Luuuc
Two years ago

WNBL Round 5

Wed 6:30pm - Melbourne vs Townsville (ESPN)

Thu 6:30pm - Perth vs Southside (9Now)

Sat 3:00pm - Canberra vs Sydney (9Now)
Sat 5:30pm - Southside vs Townsville (9Now)
Sat 7:30pm - Bendigo vs Adelaide (9Now)

All times are local.

Topic #50658 | Report this topic

Cosmo Spacely  
Two years ago

Canberra vs Sydney, first to score wins? will save everyone a lot of time and effort.

Reply #905925 | Report this post

Footloose  
Two years ago

Capitals were good last round and Flames are good for 3/4's against good teams, so I’m hoping for a good game.

Reply #905926 | Report this post

frankie223  
Two years ago

On the WNBL show, they stated there was 10 mothers in the comp. I had 9 on my list and couldn't get the 10th. Does anyone know who they all are.

Reply #905935 | Report this post

Footloose  
Two years ago

Kelly Wilson, Carley Ernst, LJ, Cayla Francis, Hawkins, Whitcomb, Bunton, I can only get to 8

Reply #905939 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Two years ago

Kelly Wilson
Lauren Jackson
Mia Murray
Cayla George
Abby Bishop
Alex Bunton
Sami Witcomb
Carly Ernst
Tianna Hawkins
Jasmin Fejo (Ade DP)

Reply #905940 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I don't watch a lot womens basketball but this game between boomers and fire is great. The nbl refs could learn from the wnbl refs, play flows, no make up calls, the commentary is very good as well, they call and discuss the game. Excellent product, the coaches aren’t screaming at refs either.

Reply #905954 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Two years ago

Kelsey Griffin is good in the comms box.

Reply #905957 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Cracking game from all players, officials and commentary. Great fourth quarter coming up.

Reply #905958 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Excellent game all round, boomers just taller which helps. Very good crowd in as well.

Reply #905961 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

Very entertaining game. Wallace vs Reid potential Opals point guard matchup was fun to watch and I think Wallace had the slight advantage in this one, even before Reid's unfortunate fall. Nelson-Ododa had a breakout game and Tiff Mitchell alternating between spectacular shotmaking and spectacular turnovers was amusing.

I think the key to this game was Melbourne defending the Reid pick and roll well in the second half. Townsville's offence grinds to a halt if Reid isn't making plays off the dribble. It's the second game in a row this has happened so will be interesting to see if they make any strategic adjustments.

Reply #905962 | Report this post

Footloose  
Two years ago

Atmosphere was awesome! Hope Reid is okay, she was having a great game until she got hurt

Reply #905963 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

You do know the WNBL refs are deemed below NBL refs don't you. In addition men’s and women’s basketball is played at totally different pace and physicality

Reply #905966 | Report this post

Footloose  
Two years ago

I actually thought Reid had the better of the matchup with Wallace

Reply #905968 | Report this post

Tired Weevil  
Two years ago

Awesome game, feel like Melbourne dodged a bullet to come away with the win with some many turnovers.

Jason Bennett is a quality commentator, and I think Jenni Screen could learn a thing or two off Kelsey in the commentary department.

Reply #905971 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Obviously the mens game is faster and men are naturally stronger, but wnbl refs were better.

Reply #905972 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Griffin and Bennett great duo, the best imo
Screen, hopefully no more of her.

Reply #905975 | Report this post

Hooping  
Two years ago

good game but the TV presentation from the WMBL is very poor.

Once of the worst basketballs ever made for TV, who signed off on that?

Why isnt one team in a light uniform with light compression garments.

tonight was black uniforms - which have a blue area on the back.

v Purple another dark colour, we several players wearing full length black compression leggings, or elbow sleeves.

Both teams with white numbers.

Boomers have a light purple set and could have worn white compressions.

Frustrating.

Reply #905976 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

With a total of about 15 games experience they did a great job. They'd get eaten alive at the next level. But that’s why all 3 are in the pathway.

Reply #905985 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Eeek. No sign of Sami in the building for this one.

Reply #906050 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

Good fight from Perth in that game, especially without Whitcomb. Still not convinced by Scherf as a primary playmaker (some of those turnovers were very hmmmmm) but she hit some big shots in the 4th quarter and did an admirable job inside being basically the only post player for Perth. They really missed Whitcomb's shooting and decision making down the stretch.

As for Southside, I think the last two games have shown that the difference between them being a championship contender vs being a borderline finals team is a healthy Kayla Thornton. Their much praised depth is overrated IMO.

Jenni Screen mis-explaining what the plus minus stat means in commentary was very eyeroll worthy. You can have a great plus minus stat in a game without contributing much to it at all. It's very lineup dependent.

Reply #906056 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

How was game 1 of the new improved production?

The game itself ... I'm proud of the amount of fight the Lynx showed. A few things roll differently and they could have stolen a W tonight.
Southside not playing nearly as well as their talent suggests they should. LJ excepted of course.

Reply #906060 | Report this post

Tired Weevil  
Two years ago

Southside not playing nearly as well as their talent suggests they should.

^ Totally agree. Reckon Perth would've won if Sami had been playing.

Reply #906062 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Just a $150 fine for Maley chosen over 1 game suspension.
What a joke lol, Seebohm gets $500 for saying what exactly?

Reply #906065 | Report this post

SamCro  
Two years ago

Seebohm slammed the umpiring publicly which you can't do after the game & basically campaigned for Maley to be reported thru the media. When in hindsight he should have put his & his team’s focus on playing the Boomers on Wednesday night which they subsequently lost.

Reply #906092 | Report this post

Cosmo Spacely  
Two years ago

"Seebohm slammed the umpiring publicly which you can't do after the game & basically campaigned for Maley to be reported thru the media"

He actually said that she should have been ejected and the outcome of the game may have been different. But that $150 fine has gotta sting, wow

Reply #906097 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

He said it was dirty play and said that he thought the refs should have ejected her.
Cost him $500.

Maley should have been ejected and atleast 1 game suspension imo.
She chose $150 fine over 1 game. Not comparable.

If Bendigo were going to be Up against Adelaide with no Maley, would lean towards Adelaide win.

Reply #906100 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Two years ago

Alison Schwagmeyer-Belger > Capitals

Reply #906102 | Report this post

LHY  
Two years ago

Anyone have the writing in the Maley/Seebolhm article? Or any footage?

Reply #906106 | Report this post

SamCro  
Two years ago

If Sydney loses today would Mr Pretend Coach (Heal) have his head on the chopping block? Flames are a basket case in the WNBL & the great experiment of Shane coaching Shyla has failed miserably, Shyla's game is going backwards at a rate of knots & in hindsight Shyla should have never left Townsville.

Reply #906185 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

Nice offensive outburst from the Flames for their first win of the season. Playing against the worst defence in the league may have helped, but 92 points at 55% field goal shooting is impressive. Maybe less Shyla Heal handling the ball though. Good to see Canberra's baby backcourt of Melbourne and Swain have solid games too.

Reply #906192 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Shyla has had an awful start to the season shooting-wise, but very efficient today with 7/15 overall and 3/6 3P
Flames 55% as a team.
I saw less than half of the game but the UC Caps were exactly what Sydney needed to get some scoring mojo back.

Flyers-Fire has been competitive so far.
Ruef hurt very early in the game. Will test the Fire in the 2nd half. Seemed almost like a non-contact from the little I could see, which is always concerning.

Reply #906198 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

Fun game between Townsville and Southside. I think Karlie Samuelson's shot fakes won Townsville the game lol. They got at least 8 points from them. Southside failed to read the scouting report on her shooting until too late which was bemusing.

Inspired by Chambers to put in Puoch late for defensive purposes - she chased Samuelson and Nicholson around well which makes me wonder why she didn't try it earlier.

Reply #906225 | Report this post

SamCro  
Two years ago

Kelly Wilson - please stop dribbling the air out of the basketball! Very, very frustrating to watch...

Reply #906238 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

30 & 10 for KG23 plus 6 steals. Maley 19 & 9.
Good close game most of the way but Adelaide seemed to get a bit panicky in crunch time and let it slip away.

Fire-Flyers was good too.

Quite the feast today.

Reply #906239 | Report this post

SP  
Two years ago

Watching the evolution of Anneli Maley's perimeter game has been great to watch. She's no longer just a scrappy undersized 4 and now looks like a legitimate wing. Hoping she takes it to the WNBA again next year.

Adelaide was poor down the stretch and a lot of it was Borlase trying to force plays. However, it's good to see Hurst trusts her enough to try to make plays down the stretch and she'll learn from it.

Not sure whether anybody has the personnel to stop Maley *and* Griffin. Maybe if Southside could clone Thornton.

Reply #906244 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:50 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754