Anon
Last year

Mike Kelly Joins SEM as HC

The South East Melbourne Phoenix have finished their search for a new head coach, and have named former NBL Coach of the Year Mike Kelly as their new figurehead.

Topic #51008 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Last year

I'm not super-inspired by the choice, but time will tell I guess.
Best of luck to Mike.

Reply #914925 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Assistant sure, HC nah.

Reply #914926 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Might not be the big ex-NBA name the NBL were hyping but Kelly's a former NBL COTY and a definite upgrade on Mitchell.

Reply #914927 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Yep, not sure about this but best of luck to him. SEM first two coaches now both ex United assistant coaches.

Reply #914929 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

He did pretty well with a solid crop of imports at Cairns, I think he'll be fine at SEM.

Reply #914931 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

It's a huge upgrade on Mitchell.

Reply #914935 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Sad to see him go , but in a sense the 2 years he was here at the Cats they played some of the worst basketball in many years - finishing with a poorer record this year than last.

Maybe more to do with roster or head coach but wish him well either way.

Reply #914937 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last year

Good luck to Kelly. One of the good guys of the nbl. Interested to see how he goes as head coach of a bigger budget team than Cairns. Imports will be important for him.

Reply #914939 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

Wonder if gaze was considered

Reply #914945 | Report this post

Fugazi88  
Last year

Not sold on this at all.

Reply #914956 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
Last year

Keen to see how Kelly goes with SEM. I think he will be alright, better than what most think he will do. Did a decent job in Cairns, and now with a bigger budget, will be interesting to see what roster he can put together. Could we see a Cam Oliver back in the NBL???

Reply #914966 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Travers definitely in the mix to follow him at Phoenix

Reply #914973 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Not sure that's a good idea if that is what Travers is intending to do. I'm sure the Cavs would prefer that but his chances of making their team are virtually nil. By the time SL finishes most teams would've signed their quota of locals and just keeping money inside for imports. He would likely end up having to settle for a lot less money and take a back up role on a team willing to have him.

Strike whilst the iron's hot young fella.

Reply #914977 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Wrong thread above

Reply #914978 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Thought Kelly did alright in the low budget, low expectations environment at Cairns

Very different situation at SEM. Agree likely improvement on Mitchell

Reply #915004 | Report this post

orbit  
Last year

Thought he deserved atleast one more year in Cairns but you can't deny Forde has been a rock solid pickup.

Should be better second time round as most are in any industry. U can't teach experience.

Good luck to a great guy!!

Reply #915068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:34 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754