artpepper
Two years ago

Which commentator refers to three pointers as a treble?

Not sure if he knows but he's annoying as hell. Every time an athlete manages to maneuver a ball through a hoop from a distance of 22 feet or more, and he refers to the made basket as a word that symbolises the right hand on piano or the pitch of many brass instruments sounds really really stupid and is annoying. Almost as annoying as Jenny Screen's voice.

Topic #50656 | Report this topic

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Not sure, but I'm so done with the word 'hit’ to describe a made 3 lol

Reply #905800 | Report this post

artpepper  
Two years ago

"drops" is perhaps better than "hit", I agree.

Reply #905801 | Report this post

Tired Weevil  
Two years ago

Almost as annoying as Jenny Screen's voice.

Nothing is THAT annoying.

Reply #905802 | Report this post

Eroneus  
Two years ago

Dictionary indicates it's a reasonable term to use.

Reply #905803 | Report this post

Knowall  
Two years ago

I find treble terrible grating as well, used in darts and to horse racing I think. It's a 3. I assume your referring to the English dictionary, it’s an American sport.

Reply #905804 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

It's preferable to "trifecta" IMO

Reply #905805 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

It's preferable to "trifecta" IMO

I posted the same thing in the duplicate thread before seeing this.

They better not bring Heal back once he gets canned by the Flames.

Reply #905808 | Report this post

artpepper  
Two years ago

She literally sounds like a cat thats been run over by a 4wd

Reply #905809 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Pity there can't be an end of season poll where fans can vote off commentators survivor style. Screen would be one of the first getting her torch snuffed out. They say some people have a face for radio, what do you have when they have a voice for Morse code?
I understand commentators need a schtick, or a catchphrase to differentiate themselves, but some are truly awful and trying to rip off others. Homicide is such a Steven A Smith copycat it's unbelievable, from his quiet slow monologue that builds up to him ramming a controversial opinion down people's throats. Gaze is probably the best, not only in terms of playing credentials, but just his likeable personality, his banter and anecdotes.
It's a shame we're not like America where they can work their way up from lower local leagues, radio etc, and the cream rises to the top. Australia seems to just grab some ex players and shove them in there. And if so, I wonder what media training they do? Imagine if someone had given Screen a green light to sit behind a microphone.

Reply #905812 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"I assume your referring to the English dictionary, it's an American sport."

This is one of my all-time favourite/favorite comments on Hoops!

Reply #905813 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

I'm with Frisbee. I’m ringing up the hotlines to banish Screen, Lowry, Rosen and Rucker from commentary forever.

Reply #905816 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two years ago

"From the land of plenty" is the most annoying term used when a "treble" is "hit" but that is mainly because Homicide uses it.

Reply #905819 | Report this post

WC95  
Two years ago

NBL commentating is constantly cringy. A by-product of the game not being taken seriously by the media. Gaze is the only one doing a good job.

Reply #905823 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Montagna, Gazey and Santa together on the weekend was the best, Santa can be annoying but was good on weekend. It would be nice sometimes if they could keep up with who the fouls go on and how many the players are on. Just comment on the game more.

Reply #905824 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Just had a laugh out loud moment thinking about the West Adelaide commentary team in past years, I think our beloved leader Tim Brenton may have coined it.
Every 3 was " Shot from the Semaphore Fodder car park". Have to give it up for originality there and sponsorship inclusion.

Reply #905825 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

I think the league is doing a good job of bringing in some fresh faces mixed with the experienced ones and putting them through the paces. The pay off won't happen straight away but, especially with the team being Melbourne-based, in a few years we should have a smaller pool of commentators made up of the stronger ones. To be honest none of them bother me much - Jenny Screen isn't a natural and does babble a bit and make mistakes because she's filling air, but she's not alone there. If the game is good enough I don't care about the commentary, it's only when the game is dull that it really stands out for me.

Reply #905827 | Report this post

Frog39  
Two years ago

Wow there really are some overly critical media "experts" on this thread. I would love to see how well some of you perform your day jobs! I'm sure most of you would leave a heck of lot to be desired!!!

None of the commentators bother me that much, and people do generally get better over time. Very few people are a "natural" in front of the camera or on the mic. Give it a rest. If it bothers you that much, turn the volume down.

As for their use of language, you can't win here. If they try and use an alternate word they're "annoying," yet a more stock standard description like "hit" is too common and boring. Jeez.

Reply #905936 | Report this post

artpepper  
Two years ago

You don't have to be a natural on the mic to be a commentator or analyst. You just don't have to use the same inane verbiage all the time thinking it's amusing, or you can have voice coaching lessons so you don't send like Kermit the frog with AIDS.

Reply #905978 | Report this post

Frog39  
Two years ago

You also don't need to be a t0ssa who criticises people for the voice they were born with and have an irrational phobia of the use of certain words. You can go to therapy and learn how to be a decent human and actually focus on your own voice and social skills.

Reply #906146 | Report this post

zootsims  
Two years ago

Difference is NBL is a product and I am the consumer.
You wouldn't read a book by a talentless hack. You wouldn't buy an album if the vocalist was terrible with no range. You wouldn't by art that is terrible.

Maybe you are better suited for a place like twitter where the miserable losers of the world can commiserate against people who are achieving for society.

Reply #906149 | Report this post

Frog39  
Two years ago

Well your options are to watch on mute or don't "consume" the NBL at all. Pretty simple.

I truly hope you're as receptive to feedback in your personal career as you are to dishing it out. My guess is you wouldn't be.

Reply #906242 | Report this post

Outatime  
Two years ago

To answer your question OP, the treble offending commentator is "Jack Heverin".

Reply #906248 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:28 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754