Mystro
Last year

End of year awards predictions

With the end of year awards approaching who has who to win?

The nominees are:

MVP

Cooks
Cotton
Creek

MIP

Pinder
WMW
Macdonald

6th Man

Brown Jnr
Kelly
Johnson

DPOTY

Cleveland
Ili
Pardon

COTY

Buford
Forde
Maor

Next Gen

Froling
Travers
Waardenburg

My picks are:

MVP: Cooks
MIP: Pinder
6th: Brown Jnr
DPOTY: Pardon
COTY: Maor
Next Gen: Froling

WMW must be breathing down Pinders neck on the MIP award and likewise for Adam Forde with the COTY.
Don't mind who wins the Next Gen as they all look like deserving nominee's.

Topic #50853 | Report this topic

Daly  
Last year

Kai Sotto NBL MVP (fans).

Back 2 Back baby!

Reply #910679 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Absolutely pathetic that Kings are one of the best defensive teams in the league but neither Justin Simon or Cooks or nominees for DPOTY...

I've yet to read one logical reason why this is the case. Ili's a great defender no doubt but the mans played half a season.

Reply #910685 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Absolutely pathetic that Kings are one of the best defensive teams in the league but neither Justin Simon or Cooks or nominees for DPOTY...

I've yet to read one logical reason why this is the case. Ili's a great defender no doubt but the mans played half a season.

Reply #910686 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Coaches and captains decide who is nominated

Reply #910687 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Cotton, Pinder, Brown, Pardon, Forde, Froling.

Reply #910689 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Cotton, WMW, Brown, Illi, Buford, Travers.

Reply #910693 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Cooks
Pinder
Brown Jnr
Pardon
Maor
Froling

Reply #910706 | Report this post

orbit  
Last year

Cotton
McD White
Brown Jnr
Beg your pardon
Forde
Waardenberg

Reply #910729 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

The Next Gen can't not be Froling. He's a focal point of his team. 14pts, 8rebs @ 50%.

Waardenberg and Travers are both off the bench, and they aren't exactly starter-minute bench guys like Brown or Tyler Johnson.

MVP has to be Cooks as well, but it isn't as clear-cut as Froling.

Reply #910739 | Report this post

BigD  
Last year

Waardenburg and even Travers to an extent would be the focal point of the Hawks if they were on that roster.
So I don't think that’ll factor into it at all.

Reply #910740 | Report this post

Observer  
Last year

For me

Creek MVP

WMW MIP

Brown 6th man

Cleveland def player

Coach moar

Next gen waardeburg

Reply #910742 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

BigD, that's a 'what if' and can't be factored in to the decision making. It's what has actually happened, not what could happen

Reply #910748 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

For me, Cooks is the best player in the comp on the best team. Creek and Cotton aren't that far behind but their teams records hurt their chances imo.

If the Breakers finish 2cnd and Taipans finish 3rd Maor gets the COTY over Forde.

Barry Brown Jnr should already have his name on the 6th man trophy.

Cleveland's team will be lucky to make the play in tournament and Ili has barely played all season so Pardon gets the DPOTY imo.

MIP player could go to Pinder or WMW but with Pinder falling out of the MVP race I feel they will still want to reward him for an outstanding season.

Froling should get the next gen award over Travers & Waardenburg but its a weird category and I preferred ROTY.

Reply #910758 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Could someone please open this story. I got no idea how to open stories for free on your phone.

It's about the nbl salary cap and I believe it’s slowing down the Australian league to grow.

I know the London Lions in the BBL scrapped their salary cap so they could compete in the EuroCup. The NBL needs to do the same so we stop losing players for one season.

Link: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/the-logue-down-crosscourt-edition-latest-nbl-news-and-whispers-ahead-of-the-last-round-of-nbl23/news-story/548376f337897bea50dc9d0f81e05694?amp&nk=ee736f02c3fb374b1539565ad4d9c45a-1675230967

Reply #910807 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

There really isn't a cap if you want to pay tax for going over the limit. In saying that most leagues don’t have a cap, the problem with those leagues, the four or five top spenders always fight it out for championships, the rest to try make finals or avoid relegation.

Reply #910810 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

The league is effectively operating on a points limit at the moment - with values assigned as $$ rather than points - and clubs able to pay to go over the limit. Clubs can actually spend more than their official salary cap spend.

We're told some of that 'luxury tax' money is distributed to lower-spending clubs to increase their budget, and if that is actually happening I think they've found a pretty decent model.

Reply #910812 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

From the article:

"One NBA scout, who could not be named due to his club's policy, said the NBL was hamstrung by its salary cap, making it difficult to inability to retain stars with increased wages."

I don't think that scout understands the NBL's system. As I understand it it's club budgets and not the soft cap that limits spending.

Reply #910813 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Cooks will probably win MVP, but it's like when Karl Malone won, everyone knew that Jordan was better but let someone else claim the award.
Taking away Creeks off court persona (did he have any controversies this season?), he will give you 25 points, 8 rebounds, defence and team accountability.
Cotton can single handedly win any game if Perth are close in the second half. No matter whos guarding him and still knowing he's going to shoot it, he continues to be a legendary scorer.
If you take those 2 off their teams, they would be down with the Brisbanes and Hawks. Take Cooks off the King's, worst case they would be around the Adelaide mark.
So Cooks is probably the beneficiary of being the best player on a deep and even team. Provides more than his numbers suggest and winning is a big factor as well. And the nice guy on top of the Sydney media bandwagon doesn't hurt either.

Reply #910814 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

If Cooks doesn't play for kings they are still top four or better, Creek or Cotton don’t play for there clubs they are bottom three.

Reply #910817 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I completely disagree with that. Cooks is pivotal to this team. We've seen their struggles when he's been injured.

Reply #910819 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Can you name the games he missed where they struggled?

Reply #910821 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:36 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754