retired
Last year

U14 National Clubs

The event started today and there is no place to get the results unless you PAY to watch Livestreams for the games.

What a joke,it is now just a money making venture.

Very poor from BA.

Topic #51415 | Report this topic

Flinders 87  
Last year

I have been able to track the fixtures/results/ladders on Gameday here. Seems there may be some broken links to make it easy to get to, but definitely not paid

https://websites.mygameday.app/comp_info.cgi?client=0-4101-0-629718-0&pool=1&action=ROUND&round=0

Reply #926433 | Report this post

+  
Last year

appears there are no live stats

Reply #926434 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

No surprises, best prospects doing well on day one.

Reply #926435 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

+, Never has been stats at U14 Nationals

Reply #926436 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Couple of surprise results on Day 1 in the girls' competition.

Reply #926437 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

They do not do stats for U14's but the results were always put up except for this year so far.

Even Gameday does not work properly and when I clicked on it bought up the 2007 results.

Reply #926444 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

Copied Flinders gameday link and pasted it and it provided the results.

Reply #926446 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

Now they have added a results box to the main website.

Reply #926463 | Report this post

+  
Last year

Norwood and Forestville getting a mention on the Adelaide Now / Advertiser website - power clubs !

Reply #926491 | Report this post

Pud  
Last year

Could be the worst website for a National tournament in history. No results in games till late that night. No live stats. No ladder till next day! Embarrassing for BA.

Reply #926494 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

They didn't even complete the program which has now been deleted. These people get paid lots of money to do nothing.

Reply #926496 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Why do people complain about live stats when there has never been an U14 nationals with stats?

Reply #926500 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Results still not updated on the Game Day website despite the last games having finished hours ago.

Was so hard to find fixtures and results online up until today in the first place.

At least there is some social media coverage this year. Last year there was barely a mention the entire event!

Reply #926513 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Girls Top 12

Pool AA
Kilsyth
Nunawading
Sandringham

Pool BB
Illawarra
Sturt
Joondalup

Pool CC
Diamond Valley
Northside
Logan

Pool DD
Cairns
Norwood
Willetton

Boys

Pool AA
Dandenong
Casey
South Adelaide

Pool BB
Eltham
Central Coast
Forestville

Pool CC
Nunawading
Hills
Ipswich

Pool DD
Keilor
Logan
Norwood

Reply #926519 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Girls Top 12

Pool AA
Kilsyth
Nunawading
Sandringham

Pool BB
Illawarra
Sturt
Joondalup

Pool CC
Diamond Valley
Northside
Logan

Pool DD
Cairns
Norwood
Willetton

Boys

Pool AA
Dandenong
Casey
South Adelaide

Pool BB
Eltham
Central Coast
Forestville

Pool CC
Nunawading
Hills
Ipswich

Pool DD
Keilor
Logan
Norwood

Reply #926520 | Report this post

By the sea  
Last year

Kilsyth and Diamond Valley looking the good to medal in the girls.
Kilsyth pumped Nunawading and Nunawading lucky to get the win over Sandringham by 2 points with Sandy winning most of the game.
Unlucky for 3 good VIC teams to be in same pool.

Reply #926543 | Report this post

Pud  
Last year

I believe Sabres girls had 5 bottom age in their team. Promising future.

Reply #926546 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Have to say being from SA - well done to the 5 SA teams on making the Championship round.

Forestville in the boys are looking half decent. Norwood looking the strongest SA team in the girls. Some big games still with lots of twists to come though. I've enjoyed the stream and the access it gives you to every game.

Reply #926548 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Has been some good games so far and expect some crackers over the next 3 days

Reply #926572 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Nunawading boys are out of the top 8.

Reply #926574 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

2010 group... Some good players in both boys and girls but not as much talent as previous years.
If you are an AUS selector, you probably want some players to switch allegiance.
Toeleui would be a great poach.
Tupaea who is performing well now a kiwi?

Been impressed with Dombroski and Bonham early on this tournament.
Think a few smokies are around if they were on better teams.

Reply #926576 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

There is definitely a very small bunch of top kids and a large space to the next lot and so on. Both boys and girls.

Dandy boys and Kilsyth girls are elite and should win with depth. Logan boys and Illawarra girls next in line.

Reply #926577 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Girls is definitely Kilsyth ---- daylight ---- Illawarra look like the best of the rest.

Hawks are a very well drilled team with Bonham the standout. Can they cause an upset and prevent Kilsyth from logging a perfect undefeated year?

Cairns have been a massive surprise packet. They have done well to make the Top 4.

Toeleiu wants to play for AUS and I believe she still can if selected.

Dandenong is firmly favourites.

Reply #926645 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Toeleiu has already played for Samoa in u15 oceanias, would have some papers to sign and descisions to make as you can't switch back.

Girls Team of tourney so far imo
-
Jones / Luki / Curtis
Davey / Daley / Bristow
Bonham / Toelieu
Jarvis / Springett
Clague / Gribben

Reply #926650 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Can't really disagree too much with that selection.

Starting 5 so far:

Jones
Daly
Bonham
Jarvis
Clague

Want to see a Kilsyth v Illawarra final. Really want to see someone give Kilsyth a good game; they've been in 3rd gear so far.

Reply #926663 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Very happy to see Forestville boys in the 1/2 finals. Great opportunity for them to reach the final by avoiding Dandy in the semis.

Reply #926664 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

FIBA eligibility:

A player who has competed in an official FIBA competition after reaching age 17 is tied to that country. Those who played for one country before turning 17 may play for a different country if both countries' federations agree, with the FIBA Secretary General deciding if the federations do not agree.

I doubt Samoa would hold anyone back if they were good enough to play for a country like Australia.

Reply #926665 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

The 2010s are unlikely to play for next sapphires or crocs so next opportunity is gems/emus u17 2027 oceania, u18 2028 asia, u19 2029 WC which makes the switch of allegiance the last one.

Reply #926666 | Report this post

By the sea  
Last year

Are Cairns a club team or a composite team selected from club teams?

Reply #926667 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Club team.

Reply #926669 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

I'd say a couple might be pushing for a spot in 15U Oceania. I guess we will see after the next AJC.

Reply #926670 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

The weak position in 09/10 sapphires is the point, I'm not sure many 2010s fit elsewhere.
Jones the top pg in 2010.

Toeleiu or Bonham, maybe 1 of..
Daly was a possible for me but cannot play D just yet. I got her missin out.
Clague because of her height maybe a chance as a backup but not ready Imo.

Reply #926671 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Based on this week you'd say Bonham as seems to rebound and score consistently. Jones is good. Maybe Clague as not much height in the age group.

Boys wise you take the central coast kid purely on height. Still think he has some growing to do. Also the Logan kid is impressive.

Reply #926672 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Yeah so too the centre for north west Tassie.

Reply #926673 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Now you've seen the recent 16 nationals and current 14s Weedy, has your 15Aus team squad changed much ?
What’s your current list 2009/10

Reply #926674 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

@weedy. Yes i like that NW Tassie kid!

Reply #926675 | Report this post

Manders  
Last year

My gosh. Outrageous for adults to be discussing openly on a public forum the performance, height, prospects, nationality of ... 12 / 13 yo kids.

Reply #926676 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Then

'09/10
MFakalata PG
PG, CG or SG...
DHocking CG
JJones CG
ISmith SG
OOlechnowicz G/F
G/F or SF...
MRyan CF
CF or PF…
CBarbakas PF
C…
VJohnson C

The other open guard spot is a difficult choice.
I could list 10-15 possibles.
Hardin, Elliot, Robinson, Thorburn played pretty well at these ajcs
09 Ljubicic from vic playing very well atm in vjbl. One to keep an eye on.
Scarafilo high ceiling, another 09.
Bonham a 10 from nsw c 2 standout 10 tasmanians.

G/F or SF, look out for TiePuoch, just starting to resemble Nyadiew.
Daly also looking promising as best in sa 2010.
Toeleiu very good but already plays for Samoa.

CF or PF, 3-5 possibles, would have to watch develop for another year.
Ilic the only one to get an early run at ajc. Quite a few in the 6'1 height range around.

C, 3-5 possibles, same as above. Get a better idea next u16ajc.
5 I've seen from 5 different states, 1 I’m not certain is 08 or 09 yet, has no history beyond 1.5 years of basketball.’

Now

Hocking PG
Jones PG
Olechnowicz CG
Ljubicic SG
Smith SG
2 or 3 of Toeleiu or Bonham or Scarafilo or Puoch SF
Ryan PF / SF
PF
Barbakas PF / C
C
Johnson C

With Olechnowicz handling the ball alot more in competition, that may solve some problems. Pushes Fakalata, Elliot, Hardin, robinson etc out.
Still have to see 09/10 vs each other next year for the big spots.

Reply #926677 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Thanks weedy, appreciate your educated intel.

Reply #926686 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

I reckon that actual team will be quite different to that one.

10 months of further development is significant.

The 16s AJC will be decisive.

Reply #926741 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

More than likely will be different, just my personal choice.

Reply #926746 | Report this post

Zoescar  
Last year

Agree Bonham is great prospect. Was likely the best player in NSW last year as bottom age in u14s in NSW. Re Clague, her team is missing another tall prospect at these champs due to injury. Slightly shorter but maybe more athletic. Will be interesting to see how both progress. Kilsyth vs Illawarra will be good final.

Reply #926749 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

At least no one is talking about the Shield end of these Nationals as I believe it is a joke where teams 13,14 and 15 get medals for finishing in those positions and teams 4 to 12 get nothing.

Why have this Shield playoff at all.

You finished 13th at the Nationals so why should you get a trophy.

Reply #926750 | Report this post

+  
Last year

retired - it probably provides some meaning to playing out the tournament for the teams that lose early. Otherwise once they get ko'd they probably should leave - but then you get teams that plan and pay for a week's trip (a few grand) - lose their first game or two - if they were knocked out and had to leave they have invested all this time and money - so stay and keep playing for the shield final.

Reply #926753 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

You could make the same argument about having lower divisions for rep generally.

Reply #926758 | Report this post

Clark  
Last year

U14 nationals are an awesome tournament, initially I was sceptical about the Shield part, but have seen how invaluable this is now for Club teams. Only opportunity for a Club nationals, and gives some kids the only opportunity to play at this level

So in saying that, I'd prob take it 1 step further, and this would be my proposal

I dislike the 6 groups of 4 part that then splits into groups of 3, u finish 3rd in that group and you play 1 less game than other teams, you should be maximising play, so here goes

4 pools of 6 (more initial pool games)
Top 2 in each group goes thru to 1/4 finals of Championship, playing for 1-8

3rd and 4th go thru to 1/4 finals of Shield, so playing off for 9-16

5th and 6th go thru to 1/4 finals of Plate, playing off for 17-24

Gives more opportunity for kids to see maybe their only "national" success in basketball, keeps the interest in the tournament longer and also gives more meaningful and knockout games for those talented kids who might come from weaker overall teams

Just a thought of mine that I’ve had for a long time regarding u14 nationals, from a coach who coached in u14 nationals when it was 20 and 24 teams

Reply #926789 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I like your thinking, Clark

Reply #926791 | Report this post

+  
Last year

I'm not against the "seeding" concept - i.e. lower seeds start playing first and if they win the higher seeds come in round by round. Higher seed has earned their spot. Lower seeds that lose play in the shield comp so they still get their week's worth.

i.e round one seeds 12-24, round 2 winners v seeds 6-12, round 3 winners v seeds 1-6. Losers still play for placings

Reply #926792 | Report this post

Clark  
Last year

The problem i see with that tho is that how do you accurately seed teams?

They don't all play each other throughout the year, and teams improve through the year etx

Plus 1 state might have a weak year, but be stronger the next year, so you couldn’t even fairly do a historical seeding

Case in point, back many years ago when I coached in a 20 team Nationals

I coached against a nsw country team at the Eltham/dandy tournament and beat them by about 20

At nationals theyd improved heaps and we only got them by 1 point in the old 2nd group phase where you took results thru

How would you have seeded them for nationals? Historical nsw country seed, what they were at Eltham/dandy tournament or something else? That makes it tough

Reply #926794 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Good start for the hawks vs the cobras.

Reply #926819 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Well done to Illawarra. Tight game.

Reply #926822 | Report this post

TRFC  
Last year

A great game between Illawarra and Kilsyth. Talented kids and a credit to both head coaches.

Reply #926826 | Report this post

+  
Last year

A national body seeds them - can be a strength of schedule, classics, local state champs. season results. Look at their body of work for the overall seeding.

Reply #926828 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Well done Illawarra. Heard they played the game properly all week. Good supporters. No ego. Kilsyth. A lesson in humility should not be missed.

Reply #926830 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

can be a strength of schedule, classics, local state champs. season results.
None of those metrics mean anything when the teams involved don't play against each other or have any mutual opponents.

Reply #926832 | Report this post

+  
Last year

is Illawara a composition team or a club ? i.e like Canberra ?

Reply #926833 | Report this post

+  
Last year

can be a strength of schedule, classics, local state champs. season results.

None of those metrics mean anything when the teams involved don't play against each other or have any mutual opponents.

They can still be seeded

Reply #926834 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Dandy thrash Forestville in the boys...

Reply #926842 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Illawarra is a city team made up of Wollongong kids.

Reply #926846 | Report this post

Clark  
Last year

Illawarra is just like a Bendigo or a Ballarat, a country town/city (whatever you want to call it) and just like any other junior association that picks rep teams from their local junior domestic

Illawarra has been, and continues to be a perennial nsw country powerhouse, and nsw powerhouse

Did the u14 girls come down for Classic?

My experience coaching against Illawarra is that their teams are usually always very well coached and improve throughout the year

Congrats to the u14 girls on winning National Clubs, an amazing achievement

Reply #926852 | Report this post

+  
Last year

any involvement of Hawks NBL with the Illawara junior program ?

Reply #926853 | Report this post

By the sea  
Last year

From memory Illawarra came third or fourth at Classic?

Reply #926855 | Report this post

Larry Legend  
Last year

Illawarra girls lost to Kilsyth by 40 at the National Classic. That's some turnaround, well done.

Reply #926878 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Looks like Bonham and curtis had a poor performance in that njc game, Jones with 28.
As you say, a good turnaround from them winning club champs.

Look forward to watching u16 09/10 ajcs next year

Reply #926880 | Report this post

Manders  
Last year

Humility is not a thing any longer. Unfortunately, for those involved, this is the zenith. Classic junior bball.

Reply #926933 | Report this post

Pants  
Last year

(Mod: Please see forum guidelines on naming U18 players in this way.)

Reply #932485 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754