Luuuc
Last year

WNBL Round 11

Wed 5:30pm - Sydney vs Southside (ESPN)

Thu 7:00pm - Bendigo vs Canberra (9Now)

Fri 7:00pm - Townsville vs Adelaide (9Now)

Sat 5:30pm - Sydney vs Perth (9Now)
Sat 7:30pm - Canberra vs Southside (9Now)

Sun 3:00pm - Melbourne vs Bendigo (9Now)

All times are local.

Cayla George interview on the On Her Game podcast is a good listen if you have an hour to spare:
Link

Topic #50795 | Report this topic

Wnblfan  
Last year

Shyla and Shane Heal out of tonight's game v Southside

Reply #909484 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

^^ any idea as to why?

Reply #909486 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

Just Megan H stating that she'll have more during tonight’s broadcast

Reply #909489 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Interesting, thanks

Reply #909491 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Sydney Flames Twitter account says Shyla Heal is out due to "personal reasons". Maybe a family thing?

Reply #909493 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

And Megan didn't have more... There's a rumour on Twitter than Shane was fired, however unsure why the Flames would not just announce that if true.

Reply #909502 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Flames looking far better without the Heal's tonight! Ball movement looks far better & more Flames players making a collective contribution.

Reply #909505 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

I think that was a game that got away from the Flames - some silly fouls and missed layups cost them. If Willoughby didn't foul out, there wouldn't have been so much pressure on Mangakahia to generate offence down the stretch and their late game play may have been better.

But yes, it's funny how much better the Flames looked without the Heals involved. You could even tell in their timeouts the vibe was a lot better. Yeah, Shane Heal needs to go as coach ASAP.

Reply #909513 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Mansfield last year and Mangakahia this year do better without heal on the floor.

Reply #909514 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

Very gutsy effort from the frames. Fantastic to see another legend of the league at the helm of a team.

Reply #909517 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Only just saw the score. Wow, great effort by the Flames to get that close.

Reply #909526 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Bye Shane.

Reply #909533 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Good riddance

Reply #909543 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

If No heals next year, got to start bringing in the nsw talent.

Mangakahia-Ellis-HendersonDP04(nsw)
Nicholson(nsw)-Gould?-BowyerDP03
Kunek?-Clarke-FoyDP04(nsw)
Froling-Horvat?-CrawshawDP04(nsw)
Import-Purcell-JuffermansDP05(nsw)

Reply #909544 | Report this post

If Shane was fired I'm sure the reason why will be interesting.

Reply #909545 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Shyla signed for 3 didn't she?

Reply #909554 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

Sydney Flames coach Shane Heal is facing a club investigation, explaining his sudden absence from the WNBL coaching ranks.

The Flames refused to comment on the nature of the probe involving the Australian basketball legend, but News Corp understands lawyers are involved and an independent firm has been engaged to conduct the investigation.

On Wednesday, the club issued a pair of tweets revealing Shane Heal and daughter Shyla Heal, the Flames' starting point guard, were late scratchings from the clash with Southside Flyers. The Flames also stated Opals great Shelley Gorman would take the reins as interim coach.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/womens-basketball/wnbl-news-shane-heal-and-shyla-heal-late-omissions-from-sydney-flames-clash-with-southside-flyers/news-story/d2c68d9b3fdefb2f2c9b594187fa432d?amp&nk=ca196b2b0b77e6669089c584570c68bb-1674119423

Reply #909591 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Did I really see the Bendigo bench celebrating Shaneice Swain missing two free throws? lol

Enjoyed Melbourne's point guard performance today but I think she needs more scoring opportunities. Or at least more pick and roll action on offense.

Reply #909608 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I think they were cheering for the Bendigo sub.

Reply #909613 | Report this post

Dog 55  
Last year

We (everyone in the building, including the bench) were cheering for the free cheeseburger from a Bendigo area Maccas. Same thing as the Hungry Jacks NBL promotion.

Reply #909647 | Report this post

Tired Weevil  
Last year

Yikes, Montesano AND Screen commentating the Townsville/Adelaide game on 9now. Mute mute mute.

Reply #909721 | Report this post

Mute

Reply #909732 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Mute.

Reply #909734 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

I'd prefer Screen over the prehistoric Chizik!

Reply #909735 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Calling Chizik prehistoric is a bit rough, she has good insight & is more low key which is easier to listen to imo

Reply #909740 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Surely you jest Footloose! Good insights SMFH...

Reply #909745 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Lol

Reply #909746 | Report this post

Tired Weevil  
Last year

Chizik isn't without her frustrating points too, but I'd still have her over either of the ones tonight.

Reply #909755 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Yeah, Chizik is better than Screen. Screen rambles a lot and is constantly making errors - repeatedly saying Borlase is 19 years old over multiple broadcasts (she's 18) and mistook Samuelson for Woods early in this broadcast for a few minutes.

Chelsea Brook is the Kiera Rowe of the Adelaide Lightning - why is she getting so many rotation minutes? Borlase and a healthy Marena Whittle should be getting 30 minutes per game with this current roster.

Reply #909762 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Chizik was surprised to learn during a game last year that players are ejected after two technical fouls. A conclusion she came to several minutes after the ejection, having previously been completely unable to figure it out.

Reply #909806 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

Number of in-season injuries seems much higher this season:
Reid, Talbot, Griffin, Bunton, Smart all missing games in the last two weeks.

Reply #909808 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Until Chelsea Brook makes a serious commitment to her physical conditioning I wouldn't play at all, I’m confused to why Whittle wouldn’t start & play more minutes than she does?

Reply #909811 | Report this post

LYNX99  
Last year

Whittle does not play Defence, she is how the team on the floor get caught out. She comes across as a shoot first team play last type. No matter how well or poorly she is shooting. she doesn't follow the structure/play & just takes it upon herself to try rescue the team with repeated poor shot selection. She is not a starter.
Bell didnt play Defence either, massive liability on the floor if her offence isnt going.

Adelaide before her departure were just missing that other true big as Monroe is no crash & bash down low big. They need to look for 2 solid bigs for next year

Reply #909875 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

I agree about Whittle. She has a lot of ability but the mental aspects of her game (decision-making, focus, discipline, etc) are a liability too often IMO.
I like her but she also makes me facepalm a lot.

Reply #909880 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

At least Whittle gives genuine effort & energy whilst she is in on the court, which I'm saying Brook does not, I can live with at times poor decision making as long as genuine effort & energy is given.

Reply #909883 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Fair enough. I haven't paid much attention to Brook, but effort is the minimum requirement.

Reply #909886 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Chizik commentating Spirit Vs Boomers Game! Mute Button Come At Me!

Reply #909898 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

How did the refs decide on a Spirit foul from that rebounding contest?! Ridiculous

Reply #909909 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

100% Footloose, definitely worth Kereama getting a technical for that ridiculous decision by the Umpires.

Reply #909910 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

For sure. How much better are Spirit with Lavey back?!

Reply #909911 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Okay Samcro, that comment from Chizik (about the USF) smh lol. Wallace for all her greatness, loses her mind at the most inopportune times

Reply #909912 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Massive win for Spirit!

Reply #909913 | Report this post

Dog 55  
Last year

Huge win by the girls, just need to take care of home court against Perth next Wednesday and then Townsville and that should see them into finals as they will have the split over both.

Reply #909914 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Bendigo had a couple of unexpected heroes to win that game against Melbourne for them - Kelly Wilson scored way above her season average and Alicia Froling scored all of her 9 points in the last 5:24 of the game. Froling too quick for Nelson-Ododa and George in the post. Melbourne has slow interior defence but their very capable offence can often hide this fact. Great game - hope to see more games like this between the top teams down the stretch.

Reply #909943 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:13 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754