hoopie
Last year

Shane Heal’s jersey removed by Kings

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/petty-act-appears-to-wipe-aussie-basketball-legend-shane-heal-from-sydney-kings-history/news-story/4413a715a23db9c16dc14a9d66176b3a

Anyone know more?

Topic #51557 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Last year

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

In saying that Paul Smith is a giant man-baby.

Reply #930023 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

What was the fall out from him suing the Sydney Flames?

Reply #930024 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Last year

Petty petty behaviour from the Kings... 100% to be expected from that organisation...

Reply #930030 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Impossible to even take sides on this when it is effectively Smith vs Heal

Reply #930032 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Did Heal sue Smith or the Kings organisation?

Reply #930034 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Last year

Embarrasin from smith

But wants to take shots at wildcats as a organisation

Reply #930037 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last year

I think Heal wins in the biggest dickhead department.

Reply #930041 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Smith is the epitome of a bloke who would have no friends if it weren't for $$$, the definition of insufferable plonker

Reply #930042 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Smith has turned the kings into back to back champions, what he is or is perceived is irrelevant. He and his fellow shareholders, Luke Longley, Andrew Bogut plus a wealthy Australian businesswoman make the decisions but here everyone is going at smith. The good old tall Poppy syndrome, I'm certain every club would like to have an owner as good as that quartet.
Heal upset the apple cart by only coaching one player, his daughter, every one had to work around her, Smith likes winners, Longley, Bogut, Heal as a player was a winner and as most around agree was a shit coach.
I’d say they all made the decision and in the end it’s theirs.

Reply #930044 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Shane's friends are now few and far between after the Brett Brown saga.

Reply #930048 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Outstanding decision.

Heal deserves to be cancelled.

Reply #930050 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last year

Don't know anyone that’s ever said a nice thing about him. Little upstart arse.... was the first description
I ever heard of him back when he first started playing NBL.

Reply #930084 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Say what you like about Heal but this is wrong.

Reply #930091 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Tend to agree this is a bit like the Knicks kicking Oakley out of MSG

Some things have horrific optics. Heal should be measured by his time as a player/ coach for the Kings and what he achieved in that time. Short of being jailed for an offence, this isn't right.

Reply #930093 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Hate his guts but that was a different time. Should remain up Imo.

Reply #930094 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

The fan base is pretty split on it from what I've seen/heard online and at games. Personally I get removing it and it's also not really something I career much about either way - it doesn't erase the history, and a lot of things have gone on at the club since the days of Heal in a Kings jersey too.

Reply #930099 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

This is going to be controversial but I never understood the jersey retirement in the first place.

Heal only played five seasons for the Kings, coming and going between stints abroad when it suited him, in four mediocre underachieving Brett Brown seasons. (Don't comment if you don't remember how turgid the period between the end of Wrublewski's reign and throughout Macquarie et al's ownership stint was for the club.)

Goorjian turned the franchise around with Heal bolting after the first season because he had to actually train hard under him. The former then proceeds to win another two championships in more convincing fashion via addition by subtraction.

Reply #930116 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Is that "Legends Wall" even the retired jerseys? I thought they were two separate things, with the Wall honoring a) players whose contributions didn't rise to the level of jersey retirement but which nonetheless deserved recognition and b) non-players.

Reply #930117 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Spot on PW. His jersey was up there because him & Smith were besties & now they're not

Reply #930119 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Is that "Legends Wall" even the retired jerseys? I thought they were two separate things, with the Wall honoring a) players whose contributions didn't rise to the level of jersey retirement but which nonetheless deserved recognition and b) non-players.

Yes correct, although the wall integrates past retired jerseys, including Heal's #23, so the removal could be a two-in-one?

Reply #930122 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Spot on PW. His jersey was up there because him & Smith were besties & now they're not

Heal's number was retired in 2004. Who knows though - the wall thing confuses matters.

Reply #930124 | Report this post

Anon123  
Last year

Just to clear this up - the 'Wall of Legends' is the Kings' Hall of Fame and their highest honour for individuals who have made a significant contribution to the club. Paul Smith established a Kings 'Ring of Honour' a couple of years back that is a level below that, voted on by the fans after a judging panel provides a shortlist - Ben Knight and Brad Rosen are the first two members.

There were originally 4 numbers retired in the mid 90s (then unretired by Mike Wrublewski, long story), and the club then (as PW correctly points out) retired Heal's number 23 in 2004. The new ownership group that brought the Kings back in 2010 decided that they would no longer retire numbers (on Ian Robilliard's insistence), so the 'Wall of Legends' was born and Heal's 23 was unretired (Trey Gilder had a 23 blood jersey in one game which caused a bit of a ruckus but it was irrelevant as the number was no longer retired).

And PW's comments on Heal and his suitability for the Wall of Legends have significant merit - particularly given some of the other stuff that has gone on with Heal on and off the court over a long period of time.

Reply #930128 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Last year

Really it is ridiculous that it took Paul Smith falling out with him over the bullying allegations for him to be cancelled.

With all the controversies that have followed him:
- racism (that he bullied the complainant into retracting)
- all the coaching controversies (bullying, knifing his head coaches, the player coach debacle etc.)
- all his off field financial things (see Brett Brown)
- I am sure there are more I am forgetting

On top of being an all round shit bloke, should have happened way before now.

Heal and Rucker still being officially involved in NBL media is so distasteful.

Reply #930133 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Rucker has been very good in commentary.

Reply #930136 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Don't forget the SEQ Stars debacle/allegations or the common assault charges for throwing a water bottle out his car window at a pedestrian over a spat who had right of way on a footpath.

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/47644-shane-heal-charged-with-common-assault/

Reply #930137 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Also don't forget the much worse water bottle incident - the one involving Tonny Jensen during Boomers camp.

Reply #930157 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754