Scout
Last year

Milton Doyle signs on for 2 more with the Jackjumpers

According to Ulgun!

Great news.

Topic #51150 | Report this topic

Baller  
Last year

Huge news I thought they might struggle to keep him he has been killing it in turkey. Will be interesting what they do with the other import spots i hope they look for a elite scoring point guard and a proper big power forward/ centre

Reply #918364 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

What kind of coin would he be on?

Reply #918367 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Jack jumpers or Roth in particular are doing amazing job retaining talent and adding to an already impressive culture.

Reply #918369 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Thoughts on a two year contract? Personally pleased to lock in a great player with a solid character to a new franchise.

Agree there is still a need for some key pieces with other signings with a scoring point guard and a big as the other imports. Think Kelly and Magette will be replaced. They were solid but need a bit more. Would also like to see a Next Star and intrigued who the final Aussie will be

Reply #918382 | Report this post

proud  
Last year

Tyler Johnson said he wanted to stick around the NBL again, seemed to be a high character guy but would he fit as a Jackjumper?

Happy that Doyle is sticking around, great news

Reply #918384 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Tasmania are looking for a PG next to Doyle. Johnson more a combo guard he'd be a good fit at SEM or Cairns if they have the budget for him.

Reply #918386 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

Johnson would be a good fit at the Breakers too.

Reply #918400 | Report this post

proud  
Last year

Thanks guys for the feedback, last season I felt like Brisbane could have done with Magette and Jackjumpers would love Johnson coming off the bench providing an impact... so I'm glad that I know why that hasn’t happened now.

Reply #918448 | Report this post

orbit  
Last year

Was the leagues best import last season. The NBL's KD. That's a great signing!

Reply #918466 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Hats off to the JJs, big re-signing and one of the most fun players in the league to watch last season.

Not surprised they'd look at someone else re: Maggette - strong character guy it sounds like and I'd also agree with the above that a Tyler Johnson type is probably exactly what they'd need next to Doyle, along with another another Kelly-type combo forward. With how much coin they've probably had to throw at Doyle I doubt they'd afford Johnson unless he really loves being in Australia, which was probably a factor with Doyle returning too at a guess.

Reply #918469 | Report this post

An1234  
Last year

Milton showed he can carry the workload of scoring but running the team i thought. Great that he is back. Anytime an All NBL team guy returns is great.

Reply #918473 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Interested in what Australian player will fill the last roster spot for the JJ's. Understand they are looking at NZNBL and elsewhere.

Hopefully there is small / power forward out there that allows McVeigh to play the 3 instead of the 4. Would also an import to be filled by a legit big, they played small ball against a lot of teams last year.

Legit Point Guard who can score import, another Aussie, big import and potential Next Star (JJ's have said they are waiting for summer came to finish to focus more on Next Star and expect the same for the other imports) still to come.

Reply #918483 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Roth has no interest in playing McVeigh at the 3, it would destroy their ability to defend the perimeter.

Reply #918484 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I'm with @scout, McVeigh at the three is ideal, you can get defensive four men.

Reply #918485 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Roth isn't silly, he knows the capabilities of his players, and he and his coaches have developed McVeigh's ability to use his length and smarts in the four, where his lack of lateral quickness doesn't get exposed as much as if he's forced to defend three-men.

Roth also knows McVeigh gets open looks from the PF because his opposite number has to help on the roller in their defensive schemes. He won't get that space at SF.

It's not a coincidence Jack has played his best basketball at the 4, and that he is no longer a defensive liability when playing that spot.

Reply #918486 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Get what you are saying Anonymightymouse , what it also does though is leave the JJs vulnerable defensively at the 4 due to height.

Think McVeigh can further develop at the 3 - with a big in the side as well.

Yeah Roth is smart and out coached a lot of teams with a smaller team, would be good to see them with some height and see what happens. Could open the floor up more for McVeigh, Doyle, Madut etc

Reply #918490 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

Cooks abused McVeigh a couple of times last year, but there aren't many genuine big body 4s in the NBL. If you’re competent and have genuine size you’re probably too expensive for the NBL.

That’s why the 4s that thrive here are often undersized, think Tate or Oliver. Franks and Law recent exceptions but they aren’t exactly bangers down low.

Magnay not getting caught ball watching would
help cover most of McVeigh's deficiencies.

Reply #918492 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Yeah price range for the big sized 4 can be a factor.

Intrigued by the type of import they go for, John Collins at Atlanta type player would dominate here but there are not many about. Reckon there will be a fair wait until the next ones are locked in.

Hoping Magnay has a breakout season.

Not saying McVeigh has been outplayed but he could improve at the 3

Reply #918493 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

The reason there aren't a lot of big-bodied 4s is the speed of the game here. That type of player generally gets played at the 5 in the NBL.

Reply #918497 | Report this post

proud  
Last year

Yes to the point above looking forward to seeing the Vanilla Gorilla Rhys Vague and how he readapts to this league as he seems like the type of big body 4 that we mention but I feel he would see more 5 if Gak is injured or barely played otherwise.

Reply #918502 | Report this post

Beach Baller  
Last year

JJ's next signing... Jordon Crawford. Electric 168cm point guard. Averaged 20ppg and 6 assists in the same Turkish league as Doyle played in.

Reply #918757 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

5'6" and not young either turns 33 next month. Probably should've re-signed Magette same age and a lot taller at 6'1".

Reply #918759 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

i was thinking Magette should sign with the wildcats?

Reply #918760 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Why would they want him? They're considering re-signing Manek aren't they?

Reply #918761 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Magette was out a lot of the season due to injury, shot % not the greatest. Loved the way he played (except for the occasional flop), made up for lack of speed with smarts. Also love the concept of a real point guard playing in the league.

Jordon Crawford looks quicker with the smarts, they need an upgrade.

All quiet from the JJ's so far but posts from Turkey that he has signed in the NBL.

Will leave a vacant import spot (reckon they will wait to summer league) an Australian spot and potential Next Star.

Reply #918794 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:56 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754