Tomdelonge2
Last year

36ers @ Perth, Oct 6

How many points?

Topic #51453 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Last year

Well given the Sixers had a 15 point lead early in the first quarter against Brisbane and still managed to lose by 15 points, I think Perth could give us a 30 point head start and still run us down. Perth did just beat the Sixers at the Blitz by 32 points too.

Perth by 30

Reply #927304 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

First two games have shown Perth cant defend or rebound. If they are on an off night for Cotton / Webster etc... Adelaide could very well get the upset.

Rillie still a rookie coach.

Reply #927314 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

10 points, will know by mid first qtr if rebounding was discussed at cats training this week. If not could go either way unfortunately, though cats should belt them.

Reply #927315 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Cotton at home coming off a 7 point game

Watch out. 30+ points incoming and a big Perth win

Reply #927316 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

CJ wouldn't be dumb enough to put Cadee on him. Surely Dech and McCarron get the gig, but still

Reply #927317 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Sixers who significantly big man depth against Perth who have surplus of it now.

Could spell danger.

Reply #927318 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Perth will take their frustrations out on Adelaide. Double digits L for the Sixers.

Reply #927350 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

25pt Perth win would be about par.

Anything under 15 would be a great 36ers effort.

Reply #927357 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

You would think Perth after the disgraceful, pitiful second half last week against Phoenix will come out breathing fire

Reply #927364 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

If we get the best version of Perth, this will be a blood bath.

36ers are 0-2 against two oppositions that were far from their best. (Brisbane gifting us a qrt head start, Melbourne shooting 34% from the field).

Hopefully the 36ers can keep it competitive, but its hard to see Perth losing by less than 10pts.

Reply #927371 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Tough weekend for the Sixers having to play Sydney on the road this weekend too. Should be a 0-3 start, anything else would be overachieving.

Reply #927373 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Keanu to miss this game due to ankle injury

Reply #927378 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Bummer re Keanu hopefully a minor setback and not re-injuring something from last season. I'd like to see some offensive plays run for Doolittle this week I reckon he's got some tricks up his sleeve for sure

Reply #927379 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Perth's lack of rebounding could mean this becomes a shitfest from both sides.

Reply #927426 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

No Pinder? Who's rebounding for Perth? Notwithstanding a Cotton explosion, I think the Sixers could get this one. Humphries could dominate the paint and hopefully Kell will find a little more room to operate than he did v Melbourne.

Reply #927436 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Some incorrect assumptions being made about which Keanu is out injured.

Reply #927440 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Rillie in the press conference today only mentioned Zunic & T Webster as injuries maybe Pinder is cushty?

Reply #927441 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Some incorrect assumptions being made about which Keanu is out injured.

Reeves?

Reply #927443 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Oh I see Adelaide has a dev player with the same first name...

Reply #927444 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

John Rillie press conferences are always an adventure...

"What was the most disappointing aspect of Sunday's game against the Phoenix?"

"The first quarter"

... how...

Reply #927446 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

"We lost our rhythm in the third quarter because of foul trouble"

Maybe he's confused its a dance competition

Reply #927453 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Well, if he's been watching The Last Dance .... LOL

Reply #927463 | Report this post

Ostriker  
Last year

Humphries vs Webster grudge match

Reply #927499 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Why did Kell have to take his sweat shirt off.

Reply #927500 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

After having Hooley all last week and Lowery the game before we get the pallet cleanser with Damo and Gleeson.

Reply #927502 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

I think Kell's white sweat shirt was OK, it was the black sports tracker 'bra' between the sweat shirt and the jersey that was the problem

Reply #927503 | Report this post

JCK98  
Last year

Decals man.

Reply #927504 | Report this post

Groote  
Last year

Is CJ on borrowed time? Watching a team who don't have passion or fight and just seen to be going through the motions

Would love to hear thoughts of Sixers fans

Reply #927507 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Sixers are just bad, Wiley trying hard, not winning you games though. Good commentary at last, it's nice to hear talk on the game instead off there college days and crap on. Lebron can’t make this Sixers team winners. Cats looking so much better at both ends.

Reply #927508 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

It feels like Perth aren't even out of first gear - it’s just too easy for them at both ends.

Reply #927510 | Report this post

Dorito  
Last year

How many rounds will ownership give CJ without a win?

Reply #927511 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Oh boy CJ - I almost feel bad complaining about Rillie. Poor Sixers fans.

Reply #927512 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I have t

Reply #927513 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

its?

Reply #927514 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I have to agree, some of the subbing is ridiculous, Mccaron just doesn't look fit, it’s a training run for Perth.

Reply #927515 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Get Smith-Milner Off!

Reply #927516 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

A bit OT but anyone else like me truly believe that Perth & Melbourne can compete with any of the top teams in Europe. When you consider the budget differences it's truly a credit to the NBL.

Reply #927517 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Last year

Perth 0/13 from 3 and up by 16!

Reply #927518 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Last year

Would these 36ers starters beat the 1988 Geelong Supercats bench?

Reply #927519 | Report this post

Dorito  
Last year

We couldn't beat an egg atm

Reply #927520 | Report this post

JustWannaHoop  
Last year

I'm just waiting for 36er fans to do a Ken Hinkley rant on CJ. Rumor is a couple of 36ers boasting how good they were going to be and crush the competition. Maybe their egos are just too big for CJ to get them aligned. 31 points in a half.... That’s a joke!

Reply #927521 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Perth 0/13 from 3 and up by 16!

According to certain experts/articles of outerwear, the Wildcats have no chance of winning if they don't rectify that 3P%

Reply #927522 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Watched the JJs earlier and the gap between their offence and the Sixers is enormous. JJs have great spacing and the ball rarely sticks for more than a split second. Only exceptions are Doyle or Crawford, whose speed and ball-handling allow them to beat their man and create a threat.

Contrast that with McCarron, who dribbles the ball 30 times on offence and never gets close to beating his man! Cadee and Kell are the only guys on the Sixers who should dribble the ball more than 3 times.

At least CJ realises the team needs a point guard. Is management going to wake up and give him one, or are they going to sign a 3/4 who will stand around, unable to get the ball where he needs it, just like everyone else on the team?

Reply #927524 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Humphries is killing it, Sixers playing fantastic.

Reply #927527 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

21-9 third quarter to Sixers. Ummm, okay.

NBL - where random happens.

Reply #927528 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Sixers third quarter scoring could be higher than their first half.

Reply #927529 | Report this post

JCK98  
Last year

36ers getting ahead for a second there was so unexpected it broke the scoreboard graphic.

Reply #927530 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Good fightback in the third! Much better with the ball not sticking and players cutting. Question is, can they sustain it as soon as Kell and Cadee go to the bench?

Reply #927531 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Fair play to the 36s but Perth can't hit the side of a barn

Reply #927532 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Humphries was the key, can he and Wiley play the whole last quarter.

Reply #927533 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Amazing what a difference playing offence with some purpose will do! Wildcats look pretty average when you're not dribbling into turnovers and handing them fast break points all the time!

Reply #927534 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Gleeson earlier talking about how much more he still has to give coaching. Rillie better be scared.

Reply #927536 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

The difference right there: Dech bricks a wide open three. Either side of that, Cotton and Webster create for themselves and nail big threes.

Reply #927537 | Report this post

Groote  
Last year

I'm not a fan of the new courtside announcer. Seems to think screaming everything into the microphone works well. Not sure how many games I'll attend if MC Yellsalot is in charge

Reply #927538 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Humphries has shown that he's ready for boomers, to big for Pinder

Reply #927539 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Keep leaving him open please, 6ers
Cheers

Reply #927540 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Damn. That's some big hits for an 18yr old. He won't be here long.

Reply #927541 | Report this post

Just  
Last year

Doolittle living up to his name. Not really sure what he adds to the Cats?

Reply #927542 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Well played Cotton and Sarr didn't let him down. No way Humphries can guard that. CJ needs to find a different defensive plan to defend that better and keep Humphries on the floor.

Reply #927543 | Report this post

Just  
Last year

Sarr is amazing for an 18 year old. Not sure why he shoots the 3 at a better clip than he does free throws, though.

Reply #927544 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Perth fall over the line. If they shoot like that against any other team they'll get pants.
Got lucky it was 36rs tonight.

Reply #927546 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Worst Flowers showing so far, which is saying something (counting the Blitz). Bad shots in the 2nd and completely missing a wide open Humphries at the basket to chuck up a brick, 5 mins played, I don't see him sticking around long.

Reply #927547 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Sixers made a good game of it, Sarr and Cotton fantastic for cats. Humphries and Wiley very good for Sixers, they need help though, an elite defensive wing and rebounder.

Reply #927549 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Happy to see the Sixers playing with some heart. Management needs to get this team a talented point guard who can also close out games. What's Barry Brown Jr doing atm? If not him, then someone similar.

Reply #927550 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Brown Jr playing in Italy I believe

Reply #927551 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

It's been talked about a lot, but Adelaide have two gaping gaps in the line-up. A decent back-up centre and a high-level playmaking guard. Fill those two and they're right in the pack.

TSM just isn't the answer, but I think they need to back he, Galloway and Starling to give frontcourt depth, pray Humphries doesn't get injured and get a high-level guard.

It's the same as last year, when Randall was firing early they could beat anyone, but they never really replaced him with a playmaker. Now that was meant to be Franklin (as optimistic as that was) and they need to fill that gap.

Reply #927552 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"Management needs to get this team a talented point guard who can also close out games. What's Barry Brown Jr doing atm? If not him, then someone similar."

Yep. While Barry Brown definitely isn't a PG, he is the type of player this team needs to create something out of nothing!

Reply #927553 | Report this post

BigD  
Last year

Doolittle does a lot for Perth. He's as close to the perfect complimentary piece they can get.
He’s a sensational switch defender and makes great extra passes to the open shooters.

Yeah he couldn’t be more aggressive offensively at times, but even Gleeson noticed and spoke about how good he is for Perth.

Reply #927554 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Came here to drop a Doolittle pun and see Just has beaten me to it.

Reply #927555 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Yeah, Brown isn't a pure point guard, but he’s got handles, will beat his man, create shots and hit big buckets. He also plays good defence. So yes, I’d be happy with a combo guard too, so long as he can create offence and we don’t have to watch McCarron struggle to create offence anymore!

Reply #927556 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

The only thing worse then the Sixers offense in the first half was the officiating for the entire game. The worst I have seen in many years. The Dolittle massive moving screen to let Webster hit the 3 and some how Mccarron knocks the ball out was the icing on the cake.

Sixers needed to close out the last few minutes of the 3rd quarter well putting the pressure on Perth. Instead CJ decided to go with a random team bringing in Marshall (who continues his crap form to start the season), Starling (who had seen about 1 minute up to that point) and TSM (who was leading the team with the worst +/-).

Wileys defence is terrible. Twice on the perimeter he put no pressure on the ball allowing for easy passes Instead which ended up in scores. He also twice didn't put up a hand to 3 point shooters, both went in. 10 easy points given up. Closes out hard on Dolittle letting him drive past whilst not closing out on Cotton.Finally at least once a game he doesn't get back on transition defence.

Mccarron 35 minutes for 3 points. No other coach is giving him those minutes. The team is massively struggling on offense and CJ wants to play 4 vs 5 on offense for most of the game.

Reply #927557 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

AngusH he is a next star. He isn't going anywhere

Reply #927559 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

To be fair Sixersfan, I thought the reason CJ brought Starling in was because Usher had just torched every other defender we'd put on him. I thought Starling did well with those minutes and should get more.

Reply #927560 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Sure Beantown, I want Starling to have more minutes also but I don't think bringing him in cold as well as Marshall and TSM whom both had crap games up to that point, was a high percentage thing to do in an important time in the game. Bring Starling in by himself for defensive purposes is fine. Bring those other two in with him is just poor coaching IMO.

Reply #927562 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Reply #927563 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Scrappy win but yeh will take it. Sarr great, Usher effective despite foul trouble, Cotton ≥ Cotton. +1 For Doolittle's movement off the ball ok he didnt score much but he knows where to be and he will find his stroke it's early days.

Reply #927564 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

As much as a lot of people have been heaping on Rillie and CJ Bruton this past week, I thought both of their press conferences were really classy tonight.

And I really rate Doolitte; just feels like he doesn't even look at the rim unless the shot clock is expiring. That assertiveness will develop as the season goes along.

Greg Hire posted a tweet yesterday, gushing with praise for him at the Wildcats training, saying he was guarding 1-5 at a high level and scoring easily.

Reply #927565 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

How has Rillie not taken more heat in this thread. Why is Usher defending Cadee (poorly) and making Cotton defend Kell who is almost Ushers height? like that is a tactical decision. The amount of contact Cotton takes off ball is a joke, but have we set a screen to make his defender think twice about it? nope.

Run a play that has players actually move off ball, Usher cuts back door, gets a dunk from a dime from a teenager, like seriously!!!

I don't think Gleeson gets enough credit for how good a coach he was. Players jacking a 3 with all 4 on the perimeter never happen under Trev, always have an offence and structure that means there would be a rebounder. Seeing Tas dominate O boards vs Sydney just makes a cats fan crave having Trev back.

Frankly Scott Morrison was a far, far better coach than Rillie, maybe his problem was Matt Hodgson was his starting centre backed up by an ever more immobile Majok.

Reply #927566 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

I think Kell's white sweat shirt was OK, it was the black sports tracker 'bra' between the sweat shirt and the jersey that was the problem
Every player in the league has been wearing those in every game for years at this point, it definitely wasn't that.

Reply #927567 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Sixers weren't bad on d but they need a go to guy first of all.

Whether that’s a 3/4 or pg or a 2 guard they need a guy who can get a bucket.

Reply #927569 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

How has Rillie not taken more heat in this thread.

because CJ.

I'm hoping Rillie has a disaster season so we can get Gleeson back ASAP.

Reply #927574 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

How has Rillie not taken more heat in this thread.

Fair question. I'm giving him a few more games of playing around with things, but for sure there is a lot to dislike about what we are doing at both ends of the floor so far.
I get that you want to empower the players to "ball", but ideally there should be more to coaching than just calling the subs on game night.

Reply #927576 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

36ers look so much better with Humphries.

For the love of god, plz stay healthy! It's unfortunate they can’t be stupid and play him long minutes.

I’m fine with Wiley - the positivity and being active is something to be valued as is Cadee composure.

Is there a single import that can flip these issues on the head?

1. Rebounding
2. Defensive lapses - Perth missing just about every 3pt shot prior to the 4th Q probably masks how bad this can be.
3. A giant hole next to the basket defensively when Humphries is off
4. Offensive movement top of perimeter achieving nothing
5. Offensive tactic of driving into traffic followed by losing the ball or throw the ball away
6. Inability to shoot from the perimeter

Reply #927579 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

One thing I will give Bruton real credit for is the team is executing very well offensively out of time-outs. They get lost at times in the general flow of play, although the second half last night was a lot better in terms of consistent execution.

They only turned it over twice in a half and were the better side, they need a lot more of that, but their lack of depth makes it hard to have that consistency. Desperately need a superstar import for all the role players to slot around.

Reply #927580 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last year

Fantastic to have a genuine colour commentator in Gleeson.

Even though Humphries is our only player up to spec
And Wiley moans to the refs so much he misses most team huddles
And we only really played one half
We were still competitive ?

Clearly need a Robert Rose type of import if such a thing still exists out there somewhere

Reply #927583 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Robert Rose would be perfect. Get the time machine!

Reply #927589 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

"AngusH he is a next star. He isn't going anywhere"

I meant on his own accord, rather than being sacked by Adelaide.

Reply #927593 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Saar is better then 90 percent of the current imports in the league. What a luxury for the Cats

Reply #927595 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

The Sixers only look like a real team is when they start their offences through Humphries. Inside/outside

Reply #927596 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

They look good when they hit the roller and then move the ball from there, especially big-to-big passing with Wiley and Humphries. I reckon you could count the number of times they hit the roller in R1 on one hand

Reply #927597 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Talking about below average coaches - Jacob Jackomas' rotations are terrible.

Reply #927600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:28 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754