassie have done very well at taking the chances they've been given this season. They got a big helping hand from Perth and United to even make the playoffs and then got another big hand in Game 3 of the SF with Goulding being ruled out an hour before tip-off and then had the good hand again today with Jaylen Adams being out injured.

Back home they should've won this game but they couldn't execute late in the game Josh Adams heroics was keeping them in it whilst Magette was jacking up early 3's in the shot clock and the Kings were still executing down the other end. The JJ's have had a very good season but their run of good fortune ended today when they had it all there for them.

Having such a blue-collar scrappy team the JJ's should do every they can to re-sign Josh Adams he bails them out so much but with all their local spots full they need to upgrade on Magette. Even though he started poorly McIntosh really grew into his role as an energy guy off the bench and they likely wouldn't be able to find an upgrade for he provides and is likely on financially.

Magnay should be back next season but with his history probably can't be relied on to stay healthy so the only real improvement to the roster is getting a better PG than Magette which shouldn't be too difficult.

Reply #891614 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

:(

Reply #891615 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

DJ could definitely make his way to the Australian team imo. He's a scorer and shot creator, and that's the one thing we have really lacked outside of Patty.

Reply #891616 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I'm not certain DJ could play nba, but let me tell you, some big euro clubs will be in the hunt. His defence has improved and his fitness, he can score inside and out. I can see some big coin, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Russia if the war stops.

Reply #891617 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Vasiljevic gets hyped up a bit too much above his station. A handy yet inconsistent NBL player he's got no business being on a full-strength Boomers team above better players like Goulding & Sobey and any NBA talk is laughable.

Honestly I think this is where the NBL commentators who are paid to pump up all the players do themselves and the viewers a big disservice look at all the bullshit hype they put on Finn Delany last season I'm sure that contributed to him going backwards this season.

Vasiljevic is a good NBL player nothing more, nothing less leave it at that he's not even the best Aussie on his own team.

Reply #891618 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Great game to be at. Yep some 4th quarter decision-making was not great by the JJ's against a very talented team.

JJ's still have my respect.

Not sure in what universe Chase Buford does not get called for a tech there - refs were there it should have been called. Not the reason for the W but reckon if Roth was coaching that team they win by 30.

Reply #891619 | Report this post

Hawk Head  
Two years ago

JJ's had the game won and jacked up unnecessary three after unnecessary three. Should've hung on there.

Also, handy for other NBL coaches to know you can swear loudly and kick a hole in the LED signage and not get teched.

Reply #891622 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

As a basketball fan I understand when Perth win their supporters being tossers, team normally ok, this kings team are total tossers from coach down, I'll keep lisch out that but the rest of them, oh my they think they are entitled.

Spot on. Don't forget the overall shitty culture of the entire organisation and the ridiculous situation of Heal being appointed Flames coach based on sucking up to Paul Smith.

Reply #891629 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I'd like to see DJ on a lesser NBL team, without a ball dominant guard like Casper or Adams.

See if he can establish himself as the number 1 option on an NBL team like CG43 did at Melbourne at the same age, in 2012-2014

Reply #891630 | Report this post

RS  
Two years ago

I would love to see Chase get suspended and miss game three.

He already has a suspended sentence, which to be honest, was disappointing to hear was suspended to next season in the first place just because his team was in the playoffs.

At what point are there actually consequences for your actions?

He was given leeway by the league, has offended again, surely now they have to be firm.

Reply #891633 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Buford should get suspended for a game for kicking that hole in the electronic signage thing and his previous record too but given the next game will likely be the last and the Kings championship celebrations will follow I highly doubt the NBL will actually suspend him.

Reply #891635 | Report this post

RS  
Two years ago

If the punishment means he misses being at the stadium and participating in his team winning the championship, so be it.

It was his actions. It should have consequences and he shouod have to suffer them.

Should not matter if it's the start, middle, or end of the season. The ramifications of actions should be the same.

NBL needs to step up here and not let it slide.

Reply #891640 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Should be exiled to the Cursed Earth (jokes aside I hope he pays for repairs)

Reply #891642 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

bottom line don't give a damn about the damage but why was there no Tech Foul called?

Reply #891644 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

I love the saltiness in this thread.

Riddle me this:

1. If the Kings lose, then they are the violet crumbles and have a terrible culture. Sack everyone, rebuild.

2. If the Kings win, they have a terrible attitude, no class, and need to sack everyone to get the culture right.

13 wins on the trot, and it looks like we might sweep the finals. If that is what a terrible culture looks like, then I for one am more than happy with that.

Reply #891645 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

It's possible to lose and have great culture, like the Taipans of a few years ago.

You can win and have great culture, like the Wildcats of the past decade.

You can lose and have shit culture, like the current Wildcats.

You can win and have shit culture, like the current Kings.

Reply #891646 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

I reiterate: 13 wins on the trot, and a finals sweep on the cards. Very likely we lose our imports, the coach, and probably two locals next season.

The Kings likely know that, and are happy to swap for a flag. I would guess that practically every NBL team would do the same. It is not exactly a new concept.

Reply #891647 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

You're confusing good culture with roster continuity. They're not the same.

Reply #891648 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

OK - I'll play.

So is a 'good' culture more important than winning in a professional sports organisation?

Reply #891650 | Report this post

Kev  
Two years ago

Imagine Joey Wright doing what Buford did tonight. The all white nbl panel would have given him 6 months.

Reply #891651 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Players should still show sportsmanship, not all but most kings players are prima Dona's. Yes be happy, celebrate with your team mates but don’t act like tossers.

Reply #891652 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

@Dunkman "most Kings players are prima Dona's"

So a prima donna is: "a very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance"

Given the Kings just won game two of the finals without the league MVP, I am not sure that description applies. Try again.

@Kev: JW did. Several times:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/nbl-issues-1500-penalty-and-one-game-suspended-sentence-against-adelaide-36ers-head-coach-joey-wright/news-story/ba7a2dda316f018d0ce2c512e0201908

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-and-perth-coaches-avoid-penalty-for-nbl-melee/news-story/07390aba8db1c99cba845bb1d8b376f5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPSlco63gXE

Reply #891653 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

" The all white nbl panel would have given him 6 months."

Look at this absolute crap. White coaches have been admonished and fined in similar ways to Joey Wright for comments made in press conferences. There is no precedent for Joey kicking anything but whether there is a punishment for it is still yet to be seen mere hours after. Not sure why this had to become a race thing but you're a bit of a tool.

-

As for DJ, the guy can score and shoot. Like CG43 I have no doubt he can do those things at any level he wants to do them. My question is his athleticism and size at his position and defensive ability. Whether he could get buckets isn't a question for me.

Reply #891654 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Sad to see the JJ's throw away a game they were in semi control of by jacking up several 3's when they were ahead. Gave the Kings too many chances to win this one. Sweep coming...

Reply #891655 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I mean, there's the time Joey Wright punched an opposition coach and suffered no consequences...

Reply #891656 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

@ Dave Q

It's a fair description imo, they are not doctors, scientists, people that make other peoples lives better, they are playing sports for good money, no need to behave like that. It’s not how Australians used to behave. By all means celebrate, be happy with your team mates but yelling at the crowd and chest beating is not sport.

McVeigh was a chest beater at Sixers and a very average player, now he concentrates on basketball and has amazed me how good he has become.

Reply #891659 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

@Dunkman - ah. so don't show passion. Don't get fired up. Absolutely don't feed off the crowd.

Professional sports (all codes) would have a lot smaller following should athletes choose to follow your guidelines. The NBA (just for example) would cease to exist!

Reply #891660 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Dave, you're either deliberately misconstruing the point or you're incapable of understanding basic concepts.

Which is it?

Reply #891661 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Vasiljevuc had every right to thump his chest on that final shot, that's a huge make! The difference with what McVeigh and many past 36ers used to do was flex and beat their chest in the first qtr, on a rebound, down by 10 pts. Big difference in growing up as a kid a dreaming of hitting that game winner.

Reply #891664 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

It's not the chest thump I was talking about

It's the yelling into the crowd and the "I'm listening" gesture putting the hand to the ear

Goes past the theatre of sport and into the territory of the uncalled for

Reply #891666 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

When that adrenaline is pumping ppl do emotional things they might regret later, it happens.

Reply #891671 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Yeah, this is only the 13th or 14th one-off incident, it's fine.

Reply #891672 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

C'mon, that 3 was huuuuuge by Vasiljevic. It's a GF, ffs. I had assumed that Vasiljevic was reacting to some sort of taunts throughout the game, but if not, put him down as a Heal / Kerle / Harvey type, which isn't such a bad thing. He becomes a villain in Tassie. So what? It's not just the big plays in sport that are memorable, it's the personalities.

Reply #891673 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

JJ's can hold their heads up high, they played their hearts out against a stacked team and just came up short.
The Kings bench probably cost more than JJ’s whole organisation.

I agree with the previous comments, Adams needs to be re-signed asap.

Reply #891676 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

I love how salty this series is making Perth fans.

Reply #891688 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Are Perth fans salty? I'm not, I'm enjoying watching a series where I don't really have a vested interest in either team, just watch pure basketball for what it is. I probably am leaning towards supporting JJ's, but at the same time I never thought they could actually beat the Kings, then Adams got injured and this game was their shot and they blew it. I don't think we'll see Clark and Cooks miss his many shots in game 3 that's for sure.

Reply #891692 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Talking more about Twitter/FB feeds than here to be honest, although I think much of the aggro about DJ in particular after hitting the biggest shot of his career is stemming from salty Perth fans (and to a smaller degree JJs fans).

Reply #891696 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

DJ all but guaranteed his team a title. Has every right to be pumped.

Sorry for salting up the place everyone

Reply #891697 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Honestly don't understand how any neutral fan could be doing anything other than barracking hard for the JJ's

But, each to their own

Reply #891700 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

"Honestly don't understand how any neutral fan could be doing anything other than barracking hard for the JJ's"

I definitely don't like the Kings as an organisation, but I do enjoy watching Cooks and Adams play, much more enjoyable than watching Bogut and Wares shit eating grins.

Reply #891707 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Cooks is a real pleasure to watch IMO the Kings real best player but Jaylen Adams too is great to watch and he always seems to have a smile on his face and seems to be really enjoying his time here.

I must admit I've always had a 'thing' for Shaun Bruce too, I've always really appreciated his smarts and always enjoyed his niggling white line fever stuff almost every game something happens with him involved. A bit like Drmic too and I wasn't happy when the Sixers didn't hold onto Bruce either.

Reply #891709 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Ffs, DJ getting death threats now, what a fucking joke. The kid did something great, leave him alone.

Reply #891742 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Death threats from upset overseas gamblers are pretty par for the course these days, it seems.

Reply #891744 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

upset overseas gamblers

The Twitch live stream chatroom from last season was something else.

Reply #891761 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

Did the gamblers move over to the youtube stream? According to those Twitch threads full of gambling addicts, the NBL is rigged every game.

Reply #891765 | Report this post

kennytmhk  
Two years ago

Josh Adams yelling into the crowd and putting the hand to the ear in the third quarter. Everyone's fine with it. Then DJ hit a game sealing three and beat the chest. It suddenly becomes a poor culture, cocky or whatever you call it. What a double standard.

Reply #891787 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Did the gamblers move over to the youtube stream? According to those Twitch threads full of gambling addicts, the NBL is rigged every game.

It's a giant conspiracy to fleece them out of the $50 they placed on an overs bet.

Reply #891790 | Report this post

Baller  
Two years ago

Completely different circumstances champ it's one thing to be doing during a game but to do it after a game is plain stupid and asking for trouble I’ve seen full on riots start in euro league when players have done similar things

Reply #891868 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

DJ can celebrate how he wants. I find it interesting that rather than going to his teammates he turned to the crowd. It probably indicates how big a factor the crowd was.

Reply #891871 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

To his credit he admitted he went to far and apologised.

Reply #891873 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

[Josh Adams yelling into the crowd and putting the hand to the ear in the third quarter. Everyone's fine with it.]

The crowd's 99% Tasmanian. There's a difference doing it as a home player to pump up the crowd. Also a difference doing it after the game.

One is incitement and in poor taste. One is not.

Reply #891882 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

But, not something I'd ever penalise. (Unlike Buford who deserves more than a paltry $375 fine)

Just not something I found particularly gratifying

Reply #891883 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:00 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754