Q Anon
Last year

DJ to Adelaide, no not that one

Lots of confidence the Kings won't or can’t utilise their clause

DJ to Adelaide is very likely

Topic #51481 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Last year

Although I would prefer an import big, any port in a storm. A one year rental I wouldn't be too keen on but if Vasiljevic signs for a few years it would at least be somewhat of a coup and something positive for long suffering Sixers fans.

Something needs to be done 0-4 and playing with an import down since the Blitz is just unacceptable.

Reply #928088 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

It would surprise me greatly, but if it does happen they had better have the contract scrutinised for out clauses. He can take Mccaron money next season.

Reply #928089 | Report this post

Eagle  
Last year

If he signs for multi year and Isaac humphries stays healthy for next year we could shape up really nicely in terms of locals and having mccarron off the books next year would help too.

Reply #928090 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Gaze's view is that you get the star and then fit the rest around him. It sounds like he recommends Sixers taking DJ.

A bit of pro-Sydney bias, perhaps, but as others have said, getting his signature for say 3 years based on a small initial salary then greatly increasing in the following years (and clearing out some under-performing guards) might be a win-win for Sixers.

Reply #928096 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Can't the Kings just delist Bruce or Glover or another bench guy and make DJ a marquee to save on tax?

Reply #928099 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Would be better than a third import if get a multi year deal.

Don't think would put in 6 but at minimum should be more competitive.

This season
McCarron/Cadee
Vasiljevic/Dech
Kell/Marshall/Flowers
Wiley/Galloway/Starling
Humphries/Smith-Milner

Reply #928100 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Last year

eh don't see this moving the needle. Maybe the fact i have gone to one home game and our season is on the edge already. Ok signing if multi year but if its just this year, i don't see the point.

Reply #928111 | Report this post

Observer  
Last year

Prefer import big,humpries bound to be injured ,then we will be in big strife.We have enough guards,Love to have DJ but worry signing might take long like it did with Clark.
If we don't have a stud by next weekend double home game,we won’t make finals .
Look at NZ got an import in 3 days now 3 weeks and nothing is happening.Whose making decisions here Coach or Owner,I think the latter.

Reply #928116 | Report this post

Dorito  
Last year

Could we still get an import big on-top of getting DJ?

Reply #928120 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Last year

This guy wasn't great last season. He isn’t the answer. But Adelaide are so pathetically sad a club, they have to take what they can get.

Reply #928139 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

And over pay for a multi year deal then start moaning about not living up to money. Bit like MM all over again.

Reply #928140 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I've always put DJV in a "future Boomer/replace Gouldings 2019/21" role.

If they can lock him up reasonably, that would be fantastic but I feel like they’d contract him with a euro out and then he’s off in Europe next year or something. If he finishes this season with 36ers and then heads back to the Kings, I’d also be annoyed.

So I agree in that you’d want an NBA or 36ers 3 year deal on the table.

Otherwise, even if he came inexpensively just for this season, it’s the right kind of piece for *this* season if it means no third import.

So let’s say they do sign him. When does he start? I’m looking at Hawks tonight and next week 2 home games v SEM and v Perth.

If 36ers can beat the Hawks and win one of those next week to be 2-5, are we in too big of a hole or could we make a run for that 6th spot perhaps?

If Adelaide are 1-6 or 0-7 by the time the next piece arrives, whomever it is, I’d imagine 6th spot is probably out of reach, unless it’s someone Cotton like that can inspire a huge swing and run of wins in a row.

Reply #928148 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

"it's *not* the right kind of piece for *this* season"

I missed the important word *not* in that sentence sorry

Reply #928149 | Report this post

Spinner  
Last year

We are talking about DJV now and apparently he trained with the Sixers during the week?

Reply #928179 | Report this post

Observer  
Last year

Which DJ trained with Sixers be more specific...

Reply #928212 | Report this post

Spinner  
Last year

Sorry...……I thought the DJV was specific enough! Dejan Vasiljevic

Reply #928250 | Report this post

Dorito  
Last year

Looks like it's a done deal according to Olgun.. could the Sixers potential pick up Tyler Cook Aswell? He's said he's open to staying in the NBL as he's enjoyed his time here?

Reply #928465 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

DJ gotta do a quick clean up of his Twitter if the deal with the 36ers is officially going through.

Reply #928468 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Ugh. Hate to see it as a Sydney fan, but glad we weren't dicks about it with the first refusal rights. Good spot for him to show what he can do as a featured scorer.

Reply #928469 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

But the Sixers can't get anyone to come here due to what happened to MiTcH CrEeK!!! Just ask Zodiac

Reply #928472 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Will having a spot-up shooter finally turn MM into a PG, or will DJV have to do it all himself?

Reply #928474 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

He obviously doesn't have many options Sixersfan

Reply #928477 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"Hate to see it as a Sydney fan, but glad we weren't dicks about it with the first refusal rights."

Who would the Kings have gotten rid of to bring Vasiljevic in? That's the call they would have to make to stop him going to Adelaide.

Reply #928482 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

"Vasiljevic subsequently signed an Exhibit 10 contract with the Washington Wizards, before being waived prior to NBA training camp; there was a clear expectation he would spend this season with their G-League affiliate the Capital City Go-Go.

Last week, the Sydney Kings were surprised to receive a request from Vasiljevic's management to return to the NBL.

The Sydney Kings undertook a review process into whether to exercise the right of first refusal - and have chosen not to exercise this right, and allow for Vasiljevic’s release.

"While DJ played a role in the club’s recent success, it became clear that to make such a significant change to our roster by having him return at the expense of one of our current rostered players was not in our best interests," said CEO Chris Pongrass, who is confident in the club's decision.

"We have the utmost confidence in the team we have built and the success we will have with our contracted players.

“We are disappointed with how this has been handled and another NBL team’s role in this process.

"We originally amended the contract in good faith and completed our roster with the understanding that DJ would play internationally this season.

"While there is no perfect system, this circumstance highlights the inequity NBL clubs have in terms of protecting their interests as opposed to other leagues in the world."

So what were Sydney expecting DJ to do if the G-League team didn't want him? Just sit out the year?

Reply #928484 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Sydney having a sook again. It worked exactly the way it was supposed to and they decided they didn't want to take the steps needed to have him back.

Reply #928485 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Last year

He could have stayed and played for the G league team for peanuts. And now imagine the Kings complain about "another NBL team's role in this process" - wow. The 36ers probably offered him an attractive package and he'd be silly to ignore it. Sounds like something the Kings would do :)

AngusH - the Kings had no mechanism to drag this forever and while they may not like it, this is really good for the league.

Reply #928486 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Contracts should be honoured, kings altered his contract to allow him go OS, so yes the kings could have said no to the return to nbl. There is a multitude of clubs in Europe or yes he should have stayed in the g league. Sixers must be offering a big coin, I'm waiting to see how this plays out. Good player though , let’s see how long he’s a sixer.

Reply #928488 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I wonder if it's just until end of season and then he goes to Kings/Euro/NBA next season?

Reply #928491 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"Contracts should be honoured, kings altered his contract to allow him go OS, so yes the kings could have said no to the return to nbl."

No, the Kings could have added him back to their roster, but once they decided not to they couldn't stop him signing elsewhere.

Reply #928492 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

"Contracts should be honoured, kings altered his contract to allow him go OS, so yes the kings could have said no to the return to nbl."

This was my understanding as well - could be wrong. I don't love it as a Kings/DJ fan, but happy to have him back in the NBL anyway. He should get an opportunity to handle the ball a lot more in the half court which I think he's well suited for, just wasn't needed with the PGs Sydney had

Reply #928494 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

So do you think sacking a player four rounds into the season to bring in DJ is the right thing to do, Sydney is a very well run club, agreed to let DJV go OS because that was his wishes even though he was under contract. He now decides to play nbl, if I was running the kings he'd be playing OS as his wishes.

Reply #928495 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

This is just such a horrific signing for the sixers I can barely believe it's true. They need a multi dimensional creater, not a one dimensional inconsistent shooter

Reply #928496 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

"So do you think sacking a player four rounds into the season to bring in DJ is the right thing to do,"

Def not.

Reply #928497 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last year

Relax everyone, CJ just taught DJ his old trick to move NBL clubs, he often moved to another NBL club after 'going to Europe'

In fairness to DJ he actually did go to the USA sign a deal, tried to make the roster, was released with the option of playing G League, which is something he obviously wasnt keen to do, which I think is fair enough,

He didnt leave the Kings just to join Adelaide with a made up story, he intended to play over seas and it just didnt work out the way he wanted so he came back to Australia, which he has the right to do.

This was essentially a restricted free agency, the kings had first right of refusal, meaning they had to either sign him for a deal as good as or better to Adelaide offered him or release him. They chose not to disrupt their season which was probably the smart thing to do, so had to release him. They dont have the right beyond that to stop him playing NBL, hence why he is now allowed to sign with Adelaide.

There was no grand conspiracy theory to screw over the kings and join Adelaide at the end of last season, I'm sure Adelaide were not on his radar when he asked for the release.

From the 36ers point of view, given they have not done well with picking new imports to the NBL, DJ is the safer bet and will only help the team, even though he isnt exactly what the team said he wanted initially.

Reply #928498 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Kolzee I will take an "inconsistent" shooter that averages career shooting percentages of the following

43% FG, 86% FT, 38% 3PT

Reply #928499 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Great player but the 36ers just signed the wrong type to fill either critical problem and without it being a long term contract for the benefit of next season.

Just lovely.

Reply #928500 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"He now decides to play nbl, if I was running the kings he'd be playing OS as his wishes."

No he wouldn't, because you wouldn't have the power to stop him. Your choices are sign him or not, nothing else. If you choose not, he can play where he wants.

Reply #928502 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Last year

Spot on Jonno

Reply #928507 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

He was under contract to the kings, they released him to allow to go OS, but no sign elsewhere in nbl, as I said he could have gone to numerous clubs in Europe.

Lol at a one year contract, absolute farce.

Reply #928510 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Sixersfan - you had a player last year with 47.8% FG, 40% 3PT. His name was Craig Randall. Would you take him again?

And if you look at DJ his FG% ranges from 14% last season. Nearly 25% of his games played last season he shot below 30%. I'd call that inconsistent. You can have him and good luck if you think he's gonna solve the sixers problems

Reply #928512 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Relax everyone, CJ just taught DJ his old trick to move NBL clubs, he often moved to another NBL club after 'going to Europe'

I remember that, very nice pick up Jonno. CJ used his Euro out clause to opt out of his Kings deal and then turned around and signed with the Bullets. I remember how livid Kings fans were with CJ at the time and understandably so.

This is a bit different at least DJV did sign with the Wizards, he just wasn't interested in honouring the G-League part of that agreement.

Kings have got a right to be miffed with DJV they released him from the last 2 years of his deal so he could sign with the Wizards not so he could then turn around and sign with another NBL team. But they had the option of re-signing him first and chose to continue with Toohey as their starting SG. All done and dusted don't then put out a snarky press release because you prioritised the other guy.

Reply #928514 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

They must be confident being snarky won't affect their chances of signing DJV next season if they want him or the future.

Reply #928519 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I think that press release basically confirms DJV won't be going back to the Kings anytime soon.

Reply #928521 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Haha, I remember when CJ was moving from Brisbane to go overseas, got his release and ended up a Breaker.

The bizarre thing was his player profile was temporarily uploaded to the CSKA Moscow website. Not sure if that was part of the decoy because it has never been explained or mentioned as falling through.

Reply #928531 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I remember when CJ was moving from Brisbane to go overseas, got his release and ended up a Breaker.

Hmm or that may have been the meme at the time of leaving Brisbane for NZ ("CJ finally made it overseas") referring back to his previous move from the Kings to Bullets.

The CSKA aspect of it remains a mystery.

Reply #928532 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

I vaguely recall there was some legitimacy to the Euro claim. Was it a war or something similar that stopped him singing in Russia? There was the Russia Georgia issue around the same time.

Reply #928542 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

That would make sense.

Reply #928553 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"He was under contract to the kings, they released him to allow to go OS, but no sign elsewhere in nbl."

No, the Kings retained his NBL rights for when he returned, but once they chose not to re-sign him when available he became an NBL free agent.

Reply #928564 | Report this post

The Big Duke  
Last year

Don't love this signing, Dj struggles against the athletic wing defenders at NBL level, not surprised his NBA stint was short lived he is much better suited to the Euro game. At Sydney he was only really exposed to these matchups a few times with Walton and Adams often taking the brunt of the heat.

He definitely brings elite three point shooting along with some volume scoring to the table. Will be interested in how many quality three point shots CJ can create for him. Without a solid import big don't think this signing will bring the 36ers to the top 6.

Reply #928565 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

If CJ couldn't utilise Ian Clark not sure he will work out how to use Dejean.

Reply #928566 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Clark just stopped hitting good looks for a patch there. He hit 9/15 from 3 in his first 3 games and Adelaide were 2-1, with the loss right at the death in Cairns.

His next 4 games he went 2/20 and the 36ers were 0-4, then the final 3 he hit 5/10 and Adelaide were 2-1 with a close loss to Melbourne.

Reply #928567 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

'But they had the option of re-signing him first and chose to continue with Toohey as their starting SG. All done and dusted don't then put out a snarky press release because you prioritised the other guy."

But they didn't really. Only option they had was to release a rostered player and personally I'm glad they didn't do that, as much as I like DJ - it's a shitty move.

Reply #928568 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I didn't mean cut Toohey but move him out of the starting SG spot. If the Kings preferred not to remove scrubs like Maluach or Timmins from the roster to accommodate the addition of DJV (and let's not pretend the finances were an issue), then that's on them.

Reply #928570 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

I'm sure finances were at least part of the issue. IMO Kings have a right to "feel" aggrieved by it, but I would have preferred they made no comment about it at all. The comment they did make though felt more like "fan service" than anything else as Kings fans are definitely miffed by it in general based on what I'm constantly seeing on my socials. Cutting full roster guys to bring in a (significantly) better player though is a dick move IMO, I don't support it even if it's someone like DJ at the expense of a guy who rarely plays.

Reply #928572 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Cutting full roster guys to bring in a (significantly) better player though is a dick move IMO, I don't support it even if it's someone like DJ at the expense of a guy who rarely plays.

Were you and other Kings fans complaining when you guys signed Xavier Cooks midway through the 2019-20 season and waived Kuany Kuany to facilitate it? I bet not.

The Sydney Kings are 10-1 and didn't need to make a blockbuster signing. They did anyway, adding an Australian Boomers wing to an already-stacked group.

On Wednesday afternoon (AEDT), the Kings announced the signing of Xavier Cooks, one of Australia’s most talented up-and-coming wings, on a multi-year deal.

Cooks’ contract is for two years, sources told foxsports.com.au, and contains an NBA out clause.

In order to make room for Cooks, the Kings waived Kuany Kuany.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/aussie-boomers-wing-xavier-cooks-signs-with-sydney-kings/news-story/ea4ba7179a6108615fd1ceed498a2679

It's just the usual hypocritical BS from the Kings.

Reply #928573 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Confirmation DJV isn't happy with the Kings:

In a statement released by the club, Kings CEO Chris Pongrass stated the club was "disappointed with how this has been handled and another NBL team's role in the process".

“They made me look like the villain, they made Adelaide look like the villain, honestly I’m trying to be the bigger man and walk away from it,” Vasiljevic said of his former club.

“There’s more to it than people think and I’m going to leave it at that.

“I don’t think we play them until January, so I’m not actually worried about that right now. I’m worried about South East and Perth coming into Adelaide. The guys had a good win against Illawarra and we just have to keep rolling with that momentum.”

https://nbl.com.au/news/vasiljevic-slams-sydney-villain-treatment

Reply #928575 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

No different to Tai Webster with Perth last season

Reply #928579 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

I just don't think there is any point being moralistic about it. Adelaide have the right to be creative, DJ has the right to be interested, and Sydney have the right to feel annoyed.

The one thing you can guarantee though is that Sydney and Adelaide would completely swap positions if it was the other way round, and so would the fans. And it would be the same with any club.

Well done Adelaide. It's interesting the way Adelaide seem to find the money sometimes that didn't previously exist or were not willing to use. DJ will obviously offer something, but my concern is how he goes playing in a system that can make anyone look bad. If they can find a way to include another import, then this team can no longer claim to not have enough talent to contend.

Reply #928581 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

"Were you and other Kings fans complaining when you guys signed Xavier Cooks midway through the 2019-20 season and waived Kuany Kuany to facilitate it? I bet not."

You'd bet wrong. I don't like it even when we do it, believe it or not. Not saying we hand back the tro

Reply #928583 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Trophies though. ;p

Reply #928584 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

No of course not no one is dying in a ditch over Kuany Kuany or Keanu Rasmussen but the Kings should've remembered that before drafting up their snarky press release. The good thing is it appears they've damaged their relationship with DJV irrevocably too.

Reply #928585 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Last year

Interestingly DJ revealed what triggered his decision - the Wizards apparently waived him despite telling him he would be in the selection camp. So they broke the deal and then they were disappointed when he walked away altogether as Olgun reported.

What's clear is that there are definitely two sides in the story which is not fully presented by the Kings or Olgun.

Reply #928586 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Whether DJV succeeds at Sixers will depend on the other players.

If they get him good looks, then he will be a factor. If they continue the way they have to date - excluding the Flowers cameo last game when they went out of their way to give him the ball - then poor DJV is going to get frustrated. As was said previously, if they didn't go out of their way to get Clark and other shooters good looks, then why should we expect different now, especially if some of the biggest ball-hogs are going to lose their playing time to DJV.

Notice that I never mentioned the coaching up to now. IMHO the coaching has generally been of little positive influence but has often been of negative influence. Again, if the coaching has had all these opportunities before now ... nuff said.

Reply #928587 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I'm not a kings supporter, I’m a basketball supporter, and yes when kauny got cut it was wrong imo. United cut Dan Trist some few games before finals in a good position to go on with it, brought in venki jois, they hardly looked the same side again. I’m from the age bracket of your word and loyalty mean something.

Reply #928590 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:13 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754