Fri 6:30 Perth-Sydney

Sat 5:00 Bendigo-Townsville
Sat 7:30 Southside-Melbourne

Sun 5:30 Canberra-Adelaide

All times local.

Same broadcast arrangement as last season
- Wednesday night games & playoffs on ESPN
- Other games on 9Now

Comprehensive-is-an-understatement off-season update article at Milestones & Misses:
Link

Topic #51537 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Last year

My thumb hurts... comprehensive indeed.

Looks like everything will be boosted this year except the talent pool which has gone backwards.

Reply #929611 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

It's still at the point where I'm just relieved to have a team in the league each season.
Pretty sad how little revenue is able to be generated by the longest running women's national league. Wish the right person could get hold of it.

Reply #929623 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Collier is doing an ok job but kestleman would take it to a different level once the teams are aligned.
BA though do not want to give up the lions share because they would have little work to do and would have to cut the majority of the employees.

Supposed to be some big news coming 2024. Hopefully expansion (brisbane?) and Bendigo moving to Tassie would be good too.

Reply #929626 | Report this post

Bigboy  
Last year

Reply #929627 | Report this post

Bigboy  
Last year

'Supposed to be some big news coming 2024. Hopefully expansion (brisbane?) and Bendigo moving to Tassie would be good too.'

Don't think the supporters of Bendigo would be too thrilled about that, the team has a major backing now behind them in SEN, so don't think it'll be happening anytime soon.

The Spirit have been playing more games around Central Victoria, so I could see a rebranding of sorts (the new jersey's dont have Bendigo on them) where games are played in Bendigo/Ballarat/Mildura/Shepparton but I don't see that being logistical on any sort of 'home court' advantage.

Reply #929629 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

The club has had the lowest crowds, financial support for sometime. Nothing stopping them from moving location and Tassie would likely get 5-6 times the support in the 1st season.

Reply #929632 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Melbourne Boomers starting horrendously at the offensive end. Sarah Blicavs conditioning looks to be very poor at this early stage of the season.

Reply #929642 | Report this post

+  
Last year

Lightning looking a bit more organized. How far away is talbot from returning ?

Reply #929643 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Standard is poor. Umpiring to match. Awful.
Adel poor after 1/4 time

Reply #929645 | Report this post

+  
Last year

one thing that stumped me was with 2 mins to go Melbourne made a great lay up and the player fell near the basket support. Adelaide inbounded the ball from the end line and Melbourne player unintentionally stumbled and fell into the inbounders back (from behind) as she passed in from out of court. The pass went straight out of court as teh Adelaide inbounder was accidentally pushed off balance. Now surely that is a foul on the player that stumbled into the player throwing the ball in or a reset ? Crucial point in the game.

Reply #929646 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Talbot is out for sometime.
Wallace back in early December.

Reply #929647 | Report this post

Bluey  
Last year

I thought the exact same thing +, at the very least they needed to give Adelaide the ball back, very strange and costly for Adelaide.

Reply #929659 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last year

Haven't come across the M&M website before, thanks for the link. Really comprehensive, kudos to the authors.

Ready for the Lynx season opener, be interesting how Sydney line up too and how much George plays.

Reply #929712 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Maybe a little too much faith in Forster and Bradley, 2 unknowns at this level.

Reply #929717 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

how does Bradley start in the point over Pannoussis?

Reply #929719 | Report this post

Tired Weevil  
Last year

Bloody hell. Going to be listening to all games on mute again this season, with Montesano in commentary. Just, WHY.

Reply #929720 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Canberra...
Pizzey n Tugliach out for a bit.
Tupaea out for season.

Claudea waihape andrews a local now on the players list.

Reply #929721 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

what's wrong with Pizzey? Big out for them

Reply #929722 | Report this post

Tired Weevil  
Last year

Tupaea should really just retire...

Reply #929723 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I find it hard to believe Yaeger, Scanlon, Fejo, Mclean, Hollingsworth could not find end of the bench guard spots.

Reply #929725 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last year

Dominant from Perth, if all their starters fire theyll have 100 point games.

Sydney looked rusty indeed but still expect them to easily be a finals contender

Reply #929731 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Last year

Rusty is polite.... But if they can get George into what was working for them in the preseason, will be tough.

Reply #929733 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Last year

As for Weedy's comments about end of bench guard spots, reality is for some of those named the choice not to play is theirs. For some, the time commitment and minimal pay just isn’t sustainable and at some stage they have to choose career over sporting dreams.
I’m more surprised that NBL1 MVP McKay wasn’t high on anyone’s list. Would be handy for Bendigo instead of veterans with ongoing injuries taking up much of salary allocation.

Reply #929734 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Mckay took a break. So did Brook.

Reply #929735 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

Scanlon re-tore her Achilles in July.

Reply #929736 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

Sam Simons is the notable omission for me

Reply #929737 | Report this post

Turnover  
Last year

Is Madgen every going to play again? always injured.

Reply #929762 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

Same with Kelsey Griffin. Hope we are both wrong though and we get plenty more games with both!

Reply #929765 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

If I was Bendigo I'd swap Ruth Davis for Meg McKay immediately!

Reply #929767 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

No sign of Southside vs Melbourne on 9Now.

Reply #929841 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Southside top heavy, too many bigs. Trying to play bigs as wings ain't gonna work Cheryl.

Reply #929843 | Report this post

Turnover  
Last year

@ koberulz... I watched on 9now last night.

On a side note, when do we allow 4 imports? Time to remove NZ players as 'local'... our development of Australian players has dropped off the cliff cause we don't invest time into them at elite level. Time we invest time back to ensure the Opals are back near the top.

Reply #929845 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Removing nz players as locals would be a mistake, they just need more teams and better imports p,us get the Aussies from europe back.

Reply #929846 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

@ koberulz... I watched on 9now last night.
Live, or on demand? It's not in the on demand section for me, only the Perth-Sydney and Bendigo-Townsville games are. Or at least, that was the case last night, I haven't checked this morning.

Also deeply irritating that the 9Now on-demand streams just chop off all the pregame and post game. As someone trying to get into the league, and not yet that familiar with players, teams, contexts, etc., it makes it difficult.

Reply #929850 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

I'm good with NZ players as locals too. It's good for NZ and good for the standard of the league.

Reply #929859 | Report this post

Bluey  
Last year

where can you watch the post game press conferences for WNBL? I saw them doing it on the way out last night

Reply #929866 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Late to upload everything, including the press conferences.

Borlase havin a blinder early.

Reply #929893 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Canberra not enough but a good first game, lots of players contributing.
Borlase went ice cold in the 2nd half.

Reply #929900 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Last year

Down by 3 with 6 seconds left, and Potter goes for a contested fadeaway mid-range.

Makes sense.

Reply #929901 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Lightning did their best to let it slip but a lucky banked 3 got them the W

Reply #929903 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Potter showing her age and inexperience on that one. Probably should have made a play for Sharp or quick hand off back to Melbourne.

Reply #929905 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

Caps fans have a lot to be excited about. Caps of last season would have crumbled at 15 points down. A bit more time to gel and establish rotations and they will upset some teams this year. Fowler and Clark both impressive on debut, and fingers crossed this is the breakout season for Sharp!

Reply #929907 | Report this post

Bluey  
Last year

Potter was also very good (aside from that last play) in what is also effectively her debut after 2 ACL's. Lots to like about the Caps!

Reply #929908 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Capitals vs Lightning game was easily the best game of the round. The others were all a bit meh.

Melbourne's court vision is so much fun to watch. Best court vision and playmaking for an Australian point guard since Kristen Veal, surely. She will feel relieved this season having a decent pick and roll inside player to work with in the form of Alex Fowler.

Borlase was excellent one half offensively, but I was impressed by her defence. She's not quick, but has good defensive awareness and besides getting beaten off the dribble a couple of times, defended Melbourne reasonably well when on her

Jordin Canada is going to dominate the WNBL this season and I think she and Melbourne are going to fight for the assists league leader all season.

Reply #930013 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Also, Isabelle Bourne and Alex Fowler look a lot better in the WNBL than playing in college last season. Definitely more opportunities in the pros for them to showcase their skills.

Reply #930014 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

I thought the Melbourne v Borlase matchup was great. Jade's defence has improved and she handled the bigger frame of Borlase better than she should have last season. Borlase on the other hand kept up with Jade's speed.

Two future Opals for sure.

Reply #930033 | Report this post

JD14  
Last year

Sorry - late to the thread. How good was Maley for Perth in Round 1? She is so good to watch and an absolute beast on the rebounds. Back to her MVP Form.

Reply #930060 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754