Manu Fieldel
Two years ago

Josh Giddey's defence

A mate who's an OKC fan said that Giddey simply isn't up to the task defensively, can't stay in front of guys. That would be a problem for a championship contending team. Reckons he'll be guarding opposition team's 4s long-term as he continues filling out. How often to teams crossmatch in the playoffs? Not a lot I would've thought, which makes me wonder about his place in the first unit.

Does he make it as a backcourt guy long-term, defensive liability but offensive powerhouse, hidden on defence with Dort and SGA? Or does he fall in the rotation because of his D? He's not getting any quicker on his feet especially with the weight he's putting on.

Topic #50602 | Report this topic

Ben  
Two years ago

My take was that his effort level on d simply hadn't been there, rather than a lack of ability itself. Seems he saves himself for offense, much like many other US pros. A little bemusing as effort on defence is generally a trait Aussies play through.

Either way - as you insinuated, OKC will be fine with the handful of other dogs they can put on court. Happens on almost every other team, and when it comes to nut crunch time in the Playoffe (should/when they get there) perhaps Josh cranks it up then. Big Josh fan and not concerned,

Reply #904276 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yeah he'll be fine. With smaller line ups these days cross matching is far more common, even in the playoffs.

It is funny though that Josh plays more like Andrew Gaze while Gaze's own kid is more of a hustle and D guy like Wazza.

Reply #904280 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

Watched him closely today against Celtics. He struggled to defend some very good players. I would bet that he works harder on his deficiencies than Benny.

Reply #904294 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754