Username
Last year

Daniel Johnson’s departure from Adelaide

What was the story behind Danial Johnson's departure from Adelaide, and what do you think about it?

I sort of feel like DJ earned the right to retire on his own terms from Adelaide, and from what I understand that’s not what happened.

Topic #51622 | Report this topic

S1L3NC3R83  
Last year

The 36ers and DJ disagreed on his place on the team going forward. He also reportedly did not get along with the coach.

It was time for Adelaide to move on from the DJ era. However they did a really poor job of trying to force retire him.

No one truly deserves the right to keep playing and end it on their own terms. Teams shouldn't be expected to carry players for sentimentality.

Take Perth for example, currently they are letting Jesse Wagstaff retire on his own terms when they would have been better moving on from him 2 seasons ago. Jesse is a Wildcats dynasty piece who has played his entire career for the club and won multiple championships, along with an NBL MIP and 6th man award. I still don't think you should get to go out on your own terms if that is in conflict with the direction the club wants to take.

Reply #931461 | Report this post

spEKTre  
Last year

Jesse only played on because he was asked to, I'm pretty sure he wanted to go last year but after all the exit's they wanted some continuity and he has started for a couple of games this season. Jesse is the man when it comes to Rings.

Reply #931465 | Report this post

Kev  
Last year

Problem with Jesse is he is never good enough to play in the NBL and then somehow pulls rabbits out of his hat. When they were at their lowest this season, the old fella drops a few threes, rebounds a hell of a lot, picks up a few flops charges and Perth end up winning the game. There is no doubt, the guy is walking success, hence having him play is a benefit.

For all his toughness and sheer grit when he plays, somehow he will also retire in the top 10 career flops.

Reply #931466 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Last year

Anyone that can drop a few threes, grab some rebounds, make defensive plays and (crucially) contribute to winning seems like they're good enough to me.

Reply #931475 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

That's the nub of it right there Wagstaff despite not having the talent of DJ has always been willing to do the little things needed to help his team win. Even though he was fortunate the Cats caved to pressure and threw him a lifeline this season, he's still a net positive to have around.

Unlike DJ who always placed himself above the team by demanding shots, demanding to start, refusing to play defence and save all his energy for offence and certainly wasn't interested in doing the little things, nor playing for less than star money too.

Reply #931478 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Winning championships gives you a bit more room to expect going out on your terms. And even then, Klay Thompson is an interesting case right now.

Reply #931482 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Last year

Probably did deserve to work out his exit but in reality very few in sport get to decide how and when they go out. Most sports people will keep going until they are dragged out. The key thing is that they mend any issue and welcome him around the club etc and respect his service.

Reply #931490 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Do really have to have another thread on this? My goodness done to death

Reply #931492 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Last year

Yes, you are right spEKTre. It is the Wildcats who decided to let Jesse retire on his own terms, basically saying retire if you want but the roster spot is yours for as long as you want.

The main difference I was making was that the Wildcats don't think Jesse is a barrier to their plans moving forward.

The points others have made are all very true as well.

Interestingly Redhage also made that adjustment and went out on his own terms.

Reply #931526 | Report this post

Statman84  
Last year

DJ priced himself out of the market. Adelaide couldn't afford him.

Reply #931537 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Last year

The way the 6ers treat people is abhorrent

Reply #931652 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

especially their poor long suffering fans.

Reply #931667 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754