Ethics101
Two years ago

Hawthorn Basketball - Privacy Play HQ Issue

Can someone please advise how PRIVATE player registration information from Hawthorn Basketball Association, who are now in the hands of Basketball Victoria, (due to financial mismanagement) is being used by Basketball X to promote their programs - who are owned by the Bob Cats in Seaford.

I thought when we signed up to Play HQ that our details were only meant to be used for that seasons comp we were playing in , not passed on / or sold to any other organisation ?

Stinks of breach of privacy ?????

Topic #50235 | Report this topic

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

Interesting point.
Surely they (BV)are not selling people's information so I wonder what’s going on there?

Reply #895259 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

I thought Play HQ (established by BV) was a secure database? Then again with the mismanagement at Hawthorn - suppose it is not surprising !

Reply #895262 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Two years ago

Isn't basketball X run by one of the ex hawthorn managers??

Reply #895268 | Report this post

KeepHoopDreaming  
Two years ago

What does it say in the T's and C's (if you can find them)?

Reply #895276 | Report this post

AssistantsPen  
Two years ago

Hawthorn pulling out VJBL next season - email just released

Reply #895278 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

Bad to worse for the Magic powerhouse

Reply #895279 | Report this post

Rr  
Two years ago

What did the email say?

Reply #895286 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

BV have released a Statement tonight - Magic families have been contacted today.

Reply #895291 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

I'm sure BV has a plan for all those kids this club’s admin leadership has let down. I heard a parent group tried to pay off the debt and effectively buy the club? Not across the details but sounds like it may have required some muddy water for BV.

Reply #895298 | Report this post

Edinburgh 44  
Two years ago

Yeah they are setting them free to find abnother club. The scamble has already started. It's open season on any of their decent juniors and it's going to be a mess.

Reply #895300 | Report this post

Monix  
Two years ago

Would Camberwell move into the Boroondara facility ?

Reply #895301 | Report this post

LC  
Two years ago

One would think Camberwell would commence using Boroondara stadium.

The recruiting of Hawthorn players has already begun from what I hear!!!

Reply #895324 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

It is illegal to share the hawthorn database with a private company isn't it? Who would have OKed that? Is it a PlayHQ security issue or whoever runs the Hawthorn admin issue (BV?)?

It looks bleak for the lower end team kids at hawthorn which is sad. And yes, I agree that acquiring boroondara is a logical step for what appears to be an ever expanding Camberwell Dragons!

Reply #895329 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Have you read T&C's?

Reply #895335 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

Had me on a goose chase Anon. If they were published, I can't find them.

Reply #895347 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

I have read the T & C of Play HQ and they do refer to the below, Hawthorn had a privacy policy that no data was more than 6 months old, which was held in their data base - which is BS as players who have not played for 5-8 years have also been getting the Basketball X spam - the data collected has not been used for the purpose it was collected for - thus breach of privacy!

Off - Play HQ Privacy Policy

We are committed to handling your personal information in accordance with the applicable privacy legislation in our clients' jurisdiction, including the Australian Privacy Principles (contained in Schedule 1 of the Privacy Act 1988) and all other applicable legislation relating to the use of your personal data (Law). We review our Privacy Policy regularly to ensure it is kept up-to-date.

Reply #895349 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

Hardly a big issue, I would have thought. On the 1-10 scale of importance, somewhere near 1. Shame about Hawthorn though.

Reply #895355 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

Spamming members without the right to do so isn't ideal.

Reply #895357 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

DO you really want your child's private details leaked and used - it is not only the parents info !

Reply #895363 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Hoopin. Took me 2 seconds to find them. On the signup page

Reply #895374 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

"We may disclose your personal information (excluding sensitive information) to third party providers of mail distribution and payment services. We will also disclose your personal information (including any sensitive information shared with us) to secure data storage providers. If these providers are based overseas we take steps to ensure that they comply with the same or similar standards of privacy as those found under Australian law."

Reply #895375 | Report this post

Mr Dizzy  
Two years ago

Select Email
Hit Delete
Problem Solved

Reply #895382 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

Yep, and then block sender. No big deal.

Reply #895383 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

Found.
But nightwing, that's not what this says.

https://www.hawthornbasketball.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/HBA_PrivacyStatement.pdf

Reply #895391 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

I think the issue is that BV hired SAS to help run Hawthorn and SAS/Bobcats and Basketball X are all owned by the same owners and they used Hawthorn's Play HQ database for their own profit

Reply #895410 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

That's quite an accusation!

Reply #895434 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

I quoted the PlayHQ policy.

Nothing in the Hawthorn policy says they won't give third parties email contacts. Every database manager does it. It's how they make money!

Reply #895444 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

'Above all, this statement is your assurance that we never take your privacy for granted and always take the utmost care in protecting your personal information'

Doesn’t seem to say they collect personal information to pass on to externals anywhere. I’m confident BV won’t perceive selling the database or even giving it away as appropriate. They have had a hard enough time managing the shambles they inherited. This is another problem they don’t need.

Pretty sure privacy laws also make what you are suggesting about database sharing practices illegal Nightwing? Just because it happens doesn’t mean it’s ok.

Reply #895472 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

Seriously , every database manager does it ? We are talking about kids details, what if the info get's into the wrong hands.

There are laws for a reason. Plus , I don't think BV or parent's who signed up to the platform for kids to play basketball would be too pleased.

At a community level we do so much to look after our kids and ensure they are safe and then this!

Reply #895479 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Two years ago

Isn't the Bv ceo a partner in playhq?

Reply #895480 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

An email address is not considered personal details, its a sellable list. Just because they've had access to an email doesn't mean they have access to any other details.

You anti Hawthorn mob are a rare breed indeed.

Reply #895482 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

Mobiles (parents/players) have been spammed too , with SMS messages - so , it is an important issue and breach.

Reply #895484 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Hawthorn privacy policy doesn't apply in this case. This is playhq.

Billy bob you are correct BV are a stakeholder in playhq.

From Playhq

We may disclose your personal information (excluding sensitive information) to third party providers of mail distribution and payment services. We will also disclose your personal information (including any sensitive information shared with us) to secure data storage providers. If these providers are based overseas we take steps to ensure that they comply with the same or similar standards of privacy as those found under Australian law.

Reply #895492 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

I believe you are mistaken. The Hawthorn database was misused by Hawthorn. PlayHQ and it's platform have not been hacked or misused at the BV level. Unless you are implying BV are selling their member data?
The excuses for poor business practice by the association are cute though.

Reply #895507 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

@ Anon HBA Privacy Policy around Data also states -

How do we handle your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you every 6 months as you register to play as an HBA member. This registration is a requirement of
Basketball Victoria's Registration and Insurance Procedure.
We may disclose or use your personal information for the purposes described in "Why do we collect personal information?"
We will use and disclose your personal information for the purposes we collected it as well as purposes that are related, where you would reasonably expect
us to.

The data being used by Hawthorn/SAS is more than 6 months old - JUNIOR DOMESTIC basketball has not been played at Hawthorn since May 2021!

So NO ONE on the database being used is registered to play for Hawthorn and is NOT a member , except Senior Domestic players and current Magic rep players.

The database we are referring to holds data that contained registration data for the past 5-7 years plus , as families who's kids haven't played for some 4-5 years are getting email/mobile spam as well !

Reply #895518 | Report this post

Saphire  
Two years ago

Exactly what Spam are you getting? I get sent via post SEDA information which must be coming from either our rep club (not Hawthorn) or BV. I don't get any emails about basketball camps

Reply #895538 | Report this post

Mr Dizzy  
Two years ago

@ Ethics, Basketball Hawthorn ran Junior Domestic completion until December 2021

Reply #895607 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

@ Mr Dizzy - actually no it didn't , there were 5 rounds played in the Winter season (late May 21), then the season was cancelled due to COVID. As there was the issue of HBA keeping domestic funds for rounds not played and the no refund policy - thus the start of the breakdown of HBA and the unethical board!

Reply #895612 | Report this post

Mr Dizzy  
Two years ago

@ Ethics, apart from the fact Basketball Hawthorn ran Junior Domestic from 13 November to 19 December.

https://www.hawthornbasketball.com.au/junior-basketball-is-back/

So you are wrong about this and therefore probably wrong about a lot of things.

Reply #895614 | Report this post

Footloose  
Two years ago

Have you ever heard of an association where you pay for a bye round??? Highway robbery. Why would anyone want to play at an association who rip their customers off like that? Especially when there are many other options in neighbouring suburbs. I'm surprised they survived as long as they did tbh

Reply #895615 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

@ MR Dizzy, I was referring to the actual games played in the Winter season of 2021- Winter normally runs from April to early Sept - 5 rounds were played in total that season ,as the season was cancelled.

Hawthorn charged for rounds in advance - 10 rounds were paid for, for Winter - the Clubs didn't pay the final 5 rounds as they disagreed with Hawthorn's so called refund policy (which was never agreed) , as Clubs gave that money back to players - Hawthorn kept 5 rounds worth and the Finance levy .

So - it was never back !

Reply #895621 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

@footloose. $95 dollars for a bye I believe.
The comp run in December included ZERO clubs. I believe the clubs officially left hawthorn well before then meaning the 6 months for keeping data according to their policy has well and truly lapsed.
If that was even the point though! passing on that database was the wrong thing to do regardless.

Reply #895627 | Report this post

Relaxed coach  
Two years ago

Wow, how about a little bit of perspective a basketball Association has basically collapsed and you are concerned about a potential privacy breach. you voluntarily gave your data to multiple databases relating to basketball activities.

Obviously perspective is not your thing. But, if you are truly worried about it contact the database holder and asked to be removed.

Reply #895699 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754