Luuuc
Last year

WNBL Round 9

Wed 5:30pm - Melbourne vs Southside (ESPN)

Thu 7:30pm - Adelaide vs Townsville (9Now)

Fri 6:30pm - Southside vs Bendigo (9Now)

Sat 5:30pm - Canberra vs Townsville (9Now)
Sat 6:30pm - Perth vs Sydney (9Now)

Sun 2:00pm - Bendigo vs Melbourne (9Now)

All times are local.

Topic #50747 | Report this topic

Turnover  
Last year

Why are ticket prices to Melbourne v Southside so much? $39 for general admin and $45 for reserved seat, and at a stadium that's hard to get to.

its cheaper to get a ticket for the AFL

Reply #908136 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Yeah prices seem high but they seem to be going well selling the tickets.

Difficult to get to depends entirely on where you're starting.

Reply #908164 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Blicavs had an outstanding first half with 21pts but why is it so hard to barrack/cheer for Blicavs...

Reply #908174 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Last year

Some quality players oout there. Enjoyed it. Blicavs forty.

Reply #908196 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Southside's shooting numbers were horrible outside of Blicavs, but they found her in the right spots at the right time. Melbourne could have defended her a bit better but Blicavs hitting all her threes and most of her midrange jumpers is a black swan event lol. Sometimes, one player is just too good in a single game.

Kristy Wallace's fouls and turnovers can rival Shaneice Swain's in terms of headdeskiness. TBF Tiffany Mitchell and Olivia Nelson-Ododa weren't that great in this department either tonight. Melbourne can be a bit wild at times.

Reply #908205 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Southsides numbers weren't that dissimilar to Boomers if you take Blicavs out, both in the 30’s percentage wise.

What a standout performance from Blicavs, she’s really building into a special season

Reply #908261 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Now, After half of the wnbl season is complete...

Based on form and familiarity, Early prediction Asia cup?
Reid-Rocci
Nicholson-Madgen-Melbourne
Blicavs-Maley
Smith-Griffin-Garbin
Tolo-George

Madgen, last years opals el capatano probably the highest probability of dropping out atm.
Young Borlase or Swain for exp maybe.

Other possibilities
Heal-Mangakahia-Amoore-Lavey
Garrick-Borlase-Swain-Shelley
Kunek-Atwell-Puoch-Murray
Froling-Bibby-Sharp-Horvat
Scherf-Bunton-Jackson-Bishop

wnba n/a
Whitcomb
Wallace
Talbot
Allen
Magbegor

Reply #908264 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

She just scored 41 - which was brilliant no doubt - but that saw her leapfrog 8 players on the league scoring list up into ... 14th place.
So if we're being honest her season has been pretty unremarkable until yesterday.

Reply #908265 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

She had a very ordinary start to the season, but the last 4 games or so has been up there with the best in the league, hence the word 'building'

Reply #908268 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Chelsea Brook for Adelaide Lightning must dramatically improve her physical conditioning if she wants to have greater impact on both ends of the court.

Reply #908299 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Ugly for Townsville after quarter time.
They are really sliding. Opening the door for Adelaide or Perth to claim that 4th spot.

Nice to see Aokuso back in action again.

Reply #908309 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Fejo very underrated Imo, should be getting 5-8 minutes behind Borlase.

Mansfield-Cubillo
Borlase-Fejo-Basham
Talbot-Whittle*-Simons
Brook or Whittle*
Monroe-Batish

*backup 3/4

Aren't using at all
Brazel
Hines
Coleman

Lightning need much better and more frontcourt options for next season.

Reply #908312 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

To be fair, this doesn't become a development season’ for Adelaide until they’re out of contention for playoffs. Hurst focus would be on getting a few more wins & rightly so. Isn’t Brazel injured?

Agree with Samcro on Brook, very talented player, would be great for Lightening if she was in better shape.

Also, can Talbot please take more shots?!

Reply #908313 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

23/24?

Mangakahia-Cubillo
Borlase-Fejo-Brazel
Talbot-Whittle
Import-Horvat
Import-?

Senior SA players worth a shot
Sawyer
Brett
Gordon
Hank
Rees

Could be on chopping block from 22' side
Basham, Hines, Simons, Coleman, Batish

Reply #908314 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

FL, I think Fejo could contribute now. She's been a dp for sometime, been contracted before and then pregnant and now back. She’s lightning quick, w3 should be seeing more of her now and if she was willing to move from sa would get more minutes elsewhere.

Reply #908315 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Her nbl1 highlights.
Avg 19-5-5, 84% ft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql1m00t4F8M

If they don't play her, she’ll be lost to aflw guaranteed.

Reply #908317 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Adelaide have a pretty favourable schedule in the run home. Let's see if they can string together some wins. The game up in Townsville in 2 weeks will be important because it will determine the season series and could have finals implications.

The plus minus stat was interesting for Townsville today - Samuelson was +4 but got into foul trouble then was injured. Townsville went down the toilet with Woods replacing Samuelson and Woods had a shocker going 0/9 from the field. Probably the best Adelaide defensive effort we have seen all season, especially on Townsville's perimeter players.

Reply #908318 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

"Also, can Talbot please take more shots?!"

She was 1/8 from the field and everybody else was shooting well so she set them up instead. I thought the shot distribution was great and they won by 25.

Reply #908320 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Yeah you're right, she passes up good looks though & is a good shooter, 8 shots isn’t enough for someone of her calibre.

Appreciate the background on Fejo Weedy

Reply #908323 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

It wasn't happening for Talbot tonight (some credit for that must go to the Fire's D - they didn't make it easy for her), and others were hitting their shots. I thought she played it perfectly in deferring to the hotter options. Double digit boards & assists in a 25 point win. I'd happily live with that.

Reply #908328 | Report this post

Bigboy  
Last year

I wouldn't be surprised if Whittle leaves Adelaide and joins Maley at Spirit next season, seems to be on less minutes now?

Reply #908339 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Don't think spirit wanted her.

Reply #908340 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

The refereeing was a bit ordinary and spoiled the Southside v Bendigo game. Wouldn't have changed the outcome, but some consistency in calls would be nice.

Reply #908357 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Last year

Bendigo playing like bums spoiled the game. Flyers went 66% from 3 LOL. Bendigo's perimeter D was non-existent.

Reply #908361 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Bendigo must be wondering how Southside manages two absurdly good three point shooting games against them. When Puoch and Conti go off from three like that, it really isn't your night. I found the Maley vs Puoch matchup fun to watch - two athletic wings and likely future Opals teammates going at it. I'd happily give Kayla Thornton defensive player of the year. She's defended well on the perimeter and the interior all season and her effort against Kelsey Griffin today was impressive. Sara Blicavs following up a 41 point game with a zero pointer was also impressive but it was a good night to have an off scoring game.

Reply #908363 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Looking like the 2 clubs with the biggest budget will be making the final again.
Not good in an 8 team league, the salary cap is only 430,000.

Reply #908367 | Report this post

Tired Weevil  
Last year

lol at Thornton wanting to belt Froling at 3/4 time because Froling ran into her and walked off. Like Thornton didn't do the exact same thing to Froling in the first quarter.

Reply #908398 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Thornton's behaviour was embarrassing & typical of someone who craves the attention & spotlight! Bendigo’s defensive effort was absolutely non existent & the way they defended the 3 point line was disgraceful & without effort. They’ll need to regroup quickly or another shellacking will be served up by the Boomers on Sunday arvo.

Reply #908425 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

I was at the game, total cheap shot by Froling, clearly embarrassed that she was stripped at halfcourt the play prior. Nothing embarrassing about Thornton's behaviour, she controlled herself, even after McKay got involved as well. Crowd gave her a massive cheer when she came back. She plays with joy & is clearly a fan favourite

Reply #908434 | Report this post

Tired Weevil  
Last year

Thornton's a great player, no doubt about it. Definitely a favourite and definitely likes the spotlight.

Not defending Froling at all, can't stand either of them.

Reply #908440 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Froling was careless. Thornton reacted. I wouldn't read anything more than that into the incident.

Reply #908442 | Report this post

Turnover  
Last year

Agree with Footloose... nothing in Thornton's behaviour. Our society just continues to knock down people that show confidence etc. We want emotion and passion, as soon as players show it, they get shot down.. I for 1 like it when players show that they care for the fans.

I was at the game so haven't seen the replay of 'the bump' from Froling. But I'm not a fan of bumping/clipping someone from behind (thats what it looked like at the game). Will hold further judgement until I see a replay.

As per SamCro... Bendigo just don't defend. Not sure if they know what they are doing to defend on-balls, continually got exposed.

I think their lack of depth, well maybe not depth, but the confidence of their thousand coaches to play the bench will hurt them the longer the season goes. Only play 7 players, you only need 1 or 2 in foul trouble or having an off day and you get results like last night.

I felt at time the inconsistent calling of the game had an impact. Ref, Battye at times looked out of his depth.

It is concerning for the sport of basketball that a game between a top couple of teams can't get a few female ref's good enough. Even some female ref's on the NBL roster, they are on the NBA roster. Where are they in Australia?

Reply #908443 | Report this post

LHY  
Last year

I think a lot of people's problems with Thorton are about her theatrics rather than her passion. She was rolling around on the floor numerous times in the Boomers game claiming to have been hit in the eye. The first one I didn't see so can't comment on but the second one with Wallace didnt appear to make any contact and the third one definitely had no contact with Thorton falling to the floor to cover up turning the ball over (1 hour 12 in on Kayo if you want the replay). This would be bearable if she quickly got up and moved on, but instead she stayed on the ground for the whole of the boomers possession before she subbing herself off to double down on her flopping. That, to me, is not just attention-seeking but also selfish and is exactly why I think people comment on her behavior. You truly have to watch it back to understand, like when you see certain soccer players flail about like a tuna fish.

No doubt a great baller but, like Lebron, a little hard to watch.

Reply #908451 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Townsville look closer to a mid-table team than a championship contender atm. Besides a good first half from Reid and a good third quarter from Nicholson, pretty average performance from them. I think Melbourne won the matchup against Reid in the second half easily.

I think Canberra could play a competitive full 40 minutes if they didn't have to play their bench. Massive dropoff from the starters and even Brittany Smart, who you think would be a decent bench guard, is having a bad season. Townsville went on their third quarter run when Pizzey was on for Munger but there's no other bench posts Canberra can play atm. Yes, they are screwed.

Reply #908454 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

27 & 8 for Scherf tonight. It's half time.

Reply #908509 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Sydney might want to stop helping off her, just a suggestion. Good to see Scherf this aggressive though

Reply #908514 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Yeah, part credit for Scherf's dominance needs to go to coach Heal for doing nothing to slow her down.
Someone needs to phone him with some ideas.

Reply #908516 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Lol

Reply #908518 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

What's with heal just having 1 assistant, thought it was min of 2.

Reply #908519 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Why would there be a min?

Reply #908521 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

It was a rule a few years ago but maybe it has changed.

Reply #908523 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Granger got suspended for making contact with Ref a month before U16 nationals as he was one of the NSW coaches. 12 month suspension.

Reply #908524 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Maybe they have more at home but only travel with 1? Boomers only have Harrower, so there mustn't be a minimum

Reply #908525 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

I heard something about that Pinch. Is it true that he's allowed to sit behind the bench but not on it?

Reply #908527 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Boomers have 2, every club has 2 or more bar Sydney.

Reply #908528 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Who's Boomers other AC, have only seen Harrower

Reply #908529 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Anderson

Reply #908530 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

As in Larissa? Are you sure? She's hard to miss

Reply #908531 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Shyla Heal's shot selection tonight has been hilarious. How many dribble jumpers has she missed? I especially liked it when she passed up an open three for another missed two point dribble jumper (clearly not a fan of analytics). It's really Shane's fault though - this rubbish Shyla-centric offence clearly doesn't work. I think she needs more catch and shoot opportunities and other players playing more on ball.

Nice to see Scherf clean up inside. Sydney did adjust to defend her better in the second half, but too late.

Reply #908533 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Bendigo bounced back well to make a good contest of this

Reply #908614 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Great 2 way game from Wallace. She has really blossomed since her (surprise?) WNBA debut. A couple of silly turnovers but the rest of her game was impeccable. Wilson was the clear weak link for Bendigo - couldn't hit the decent looks from three Melbourne were giving her and couldn't really guard anybody (too small!)

They were discussing MVP in the commentary and I agree there will be an interesting race for it. My top two candidates are Cayla George and Steph Reid but the top four teams all have a couple of prospects at least.

Reply #908676 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

This season vs last

Aussie Stock

Up
Reid
Rocci
Whitcomb
Wallace
Nicholson
Froling
Griffin
George
Bunton
Scherf

Down
Heal
Melbourne
Cole
Maley
Sharp

Reply #908702 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Looks to me like you put Sharp in the wrong list

Reply #908710 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Yep, my bad.

Reply #908711 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

I always think Sharp should play more. Exciting young talent

Reply #908715 | Report this post

loungefly  
Last year

Scherf will get a load of credit for turning the game for the Lynx on Saturday and rightly so but Sharp on the defensive end deserves a lot of credit, getting a couple blocks in the second and she always seems to get those defensive rebounds she has no business getting.

Also surprising the D.P. #7 Kelly gets minutes over #10 Edwards with Bibby out...

having front row seats to Shanes hissy fits was the highlight of the night tho

Reply #908720 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

Agree re Sharp, I was so disappointed to see her hard sparingly off the bench earlier in the season. Same with Clarke at Sydney.

I think for Melbourne you need to consider she is playing a very different role and position for the caps this season when considering her stock. Surely Swain is on the up list too...

Reply #908725 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Didn't add swain as she hardly played last year.

Melbourne playing the pg role is not working atm Imo, she’s playing significantly more minutes which has slowed her down and every time she receives the ball, she stops, dribbles on the spot for 5 or so secs then try’s to run a play. She should be taking people off the dribble alot more as soon as she receives the ball or atleast dribbling around the perimeter forcing players to cut or move.

Reply #908728 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Also surprising the D.P. #7 Kelly gets minutes over #10 Edwards with Bibby out...

Yes, interesting call to play Kelly in that game. That showed some real faith. I liked it.

We're a small side at the best of times, so being even smaller than usual with Bibby out made it an especially interesting move to double down on small ball by not playing Edwards at all.

Sharp always plays above her height when it comes to rebounding. Glad to see her getting some love here. She's one whose impact is often understated by the boxscore. Versatile defender too.

having front row seats to Shanes hissy fits was the highlight of the night tho

I think Scherf's 2nd quarter still takes the cake, but yeah Shane losing is always A-grade schadenfreude for me too.

Reply #908729 | Report this post

loungefly  
Last year

yeah looks like Edwards is not showing up in training to earn any minutes

Sharp is my Daughters fav player, she just has a knack for getting rebounds.

Reply #908737 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Perth 23/24?

Whitcomb-Burrows
Import-Deegan
Sharp-Atwell
Garbin-Bibby
Scherf-Mckay

Reply #908770 | Report this post

Camel 90  
Last year

Burrows not close to WNBL standard.

Move Sammy to the 2 and get a class PG import.

Sharp shooting better this year. Hope she keeps it up.

Reply #908778 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Who would be the backup pg, Gandini?

Reply #908783 | Report this post

Camel 90  
Last year

Stagger it with Sammy. Forster as the 3rd PG.

Reply #908937 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Would be hard to stagger an import pg and Whitcomb, need another option.
Foster is nowhere near ready. Someone who is a senior now in college perhaps, Eliis would be a good fit.

Reply #908938 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Forster'

Reply #908941 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

That's a good 1st win by Canberra. Melbourne, Swain, Burrell very good. Pizzeys best game by far. Maley excellent for the spirit.

Spirit lineup needs Lavey back and Wehrung starting.

Reply #908946 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:18 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754