Luuuc
Last year

Semi Finals: [2] Southside vs [3] Melbourne

Wed 08/03 - 7:30pm - Southside vs Melbourne (ESPN, 9Now)
Sat 11/03 - 7:30pm - Melbourne vs Southside (ESPN)
Wed 15/03 - 7:30pm - Southside vs Melbourne (ESPN2) (if required)

Topic #50969 | Report this topic

Cosmo Spacely  
Last year

Kristy Wallace , what the hell was that all about last night , verging on being totally out of control.

Reply #913381 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

If the Boomers aren't going to win with Tiff Mitchell playing that well, then when are they going to win?
On the other hand, I guess George & Wallace couldn't possibly be that bad again. Yikes.

I'm still not over Leilani Mitchell being allowed to walk into the team on the eve of the playoffs. So as much as I dislike the Flyers (that flagrant flop down the stretch by Rocci that got Mitchell called for a foul had me ready to throw something at my TV), I found myself hoping they would lose.

Reply #913388 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I don't think both George and Wallace will be that bad again next game.
Ododa imo is not even a wnba level player. Cant see her lasting much longer in wnba.

Reply #913390 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Yeah she's a bubble WNBA player for sure, but I feel like the Boomers don't do a great just of using her either.

Reply #913391 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

*a great job

Reply #913392 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

At least the Boomers are inching closer to the Flyers - it's the first time they've lost by only single digits to them this season!

If Tiff Mitchell can shoot threes like that in this upcoming WNBA season, she's going to have a career year. This is the first season where she's really demonstrated solid shooting ability.

Reply #913402 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Her shooting form still looks just as dodgy to me but yeah she's nailing threes at an impressive clip and that's all that matters.
It's always a good look for the WNBL when a player has an improved WNBA season after playing down here, so I hope it translates for her as well.

Reply #913405 | Report this post

Shotblocker  
Last year

Cosmo Spacely
A few hours ago

Kristy Wallace , what the hell was that all about last night , verging on being totally out of control.

That's how she has always played, even as a junior, and it’s never been addressed, they say it aggressive defence" but it’s also destructive , Wallace has some great attributes, a great jump shot when she’s on, but she’s been hyped up as the next PG for the opals and the "best in the league” when she really lacks in so many areas, self control being her biggest weakness .

Reply #913406 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

I think Wallace is better off the ball but she's been forced to be the primary ball handler with Madgen's injury this season and it's highlighted the wilder aspects of her game.

I don't mind Wallace's aggressive defence most of the time but yes, she does need to learn when to tone it down and understand that it's important she stays on court vs making a low percentage swipe at the ball. Her frequent charges also fall into this category - needs to be shiftier when she has the ball and improve decision making on the fly.

Also for most of her professional basketball life, she's been coming off the bench and expected to bring intensity and energy when she's inserted into the game. This is the first pro season where she's been a 30-35 mins per game starter and she needs to change her mindset to reflect this new role she's playing.

Reply #913409 | Report this post

Shotblocker  
Last year

Also for most of her professional basketball life, she's been coming off the bench and expected to bring intensity and energy when she's inserted into the game. This is the first pro season where she's been a 30-35 mins per game starter and she needs to change her mindset to reflect this new role she's playing.

Most of her professional Career she's been either injured or on limited minutes, she’s still not supposed to be playing as much as she does and she’s never been a pg , much better as a 2 she’s a great shooter when on

Reply #913416 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

She started most games last season in the WNBA, and while still prone to silly fouls she was relatively disciplined compared to this WNBL season. So she's got it in her to be better.

Reply #913425 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Wallace and George certainly more locked in this game. Having no Thornton around has certainly helped George but I think this is the most focused I've seen Wallace all season.

Rocci complaining to the refs always makes me chuckle.

Reply #913675 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Thought Rocci maybe had a broken rib but turns out it was just a liver shot.

Reply #913677 | Report this post

Tired Weevil  
Last year

Rocci is insufferable. An absolute PITA.

Wish Melbourne had played like this in the first game, then it'd be bye bye Flyers for another season.

Reply #913678 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Fizzer of a game unfortunately

Hopefully game 3 delivers

Reply #913679 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Impressive turnaround in form from Wallace, but yes a dud of a game in terms of competition. I hope Kayla Thornton is fine to go for Game 3 because Southside clearly misses what she brings, especially on the defensive end.

Reply #913680 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Puoch (or as the official boxscore calls her, Pouch) is obviously a promising young player, but she's not a playoff starter just yet. So yeah, hopefully Thornton is good to go.
And yes credit where it's due re. Wallace's bounce back from a bad game 1. It's what you'd expect from an all-WNBL caliber player.

Reply #913681 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Checked WNBL socials and can find no mention of the result outside a tweet saying it's going to game three with no further details.

Shitshow.

Reply #913687 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Indeed.
No tweet all day, then a halftime score tweet, but then no final score tweet when the game finished. Bizarre stuff.
Then at 10:54pm they give us "The Boomers have tied the Semi Final Series against Southside! We're going to Game 3" with a link to the match report.

Pathetic stuff. Not even trying.

Reply #913689 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Meanwhile NBL1 absolutely flooded my timeline.

Reply #913690 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Having game three on at the same time as game five of the NBL grand final is not ideal.

Reply #913753 | Report this post

finals 995  
Last year

At least 'kamikaze' Kristy Wallace showed that she does have another setting other than full-tilt crazy. It's been pretty alarming to see how white-line fever has completely consumed her at times this season. I am also sick of Rocci's flopping. Shame really, she doesn't need that crap in her game.

Reply #913867 | Report this post

Shotblocker  
Last year

Certainly played way better, but with Southsides import out , she shut down George last time, don't think it was a true test

That transition 3 by Wallace after Mitchel side hipped Rocci was a full n 6 step travel, reffing was pretty ordinary Lol

Tomorrow’s game should be a good one, if Southside are at full strength they should take this , if not and the refs don’t get in Wallace’s head Boomers may get through, either way think that cup has Townsville written all over it, they are playing a great brand of team basketball right now and look hard to beat

Reply #913879 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Also came here to say scheduling this game against NBL G5 is silly. WNBL gonna WNBL though.

Reply #914028 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

It wasn't a well played first half but at least it's close. Tiffany Mitchell having a real stinker in an elimination game - she's missed some easy shots but is also forcing a few up. I think I was most impressed by Puoch's defence on T Mitchell - her defence is so good for a 18 yo. I hope to see both teams hit a few more outside shots in the second half to open up the game a bit.

Reply #914045 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Wallace and Rocci are mirror images of each other with their over the top physicality. Just silly play from both.

Tiffany Mitchell scores 9 points early in the third quarter then Thornton is replaced by Puoch due to foul trouble. Mitchell doesn't score for the rest of the quarter. Puoch is a game changer for the Flyers.

Reply #914055 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Best game in the finals so far in terms of drama and entertainment, especially that last minute. Credit to Rocci - she was clutch in the 4th quarter despite her four fouls while opponent Wallace fouled out on another reckless play. That inbounds pass from George to Tiff Mitchell on the second last play was very risky and I think it was the only time all game Blicavs played good D against Tiff Mitchell lol.

Townsville vs Southside grand final series and Townsville swept Southside in the regular season series. I hope we get something a little bit more competitive than that.

Reply #914073 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Maybe not the prettiest game but I was glued from start to finish. That's what you want in a decider. Big plays, both teams in with a shot right to the end. Really enjoyed that one.

I agree that Puoch was an important part of that win. Some big plays at both ends from her.

Congrats to the Flyers.
Bring on the grand finals.

Reply #914103 | Report this post

Mike 14  
Last year

I know the commentators were raving about her, and she has been a great player, but surely Chris Lucas should have removed Leilani Mitchell with about 3 minutes to go. If not, at least on the last play. Hands down allowed an easy post feed. Ortlepp is a better defender.

Reply #914108 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Yeah, Lucas playing L Mitchell so much was questionable. She's not in game shape and struggled to make a positive contribution on court: 22 minutes, 1/6 from the field, no assists, 4 turnovers, subpar defence. Maybe he was hoping some clutch shooting or playmaking would magically manifest. Didn't happen. However, it's really Wallace's fault for white line fever taking over again.

Reply #914113 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Cracker game...

leilani would still be the opals pg over Whitcomb under sandy if she didn't have a child. Her time has past.

Fire vs Flyers should be a good GF.

Reid v Rocci
Nicholson v Cole
Samuelson v Blicavs
Hawkins v Thornton
Ruef v Bishop
+
Heal v Conti
Woods v Puoch
Aokuso v Ernst

Reply #914124 | Report this post

Shotblocker  
Last year

It was a great game, certainly couldn't tell who was going to win towards the end, which is how you want a semi to be, but can’t see Southside getting it over Townsville, right now the fire would have to do something pretty dam crazy to give it to Flyers.

Hope it’s not a walk over though , and we get another great game of basketball.

And agree, how stupid putting the men’s NBL grand final ( congrats to Sydney Kings on the win, though think fir once the women’s game was a bit more exciting ): and the women’s semi on at the exact same time, but it’s typical for WNBL, thank goodness for playbacks lol

Reply #914137 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:14 pm, Fri 3 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754