Bill on the ball
Last year

SEM vs Wildcats

This is do or die - expect physicality at the highest.

Forget the last game they had, where Wildcats were hurt. I watched that game, the wildcats took it too casual, allowing too much of Allan Williams in the paint whilst they covered Broekoff.

If Broekoff doesn't play, it is a different story. Tashawn will be coming to play as he did against X Cook. Creek was reasonably covered the last time (of course nobody can cover him fully).

The wildcats’ pressure game will be on early. It will put a denting perspective on SEM, forcing them to turnovers. Offensive fouls by Williams will force him to sit down.

Creek will step up but he will tire. This is going to be a pressure cooker game, one you see often in many 4th qtr wildcats game. Yes, you see a glimpse of it in the Sydney game. Expect Travers and Corey to hurt. I expect Norton will play a bloody good defensive game finally.

Manek is asked to step up. I think this guy is getting the gist of NBL in the last few games, where he is getting pretty hot under his pants.

I left cotton out till now - this guy will show his true colours this game as he missed a lot of shots against Sydney- I have never seen him play badly twice in a row. It will be hell for SEM when he gets his 3-pt shots in. When they realise he needs to be shut down, it will be opening up Corey, Manek and Tashawn.

Finally and sadly, I think SEM and Mitchell will have to start planning for next year. That’s how the cookie will crumble.

Topic #50890 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Last year

Lot dreaming there, it's a good story though. SEM will get this if Mitchell limits the time he plays his bench. Manek can’t guard Creek, yes Cotton is a massive danger. Kell v Travers also could be crucial. It’ll be close but home court should get SEM over the line.

Reply #911448 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Hot under his pants? Whatever helps Manek get more rebounds.

The best rebounding team in the league against the worst. That's the game right there.

Reply #911485 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #911486 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Was the last game of the season just a complete aberration re: Cotton, or a result of him playing ridiculous minutes all season long? That's the key to the game IMO - I'm less confident of a repeat performance from Travers, but if Cotton is in peak form the Wildcats will always have a chance. I think SEM will take it comfortably though.

Reply #911488 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

SEM to demolish Perth on the glass . They will have too many second chance points and weapons . Perth has a far better offensive team them SEM but I feel Phoenix Will monster then in the paint.

SEM 99 to Perth 95

Reply #911493 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

Perth wont have any issues putting points on the board. If they can compete on the boards and play defensive for the whole game (two things they have struggled to do all year), they will be in the game. If not, SEM shouldn't have too many issues getting the job done.

Reply #911497 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

$hitty scheduling certainly played a part in fatigue last time these teams met, Thomas just sat there watching Williams in the key most of the game. If Thomas and Manek combine for 20 boards a piece we are in with a chance if not curtains.

Reply #911503 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Given SEM's history of going iso or crumbling under pressure in the last few minutes, I see Perth winning this one.

I REALLY hope I’m wrong, tho :-)

Reply #911504 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

If Perth win, will they return home before travelling to Cairns/Tassie?

Reply #911505 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

That would seem very foolish to fly all the way back to Perth on the 10th only to fly back on the 11th. I'd expect them to go straight to the location of the last play in game especially as it is a 2pm tip off on the 12th

Reply #911509 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

It's a gruelling schedule but has been overcome in the past.

Fun fact:

The only team to ever win two one-off elimination games on the road, in the modern NBL era, is Perth.

It occurred in 2005-06 and they were underdogs in both:

08/02/2006 BNE 91-96 PER
10/02/2006 WOL 101-121 PER

They did not fly home in between games.

I still remember the Wildcats fans who stormed the court after the win in Brisbane - one was decked out in early 90s Swan Gold gear well before heritage round or retro merchandise was a thing. Respect.

Sadly the team were cooked for the semis (unsurprisingly).

Reply #911513 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Anyone know why Cotton only arrived in Melbourne today when the rest of the Wildcats came yesterday?

Reply #911581 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Last year

Was there some kind of saga and then they got him to come eventually?

Rilliw refused to explain.

Reply #911583 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Last year

Cotton joined his teammates in Melbourne after missing Tuesday night's MVP awards for personal reasons, but doubts hang over the fitness of import TaShawn Thomas after he injured his knee during Sunday’s win over Sydney Kings.

He had a little tiff with the Mrs? Lol

Reply #911584 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

He wanted to avoid the possibility of throwing his All-NBL First Team award into a river somewhere.

Reply #911586 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

MVP awards in Sydney?? So I'm guessing it's all BS so he didn't have to go to Syd then Melb within 24hrs.
Don't blame him either.

Reply #911596 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

I take it back - it was in Melbourne.

Reply #911597 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

He heard Anthony Callea was performing

Reply #911601 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Last year

He had money on cooks and didn't want to jinx it

Reply #911606 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

He was a little hot under his pants and had to get it checked out

Reply #911607 | Report this post

Marius08  
Last year

I like the Callea reason best xD

Reply #911608 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Last year

Got stuck in Perth due to visa issues

Reply #911609 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

He was still at RAC arena being held off the ball

Reply #911610 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

^^ hahaha!

Reply #911612 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Gold!

Reply #911628 | Report this post

Daly  
Last year

SEM by 6pts

Reply #911659 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Last year

SEM by 16

Reply #911666 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Cotton unleashing his entire repertoire of bricks in these past 5 quarters :/

Reply #911669 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last year

If Perth is allowing Norton to shoot 3's, it is all over

Reply #911670 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Don't count your chooks, guys.

Reply #911672 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Is Majok injured?

Reply #911673 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Last year

This is feeling like an SEM collapse.
Terrible turnovers and breakdowns on D.

Reply #911674 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Refs want to make it any more obvious?

Reply #911675 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

SEM getting absolutely every call and Simon Mitchell still complaining. Is there a bigger flog in Australian basketball?

Reply #911676 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

This is frustrating to watch

Neither of these teams are anywhere near as good as United

Both teams lack interior D. Perth lacks inside power at both ends. SEM is poorly coached.

Reply #911677 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

What United should have done is win more games

Reply #911678 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Manek has come a long way but play some D on him.

Reply #911679 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Anyone else having trouble with Kayo or is it my shit internet?

Reply #911680 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

[What United should have done is win more games]

When they don't get decimated with injuries, they'll again do what they did the last 5 years- be a serious championship contender

Reply #911683 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Which, we all know they were playing like one this season when they had their team on the floor

Reply #911684 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Which, we all know they were playing like one this season when they had their team on the floor

Reply #911685 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Next man up, United aren't on their own re injuries. The game United lost to Perth in the end bit you on the arse, no excuses there, it was just bad play.

Reply #911687 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

True. That's the game which ultimately killed their season

United had worse injuries than anyone

Except Hawks, who probably wouldnt have contended anyway

Reply #911688 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Tai Webster is horrible

Reply #911689 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Best defense on Cotton has been the Webster brothers

Reply #911690 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Why have challenges if they just uphold the original call no matter what?

Reply #911691 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Seemed like a solid challenge to me.

Reply #911692 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Foxwell should have now confirmed to coach Mitchell that he's a much better option than Adnam.

Reply #911693 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Last year

Both teams look buggered

Reply #911694 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Phoenix doesn't deserve to go any further. The players have been watching 'Dumb and Dumber’ too much

Reply #911695 | Report this post

Ostriker  
Last year

Refs letting Wildcats get mauled now... Game deciding stuff

Reply #911696 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

The Webster brothers sit the entire 4th and Perth overcome an 11 point deficit. Coincidence?

Reply #911697 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

:-)

Reply #911699 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Wildcats didn't need the Websters - all they had to do was sit back and watch Phoenix self-destruct.

Reply #911700 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Last year

Good to see Norton play his role well

Reply #911701 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

I've been critical of Norton but he was huge today - I’m all here for his redemption arc.

Reply #911702 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Are SEM supporters going to call for Mitchell's head?

Good to see JR can breathe easy after having earnt another season without constant bitch titting from Cats fans.

Reply #911703 | Report this post

Daly  
Last year

Epic choke job by SEM. Mitchell has to get sacked, rubbish coach.

Reply #911704 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

Wildcats. 41-23 in the 4th. Unstoppable. Look out finals

Reply #911705 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Best offensive quarter I've seen this season. That was incredible. Cotton had 20 of perths 41 last quarter points. What a little champion

Reply #911706 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Cotton, there is none better. SEM woefully defensively. Williams can pad his stats but Thomas beat him, Kell average, Brown had a go. Creek needs help, certainly on defence end. Travers big when it counted, o boards and points.

Reply #911707 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

LV, Perth are just as good as your beloved United flippers. Infact I bet they would beat thematic

Reply #911708 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Before they get rid of Mitchell they need to ditch Kell. Wtf was he thinking in that last quarter?!!

Reply #911709 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Now watch Perth beat the Jumpers.

Reply #911710 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

What a capitulation by SEM.

Should finally be the last straw for Simon Mitchell and whoever actually owns that team should get rid of Tommy Greer and his contracts for mates crap. He's just been running the team like his own personal fiefdom.

If Greer is still in charge no doubt he'll re-sign Adnam, Smith-Milner and give Pineau another 3 year deal. Maybe give Te Rangi another contract extension too.

Reply #911712 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Last year

Cotton killed SEM in 4th qtr.

I think it will JJ next.

Reply #911713 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Last year

Yes I was right that Norton would play good defence finally

Reply #911714 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Simon Mitchell beat Simon Mitchell today.

You leave Rowdy off for so long then sub him in when Tei Rangi was hot.

And SEM started playing Wildcats defence.

This is a major choke.

Reply #911715 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Perth and Sydney GF would be so entertaining. Best two offensive teams in the league. Points galore

Reply #911716 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Cotton just reminding everyone he is the best in the league.

Reply #911717 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Last year

Not only sub Rowdy in, but draw up TWO plays for him that they needed to score on. Ridiculous.

Reply #911718 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Perth and Sydney GF would be so entertaining.
It can't happen.

Reply #911721 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last year

I'm not a Norton fan but all credit to him for his effort in this game. Provided another option when needed.

Reply #911723 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Mitchell needs to go.

Too much iso ball and contested threes.

Not taking sufficient advantage of Williams and Creek being guarded by Wagstaff and Manek.

Too many defensive break downs and apparent lapses in concentration.

Sat Broekhoff the entire 2nd half then expected him to win the game for you. After Te Rangi had been good.

Perth are pretenders. Defense and rebounding not good enough for a title. Only made it cos Sydney threw away a dead rubber. If you can't beat them on your home floor, time to go back to assistant coaching.

Gleeson, Beveridge, Goorjian, Mike Kelly, Paul Henare. A few guys Tommy Greer should be sounding out.

Reply #911724 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Last year

Lol

Reply #911726 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Goodbye Mitchell. Perfect setup for goorj, wanted sem before Illawarra, big money owner.

Reply #911740 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Bryce was enormous and LT very good and that last quarter. Norton should be playing more minutes from now on. There were way too many turnovers in the 3rd quarter the Webster bros poor defenders and were hogging the ball when Cotton was starting to find his shot. Norton protects the ball and much better on ball defender.

That was vintage SEM choke it must be said. They've been much better this season closing out games but that was like the good ol days of epic SEM chokes. The one constant is Mitchel at the helm. What is he doing drawing up plays for an ice cold Broekoff?

The Reffing was atrocious!

Reply #911744 | Report this post

DR  
Last year

Foxwell guarding Cotten last qtr of a knock out final please and terangi is hot and you don't run with him joke . Rillie sat both Websters in the clutch he don’t care who you are which I like

Reply #911745 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Can't see Goorj coming back after his mate from the Hawks just bought into the ownership of Goorjian's new team

Reply #911749 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Excellent press conference by both Creek and Mitchell after the game, very honest and straightforward. SEM need an assassin though, Goulding type player. Perth got Cotton.

Reply #911774 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

SEM scored 99 points and 23 in the final quarter, but they gave up 41 points and 7 o-boards to the second-worst offensive rebounding team in the last quarter, they just didn't get the basics done.

Reply #911781 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Has Mitchell been fired yet?

Reply #911801 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:18 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754