Mystro
Two years ago

Tommy V heads back to Breakers

Tom Vodanovich has signed a 2 year deal to head back to the NZ Breakers after winning a title with the Kings last season.

Tommy V joins Tom Abercrombie, Will McDowell White, Rob Loe, Sam Timmins and Dan Fotu as signed locals.

Topic #50108 | Report this topic

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Thought they might sign Tommy when they said they wanted to go back to having more of an NZ core. He's the sort of selfless guy every team needs.

Reply #892898 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

He's a thug

Reply #892923 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Two years ago

Hope he gets more minutes back in NZ. Shown he can be a solid contributor of the bench when given the opportunity.

Reply #892949 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

He is at least a proven commodity in the NBL, plays his role well and has some size and strength at PF.

6/11 signed with 3 locals and 3 imports to come.
Wonder if Moar will chase Hopson at SF and try and bring Siva back to play behind WMW?

Reply #892950 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

2 locals and 3 imports to come don't you mean? 6/11 means only five spots left.

Plus pretty sure Besson is signed to an import spot next season but probably not expected back if he gets drafted. Dieng as a NS probably the same.

Reply #892952 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Tommy V is a solid back up PF and has gotten better at the Kings. But two things I'll always remember of this guy are him acting up drunk on a flight back from Perth when he was with NZB and Santa talking his signing up at the Kings as some sort of massive coup, dude was playing in Luxembourg before that.

Reply #892953 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

From all reports he was a solid teammate in Sydney. Always a bit foul prone when given minutes, but he definitely improved in that area over the past season in particular and I think he'll be a solid contributor for NZ. Disappointed he's leaving, but understand it also.

Reply #892954 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Yeah sorry Zodiac on the maths fail, having a shocker of a Monday.

I remember the acting up on the flight incident as well but at least there hasn't been any reoccurring issues and he learnt from his mistake.

At least with Vodanovich and Timmins NZ have a couple of strong guys with size that can crash the boards and bang in the paint.

Reply #892955 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Nah no probs Mystro and he and Timmins give NZB some young grunt in the PF/C area something they probably haven't had in a while. I know Loe is still under contract but I bet the club can't wait for his contract to end. Not much you can do about Wetzell he had a great season and played himself out of the league.

If big if I know but if Besson was to get drafted and stashed back at NZB for another year I think with another year under his belt he could turn into quite a serious player.

Reply #892957 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Yeah I wouldn't be disappointed if Besson was drafted and stashed to play another season here especially with home games to look forward to.

Loe has been playing well in the NZNBL for Auckland and has them sitting top of the table but I completely agree that NZ will be having second thoughts on his final year of his contract.

I would still like to see NZ sign Sam Waardenburg from the University of Miami.
A mobile 6.10" PF who can step out and knock down the 3.

NZ for the past couple of seasons have looked a little undersized in the front court and have often struggled with foul issues so I would rather they loaded up their front court as opposed to last season where they were packed with guards.

Reply #892958 | Report this post

Herbert Cadbury  
Two years ago

How about us finally having some home games to go to this year Mystro? How good :-D

Reply #892976 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Absolutely, can't wait to see some live NBL action.

Reply #892977 | Report this post

Herbert Cadbury  
Two years ago

Yeah man, I'm down in Invers but hoping to get up to two games, schedule pending of course!

Reply #892979 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Two years ago

Mystro - if Sam W hasn't signed with the Breakers by now, I think he may end up somewhere else, in Cairns probably, Forde would look after him, but what I'd know, not his agent :)

Reply #892982 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Two years ago

I also think Waardenburg has signed elsewhere. I find it hard pressed to believe that the Breakers would go into the season with five locals at the big spots without an impact big.

Considering I thought Vodanovich's time with the Breakers had ended with the booze up on the Perth flight, I'm glad to see him back. His issue two years ago was his conditioning - here's hoping two years in Sydney (and two years munching NZNBL talent from all quarters) has also remedied that part.

I suspect Rasmus Bach is back to be a backup guard. In which case, we're looking for four roles:
1. An import 4 who can slide to the 5, interior scorer type. Robert Franks comes to mind.
2. Playmaking wing who can play the 4 in closing lineups with Abercrombie in the 6th man/closing role. Scotty Hopson anyone?
3. Combo guard scorer who can play off-ball next to WMW, who's looking for him to score. Taller Corey Webster.
4. A local, reliable backup PG who is likely third-string in minutes behind WMW and the import scorer. Trusty hand - Jarrod Kenny is the #1, #2 and #3 choice here.

Considering Rob Loe was in the doghouse due to his exit for personal reasons, there's a lot on his shoulders for 22-23 in a possible rotation:

Loe / Timmins
Import / Vodanovich
Import / Abercrombie / Fotu
Import / Bach
WMW / Kenny

Reply #893020 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

I think you won't be far off PyroCross.
I think Maor will be talking to Hopsons agent and I think if Waardenburg was coming it would be done by now.

Kenny & Ngatai seem to be out of Cairns so both may be options to fill out the bench. They aren't exactly exciting prospects that propel NZ into the title conversation but they both have played at this level for a while and have relationships and chemistry with many of the local contingent from the National team.

Reply #893060 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:37 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754