Scout
Earlier this year

Under 20 Champs - who are the teams / players to watch?

Kicked of today.

From a Tassie perspective great to see the map get a win over NSW with a late 3 from Kye Savage (one to watch).

Victoria the obvious favourite, Qld have recently become a powerhouse - who are the players / teams to watch?

Topic #51768 | Report this topic

Frogface19  
Earlier this year

I find @Weedy is the best for this type of info

Reply #935312 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this year

QLD VIC final probably.

Siulepa, Fennell, Furphy are the 3 06s with the most hype.
05s seen many time before, Savage, O'Donnell etc etc

Reply #935313 | Report this post

DR  
Earlier this year

Tas have 3 guns but nsw have 8 million population what's there problem they pick names and not talent ?

Reply #935315 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this year

U20s top agers don't always show up.

We should follow nz and change to, U13/U15/U17/U19.

Reply #935316 | Report this post

realtalk  
Earlier this year

Disappoint with the WA performance today. They did not look like they wanted to play like a team. Let's see how they bounce back.

Reply #935321 | Report this post

Truthteller  
Earlier this year

All you have to do is see the WA coach at the level below. Has talented teams that are selfish, never organised and basic concepts on both sides of the ball.

If the players dont buy into the coach then they arent going to ever be a competitive team at a tournament like this.

Reply #935329 | Report this post

Moose 67  
Earlier this year

So you've coached at Nationals level have you Truthteller. You know what it takes do you?

Reply #935330 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Earlier this year

Spot the parent of the kid who didn't make the team

Reply #935347 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Two months ago

DR, NSW basketball participation rate is relatively much lower than it should be due to the shortage of facilities.

Reply #935375 | Report this post

retired  
Two months ago

Hoopstragic-Lack of facilities may not totally relate.

Perhaps it is the staff of BNSW and coaches who assist them who do not coach the players correctly and do less X's and O's and rather do a lot more fundamental work with the athletes because we are aware even at NBL/WNBL level etc the players do fundamental work as well as X's and O's.

Also the lack of facilities does come down to both State and Federal Government as well as BNSW not pursuing opportunites.

Reply #935381 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Two months ago

Retired, the available facilities do have an impact in driving the size of the player and coaching base ... With funding, yes agree. It's been mostly left to local government and that has been inadequate too.

I find it hard to disagree at all with your points regarding coaching...

Reply #935386 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Again, kings with Smith leading are getting more courts built at auburn, Sydney is so far behind in courts needed.

Reply #935395 | Report this post

Red84  
Two months ago

Retired - facilities throughout NSW nowhere near the standard of vic. Rehashing an old theory of mine - in metro Sydney it is due to lack of marginal seats in main bball regions - north shore, northern beaches and sutherland solidly right wing, bankstown, sydney, penrith solidly left. In vic the great stadiums in wantirna and dandenong built on the mortgage belt.

Reply #935397 | Report this post

Red84  
Two months ago

Hoops being a strong SA crowd - may i point out just how impressive have been your unheralded u20 girls squad in this tournament thus far. I follow NSW but have to dip my hat at the competitive spirit of the SA girls. Good coach + clearly coachable group.

Reply #935398 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Two months ago

Red 84, Absolutely agree with you about SA girls. Their come from behind win against NSW was impressive. Another good shooting team from SA.
NSW were out coached...

Reply #935429 | Report this post

retired  
Two months ago

At end of quarter finals and some interesting results.

NSW Men lose another one by 2 points.

From Silver last year to play off tomorrow for 5 to 8 is a drop that BNSW High Performance Boss and staff would not be too happy with you would think.

Women should make Semis and then come up against Victoria for a chance to play the gold medal game.

Victoria look good so lets see how Tom Garlepp coaches this one.

Reply #935458 | Report this post

retired  
Two months ago

NSW Women gone down to Victoria.

Now playing off for Bronze.

Mr Garlepp seems to have a problem every 2nd year and not being able to go back to back.

Juffermans did not play at the end of the 4th Qtr so was she injured because she did not get fould out.

Out rebounded considerably.

Looks like outcoached again.

Reply #935540 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two months ago

@retired

So you look at a box score and assume coach was out coached. Thats speaks volumes on your past and future commentary on this forum.

How about watch the game and provide your opinion based on the actual game and not a box score if a coach was out coached.

I'm Netural on TG being a good or bad coach but at least if I’m going to shit on him, I will watch a game first.

Reply #935547 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two months ago

On another note: Bonnie Deas was phenomenal in the game. She played so well and is a future WNBL prospect. Has kind of a Sami Whitcomb combo guard vibe to her.

Reply #935549 | Report this post

retired  
Two months ago

Pinch-I did not just take it on the box score.

I was watching the Live Stats and saw when subs etc were made and Juffermans replaced at a critical time and did not return even though she had 4 fouls you would look to get one of your best on the court at crunch time or as I said previously was she injured.

Turnovers at critical times also gave Victoria the opportunities and they took them.12 turnovers by 2 players does not go well either.

Reply #935550 | Report this post

Steed  
Two months ago

Juffermans subbed due to injury. Looked bad - hope not. Deas was the difference - 36 pts and 19 boards in a tight game. Outstanding player.

Reply #935552 | Report this post

Red84  
Two months ago

I saw the game live in Ballarat.
Poor Isla - went down with 6 mins remaining - knee - we await scans etc. Really felt sorry for her - she was playing really well, Vic found it hard to contain her. But the Vics are a good team - even with Isla still on court, they were coming. A feature of the vics was their off board presence - particularly Vic guards were just awesome. I've seen Deas over many years - she is such a class act. For NSW both guards - Martin and Bessell - were very good. The match was of high quality, scores close throughout - someone had to win it!

Reply #935556 | Report this post

retired  
Two months ago

Sorry for Juffermans.

Vic big obviously was the difference and interesting to see if she makes Australian Junior teams

Reply #935557 | Report this post

Footloose  
Two months ago

Sounds like Deas was obviously the difference. 36 & 19 boards is insane!

Reply #935563 | Report this post

Red84  
Two months ago

NSW lead at each change and threatened to widen the margin out past 10 points in the 3rd. Frankly the vic bigs were not such a factor in the vic win, except providing the necessary screens and holding lanes open for the guards to do their thing. So it was a mitigation and set up exercise for the bigs. But the points and boards came from the guards. This was a textbook case of a team intent on rebounding AS A team. They were always hitting the pop mid range, enabling vic to stay in touch.

Reply #935567 | Report this post

Red84  
Two months ago

The SA girls did it again (!), defeating fancied opposition (Qld) to progress to the final. Cracking contest decided in OT. Nothing fancy or eye catching about this SA team. But it is one of the hardest working teams in setting up plays, contesting boards, putting a body on the line. A blue collar work ethic prevails combined with an opportunist mindset.

Reply #935570 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two months ago

Don't think qld were fancied over sa in the women.

Portlock should not be making the u18 team for asia, nor should Bobongie, Fuller or Bird.
Harvey has been great in patches but Deas should be the only one who is a lock for asia.

Outside of the COE, Bond, Dart, Bessell, Gardiner have all been good.
Akot probably the biggest riser from last year.

Reply #935571 | Report this post

Anon  
Two months ago

Huge game winner by Aussie Rapp to take the title for Vic.

Reply #935608 | Report this post

retired  
Two months ago

Another U20 Nationals done and dusted and Victoria sweep the GOLD again.

What do the other States have to do to knock them off.

Every couple of years a different state picks up 1 gold medal but not consistently.

Qld have probably been the best of the States over the recent period.

NSW should be doing better and their boys program obviously needs something done as they have struggled with only a silver last year and the first for a while.

Their women have had a mix of medals and not gold 2 years in a row.

SA and WA have picked the odd medal and obviously also need work to be done.

Do some of these states need to shake up the state body coaches who lead the Athletes and change how they approach what training ethics they do.

Reply #935723 | Report this post

Blues67  
Two months ago

I wouldn't read too much into results at U20’s as many of the best top-agers are now in college.
For me, you can get a much better read of programs from the results at U18’s.

Reply #935729 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Two months ago

Vic simply have the depth of numbers and the amount of resources that go into their program dwarf the other states.
Four full time development coaches as well as dozen perm part time hub coaches, and a full time administrator just for state teams. They are streaks ahead of the other states on and off the court

Reply #935732 | Report this post

Steed  
Two months ago

Although a few players may not go due to college or NBL/WNBL etc, the U20s are still representative of the strength of a program - another state may win now and again, but none of us are surprised to see Victoria competing for gold.
Vic are consistently competitive and will be strong at the U18s, 16s, and again next year .... They do have the greater resources and, while there have been some tactical missteps along the way, they take a long term view of their program and talent development.
SA and Qld generally do well given their relative size disadvantage. NSW are the underperformers given its size. There is no short term fix, but unfortunately their HP program isn't known for long term planning.
NSW girls will be a rare exception and likely win the U18s this year. They are a uniquely talented age group. NSW know this group is it for them for a while, and judging by the selection of all top age players, they've already conceded next years U18s. I guess they hope this groups success will distract us for a while. Fur coat, no ...

Reply #935734 | Report this post

Red84  
Two months ago

Retired
NSW Women won the U20 title in Geelong last year. They came third this year, which was a fair result. But they gave the Vics a hell of a fight in the SF - lead for 3 qtrs and only conceded the lead soon after their high quality big Isla Juffermans sustained a knee injury and had to be subbed out. So NSW were highly competitive.

More generally
In terms of number of players and teams - the NSW metro comp is about one third the size of Vic Metro (don't know the NSW country Vs Vic Country comparison). I cannot be complimentary enough about the quality of the HP program. Every association face their own issues. If i had to nominate a region where a lift in standards - facilities and coaching - would have a big impact at the NSW state it would have to be the inner west and Parramatta regions along with the Comets catchment in the inner South. Big population, an underlying interest in basketball, but progress is hindered by poor facilities and chronic trouble in certain local administrations (excl Comets here). To fill the void, certain commercial coaching operations have entered the scene; attracting talent from Penrith, Comets and Bamkstown and - it would appear - completely displace the defunct Parramatta club. Don't get me wrong - some of the trainers are really good and some of the talented girls involved in their programs do improve their skills. But I personally would like to see the municipal game thrive in these regions and remain the peak domestic competition, not be divided (US style) into private leagues or private school leagues.

Reply #935755 | Report this post

Manders  
Two months ago

Vic HP program has a massive benefit - really huge number of quality kids, all of whom are actually developed outside the HP program, and they just pick kids who are physically strong. So, the added benefit of the program is really debatable, and really just reinforces decisions around picking footballers rather than basketballers. Real shame, actually. But it won't change because they win and win well. Would be a good question to ask as to the incremental benefit the program provides above the socks.

Reply #935763 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754