Reader
Last year

Delly in advanced talks to return to NBL

https://twitter.com/telegraph_sport/status/1656543272402296832

Topic #51096 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Last year

I'm surprised United are trying for him again after the first stint.

Reply #917206 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

If my memory serves the 2nd half of his season with United was pretty darn solid.

Reply #917208 | Report this post

Remember the game against the Hawks when Delly was draining three pointers out of his arse. Doubt he has ever shot like that in any other game.

Reply #917209 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Delly is a quality player and leader but if he's United's last restricted player I'd be hoping for someone better, someone more explosive at the offensive end.

Then again, this time he's unlikely to return to the NBA yet again (given he'll be 34 by the 2024-25 NBA season), so if it's a choice between a gun import for one season and Delly on a 2 or 3-year deal, take Delly.

Reply #917210 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Delly had an underrated season, doing all the things Delly does. Coaches and captains voted him all-2nd team.

Reply #917212 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

That All-NBL 2nd team selection was considered controversial given the NBL were propping up his salary. For the highest paid player in the league that season Delly was disappointing:

30 games - 10.3 ppg @ 38.9% (35.8% 3p), 4.8 apg, 3.1 rpg

Reply #917213 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Stats don't tell the full story of Delly's influence.

United were expected to miss the playoffs, but they finished minor premiers and only missed the opportunity to host the Grand Final after CG43 got injured on game day of game 3. Delly was part of the reason why.

But, with the lineup we currently have and (I assume) ongoing question around Ili's long term future, if Delly is the last guy we'll be relying on Travers really stepping up- otherwise United will be left with a team much like 2021-2022- potentially lacking offensive firepower of the top team and vulnerable to injuries to the two main scorers JLA and Goulding.

Regardless, United will be in a good place and if Travers (and Hukporti) take the big steps forward they're capable of, United will be right in the mix for the title.

Reply #917214 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I think any time you have the opportunity to take a local for multiple years, fresh from the NBA and still young enough to contribute, you pretty well take it. You can either take a punt on an import for one year, and have a 50/50 chance of it panning out, or you can sign Delly for multiple, giving you a face of the franchise and knowing what you're getting every night. Delly has turned his form around since where he was before the Tokyo Olympics and I think he'd have another very good 2 or so seasons left at NBL level. Good signing if they can get it done. But they should maybe ease up on the price tag a little. But there's going to be nothing at all wrong with what Melbourne are building.

Reply #917215 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

In fact I think we'll be competing for the title regardless. The only time we haven't under Vickerman was last season with the horrendous injuries.

But if Travers takes that tantalizing next step and if we have a reasonable run with injuries (including Ili), United will almost certainly be in the top 2 or 3.

Reply #917216 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

"Stats don't tell the full story of Delly's influence.

United were expected to miss the playoffs, but they finished minor premiers and only missed the opportunity to host the Grand Final after CG43 got injured on game day of game 3. Delly was part of the reason why."

Josh Magette took the certainties for the wooden spoon to the GF series that year with averages of 12.2, 4.1 and 5.9. I'm not suggesting he should have been second team, but plenty of guys with intangibles who performed across the entirety of that season.

Reply #917217 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I think the coaches and captains know a lot more about what someone contributes than us. I disagree with those selections at times, but the reality is those guys watch countless film and compete against everyone in the league and hence see well beyond the stats.

Reply #917218 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Often in the NBL there's obvious 1st team selections, or maybe a top 6 or 7 where 1 or 2 miss out and go 2nd team. But then 3 or 4 spots remaining and plenty of deserving options.

That was the case with Delly. He got in, but of course Magette and others would've been deserving if they'd got the nod.

Reply #917228 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Remember the game against the Hawks when Delly was draining three pointers out of his arse. Doubt he has ever shot like that in any other game.

Haha, it was Bizarro World-like.

That All-NBL 2nd team selection was considered controversial given the NBL were propping up his salary. For the highest paid player in the league that season Delly was disappointing:

30 games - 10.3 ppg @ 38.9% (35.8% 3p), 4.8 apg, 3.1 rpg

Precisely, it's all part of the LK spin and hype machine.

Now looking back most will see him on the All-NBL second team and assume he had a stronger season.

Although United would be assigning a $ value to his name for marketing purposes so from that perspective signing him again makes sense, but you would hope it will be less than what they paid him last time around.

Reply #917247 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

World Cup vs Canada?

Reply #917251 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I think the coaches and captains know a lot more about what someone contributes than us. I disagree with those selections at times, but the reality is those guys watch countless film and compete against everyone in the league and hence see well beyond the stats.

Is this still voted for at the end of the regular season? They probably gravitated to "the NBA name" which is a normal bias.

I believe traditionally this wasn't voted for by peers but the media - they need to stop needlessly messing with things that don't need to be changed exemplified by the awful decision to scrap Rookie of the Year.

Reply #917252 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Yes, it's voted at the end of the season. No, it's not voted by media. I'm not aware of any NBL award ever being a media vote, although it's not something I know much of the history of.

Rookie of the Year was turning into an absolute mess.

Reply #917253 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I get a good chuckle out of someone saying the coaches and captains disagree with me so therefore they must be wrong!

Reply #917255 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

So I take it then that one of Goulding, JLA, Delly and Travers won't be treated as a marquee and that MU will look for a scoring wing import. Its quite a lineup.

Reply #917256 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I get a good chuckle out of someone saying the coaches and captains disagree with me so therefore they must be wrong!

I'm glad I've been able to brighten up your Saturday morning.

Yes, it's opinion based so no one is wrong but you can't discredit the bias inherit based on being a name player.

It's clear his inclusion was polarising by the posts above where everyone has shared their view apart from you who has towed the NBL company line.

Yes, it's voted at the end of the season. No, it's not voted by media. I'm not aware of any NBL award ever being a media vote, although it's not something I know much of the history of.

Okay perhaps not via the media but I'm curious how it used to work as I can't recall exactly how it operated and it goes back to the 80s.

Rookie of the Year was turning into an absolute mess.

Agreed but they didn't need to change it but instead establish clearly defined parameters for the awarding of it.

Reply #917257 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

The NBL site quotes Vickerman as "seeking an import with shooting capability", so you would think even if Delly returns they'll have a scoring import at the 3. Without this too much reliance on Goulding to score from range.

Reply #917305 | Report this post

Rhino  
Last year

Delly signed a 2 year deal according to NBL facebook page.

Reply #917424 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"It's clear his inclusion was polarising by the posts above where everyone has shared their view apart from you who has towed the NBL company line."

Incorrect. I wouldn't have picked him. But I didn't play against him and study loads of footage watching all the contributions he made. The coaches and captains did.

Reply #917425 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Delly's back

JLA/Hukporti
Travers/Bowen
Krebs/Newley
CG43/Cameron/Triplett(DP?)
Delly/Ili

Nice

Reply #917426 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Apparently an import to come? If so Melbourne will wear the full salary of one of their potential marquees inside the cap.

Reply #917427 | Report this post

KeepHoopDreaming  
Last year

Ili/Cameron/Triplett*
Delly/Import/Blogg*
CG/Krebs
Travers/Bowen/Newly
JLA/Hukporti

Delly apparently on much less $ than last time apparently so I wouldn't think the cap implications are going to be as bad as people might think

Reply #917429 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

re: the Hawks game that was obviously an insane shooting streak, but again if my memory serves (ie. I haven't looked for his season stats) he became an above average 3pt shooter the 2nd half of the season after teams basically completely played off him the 1st half of the season daring him to shoot.

Solid signing for United who would have to be considered the top dollar (pardon the pun) favourites at this point unless maybe the Breakers manage to bring back their import trio.

Reply #917430 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I wouldn't have picked him.

Nice.

Reply #917434 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

But I, like you, am not on the selection panel for good reason!

Reply #917436 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Yes, but remember this is a fan forum and in our little bubble we are the experts.

Reply #917438 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

That's why we are all here, to have our opinions, hopefully he’s at a better rate than last time, still a solid signing. United surely stretching the cap.

Reply #917444 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

"United currently has no imports locked in for the upcoming season, and with nine rostered players already locked in the side will be unable to bring in more than two international players for NBL24."

- nbl.com.au

So they're thinking only 2 of their Aussies will be marquees

Reply #917449 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

I read that as possible not likely though

Brooks would be a good get

Reply #917450 | Report this post

Kas  
Last year

2 international players - might mean an import and 1 Special Restricted Player from Asia. -like Baba was.

Then they can have 3 marquee players.

Reply #917452 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Delly's reasoning for coming home seems to be to play more often and improve his Boomers chances/output. I'd say he's on the outside track for a Boomers spot right now so I hope he hasnt staked his entire life on it. He might be brought on as a third string PG but with Giddey, Exum already there, the potential for Simmons to come in, Patty able to play point, and Ingles at point-Forward, his spot looks all but redundant. Not saying he can't make it but it's going to be a hard call either way.

Reply #917469 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Delly signed 2 years - nbl website an hour ago

Reply #917474 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

It's up to teams if they nominate players as marquees isn't it? The reason to do it is to save them luxury tax on high-salary players.

Reply #917480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:30 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754