Isaac
Two years ago

NBL23 Way Too Early Predictions

Here's an NBL article in which the following league staff/media/etc pick various awards and surprises.

NBL23 Way Too Early Predictions

Liam Santamaria
Peter Hooley
Andrew Gaze
Corey Williams
Jenni Screen
Matt Logue
Jo Healy
Kane Pitman
Michael Houben
Damon Lowery

To play along at home, here are the questions:

Who will win the MVP?
Who will win the Coach of the Year?
Who will make All-NBL First Team?
Who will win the Most Improved Player?
Who will be the next NBL player to make the NBA?
Which player or team will be this season's surprise packet?
In no order, who will make the Finals (including the Play-In Tournament)?
Who will win the championship?

Topic #50362 | Report this topic

LV  
Two years ago

Nothing too surprising there

ALL NBL predictions

Cotton- 10 votes
Cooks= 9 votes
Baynes- 6
Creek- 6
Tucker- 5 votes
2 votes- Randall II, T Johnson, Walton Jr, Vasiljevic
1 vote- Cleveland, Manek, Franks, Harvey, Travers, D Johnson

My prediction is Baynes, Cooks, Tucker, Cotton and Walton Jr

Tucker and Walton Jr are in a good spot where they have a good system, good coach, winning team and they'll have opportunities to really be key players on their teams, both have really strong pedigrees

Hukporti, Humphries (2 votes) and Okwera all getting predicted for most improved, people are expecting another JLA type situation. I'm hoping so. Not sure Humphries should really be eligible though, as he had a down year through injury, he was already a star in 20/21

Reply #897732 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Two years ago

All the geniuses on board here fortunately!

Xavier Cooks is a very good player in this league but I'd be very surprised if he’s MVP.

Reply #897742 | Report this post

The Big Duke  
Two years ago

All the analysts picking the Kings LOL, they will not be playing in the 2023 grand final series and will be in a dog fight to make the finals IMO. Losing Martin is going to strangle them offensively, especially when they're starting Cooks and Simon who are both horrific shooters. They will be seeing plenty of zone that's for sure. Lets not forget they lost Jalen Adams who single handedly won them games last season

Reply #897743 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

I see plenty of T's for coach Buford this season as his roster struggles. It’s amazing everyone picking Cooks for MVP. He hasn’t been Jordan in the NZNBL. He’s a quality player but let’s not get carried away

Reply #897749 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Simon hasn't been brought in to be top scorer, though his last season in Germany he was very good offensively and also won the defensive player of the year.
Cooks would be a surprise at mvp and wasn’t Jordan like in nznbl, they got knocked out in semi.
Sydney are still favourites imo as Glover, Dejan plus there imports will be enough scoring power. Noi while poor defensively can score in bunches as well.
Perth also will be right back in calculations if Rillie can coach.

Reply #897751 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Glover is hardly a scorer

Reply #897752 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

MVP my name man is DJ. Fresh off comm games he have his most domineering season ever and led mighty sixers to the pinnacles of success.... building very formal team is CJ...lighten DJ load to be able to dominate
Hearing a first here... sixers connection...

Reply #897753 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

He just played rubbish and lost to a mediocre South Adelaide team in NBL1 Central. Comm games..you're such a poor troll

Reply #897755 | Report this post

twenty four  
Two years ago

Jenni Screen drew the short straw it seems.

Reply #897756 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Two years ago

If this Panel is to be believed, neither island team and neither Queensland team will impact the playoffs.
Or so I'm reading it.
And so it may be.
But to dismiss the Jackers in '23, after their inaugural season triumph, seems odd.

Reply #897757 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Calling that group a panel of experts is a stretch.

Reply #897758 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Wow how many of these's panelist are picking the Kings to win the championship.

Kings have lost all their star imports. Cooks and Simon don’t even score much. I’ll see the Kings just struggling to make the top-4 and will bow out in straight sets in the play-in tournament.

I got Wildcats, Sixers, Phoenix, United as my top-4, but the other teams below I got no idea who will finish where. I’m interested to see how Brisbane and New Zealand at home will go.

Reply #897759 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"It's amazing everyone picking Cooks for MVP. "

He was one of the best players in the league last season, and the grand final MVP, no reason he won't be in the mix.

Reply #897760 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Melbourne under Vickerman always find a way, and they look tough again this season.

I just still feel like something is missing with Adelaide...but they should be top 6 on talent alone.

Reply #897761 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Two years ago

There are some strange predictions here, though Santa's makes sense - Sydney in the play-in range (rather than the playoff range) seems right based on the import changes.

Reply #897762 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Adelaide should be better than top 6 on talent. Well-regarded new import with two strong known quantities, and then proven Australian options in McCarron/Dech/DJ. Top 2-3 on paper, IMO.

Reply #897763 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Isaac, fair point. Concerns for me are balance between Franks and DJ, big man defense and reliance on McCarron to do lots of heavy lifting again. Maybe lacking a true spark at PG?

Competition looks pretty even though, besides maybe Cairns and Illawarra. But we all know not to rule in or out on that basis.

Reply #897764 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

What also factors greatly into their success will be CJ who hasn't proven himself as a head coach yet.

Reply #897765 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Sebby my mate.. you not reading correctly Comme games silver medal. He is is outstanding form..
Too many under rate..

Reply #897767 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

my too early predictions is that Bryce will be MVP. I think the team makeup will suit him more

Reply #897768 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I got Wildcats on top with their easy draw, then Sixers second but not sure where to put both Melbourne teams??

Reply #897769 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Too early predictions right now:

SEM
Perth
Sydney
Adelaide
Melbourne
Brisbane
NZ
Tasmania
Hawks
Cairns

Reply #897770 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

Tasmania underrated. And I think they've gotten better.

Breakers are a wildcard. Team is much more balanced and will have home games.

Reply #897771 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Tassie were underrated last season no doubt about it, but you look at what has happened in the off-season and you've got 3, probably 4 actually non-finals teams that have improved a lot.

It’s very hard to put Tassie top 6 on that basis

Reply #897772 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

A lot of people make the mistake of predicting team success on the individual talent on paper. The team's recent history of playing as a unit at both ends, and the coach's ability of getting the best out of his team are just as important.

Reply #897777 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

John Rillie coach of the year. Champions will come out out one of Perth, Melbourne or Adelaide.

Reply #897779 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

This:

"A lot of people make the mistake of predicting team success on the individual talent on paper. The team's recent history of playing as a unit at both ends, and the coach's ability of getting the best out of his team are just as important."

Well said.

Can understand people reacting to the recruitment of some great imports / Baynes etc.

I also recall the same discussions, more so, at the start of last season, with the recruitment of one team in particular by some posters questioned repeatedly.

Enjoyed the season last year thoroughly and expect to this year. Great to have a strong NBL with some great teams and very different approaches to development of teams and how they are run.

I'm predicting some posters will underestimate some teams and overestimate others once again!!

Reply #897783 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Two years ago

MVP: Cotton
Coach: Vickerman
First Team: Cotton, Tucker, Creek, Cooks, Baynes
MIP: McDowell-White
Next NBA Player: Tucker
Finals: Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Adelaide, South East Melbourne, Brisbane
Champions: Melbourne

Reply #897792 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:14 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754