Username
Last year

Brock Motum

Is Brock Motum a douche or something? Why has he completely disappeared off the Australian basketball radar?

Topic #51532 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Last year

He can earn more money overseas, currently playing in Japan.

Reply #929479 | Report this post

Username  
Last year

Yeh I get that. But no one talks about local clubs even thinking about him. Or the Boomers. Just seems odd.

Reply #929484 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

He's old, plus he’s made a lot money.

Reply #929487 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

He's not old he only just turned 33 a couple of weeks ago so could play another 3-4 years yet. Who knows maybe NBL teams have been chasing him and just we don't know about it? I suspect he will probably come back to the NBL to finish up in a few years time.

Reply #929493 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

His name has been brought up privately by clubs in the past. Brisbane (home town) were one who've kicked the tyres but couldn’t get anywhere close to what he was fairly asking.

As stated, what he earns overseas significantly pisses on what he could earn here. Plus he has said in an interview many years ago that he genuinely enjoys playing overseas.

Reply #929500 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Because a guy doesn't play in Australia he is a douche? That quite the leap on a person's character.

Brock earns significantly more internationally than what he would and has done in Australia.
He has a European wife and enjoys making the most of his pro life by taking in as many experiences as he can. More power to him.

Reply #929501 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Agree, QA.

I'm sure David Andersen and the many others who have represented Australia in the NBA and Euro leagues would be pretty insulted.

Reply #929502 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Why are you both intentionally misreading the OP?

Clearly the OP isn't stating anything about Motum.

The assumption I guess is he gets paid better elsewhere and too old to bother playing for Australia Boomers anymore.

Reply #929503 | Report this post

Motum is making more money in Japan. He is currently injured in his left foot and will not be able to play for three weeks.
Currently, Motum's speed has slowed down significantly compared to the season he played in Europe. His scoring ability isn't a problem in the Japanese league, but he can't defend.
In this World Cup, Kay and Reath did not help the team in defense. Kay and Reath are younger than Motum, have better defense skills, and can do what Motum can do on offense.
Unfortunately, there is no chance of Motum being selected for the Boomers.

Reply #929504 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

How am I intentionally misreading "Is Brock Motum a douche or something?"

The implication of the question is that he must be a douche if he isn't in Australia or playing for Australia

He left the Boomers Las Vegas camp early as he knew he wasn't going to get selected ever again. If you aren't sucking up to the boomers power brokers you aren't in the team.

Reply #929505 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Probably like many before him, he'll finish his career in NBL once he has kids or wants to set up a post-bball life

Reply #929506 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Because a guy doesn't play in Australia he is a douche? That quite the leap on a person's character.

The comment was indeed bizarre.

Reply #929508 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

"The implication of the question is that he must be a douche if he isn't in Australia or playing for Australia"

That's a weird take, if OP was stating (implying) the answer to their own question, then OP wouldn’t have needed to make the post in the first place.

I just read it as a less tactful “why did Motum disappear, did he alienate himself from Australian basketball?”

OP just wants to know the sitch, that’s all.

If OP said:
“Is Brock Motum injured or something?” Etc.

People wouldn’t take it to imply that OP is saying Motum is injured. They’d take it as wondering what happened to Motum.

People (I hope) wouldn’t get arched up saying “just because he’s overseas doesn’t mean he’s injured, why would you imply he’s injured?”.

Lots of overthinking because someone was a bit slapdash and casual in the way they asked a question.

Reply #929509 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

The OP's poor choice of wording is on him not us.

Reply #929510 | Report this post

Username  
Last year

Yeh I certainly wasn't meaning to suggest Motum IS a douche, I was playing slightly there. The reason I said that is I don't get why no one ever talks about him. Why he hasn't been mentioned at all in the Boomers conversation for a long time, and why he doesn't come up at all in hypothetic wish lists for NBL clubs etc. "Is he a douche" meaning I don't get it, it is because of his character or something I don't know about him.

Apologies to him or anyone around him if they thought I was calling him a douche.

Reply #929511 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

He's definitely a douche ;-)

Reply #929513 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Bit of an overreaction to a throwaway comment here.

As for Motum's standing with BA, I think he's just an awkward fit with what the team is trying to do. Definitely has had the talent to make it but clearly they prize defense over offense and he's lacking in the kind of size and athleticism that makes him useful in what they're trying to run. He probably just no longer puts his hand up and or gets called up given the other options at his position. But personally I've always thought he could have made the the 19 and 21 teams. But Goorj has different priorities.

Getting a bit on in age, making more money overseas than can here. Probably eventually comes back but only when the money dries up. Can you really blame him?

Reply #929530 | Report this post

Username  
Last year

Is he though ME/Kangaroo? He's 6'10, legitimate outside threat. Can put the ball on the floor. Its been a while now but I don't remember him being a bad rebounder or poor defender. Was he? Even in the pregames warms ups and comps where the NBA Boomers don't appear, guys like Kay and Vague would make an appearance. But not only does Motum not appear, he's not even in the discussion. Not even his absence which I find bizarre.

And people saying he's old. He's 33. Younger than Ingles and Mills.

Reply #929534 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Motum is a great guy.

He is shooting the three-ball better than ever. Defense has never been his strong suit, but he is a solid rebounder.

Motum also has a young family, while living and playing for great coin in Japan (and previously in Europe).

Reply #929535 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Maybe he doesn't put his hand up for the FIBA qualifiers in-season? There is a lot of duplication of skill set with Kay already there. When he played for the 36ers about 10 years ago I remember him being a slightly better version of DJ.

Motum used to put his hand up for the Boomers earlier in his career when he was trying to crack the NBA but would inevitably get cut during camps and I do remember hearing something about him getting jack of that so maybe that's why he doesn't bother anymore?

Reply #929536 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I forgot Motum played for the Boomers at the 2014 WC.

Reply #929538 | Report this post

Username  
Last year

When he was in the Boomers squad he was a lock until he wasn't. I think at least on the offensive end of the floor he offers a more than Nick Kay does.

Reply #929539 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Yeh I certainly wasn't meaning to suggest Motum IS a douche, I was playing slightly there. The reason I said that is I don't get why no one ever talks about him. Why he hasn't been mentioned at all in the Boomers conversation for a long time, and why he doesn't come up at all in hypothetic wish lists for NBL clubs etc. "Is he a douche" meaning I don't get it, it is because of his character or something I don't know about him.

Apologies to him or anyone around him if they thought I was calling him a douche.

It makes sense now, thanks for clarifying.

Reply #929559 | Report this post

dddd  
Last year

Is he any good? Can the 6ers get him? Make it happen CJ!

(We'll even accept douchés).

Reply #929576 | Report this post

Kay plays in the Japanese Division I and Motum plays in the Japanese Division II.

Reply #929591 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:19 am, Sat 4 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754