Two years ago

Wildcats @ JackJumpers

8pm AEDT
5pm WA

TaShawn Thomas cleared to play.

Topic #50532 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Jumpers in good form against a full strength cats, I'm expecting a great contest. I think the cats can get this by a few on the back of Cotton.

Reply #902163 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Perth should win but jumpers are in great form. Cliffhanger expected. Perth has cotton in the clutch. Perth wins

Reply #902168 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

How is that a charge on cotton??? Feet in the air

Reply #902216 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

You don't have to have your feet on the floor to draw a charge.

Reply #902217 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Bryce can't dribble the ball up the court just gets shoved out of court, no way the defender had position... what would bubbles be saying...

Reply #902218 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

Dear NBL

Headset cam blocking 1/4 of the screen while the ball is in play is a bad idea scrap it.

Reply #902220 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

Dear NBL

Headset cam blocking 1/4 of the screen while the ball is in play is a bad idea scrap it.

Reply #902221 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

When Roth got his game face on, he's the sort bloke you would want on your side in a brawl.
I was a Stewart supporter and still think he an excellent coach but Roth has been remarkable.

Reply #902222 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Chill wildcats fans chill you will get the calls.

Reply #902223 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Two years ago

Jackies are on fire

Reply #902224 | Report this post

Graham  
Two years ago

Anyone got a stream?

Reply #902225 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Jack humpers best quarter of the season. That was damn impressive

Reply #902227 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Perth shit, nbl ref's ability to call travels only thing worse.

Reply #902228 | Report this post

Jacket  
Two years ago

Is there a biggest chance of me climbing up Mount Everest at night in the middle of a blizzard blind folded or an NBL game going more than 30 seconds without a foul being called?

If the NBL wants to know there TV ratings are abysmal, they need to look at there product.
Bat shit boring

Reply #902229 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

Wildcats a rabble. Maybe SM wasn't the problem? Jackies look very, very good.

Reply #902230 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Cairns, Jack jumpers making the so called experts look silly

Reply #902231 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Jacket I thought you went to the cricket, grass grow to fast for you.

There is no hero ball from the JJs, I picked them in my six but they could fight for the championship.

Reply #902233 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Charge on Thomas another joke, defender is moving forwards, how is that possibly a charge.

Reply #902234 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Manek looks ordinary. Blanchfield got his contract and back to being his normal underachieving self. Norton is playing with some kind injury. Clearly looks hindered.

Travers to inconsistent.. Webster and Wagstaff struggling. Shervile deserve a fair go

Reply #902235 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

The cats are not a top 4 team by the look of it. JJ's could be top 2 end of season.

Reply #902236 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Jackjumpers gettin rated yet?

Reply #902237 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Kenyon the Cotton stopper. Yes I tipped the cats tonight, not even close. Blanchfield has only ever played well for Gleeson, the rest his career is under achieving, Norton overrated as well.

Reply #902238 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two years ago

Lame. The gap in talent between Cotton and the next bloke is orders of magnitude too big

Reply #902239 | Report this post

Jatz  
Two years ago

Jumpers 17 3's. Carnage. Perth smashed 103-72. Are the Jumpers that good or are the Cats going to have a tough season?

Reply #902240 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Manek looking to be a weak spot, he has been brought in to be a scorer and hasn't looked close to getting towards 20 points. Maybe need to consider bringing in a more athletic slashing type player that can create some energy in the team.

Reply #902241 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

"How to Ruin a Franchise" by Craig Hutchison.

Reply #902243 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two years ago

Manek first year out of college. Unless he's was a draft stash you would not expect too much in first year. He has improved every game. Good prospect for contract extension.

Reply #902245 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

Jackie can win the championship quite frankly.

So much better offensively and now that McDaniel is back, their D has cranked up too.

Magnay back "in a few weeks" is just icing on the cake, but frankly you'd have him playing spot minutes until he shows he can add to what the team is doing.

Reply #902246 | Report this post

Beach Baller  
Two years ago

Jackies knockers looking silly again. 2nd year in a row!!

Reply #902250 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Remember when Greg Hire tweeted travers was better than Giddey. Aged well.
Nice win JJs, gee they play hard and well together.

Reply #902254 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I'll be honest I just didn't get last season how a lot of Wildcats fans either didn't rate Vic Law or wanted him gone. In a team that only has one legit scorer in Cotton too. They were never going to find a better import than Law and got an undersized Thomas and a guy fresh out of college.

I don't know if that was Rillie's doing rating college kids too highly but as a soft big he was always going to struggle playing against professional men. As someone else said Blanchfield is set he got his big 3 year contract now so he's all good, the NBL's best downhill skier.

Reply #902255 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Two years ago

Surely Perth struggled because of the jetlag right?

Reply #902260 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

The Jackie's are the Spurs of the NBL and I’m here for it

Reply #902262 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

JJs are yet to play consistently, there have been some big swings in results. Need a few more wins to prove they are legit.

Most impressive thing about the franchise is the buy in from players re being humble but hungry and not only talking about playing together as a team but demonstrating it.

Matt Kenyon is the epitome of this - totally written off on this forum when recruited. Great defensive player who has added the 3 ball. After an early season loss he described defence being like a piece of string and all 5 players need to adjust when one part moves and that wasn't happening - it changed and it is.

After the game against Cairns where they were flogged Jarrad Weeks told the crowd the performance was not good enough and they will improve.

Have a lot of respect for the imports - the new ones coming in have had some comparisons to previous imports but damn the play in an impressive selfless way.

Game against the Breakers coming up is big for the JJs.

Reply #902263 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Perth just lacks any offensive firepower after cotton. Last year atleast they had Law as a legit scorer behind cotton this season they have no one. Manek is just not the guy. To raw and physically not ready. Has no post up or a mid range game. Travers is talented but to inconsistent. I mean outside of that Thomas, blanchfield and co provide very little

Reply #902265 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Jimmmy - have a look at the scoring spread from last night.

No Jackjumper player scored over 20.

Top scorer had 17, 5 players had over 10 points and a DP who is getting minutes Sean McDonald had 9.

https://nbl.com.au/games/2116387

Even spread of scorers, good ball movement, not great egos who need their 20 plus a night.

Import who top scored with 17 started on the bench.

Spread of scoring and great D wins games.

Reply #902267 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Apologies McVeigh with 17 was the top scorer for the Jackjumpers, Kelly had 16.

Reply #902268 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Cotton still plays team, Law played for Law, there is a difference.

Perth will play finals, certainly now it's six teams. The loss Gleeson and now we see how good Roth is was massive, Gleeson also new how to recruit. As a neutral supporter it’s nice to see Perth fans actually see how it is for most teams.

Reply #902271 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

Last year I went for the JJs because they were the underdog. Now I barrack for them solely because of the way they play.Go jacks

Reply #902272 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

As a neutral supporter it's nice to see Perth fans actually see how it is for most teams.

Plus Roth and Forde doing well with unfancied sides also hurts.

Reply #902275 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Two years ago

Alot of bad decisions have been made over past few years.. And quality / character guys.. The krew over actual needs of the team '.

Jesse should have been moved on, steindl being resigned while at the time probably wasn't a priority, was a bucket more times then blanchifield or wagstaff if given more chance.. It alsonmeans that manek probably doesn't even get a look this year

Roth should have been obvious successor to Gleeson... Pinder gets a offer which is respectful, no matter what happened with dad

And most importantly the need for a proven big who is also a decent defender is selected ( oh that could have Pinder)

Add to the fact Sen went cheap and didn't pony up for thon who wanted to play last year in perth, and not even a decent offer for duop reath so the white cats can prove that old skool brand of aussie bball reigns Supreme leads us herz

Over rated, slow vets who struggle to create there own offense '' and to much reliance on cotton again

Reply #902276 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

I think an import point guard is what they are missing, which other teams including JJ's have capitalised on by having an import point guard.

Reply #902277 | Report this post

CT  
Two years ago

The wildcats talk a big game about wildcats culture but it evaporated years ago. There's nobody connected to that team who's got the pull of Gleeson, Damo or Roth. They're good enough to be in an expanded top 6 but unless Cotton has a few games for the history books they'll struggle to see a GF.

Reply #902279 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Two years ago

Norton isn't a offensive player

Wagstaff isn't reliable, but his shot was better first few games

Travers isn't naturally offensive force

Blanchifield is inconsistent

Thomas also is defense first

Manek looks out his depth

Cats fans can scream up n down about needed another big.. But your offense cznt be so dependent on 1 player, he will break down before long

Saw that wit d rose and those bulls teams in fact those bulls teams weren't that much diff

Reply #902281 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

We're basically screwed.

SEG naively believe by retaining the same players and roster composition success will continue.

They've ignored other factors such as age and the fact there used to be a master coach at the helm who got the absolute best out of his squad.

Reply #902284 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Two years ago

Facts I don't know it its more so ON Sen or Danny mills

He has looked incompetent in filling glaring needs

Reply #902288 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

To be fair to new ownership group and Mills, Cotton takes up a lot of money, his not being given citizenship by now is deplorable.

Reply #902289 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

The end of the dynasties of New Zealand and Perth have pretty closely coincided with the departure of Mika Vukona and Damian Martin. Guys like that and Nick Kay contribute so much more than can ever be seen on the stat sheet.

Without the same culture, standards and pure heart that those guys provide, their clubs just become like any other, vulnerable to fluctuations they weren't previously. They don't have the intangibles edge they had for so long.

Around the current league, Xavier Cooks is the guy who stands out as providing something similar to those two, while Matt Kenyon and Fab Krslovic set incredible standards in Tassie amongst a team of standard setters.

Reply #902290 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Facts I don't know it its more so ON Sen or Danny mills

He has looked incompetent in filling glaring needs

Both, since SEG employed Mills and didn't sack him after the first season.

A huge red flag occurred when Hutchy, once he'd appointed Mills, was on a podcast where he said the new GM was good due to being a local Perth boy who had NBA experience. Translation: he's cheap as no relocation is necessary/I'm a n00b who thinks America automatically means good in a basketball context.

Said NBA experience was video work in the D-League where he met ScoMo and ultimately recruited his mate over. So one has to wonder how vigorous and transparent the head coach recruitment process was.

The club is now an amateur hour operation.

Reply #902291 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Roth should have been obvious successor to Gleeson
Roth signed with the JackJumpers months before Gleeson departed.

Reply #902292 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I think it's a safe assumption to make if Bendat ownership was to continue they'd have a provision in place for Roth or another successor from the Gleeson coaching tree, contingent on the timing of the latter's decision to leave.

Whereas SEG have come in and used a scattergun approach with no clear plan in just over a year.

It's like night and day.

Reply #902294 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

I'll be honest I just didn't get last season how a lot of Wildcats fans either didn't rate Vic Law or wanted him gone.

I never understood the level of disrespect towards him either. There was a lot.
Bottom line - the guy was a star player and we have not filled that void.
But the main thing now is that most Cats fans are happy because his supposedly terrible attitude is gone. All those points he scored - he scored them for himself not for the Wildcats. Ditto all those boards he pulled down. They were selfish boards, not Wildcats boards.

Reply #902305 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Don't think Law was the issue as we are seeing the same thing again this year. What I didn't like about Law was his tendency to get injured, two seasons in the NBL and two injuries that put him out of the game for the season. Admittedly late season for the cats but still likely cost us the finals.

The problem I had was with the first year of cats missing finals, there was no clean out so the same problem players who have been brought over from 2021-22 and delivering the same stuff. Underperforming from Blanchfield, Wagstaff, Norton who as a group wouldn't be cheap and are underdelivering big time.

So the pressure falls back on the imports as it often does, Manek was hyped as a Goulding type 3 point shooter, but fair to say Law did everything Manek does but better. Thomas early days with injuries so benefit of the doubt there.

What I dont think is that the cats can sit on their hands till end of season, losing looks to be infectious in this group so they might need to swing an axe somewhere around personnel. They need a high energy athletic type import similar to XRM, Cleveland and similar that can make up for their slowness.

Reply #902311 | Report this post

CT  
Two years ago

Mika Vukona went down to Tassie as some kind of culture consultant, and bot does it show.

Reply #902358 | Report this post

Graham  
Two years ago

I'm a giant Wildcats stan and got to see no less than 6 or 7 titles live (1995 and 2010 the most amazing) and 2 losses live (1993 and 2013 losses, 1993 hurt like nothing else)

Reply #902366 | Report this post

Graham  
Two years ago

I'm a giant Wildcats stan and got to see no less than 6 or 7 titles live (1995 and 2010 the most amazing) and 2 losses live (1993 and 2013 losses, 1993 hurt like nothing else)

Reply #902367 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Hands down the 1993 GF G3 loss was the most painful ever. Still hurts.

Reply #902369 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Hold up, did you just say the 2010 GF was amazing?

It is the worst NBL Grand Final in terms of playing squad quality in the professional era due to the chasm created by spending retraction after the Bullets and Kings went bust and Dragons withdrew.

Reply #902371 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

2010 was also the year Anstey did his hip which ended his career, with Daniel Johnson stepping into his place as the Tigers main 5 man

And Sam McKinnon struggled with injuries, never going anywhere remotely close to recapturing his Bullets MVP form, ultimately retiring in 2010 also

So Bullets, Kings and Dragons had gone, and Tigers were decimated. NZ had not fully emerged with Abercrombie, Pledger and Webster still young. Yeah 2010 felt like a void season in hindsight.

Reply #902378 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Yes, Tigers had a down year which also didn't help.

Breakers ended up in 5th after a hot second half to the season and narrowly missed out on playoffs - if they had snuck in I firmly believe the championship would have been theirs and an earlier start to the dynasty.

Reply #902400 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Perth has three glaring problems. Manek is underperforming badly. They probably thought he will open the court for Cotton with his struggling outside shot. He is just way to raw and limited if his three ball is not falling to be effective .

Blanchfield, Travers and Norton are struggling. Norton looks like he is playing through another injury which he seems to suffer from every year. These poor guys body has been smashed over the years.

Blanchfield is underachieving yet again after getting a long term deal. He is a mental midget with zero intangibles . I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him to be a leader or reliable player.

Travers has all the talent in the world but he is way to incredible shooter and needs to be far more assertive with the ball.

The bench production is another issue. I already mentioned Travers and the other disappointment has been Webster. He is not looking to score like he should be to take the pressure off cotton. It seems JR wants use Corey as more of a playmaker then a shooter/ scorer.

Reply #902418 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

I meant Travers inconsistent shooter

Reply #902419 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:51 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754