Leemac1979
Last year

36ers v breakers

If the 36ers beat breakers today does anyone give them a chance to win the championship or is everyone still going to look to find things to say they can't?

Topic #50760 | Report this topic

Ski 61  
Last year

Well they would need to win first. They've had a good month since signing Clark. They appear to play at the level of their opponent most games, but this will be a big and interesting test. Sunday arvo with 10k in the house is pretty cool though when last year there was 5k on a good day.

Reply #908560 | Report this post

Leemac1979  
Last year

Ski61 yeah that's why I said if they win today.
Just seems 6ers attract alot of hate because they had a team that beat phoenix sun's so everyone expects them to come out and win every game by 20.
Everyone likes to point out there defence but not Sydney's. Sydney concedes just over 86 points a game compared to 6ers 89. Let's be honest that's only 1 3 pointer a game. I just think the 6ers are held to high expectations because of the sun's game.

Reply #908561 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Unlikely to hit 10k with a sell out as some with tix (particularly members) don't go.

Maybe 9.1-9.4k

Reply #908562 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Sixers win this - will put pressure on Perth/Tasmania/South East Melbourne

Reply #908565 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

We almost beat them last time in NZ without Clark obviously and have won 5 of our last 6 games albeit still playing poorly.

The reality for us if we drop this game today our hopes of gaining enough momentum to possibly be a title contender will likely be over. I can't see this group turning it on from 11-10 over the last 7 games of the season especially with the schedule we have.

Reply #908566 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

WMW plays breakers should win this. If he's out it could be closer. Breakers 4-5 men work their buts off, can Sixers 4-5 compete there. If so should be a good contest.

Breakers by two.

Reply #908568 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Because of percentage, realistically needs to only drop 1 game for the rest of the season, and they can only drop it against Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney, NZ if they want to finish 4th.

18-10 would make 4th IMO. 17-11, requires the other teams to be 16-12.

16-12 would mean SEM go 4-2 last 6, Tassie 5-2 last 7, Perth 6-2 last 8 at best. If any of those three sides do better, that makes it fairly impossible for 36ers to make 4th.

Adelaide will want to beat Tassie, Perth and Melbourne away to 100% put those teams to the sword. Lose any of those, and Adelaide are put to the sword.

Beat NZ today, and it gives a little breathing room to lose to Sydney later.

Reply #908569 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Head to Head before percentage

Reply #908571 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Percentage,

Reply #908572 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I thought it changed to percentage?

Reply #908573 | Report this post

Leemac1979  
Last year

All teams in the 3 to 7 spot have tough tuns home against each other. 6ers have every chance of making it. But today is must win. We'll see the real 6ers today I reckon.

Reply #908575 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

WMW cleared to play. Crunch time for 6s. If the combo that ended last game play big minutes in with a chance. If Sotto starts again, Pardon going to have a huge game.

Reply #908576 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

The question isn't about the Sixers making the Top 6 they probably will but we're not going to be a serious contender if we finish 5th or 6th on the ladder. Got to win two play-in games possibly on the road then beat a Syd or NZ in the SF series on their own court to get into the GF.

Reply #908578 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Last year

You're dying for someone to argue with about how great the 36ers are... they’re middle of the pack. It’s sport, so yes anything can happen, but regardless, they aren’t beating a Sydney in a 5 game series.

Reply #908581 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

No one is beating Sydney in a five game series.

Reply #908584 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I think NZ could.

But agreed, it's Sydney and NZ then daylight

Reply #908586 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Obvious tactic by 36ers - if NZ press with defence, 36ers want to break through it but with that they turn the ball over.

If they want to beat NZ, they need to lockdown defensively, get the rebound and run before NZ can set in D

Reply #908587 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Take Franks off plz

Reply #908588 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

A little home cooking happening. No foul by Loe, no way that was charge on Brown.

Reply #908589 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

Yeah that "charge" on Brown was very soft. But the 36ers offence is the real problem. 1-2 pass and iso. Way too easy for NZ to defend. 36ers lucky the Breakers haven't shot well from 3pt (yet).

Reply #908591 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

What were u doing Cleveland?!

Reply #908593 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

More than a little home cooking imho. Some 'curious' calls to date

Reply #908594 | Report this post

Fox57  
Last year

Daniel Johnson will be useless in this game. No point putting him on the court. They are too physical on defence and he is a passenger on our defensive end.

Reply #908595 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Agreed, he can't handle the physicality.

Cleveland absolutely stuffed up with his third foul and switched momentum.

Adelaide aren’t in a position to recover IMO.

Reply #908596 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I coach my kids to aim to force 10 passes from the opposition before they can put a shot up. I don't think I’ve ever seen Sixers come close to forcing that many - there just isn’t the hunger to do it consistently.

Their defence is static, and their help defence seems to be set up to allow the 2 but stop the 3. WTF?!

Reply #908597 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Sixers should have pulled out the "DJ has gastro" excuse again for this game.

Reply #908598 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

I'd like to see Adelaide play with this line-up:

Clark, point guard
McCarron
Drmic
Cleveland
Frank's

McCarron or Cleveland having a go at guarding the opposing 4.

Reply #908599 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Andddd that's his fourth.

Fek.

Reply #908600 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

9,368 crowd

Reply #908602 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Oh geez umpires, having another horrible game

Reply #908603 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Do the refs always got be centre of attention. Let them play.

Reply #908604 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Play Deng Acouth over DJ he's absolutely horrible

Reply #908605 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

CJ needs to rip out some swear words here whilst he has an opportunity to be on live tv

Reply #908606 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

DJ is virtually unplayable now. No surprise the Breakers blew out the score more when he was on and that we've now pegged it back a bit since he went off. If we bring DJ back again next season I might give up on the Sixers once and for all.

Reply #908607 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Tommy V, Luxembourg's finest getting right inside the head of Franks.

Reply #908608 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

Sunday Dech has been extremely disappointing btw. His career should have taken another couple of steps by now, but he's stuck on the end of the bench with I reckon a decent salary

Reply #908609 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

That "foul" on V instead of Loe, if challenged would have resulted in no foul at all despite the big foul by Loe at the same time.

Surely the NBL needs to change the coaches challenge before the obvious absurdity happens?

Reply #908610 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Sotto having his best outing this year.

Reply #908611 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Dech is one of the best defenders out there, he always guards the opposition's best wing which is why he's never got much left in the tank offensively. We gave a long-term deal in the offseason, 3 years which no doubt would've been for taking a bit of a pay cut.

Reply #908612 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Love the Gaze commentary, I'm with him, I’m backing Pardon.

Good game this. WMW, now that’s a point guard. Sixer keep hanging in, probably tough to win from here but not impossible. Sotto and Franks through the five spot, no Johnson.

Reply #908613 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Adelaide are still the worst team in the comp defensively and only look good when the opposition miss wide-open threes.

Also, use Sotto more offensively.

Reply #908615 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

The Kai Sotto Show

Reply #908616 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Damn I get sick of the big 3's the NZB guys make, same thing in NZ last game too.

Reply #908617 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Put the ball in Clarke hands, keep it out Mccaron.

Reply #908618 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

McCarron's got to come off the bench next season he's a shit PG.

Reply #908619 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Pardon would be almost the perfect fit for the Sixers no wonder NZB signed him up so early.

Reply #908620 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

Yeah he's good defensively but honestly he's had a disappointing career for mine, Dech.

I keep trying to tell people that McCarron isn't a point guard's asshole. He is what the Taipans played him as - active all-round wing player who crashes the glass.

Reply #908621 | Report this post

Rod  
Last year

What is Anthony Drmic's best skill on the floor?

Reply #908622 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I don't know why there’s such a strong focus on PG given it’s easy to make a PG look bad when you’re scoring wide-open points at will then set yourself up and apply whatever pressure you feel like.

It’s not like Clark has been absent of turnovers or been a magic maker. Adelaide’s defence is critically bad for most of the game in every game.

Reply #908623 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I disagree on Dech, Manu I think he's had a better career than what might've been expected.

On McCarron totally agree, United could get away with starting him at the point because their team was so loaded and then idiot JVG outbids the Kings by throwing a blank cheque at him for his services and we're still paying the price.

Reply #908624 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Drmic's been one of our better players this season. I remember someone on here said when we signed him again that Gliddon's a better player than him lol

Reply #908625 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

These umpires need a review on every call at this rate

Reply #908626 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Well done CJ, Mccaron to bench. No Johnson. Very good five on

Reply #908628 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

This is why Cleveland's early foul was just so costly

Reply #908629 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Jeez... had their chances at the end

Enjoyed that one.

Reply #908630 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Baibai top 4

Reply #908631 | Report this post

Rod  
Last year

If Drmic is one of your best players, youre in trouble!

Reply #908632 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Cracking game, pity the refs development hasn't kept up with the improved standard of the players.

Reply #908634 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Cleveland is if not for silly fouls benching him for most of the game.

36ers are going to deliver me to an early grace - brb getting heart medication

Reply #908635 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Early grave**

Reply #908636 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Great game, it's tough being a coach, today CJ was so close. Clarke got start at point, Galloway got play ahead of Johnson and behind Sotto. Sixers good enough to play finals.

Maor more experienced than CJ at coaching gigs, probably got them over the line. WMW is such a talented point guard for the fiba style game. Pardon and Brantley so good, never rushed, play smart.

Both sides got talent, both athletic, breakers just smarter at present, Sixers aren’t far off though.

Reply #908638 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Last year

Championship or bust

Reply #908639 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Didn't cost the game, turnovers, questionable offence and Cleveland's foul trouble were main culprits there. But I would really like to know the thinking of putting Galloway on for last few minutes. As in during the press conference asking CJ that question and then following up with why didn't he play earlier. Only thing I can think of is that there were no other options defensively. Sotto looked gassed, but had one of his best games. Finally DJ is where he should be. But tough to put an inexperienced player on in crunch time when hes been sitting the whole game.

Reply #908645 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Galloway was likely put on late for his 3pt shooting to try and get us back in it. There was one game earlier in the season he hit 4 or 5 3pts in a game so I can understand the thinking as crap is Galloway is. The damage had been done earlier with Cleveland's foul trouble in the first half, Franks spudding it up and DJ being given court time.

Reply #908647 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

Sotto has potential, but his strength and conditioning is below par. I think it's one of the main reasons he struggles defensively.

Reply #908648 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

There's a lot to like about Sotto's potential though. What is he 19? Big guys take longer to develop, hopefully he spends more time here during the off-season and we bulk him up a bit not just strength wise but to help his confidence.

Reply #908649 | Report this post

Penn Alcolon E  
Last year

Franks put on the effort today. Sotto had another efficient game but he should've held his excitement with that open 3 and not rushed it. He'll get better with it with more experience. But the doomsday prophesy of Pardon having a field day with sotto starting? The exact opposite. Cleveland, Adelaide's most important player having foul trouble and the shots not falling including that Dech wide open 3 that rimmed out were the biggest factors for the loss but I think Galloway should've been in the game a little earlier. He was too cold off the bench, those shots are usually gimmes for him

Reply #908651 | Report this post

Penn Alcolon E  
Last year

This L tho is more impressive than that W against the shorthanded Hawks. Cleveland in early foul trouble and the shots not falling. Basically breaks of the game

Reply #908653 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Sotto should get in gym, strengthen his core. Also get down to the beach in the soft sand and run 30 meters sprints till he is knackered. Old fashioned speed training.

Reply #908654 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

McCarron didn't make a shot in almost 31 minutes.

Between McCarron and Drmic ( 5 turnovers) the 36ers decision making is shot.

Clark must start now in lieu of one of them.

Reply #908656 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Last year

Call me crazy but i use our last timeout with 15sec left. I know you might catch them on the hop and the shot was half decent, but i would rather get a play or even just isolate Cleveland at the top and have the other flat out. Still after a ugly first half the game was overall good.

Reply #908657 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

There were bad signs all over the Hawks game. The only reason they won that was because the hawks lost it. Any other team would've won that. Today just showed Adelaide where they still lack discipline in games.

The talent is there it’s just these patches of bad defensive schemes and effort that kills them.

Reply #908661 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

9,368 crowd

New record for Adelaide.

Reply #908667 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

I agree Adelaide has talent. But the front court is soft. CJ is softer. And their PG isn't elite. Unlikely to make the playoffs, but AC might get them there. Franks needs to stop flexing. Clark needs more minutes. CJ needs to watch JJs tape, copy their sets and tell Adelaide to move the ball and be patient until a defensive breakdown provides a favourable matchup to iso rather than isolating from the get go.

Reply #908673 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

When Sotto went out and Galloway came in with 3 and a half minutes to go, Adelaide were down 8 with foul shots to come. Hardly panic stations that 3s were needed, couple of stops and it's a one possession game with 2 minutes to go. So it's just brain numbing that CJ subs in someone that hasn't played a second, might as well put Fiston on. Was it discussed with the assistants? If they agreed or even suggested it in first place they're an embarrassment.
As for Sotto getting tired, he just isn't used to playing big minutes. Would like to see a breakdown of how many consecutive minutes he's played in every game. It would probably be up there today and also having to contend with a physical Breakers team. Can run as much as you want off the court and in preseason, but it's nothing compared to game. And he would be putting in plenty of time in the gym. He's still to physically mature, he still has bum fluff on his face. Just look at before and after pics of Embiid and Gianni's. Give him a couple more years and he should put on 20 kg of muscle. I think it's time it's recognised he's going to be a true centre, not another unicorn that needs to be light and agile. Showed good touch today inside, especially with his right hand.
And I'm going to be the president of the fire CJ club. It's only due to talent that the Sixers should be in playoffs. He just isn't up to being a head coach, its Jamie Petty like in the way he bumbles around like Mr Bean. The offence is just under 12 like, getting your best player to go 1 on 1 a lot. Players clearly don't respect him and there's no sense of any semblance of playing and having each other's backs. Commentary today pointed out how New Zealand were close-knit, Adelaide resembles an episode of last chance U. We've got a point guard that only real positive is his rebounding, a veteran big man that is now a total liability, an import that never met a shot he didn't like and attitude is only slightly better than aforementioned veteran. Their best player doesn't realise he is the best player and neither does the coach. Drmic is just a poor man's McVeigh now. Dech who could be 6th man of the year but has no real role due to starting pg and now a new import as well. Then a talented young big who doesn't know if he's getting dragged at any minute and not see the court again.
The funny thing though is, if Adelaide's talent clicks, they still have a chance of winning it all. They were somehow an open jump shot from winning today, and I think NZ have a great chance of beating Sydney in a grand final series.

Reply #908679 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

The sub for Sotto didn't negatively impact, Adelaide charged home and got two good looks to go ahead.

Adelaide's issues tonight were turnovers and three-point shooting, they more than matched NZ in the other areas of the game. They looked like a playoff team tonight except for sloppy turnovers.

Reply #908682 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

Galloway would've been put in so the Sixers could press full court and then switch everything on D, which they wouldn't have been able to do with Sotto or DJ.

Not a particularly difficult concept to grasp...

Reply #908687 | Report this post

Sarge  
Last year

Galloway I think should sub for Sotto and DJ for Franks. Clark as point guard with MM.

Reply #908690 | Report this post

Leemac1979  
Last year

As mightymouse said. 18% 3 point shooting and 23 turnovers. To be one shot from a win is impressive. Come finals time it's anyone's to win if they make the 6.

Reply #908693 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

I must have missed when they trapped full court with 3 1/2 minutes to go. Maybe yes on the switching, but why wait till then to bring on a cold player.
But it must be too difficult a concept to grasp.

Reply #908695 | Report this post

Penn Alcolon E  
Last year

Playing Sotto and Galloway together should've been something they’ve tried long ago. The former can create his own shots from both high and low post while Galloway is great at finding spots where he’s open for the 3. Sotto has good court vision and would find him when he’s open. The switcheability is also there as both are pretty quick footed and has the length. However, playing Franks and DJ together isn’t really ideal. Both are looking for shots and hardly protect the rim (if at all, specially DJ). Having said that, I’d say pair Sotto and franks, DJ and Galloway and then some Sotto-Galloway and franks at 5 occasionally (ideally against 5s who aren’t heavy scorers)

Reply #908697 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

There's a difference between a trap and a press, which is what they ran for the final 2 minutes.

So apparently it is too difficult a concept for you to grasp.

Reply #908698 | Report this post

Leemac1979  
Last year

Joelmvp not looking for a dumbass comment from a dumbass. That's for sure. Just give your opinion and don't act like a tool.

Reply #908714 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Sorry Cal Senior.

Reply #908717 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

Poor 3pt shooting and turnovers cost Sixers. 4-22 from 3pt isn't going to win you many games. The other factor is McCarron playing 30mins without a field goal, not enough assists, basically just dribbling ball up court. McDowell-White plays 20min for 7 assists plus scoring, showed how PG should control the ball, bluffing defenders who don't know if going to pass or score himself. Add in Dech offering no offensive threat aswell and the Breakers could put all their attention on holding Clark, with Cleveland in foul trouble, they gave him no space to get open 3's. I though Dech was caught out in defence, was a step behind and just chasing jerseys, going under screens. Drmic, McCarron, DJ and Dech going for a combined 2-15, absolutely horrible costing Sixers big time. The imports and Sotto were very efficient offensively.

Reply #908724 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last year

Yeah I thought Dench did get caught out often but the Breakers do space well. They have that French assistant coach who is pretty good with the Xs and 0s.
Sotto was efficient in the paint but poor from the 3 point line. His three point shot is a flat knuckle ball but his post moves are excellent.
The other damming stat, only three 36ers recorded an assist. And a lot of MMs assists are forced no looks as well. We just cannot pass well. In street ball vernacular too many crocodiles.
The winning mismatch for us was Sotto v a too short Pardon and only Clark was skilled enough to feed that Avenue.

Reply #908726 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Last year

Meowwww

Adelaide are middle of the pack. Making the 6, won't mean they will magically turn it on imo.

Bulldogs in the AFL had a miracle 4 week finals campaign, but it’s very rare.

Reply #908734 | Report this post

Leemac1979  
Last year

Joelmvp. Yeah you're clearly a dropkick.
Yeah well what about last years finalists in the nbl. 3rd and 4th.
And yes that's your opinion. That's about it. Are you a Perth or United supporter?

Reply #908736 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Bull dogs got lot help from the umpires that season.

Reply #908738 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Last year

Depressed 36er supporter. I'm not sure how I can recover from being called a drop kick, so I leave it.

Reply #908743 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

" Adelaide are middle of the pack. Making the 6, won't mean they will magically turn it on imo."

I don't see what’s incorrect about this statement?

“ 18% 3 point shooting and 23 turnovers. To be one shot from a win is impressive.”

Is that shooting and that number of turnovers impressive though? Playing at home they shouldn’t have been that bad to begin with, it’s really not a silver-lining is it.

It’s not even really an abnormal for the 36ers either, they’re bad with turnovers and bad at shooting from the arc, so it’s not something that we can expect will magically improve because we haven’t really seen it improve in 20 games.

Reply #908747 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Last year

The initial poster on this thread, has real issues with any negativity towards the 36ers. On here and on Twitter. I've never seen someone defend poor performances and attack people who aren’t happy about the performances as the creator of this thread.

Personal attacks on players etc is never ok as they are human. But fans are absolutely allowed to blow up on social media accounts etc at insipid efforts, coaching mistakes, blown big leads etc etc

Adelaide are not very good. They’re inconsistent and no team fears us. Was big issues when we got blown out at home by Tassie in one of the first games imo I think quite frankly, many have got used to a losing culture now. But I won’t cop any shit from some over the top positivity preacher when I do get annoyed at losses. The powerhouse was a fortress, and fans never accepted a bad performance.

Reply #908752 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

But I won't cop any shit from some over the top positivity preacher when I do get annoyed at losses. The powerhouse was a fortress, and fans never accepted a bad performance.

I love this.

The Wildcats are now being mismanaged like the Sixers are and I've noticed negative feedback or excuses from some corners when honest assessments are being made.

F*ck that, we've got standards and they won't change.

Reply #908757 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Adelaide are obviously playing good basketball, taking two very good teams within a basket, in Cairns and NZ, and winning their five games around that. But the little things they get wrong at times throughout the game is frustrating, because it's stopping them from being the side they can be.

Still, I think finishing 4-6 is about right for this team given their lack of depth of defensive talent, and they're a good chance to finish in that mark. For passionate Adelaide fans this will be seen as a disappointment though I suspect.

Reply #908758 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

Last couple games against Bullets, Hawks and injury riddled Phoenix the Sixers have cruised playing defence for 3 qtrs. Then in the 4th they will ramp up defence, close the gap, increase pressure, switch a lot more, etc. Got them out of jail against Hawks but against good teams very hard to overcome a deficit with couple mins to go. Until they can dictate terms and control the game Sixers will be run of the mill. Blueprint on Sixers is to play physical and run full court defence. Sixers need to start being aggressive on full court D and start trying to exploit it rather than just allowing teams to run it. Height of Sotto against Breakers was perfect opportunity, but Sixers just dribble the ball up slowly and then pass sideways with no emphasis on trying to beat it or get defence out of position. They just allow good defensive teams to get set.

Reply #908774 | Report this post

Leemac1979  
Last year

Where have I said anything to you Joel. I was saying what I think. And then you got on your high horse and yapped alot of crap at me. You're juat an angry ant I think.

Reply #908810 | Report this post

Penn Alcolon E  
Last year

LOL Why are some people taking offense of others opinions here? Chill out three's still another season

Reply #908890 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:26 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754