Dunkman
Last year

Under 16 nationals Perth July 2023

Starting next week.

NSW country beaten by 55 by NSW metro in the singlet handout day.

Does this make metro favourites or did country get their team wrong. I'm hearing the best fours and point guard never got selected.

How are the other states fairing.

Topic #51196 | Report this topic

SabreTooth  
Last year

SA Metro girls smacked SA Country at the same event but I'm not sure there was any surprises there.

SA Metro team will be relying heavily on Gardiner, Crase, Turner and Jones. Elliott has made the trip but can't be 100% after missing a lot of basketball.

I think some of the others will struggle.

Reply #919264 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I should have made the point that I was talking about the U/ boys.

Reply #919265 | Report this post

XyZ  
Last year

NSW Metro will be strong but SA Metro and Vic Metro are favourites based on performances at ECC.

Reply #919271 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

Looking at program QLD South have some height in girls

Reply #919272 | Report this post

DriveNDish  
Last year

I hope I'm wrong. But I think the NS Country boys will struggle. At Country Tour the 2 teams played each other in the quarters & the team the AC coached won. Only ONE player from that team is in our team now. & the AC hasnt been around at the last few sessions. Then we got smashed by Metro. At least we've got NT & the ACT in pool & are a chance against them.

Reply #919275 | Report this post

Manders  
Last year

SA Metro boys very good - excellent shooters and quite athletic / fast. Vic C should do well, and many think stronger than Vic M. Vic M will need to play small ball but don't have super strong group of shooters but fire away. WA should also be strong with a good mix of bigs and creative play. Will be good to watch.

Reply #919280 | Report this post

DriveNDish  
Last year

I haven't seen QLD South in action, but there was plenty to like about both the Vic boys teams!

Reply #919283 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Girls - best prospects

Turner - sa m
Halwala - nsw m
Bobongie - qld n
Bond - qld n
Nousis - vic m
Chisi - wa m
Gardiner - sa m
Trout - nsw m
Crase - sa m
Kemp - wa m
Aukuso - nsw m
Juffermans - nsw c

Fakalata - vic m
Elliot - sa m
Hocking - sa c
Thorburn - qld n
Olechnowicz - qld s
Kolb - qld n
Smith - qld n
Ryan - vic m
Trout - nsw m
Ilic - qld s
Johnson - qld s

Probably missing a few...

Reply #919284 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

Would have Jones over Turner who will probably start to come back to the pack now but aside from that spot on for SA anyway

Reply #919291 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

I would have Turner over Crase. I know they are different positions. Crase showed lots of potential last tournament but hasn't taken the next step since then. Hopefully she proves me wrong this tournament

Reply #919293 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Fagan not attending for vic m because of n.t selection.

Reply #919294 | Report this post

DriveNDish  
Last year

NSW Metro Boys
Bailey Hansen's a combo guard and has been lighting up the 16s JPL competition & keep an eye on Austin Prosser who's a long wing with a great 3 ball & high IG.

NSW Country Boys
Guards Charlie Mogg scores & Josh Boyle is a lightening fast penetetrator & scorer.

Reply #919297 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Day 1

G
Wa m beat act - Chisi was excellent with 16/13 and 4 steals, no Kemp.

B
Vic c beat wa m - Maxwell the clear standout with 26/12/5

Reply #919336 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

NSC getting smashed at the half, turn over heaven.

Reply #919358 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

ACT also winning the battle of the territories over NT easily

Reply #919359 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

When politics comes into selections over talent, you get results like nsc did today. Such is life.

Reply #919363 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Is there a way to see results? I can see stats but no results

Reply #919389 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Basketball australia site has the results.

Reply #919391 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Thank you, I was looking at the live stats there but didn't see the results at the top on the main page.

Reply #919392 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

09 Olechnowicz with 37/7/3/6 in 23 minutes.
09 Smith also had a great first game with 32/9/3/4 in 34 mins.

Reply #919395 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Which state are the above for Weedy?

Reply #919397 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Qld s + qld n

Reply #919398 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

Pool A is looking very strong for the boys. Vic Metro, SA Metro, QLD North and NSW Metro all looking very convincing today. Tassie no pushovers too. Pool of death.

Reply #919399 | Report this post

J  
Last year

Sa country boys come from 22 down to beat qld south by 16. Hampton-matthews with 48 in unbelievable display!

Sa country beat sa metro on singlet preso day.

Reply #919402 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

Great job by SA Country. Good to see a country team playing so strongly.

QLD South don't look very strong this year though. Not sure how the practice games went between them and QLD North, but North looks comparatively much stronger

Reply #919404 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Great win by SA Country but you need to settle down regarding them beating SA Metro as Metro played their bench mostly

Reply #919406 | Report this post

J  
Last year

Not sure why you think I need to settle down! Just a statement because of comments about games in other states. Seems it hit a bit of nerve with you though! Sa country bench players played too by the way and had two out not that it matters being a trial and all! Metro starters also still had plenty of minutes! Anyway two good results for sa country particular without their starting centre given their sever lack of size already! Hoping both SA teams can keep on winning!

Reply #919415 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Gardiner with a big game vs a team expected to medal.

Reply #919429 | Report this post

+  
Last year

yes keeping Qld Sth to 36 points won't happen too often

Reply #919430 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

Gardiner and Hardin were great

Reply #919431 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

SA Metro look the goods, clash with Vic should determine 1/2 in the pool. Queensland South very disappointing and we're never close.

As per previous topic at AJC, Gardiner looking great with 24 & 14. Hardin impressive game as well with 3/4 from 3, rest of the team 0/12.

Worry for SA will be depth, 9 points from the bench and all from 1 player. They only look 6 deep so hopefully VIC Metro can capitalise.

SA selectors may regret some notable omissions. Maybe.

VIC Metro, SA Metro and NSW Metro to battle for the medals.

Reply #919433 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Sa metro w look a step ahead of the other 2 early on. Outside of 4 teams, the rest are pretty terrible tbh.

Not a whole lot of talent in the 08 group even with a few injuries around, certainly deeper pool in 09.

Reply #919434 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

SAM's lack of depth will test them once the finals start I think. Elliot the only bench player that looks capable and she's coming off injuries and not a lot of basketball

Might be a case of stop Gardiner, stop SA

Having said that they're looking like champs at the moment

Reply #919444 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

Queensland North look like a medal contender in the girls?

Reply #919453 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Without Bobongie, might not have enough.

Reply #919454 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

It looks like the VIC Metro boys are the form team. They put on an absolute clinic today against QLD North, 116-65.

The VIC Metro vs. SA Metro game on Thursday will be interesting

Reply #919463 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Pretty crazy the disparity between teams this year in both boys and girls

Reply #919466 | Report this post

They way it's looking in the boys it could end up SA and Vic Country 1 and 2 in one pool and Vic and SA metro 1 and 2 in the other pool!

Agree with Weedy, and depth in individual teams looks a little shallow too. Those that don't have foul issue will smile.

Reply #919469 | Report this post

J  
Last year

Both sa teams remain unbeaten both beating wa teams today. 7-0!

Reply #919472 | Report this post

+  
Last year

way too early re making medals calls - another day or two

Reply #919474 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

Does anyone know where you can see the U16 program? the www.nationalchamps.basketball site doesn't seem to have it

Reply #919484 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

https://nationalchamps.basketball/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/230002_National_Champs_U16_Program_web.pdf

Reply #919485 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

Thanks @Weedy Slug!

Reply #919486 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last year

These blow out games are crazy!

Vic metro B & G both looking good considering I was skeptical at the start of Vic Metro Girls. I still don't believe they have the strongest team, and maybe just that the other states may be weaker in this age group then first thought. No disrespect to the selected team. The QS coach/ team perhaps leaned on Olechnowicz too much vs Vic M

Reply #919489 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

The results SA are getting are a testament to their high performance program.

Reply #919491 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Little bit disturbing, nz champs were a deeper/closer contest with more teams.

Reply #919492 | Report this post

J  
Last year

Another good win for sa country boys beating Vic country (previously undefeated) by 27. Will now finish top of their pool.

Reply #919493 | Report this post

Manders  
Last year

Vic M going well, but also v impressed with Vic C (and in boys would say Vic C might be favourite) Reality is that they could have taken a few more teams from Vic who would have been more than competitive - very even year level in Vic.

A reminder that these kids were 11 / 12 / 13 during COVID and we are seeing the impact of that across a number of programmes.

Reply #919495 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

The state programs who were shut down the longest during covid are doing better...

Vic m boys n girls doing good
Vic c boys ok
Vic c girls bad

Covid is an excuse Imo as kids were still training at home via online programs.

Reply #919497 | Report this post

Manders  
Last year

Not even close to the same thing as competitive training, and that's saying nothing of the challenges of engagement and re-engagement. Some athletes will have had no issues, and even thrived with the additional isolation time to work on their game and have had no issues. But that is no way universal. Anyway, just worth recognising that these kids at the tournament have spent a few of their key development years during COVID.

Reply #919498 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last year

If kids/parents wanted to train they were doing it somehow during covid in VIC.

Vic C G is very disappointing. Been told that during combined camps and even SDP that the country players are not up to the same speed as the metro kids. Perhaps true for the girls, but maybe that because there are less to choose from? The boys don't seem to have the same problems.

Reply #919499 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last year

I do agree with Manders, not the same as on court gameplay/experience.

Reply #919500 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

I agree with Weedy - Maybe time to stop using COVID as an excuse. I know kids that were smashing the practice at home when things were closed and improved their skills dramatically. Whilst team training was not happening, good coaching catches those concepts up quickly.

Reply #919504 | Report this post

Truthteller  
Last year

Who so far would we consider the stand out players on the mens side. Do they have a national camp or anything to kind of aim for post this tournament this year?

Reply #919505 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

Maybe the Vic kids trained more post-lockdown because they felt they missed so much.

Or maybe the talent pool Vic draws from is still generally better than other states, despite the impact of the Vic lockdowns.

Reply #919506 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

U15 oceania is late 2024, the first n.t tournament for 09 kids. Likely see a few camps early next year or mid year.
08 kids have a slim chance of u17 WC spots in 2024. Fagan the only current 2008 apart of the sapphires.

Next u16 ajcs is where you see the talent get identified for future sapphires / crocs.

Reply #919507 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

From this tournament, some of the 09s showing promise are

Fakalata
Elliot
Hocking*
Thorburn
Hardin
Smith*
Olechnowicz*
Stockley
Foai
Ryan*
Trout
Ilic
Coble
Johnson
+ next years lot

*likely locks for future sapphires based off this years stats

Boys are harder to identify at this age, have to wait another year where all the best 09s are in one spot.

Reply #919508 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Hocking is a points machine in SA. Seeing the full stats sheet for this group for the first time is quite revealing. I'm personally surprised at the low conversion rate for both Hocking and Elliott. And pleasantly surprised by Hardin who has been fantastic.

Reply #919510 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

Wombat I reckon it's more a testament to the talent in 09 and 08 than the SA High Performance program

Hocking can definitely score but takes a lot of shots and is not a great shooter. Plays really hard though which you love to see

Elliott maybe a bit underdone? Hardin really impressive as I thought she might struggle due to her size

Reply #919513 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Not looking good for other states next year when you combine SA G 07 with 08(u18) and 09 with 10(u16)

Reply #919516 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

Agree Weedy - I like the girls guard depth they are producing in particular. I think the below should be on the radar over the next few years from what I've witnessed over last few months at NJC and AJC

Hodges (SAM) - poise, composed, long, great passer and court vision, elite shooter (5’9-5’10)
Lehmann (SAC) - elite finisher at the rim, elite passing skills, below average shooter, has moved to COE (5’9)
Thompson (SAC) - quick, elite shooter but doesn’t shoot enough, high IQ and passing skills (5’9)
Niemann (SAM)- liked her AJC this year and last year, lock down defender and can shoot the 3 ball decent. Ceiling doesn’t seem as high as others going forward (5’8)

Tredrea (SAM) - showed potential at NJC, very similar skill set to Hodges but left hand dominant, still needs to fill out physically (5’9)
Hahn (SAC) - strong, likes to finish at rim, needs to develop jump shot, been sick at AJC, played well at NJC (5’8)

Hardin (SAM) - elite shooter and can create off dribble for herself and teammates (very small at 5’2-5’3)
Hocking (SAC) - strong, normally finishes well around the rim, needs to develop a jump shot and create more for others. Played very well at NJC (5’9)
Elliot (SAM) - hasn’t shown her best this week but just going on what I’ve heard. Quick, creates off the dribble, normally elite shooter (5’9)
Jaekel (SAM) - few people I have spoken to seem to rate her, elite shooter (5’6)

However you look at it, SA High Performance would be feeling pretty good with the talent they have at their disposal. Will be an interesting 2 years to see where all these girls end up.

Reply #919521 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

It will be interesting to see if Jenna O'Hea can effect some meaningful changes in the Vic Metro girls program. If she does a good job I expect there will be a big rebound in performance in both age groups.

Reply #919522 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

I can't see anyone touching Vic Metro in the boys next year. Their 07 and 09 boys are particularly strong

Reply #919525 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

U16 vic metro will be pretty good next year, good enough to match sa m.
Not u18s though even with dakic and fagan returning.
Sa will have somfai, Gardiner, tredrea, Crase on top of the guards mentioned above.

Reply #919526 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Well tredrea is a guard but you get what I mean.

Reply #919527 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

This Tredrea talk is strange. She couldn't make state team as a top age player in 16s and now we are thinking she will make state as a bottom age in 18s and putting her name with the likes of Somfai, Gardiner and Crase? Crazy! She did well at NJC but a few weeks before that had 1 point in the GF of the state championships and that game went to over time! As with all juniors I hope they do well but I don't think this hype with her currently is warranted.

O7 I would be adding G.Taylor

Reply #919531 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Fingers crossed SA keep going. Looking forward to the game against Vic Metro today.

Weedy - 2010s age group is not strong in SA; lacks depth early in the piece. Any success next year for SA U16 girls mostly relies on adding more 09s with exception of one (maybe two at a push). So we'll take whatever we can this year and hope HPP works well. Same age group from VIC will smash SA.

Reply #919532 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

Agnew will be a significant in for the Vic girls u18, after being injured last year, particularly as she can shoot which the team lacked. There are also some other very good girls who missed last year for whatever reason who would greatly strengthen that group. Time will tell in any case.

Reply #919533 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

Bball fan - I said she showed potential due to dominating at NJC, a significantly better competition than SA state champs (I guess everyone has an average game). I agree some are getting ahead of themselves but personally, liked what I saw. Like I said similar skill set to Hodges who I rate highly, smart, long, decent height, composed and can shoot.

Somfai, Gardiner and Hodges are clear cut best of next years SA U18's. Crase overrated, high volume rebounder that struggles to finish.

Don’t agree with Taylor, watched her at AJC last year, low ceiling, high volume shooter that isn’t a very good shooter. Struggled to fit into not being a main option.

Don’t agree with where the Vics will be, NSW Metro will be the favourites follow by SA.

Reply #919538 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

SixersFan Taylor? Would not have her in the conversation at all

Tredrea has put her name forward after NJC and as mentioned before she has some physical attributes that the other guards don't have. I do agree that she needs to go on with it though and has not done enough yet. But if she keeps growing and improving then she'll have a good chance as a long athletic PG in a sea of 5'6 PGs

Reply #919539 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

Kind of repeated what you said there Blues but agree 100%

Reply #919541 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Nsw or sa u18
Vic or qld u16

Reply #919542 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

NSW U18
VIC U16

Reply #919543 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Hey Blues67 - think you've mixed me up with SixersFan.

Reply #919547 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

Hey Bball Fan- Yeah looks like I did, sorry

Reply #919555 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

What the hell is the sa country coach doing?, win by 43 and have 3 players play 0 minutes and 1 player 8.

Reply #919582 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last year

Agree Weedy! Play the bench coach. Rotations in obvious situations have been off all round I would say.

Reply #919583 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

Weedy they've had the flu go through them I believe

Reply #919584 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Hey Weedy went and watched a couple of games yesterday and noticed SACountry only had 7 players suited up and on the bench
Possibility of illness and/or injury. They had 10 suit up the night before

Reply #919586 | Report this post

Manders  
Last year

Yeah, they've been unwell. Sensible coaching to let them rest. It’s a tournament after all.

Reply #919592 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

They didn't make top 8, tournament over.

Reply #919593 | Report this post

Manders  
Last year

Oh well, they are 14 / 15 and not well. There you go.

Reply #919594 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Agree, forfeit. No point in risking the whole team.

Reply #919595 | Report this post

J  
Last year

Any predictions on the quarterfinals in the boys side?

Reply #919596 | Report this post

+  
Last year

will it be a SAM v SAC crossover final ?

Reply #919597 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Weedy are you saying the healthy players should have given up playing a nationals game for the opportunity to spend time with the players effected by the flu?

Reply #919598 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

I can't see any upsets in the boys QFs.

Vic Metro, Vic Country, SA Metro and SA Country should all get through.

I think Vic Country vs. NSW Metro might be the closest.

Reply #919601 | Report this post

Manders  
Last year

Must say some of the shooting from range has been a bit off. I like the confidence of some of these kids to keep shooting despite being 0/5 or 1/6, but sometimes it's not your day and you need to recognise that (or the coaches do). Doesn’t go down as a turn-over, but most often that’s just what they are. I guess that is down to maturing as a player, which is what this is about.

Reply #919602 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

Gold medal game predictions?

Boys - Vic Metro vs SA Country
Girls - SA Metro vs NSW Metro

Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up wrong, foul trouble in semis to key players could see any of these teams playing off for bronze.

Reply #919608 | Report this post

J  
Last year

In the boys if the quarters go as expected I think it will be Vic m v Vic c in one semi and sa m v sa c in the other semi. Neither of those results are clear cut but to me vic m would be the favourite for gold at present in my book.

Reply #919612 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

According to the official program, just over 30% of all players in this years U16 girls are bottom age. Qld Sth 5/10 bottom age, Qld Nth 7/10 bottom, SA Country 6/10 bottom, NT 8/10 bottom.

The comp leading scorer, Olivia Olechnowicz (24ppg) and leading assists, Daisy Hocking (4.8APG) are both bottom age!!

Reply #919621 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

JNR N.T contention? (From this tournament)

Halwala 5'5 nsw m
Mcmechan 5’6 vic m
Turner 5’8 sa m
Mccowan 5’9 nsw c
Bond 5’9 qld n
Nousis 5’10 vic m
Chisi 5’10 wa m
Chopping 5’11 tas
Trout 6’1 nsw m
Juffermans 6’1 nsw c
Aukuso 6’1 nsw m
Gardiner 6’2 sa m
Smith 6’2 tas
Hastings 6’2 nsw m
Melksham 6’4 qld s
-
(Some other 08 Outside this tournament N/A)
Tredrea 5’9 sa m
Bobongie 5’9 qld n
Kemp 6’1 wa m
Fagan 6’3 vic m

*Fakalata 5’3 vic m
Robinson 5’4 wa m
Hardin 5’5 sa m
Thorburn 5’5 qld n
*Hocking 5’7 sa c
Elliot 5’9 sa m
*Smith 5’9 qld n
*Olechnowicz 5’9 qld s
Stockley 5’10 sa c
Foai 5’11 qld s
*Ryan 5’11 vic m
Trout 5’11 nsw m
Coble 6’1 nsw c
Ilic 6’2 qld s
*Johnson 6’4 qld s
-
*Likely locked in sapphires imo given skill or size.
-
(09 outside this tournament)
TBD next year, can think of a few good names though.

Reply #919624 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

It's a good list, they all certainly have talent, will be interesting to witness who goes on with it and falls away over next 1-2 years. There is always a significant difference in what an U16 AJC team looks like now and what it ends up at U18 AJC, 2 years later.

I’m sure many of these will float through national camps so selectors can get a closer look at the talent in the near future. Very hard to make judgement calls, when many are still growing and may take a huge jump in their game.

AFLW / women’s rugby league will certainly shape this list as well.

Reply #919628 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

The shooting, particularly from guards has been quite poor. Hopefully that's just a hiccup rather than the norm for some of these girls

Reply #919630 | Report this post

benchballer  
Last year

Curious on peoples thoughts on number of turnovers, seen as high as 40+ (think it was a boys game), some games 30+ to both teams. Is that skill level or pressure or both?

Reply #919634 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Qld s program, holy cow... not good.

Reply #919637 | Report this post

BigD  
Last year

Considering that VIC Metro's new head coach of development is someone who has never coached... ever (am aware of playing experience, but this has zero impact on the knowledge of coaching and player development).
Coaching is more than run a few sets/concepts and run a few drills.
I wouldn’t hold out much hope of changes with the Vic Metro program.

Reply #919640 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Nice day for wa c boys n girls.

Reply #919642 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Semis

G
SA M VS QLD N
VIC M VS NSW M

B
SA C VS WA M
VIC M VS NSW M

Reply #919643 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

Two boys teams mentioned as pre-tournament faves going out today with WAM taking out SAM and NSWM taking out VC

Reply #919644 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Gold/Silver
B SA C VS VIC M
G SA M VS VIC M

Bronze/4th
B WA M VS NSW M
G QLD N VS NSW M

Reply #919659 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

Feels like Vic Metro in the boys and SA Metro in the girls

Reply #919661 | Report this post

J  
Last year

Maybe but sa country will will give it everything they have has been an unbelievable run so far they are in rare air. I think sa country boys have only medaled once before ever.

Reply #919667 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

SA Country only had 10 assists for the game yesterday, with 16 turnovers. Not much ball movement at all. I guess when you have two scorers that prolific you just let them do their thing, but it does feel like that style of play becomes easier for a team with strong defenders to negate.

Reply #919674 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

Trying to put bias aside, quietly confident VIC can do the double today.

On the girls side, Vic should have learnt plenty from the last time they played SA. It might be a case of pack the paint and dare some of their guards to make 3's. SA have been pretty average from the perimeter so far and that takes into account how wide open many of their 3’s have been. Saying that, if they can’t put a clamps on Gardiner then it’s all over. Vic guards have been steadily improving as the tournament has gone on. Foul trouble to a Gardiner and foul prone Turner would certainly help the cause as well. Looking forward to this one.

In the boys side - agree with Deep Wombat. Lack of depth and ball movement could cost SA Country. Vic are a lot more balanced imo. Key to both games is restricting turnovers in what has been a turnover-fest throughout the entire competition.

Should be a great day of hoops!

Reply #919676 | Report this post

+  
Last year

well they certainly put some 3s up

Reply #919681 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

Vics completely out coached.
Why didn't they double Gardiner on occasion and make the others beat them? SA struggled from 3 all tournament and yet only had to take 4 attempts from the perimeter all game. The points in the paint was a massive +28 in favour of SA.
Hats off to SA, particularly Gardiner, Jones, Crase and Turner.

Reply #919684 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

NSC were so poor, it happens when a few of the players are there on the mates act.

Reply #919685 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Boys
G VIC M
S SA C
B NSW M

Girls
G SA M
S VIC M
B QLD N

Reply #919686 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

weedy locking a player into a nat team squad, who was the 10th player on their respective State team, interesting choice. Picking a player just because they are tall, but actually no taller than other players on the same team is a little strange.

They should be picking the strongest team not using it (worlds) as another development tournament. The COE just graduated a tall player who struggled to get more than 5 minute of playing time at any level and not much has changed.

Reply #919687 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I'm aware of who the other bigs are around the country, that’s why I can make such a big call. 2010 is very limited in the big department, not many true centres. Quite a few 09 bigs but not many in npp system, Johnson is(with 3 guards).
The only other 09 bigs at this ajc were Ilic, Coble and Woosnam.
Outside of these 4, not many around the country.
Barbakas from vic would also be a lock Imo.

Reply #919688 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Weedy Slug 2010 Gribben could be an option as a big

Congratulations to SA Metro Girls as well as SA Country boys. Both teams did fantastic!

Reply #919691 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Gribbin / Jarvis at njc were good performers.
Cox I believe is 2011.

The fight for 09/10 spots is at the pg position imo.
I'd wait till next year until they all face each other.
Fakalata, Elliot, Hocking, Robinson, Jones, Curtis etc etc etc

Sg, sf, pf, c spots, atleast 2 look like locks in each position,
11/12 women plenty of options...

Reply #919692 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Weedy just likes to be a juniors hero. Either a rejected coach or someone who knows too much and likes to big note themselves when they shouldn't. Either within BA or recently removed. Because people with such knowledge don’t post on anonymous forums

Reply #919694 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Bad day seb?

Reply #919695 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Actually Sebastian, people on here actually appreciate Weedy Slug's input and can tell he is knowledgeable and adds value, unlike yourself. Get back to thinking 16 points, 8 rebounds and 5 steal per game is struggling and continue with the rest of your normal stupid post.

Reply #919696 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Thanks man, appreciate it.

Reply #919697 | Report this post

TRFC  
Last year

A couple of 2010 centres from NSW metro JPL look promising.

Reply #919698 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Keep up the good work, Weedy.

Reply #919699 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Hornsby?

Reply #919700 | Report this post

TRFC  
Last year

Yep. Seen them play a number of times. Very different to each other but high potential ceiling.

Reply #919701 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

....and Sebastian is an antagonist. Keep to the topics not the 'Guess Who' game.

Reply #919705 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

I don't always agree with Weedy but I appreciate their input. They’re more knowledgeable than across multiple age groups than other posters here. It’s good to have some insight into age groups I’m less familiar with.

Reply #919706 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Who would be your locks for 09/10?

Reply #919707 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

at this stage
*U15 Oceania - late 2024
U16 Asia - mid 2025
U17 WC - mid 2026

*U15 locks imo
Would be interested to hear others opinions.

09/10
MFakalata PG
PG, CG or SG...
DHocking CG
JJones CG
ISmith SG
OOlechnowicz G/F
G/F or SF…
MRyan CF
CF or PF…
CBarbakas PF
C…
VJohnson C

The other open guard spot is a difficult choice.
I could list 10-15 possibles.
Hardin, Elliot, Robinson, Thorburn played pretty well at these ajcs
09 Ljubicic from vic playing very well atm in vjbl. One to keep an eye on.
Scarafilo high ceiling, another 09.
Bonham a 10 from nsw c 2 standout 10 tasmanians.

G/F or SF, look out for TiePuoch, just starting to resemble Nyadiew.
Daly also looking promising as best in sa 2010.
Toeleiu very good but already plays for Samoa.

CF or PF, 3-5 possibles, would have to watch develop for another year.
Ilic the only one to get an early run at ajc. Quite a few in the 6'1 height range around.

C, 3-5 possibles, same as above. Get a better idea next u16ajc.
5 I’ve seen from 5 different states, 1 I’m not certain is 08 or 09 yet, has no history beyond 1.5 years of basketball.

Reply #919708 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

The next 12 months will be interesting to see who develops and to see any 2010s put themselves on the radar to supplement what was seen this last week. I'd hope some of those already putting their hat in the ring (and I think similarly to Weedy’s list ATM) for selection reach a higher rate of conversion for both 2 pts and 3 pts efforts.

Reply #919712 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Smith had a shocker converting at the rim this ajcs but I've seen enough over many years to know that’s not the norm.

Reply #919713 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Weedy, I don't disagree too much with this list.

Reply #919718 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Who else would you have pinch?

Reply #919720 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

Of the bottom age SA Metro guards, Hardin was better than Elliot at AJC, however prefer Elliot due to considerable height difference and much better prospect long term (if she can stay healthy that is).

Many are high on Fakalata, not so sure, seems a real ball stopper to me. Definitely talented but like Hardin, on the small side and not long.

Very knowledgeable as always Weedy, don't listen to the haters!

Reply #919722 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I would lean towards a shooter over another facilitator in the open guard spot.
Hocking was the assist leader and Jones is also really good.

Fakalata better vs pressure and a bit more well rounded than others in contention. Hardin had a better ajc though, Both were poor in the Final vs each other.

Elliot good size, Fakalata hopefully with a growth spurt, Luisa had one and ended up 5'9.

Reply #919723 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Hardin, Elliot, Robinson, Thorburn played pretty well at these ajcs
09 Ljubicic from vic playing very well atm in vjbl. One to keep an eye on.
Scarafilo high ceiling, another 09.
Bonham a 10 from nsw c 2 standout 10 tasmanians.

I'd probably lean towards Ljubicic, Scarafolio and Bonham as they have the ability to score at will and have good size to defend and rebound . I think scoring is an underrated trait in women’s basketball.

Reply #919725 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last year

Weedy's assessment of the up and comers from 09 definitely solid.
Ljubicic high on the list from my perspective, fast, reliable bit high on the foul count at times but puts pressure on. Barbakas yes at times as well, definitely a force to be reckoned with but depends who she is teamed with and can sometimes play to the beat of her own drum rather than the team’s.
Fakalata I’m not sold on, could think of 2-3 other off the top that could fill that role, could roll Scarafilo through. She gets to the basket easily but also count shoot from outside.
Looking back at the 22 season of VJBL you’d have to say that Nunawading, Casey, Melbourne and Sandringham had the best prospects but with player movement maybe now Dandenong is in the mix (albeit with former Nunawading players).
Jones 2010 as a bottom age that would have to be considered.

Reply #919729 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Has anyone heard where the 16s will play next year? Whisper is Adelaide ?

Reply #919737 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

Wouldn't be surprised that Adelaide get it as they have a brand new state centre

Reply #919740 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Agree with Weedy. A shooter is needed. Daly as SG from 2010 is my choice over what I've seen this week and in other NJC/SCC. Elite shooter, high IQ and very efficient in offence but needs to improve first step speed and defence. Also plays in pretty average teams in big comps but still consistently produces very good numbers. Most others suggested play in strong teams, especially other bottom ages in Jones and Bonham. I’d love to see what Daly could do in a strong team.

Reply #919742 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Agree with Weedy. A shooter is needed. Daly as SG from 2010 is my choice over what I've seen this week and in other NJC/SCC. Elite shooter, high IQ and very efficient in offence but needs to improve first step speed and defence. Also plays in pretty average teams in big comps but still consistently produces very good numbers. Most others suggested play in strong teams, especially other bottom ages in Jones and Bonham. I’d love to see what Daly could do in a strong team.

Reply #919743 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

I tend to think out of the 2010 if Jones was on a bad team she would still make them win and wouldn't say Bonham at Wollongong has a strong team, think she helps them win games. Daly is a great shooter and agree with foot speed, she needs to learn how to help her team win.

Reply #919760 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Weedy I'm surprised Sarafolio didn’t make state team over the bottom ager from Casey

Reply #919761 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last year

Pinch - agree, Scarafilo is a standout and in a good team with equal players, even better I'm sure and there’s another couple of bottom ages from Casey itself that could’ve been good shooting wise as well.

Reply #919774 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Should be a good vic m team next year with 09/10 combined.

Maybe?

Fakalata
Jones 10
Ljubicic
Scarafilo
Toeleiu 10
Puoch
Ryan
Jarvis or Springett? 10
Barbakas
Richardson?

Reply #919775 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Maybe 2-3 spots on that team up for grabs

Reply #919776 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

VIC and both QLD N and S are the teams to beat next year. SA won't be going back-to-back, even with potential
home court advantage.

Question for those in the know - how does it work in the case of Toelieu representing Somoa? Can they change allegiances and does it affect their state selection at all?

Reply #919779 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Won't stop them playing for state
You can change allegiance in fiba comps but I believe only once and only with a legit reason and with a set amount of games played already.

Enormous amount of players with Samoan heritage in Aus and nz. Samoa would be a very good team if everyone went that way. Every ajc or nz jnr Comp has 1-3 highly rated Samoan heritage players.

Notoas, seumanutafas, manumaleugas, filemu, tutani, foai, mailei, hiko, afualo, siione, tavete, toeleiu etc etc, even more in nz

Reply #919780 | Report this post

Groote  
Last year

From what was spoke about with BA officials by the WA High Performance staff

2024 Nationals
20s: Geelong, VIC
18s: Northside, QLD
16s: Adelaide, SA
14s: Casey, VIC
Schools: Gold Coast, QLD

Reply #919781 | Report this post

+  
Last year

SA about to open a new State Basketball centre - so that will fit in nicely.

Reply #919782 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Scarafilo is a genuine gun, awesome athlete with great IQ. Was there some football/Basketball cross over and she decided to pick football training, which may have jeopardised her BB selection?
Most states would've been preparing for her to be selected I would've thought.

Reply #919785 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Any 08 dudes people think could sneak into crocs selection within the next 2 months?

Reply #919787 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Weedy Slug...Do you think any of the 2 SAC boys that shot the lights out in WA are a chance ?

Reply #919793 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Probably not since they released the extended list last month. If they do add a few, it likely would be the 2 from sa c. Cant see anyone else getting a call up though.

Reply #919794 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Have you got the extended list ? Any time frame around they will select the next girls AUS camp squad?

Reply #919795 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Have you got the extended list ? Any time frame around they will select the next girls AUS camp squad?

Reply #919797 | Report this post

benchballer  
Last year

Weedy and Frogface, you would think the SAC lads have a chance, but considering the squad picked from last U16 AJC wasn't picked on Championship form, and the current squad has players who didn't compete at the Under 18 champs this year, the answer would clearly be who the hell knows! :)

Reply #919810 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

thanks benchballer, that why i was wondering the extended squad. i haven't seen it, wondering if its public yet.
those 2 SAC lads are the hottest hands in AUS so they'd deserve a spot if it was available

Reply #919814 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Yes frogface, if anyone it should be those two. They were the two top scorers in the entire competition, averaging over 50 points combined. Matthews-hampton was top for points, steals and assists in the competition which is incredible! It is also remarkable that they got themselves undefeated throughout the tournament except for the last game with not as strong a side altogether.

Kirikiri was also impressive in the final and great to watch. Anytime SAC went on a run, Vicm would just run down and hit a few threes to blow it out a bit more

Reply #919829 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

07/08 Boys Crocs

VIC
Beauchamp
Brammall
Cheeseman
Coleman
Daniels
Duff-Tytler
Kanngiesser
Kuany
Pilimai
Sewell

WA
Gashaw
Bucknell

QLD
Cotton

TAS
Walker

ACT
Nyuon

NSW
Ansuh-Yeboah
Clague
Lau

SA
Dickeson
Hughes
Mackenzie
Manyang

NT

The boys u16 asia tournament is from 17-24 September 2023.

In the girls, if we qualify through u16 asia, the next sapphires camp 07/08 is likely after ajc u18s 2024, before the u17 WC.
The new sapphires camp 09/10 won't be until after ajc u16s 2024 aimed at first phase u15 oceanias late 2024.
The future gems team 06/07 list will probably come out in a few months for first phase u17 oceanias late this year, 2023.

Potential gems names
Fahnbulleh
*Bond
Harvey
Deas
McBean
Portus
Cox
Bessell
*Bobongie
Dart
Potts
Gardiner
*Shiels
Fuller
Salandra
Bird
Webb
Puoch
*Clarke
Metcalfe
*Portlock
*Hall
Perkins
Lehman
Fotu
Seumanutafa
Corasaniti
Dakic
Hodges
Notoa
Thompson
Aherne
Petrie
Bijkerk
Taylor
Mead
Russell
*Somfai
Hanson
Crook
Jackson

+ whoever else…

*locks you would think.

Reply #919830 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Do that Crocs group have a camp and have dates been announced?

Reply #919831 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Thanks @ Weedy Slug.. Your knowledge is off the charts so thank you for keeping everyone up to speed.
I know there is a lot of water to go under the bridge between now and the camp/squad for the 09/10 girls and boys group.
But if you were coaching who's your team from what you have seen.

Reply #919857 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I wouldn't make a decision on 09/10 boys until next year, after u16s.

The girls 09/10 group I already listed my potentials, something like

Fakalata, others might have someone different, Elliot, Hardin, robinson etc etc
Hocking
Jones
Guard tbd - maybe Ljubicic or Scarafilo or Bonham
Smith
Olechnowicz
SF - maybe Puoch or Daly etc
Ryan
Forward tbd
Barbakas
Centre tbd
Johnson, others have stated maybe not at this point in time.

Reply #919858 | Report this post

Jacobdownley  
Last year

Weedy
Do you reckon there's a top 24 08 players from that tournament who could possibly get the u15 aus camp.

Reply #919902 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Hopefully some 08s make it into camp.
Camp lists are usually under 24 players here in Aus, 22 currently on the boys u16 list.
Imo these days camps should have atleast 30.

Canada, France and Spain usually have between 40-60, usa have over 150.

Reply #919903 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

@weedy.. Have you heard if there was any additions to the boys squad, especially after the NJC in WA or did they settle with the original squad?

Reply #920658 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last year

07's seems like such a strong group of boys nationally it looks like it would be difficult for any 08’s to break in.

Reply #920659 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Thanks DeepWombat. I dont disagree with your comments, i haven't heard any changes so i was just floating it out there to see if anyone has.

Reply #920660 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:45 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754