Yup
Two years ago

United to sign American big man Marcus Lee

ESPN got it first

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/35028982/nbl-melbourne-united-agree-sign-big-man-marcus-lee

Waits for someone to watch a 90 second highlight clip and declare him future MVP of the league

Topic #50603 | Report this topic

Yup  
Two years ago

Lee, a 6'11 centre who's known for playing above the rim, is coming off a short stint with Basquet Manresa in Spain's Liga ACB and the Basketball Champions League, averaging 7.1 points and 5.2 rebounds, in 20 minutes a game.

Reply #904302 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Someone beat me in other thread, delete if need be

Reply #904303 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

He's still listed on his previous clubs list, Baxi Manresa. Maybe I’ve got the wrong Marcus Lee.

Reply #904304 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

7pts a game really?

Sotto will destroy this guy.

Reply #904307 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Not the floor spacing 4/5 I was after

But, let's face it, there was a few holes in United's roster and this was one

Lee is a Hukporti replacement, not a starting 4 man. Provides needed support for Humphries.

I'm interpreting this as a vote of confidence in Okwera continuing his recent form and making a major contribution at the 4 spot, along with a combination of Barlow, Newley and Peatling (when he returns- which should be soon).

Reply #904308 | Report this post

Rod Grizzard fan  
Two years ago

People really don't understand European stats in comparison...

Reply #904309 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Daly is this sarcasm? Check his minutes played, check the league standard he is coming from. Be better.

Reply #904311 | Report this post

Edinburgh 90  
Two years ago

Very underwhelming signing. Just got cut from the worst team in Spain after performing very poorly and being called out repeatedly by his coach for his soft, lazy play. Was shooting 29% from the free throw line! Was in Turkey the year before and team got relegated. Perpetual underachiever in college as well. Not clear that he's even an upgrade on Caroline. United had to do much better with their recruiting and clearly struck out and panicked.

Reply #904312 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

No sarcasm. Did you see how Kai dominated Zhou Qi a few weeks ago?

King Kai will easily dominate this new import scrub.

Reply #904314 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

@edinburgh on the other hand, It wasn't clear to me that Caroline added anything to this team at all.

Since Caroline was injured, Okwera's made an impact in that 4 spot. I'm hopeful he continues that.

Lee should hopefully at least provide solid rim protection, energy and rebounding in 15 minutes a night backing up Humphries. And unlike Caroline actually be able to finish at the hoop, from pick and rolls or put backs.

Reply #904315 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I do agree though it's an underwhelming signing in the sense that, he's not coming in and starring at the offensive end- which United probably needed if they were going to seriously contend.

This is someone who is limited offensively and doesn't significantly help the issues we've had there. Other than being a strong screener and roller who's always lurking and ready for a hand off and strong finish. Which is something I guess. But he'll probably average 6 points a game.

Reply #904316 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

They've gone for someone with similar athleticism and skillset as Hukporti, although not the same upside. It will definitely allow them to be more aggressive defensively, which is probably their number one need when it comes to generating easy scores.

Reply #904317 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I think to get the most out of Tucker and Humphries they needed someone who can space the floor.

Okwera can hit wide open threes but isn't someone who the defense must close out completely. They hedge on him, which closes the space and make it easier to help when Tucker and Humphries are trying to do their best work- which is near the hoop. Even XRM who prefers mid range.

But, the advantage Lee might bring is, as you said, further improvements on the defense. Like last year, this United lineup isn't going to be the best team in the half court offensively, so we'll need to rely on pushing the pace which does start with defense.

Reply #904318 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Jordan Caroline gone to Lee old club, straight swap.

Reply #904529 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

i read same were that Dwight howard signed for a team in taiwan for one million dollars just image if he signed for united

Reply #904923 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754