Q Anon
Two months ago

Ninnis to retain HC role for 36ers

Expect an announcement soon. Deal almost done.

Topic #51771 | Report this topic

Gazee  
Two months ago

Excellent

Reply #935363 | Report this post

KET  
Two months ago

Found it interesting that DJV made it very clear his preference in 3 interviews, I think.

A lot of what he said I agreed with, but at the same time, I'm not sure that it’s fundamentally stable to have a player sorta GMing it like that.

Ultimately - if we see a free flowing side and retain Humphries, Kell, Galloway, Cadee and add a few good imports, they are a chance to be genuinely competitive next year.

Monetarily it probably helps to not have to be paying multiple coaches, not having MMs contract, possibly not paying all of Dechs, obviously not having DJ Johnson’s rumoured premium contract.

Hopefully not having to replace imports mid year aswell....

If that money is channeled into DJV, Humphries, Kell, 2 imports etc I think that’ll be a stable and more productive outfit.

They can finally get their PG, have their scorers in DJV and Kell whilst not getting murdered in the paint thanks to IH/Galloway/Import.

Something of a balance!

Reply #935364 | Report this post

Gazee  
Two months ago

Agreed Ket

Stoked for ninnis he's certainly changed the attitude / culture already

Extremely rare for a previously sacked coach get hired again by the same club

Reply #935368 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Looks like a good appointment, I wish him very we

Reply #935369 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Well^^^

Reply #935370 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

Extremely rare for a previously sacked (wooden spoon-winning) coach get hired again by the same club

GK is an innovative, trail blazing owner. What will he come up with next?

Reply #935371 | Report this post

LaPark  
Two months ago

Not sure if long-term it's the right move, but at the very least Ninnis has probably done all he can with the team to prove he deserves another year at least.

I wonder if they'd be looking for a up-and-coming assistant to pair with him in the event he falls back to earth next year?

Reply #935372 | Report this post

KET  
Two months ago

I think that the assistant Ninnis brought in is also popular with the players...or at least DJV?

I wonder if they'll keep the coaching team as is now but maybe bring in one more assistant, perhaps if SEM clean house MK wouldn’t be a bad pickup? Or Chance?

Adelaide should maybe keep it a one year deal and see how it goes with the vision that if things go well early next year they can look to seal a further extension early in the season IMO.

Reply #935374 | Report this post

LaPark  
Two months ago

Ninnis has been pretty clear he has no interest in leaving Adelaide and desperately wants the job. So offering him more than 1 year at this stage seems silly. He's not going to be poached and I don't think he'll turn down the chance at the job. At the very least put a finals trigger on the 2nd year.

Graham Kubank was the assistant that Ninnis brought in, but definitely does seem like it's a "What DJ wants, DJ gets" situation happening right now.

Reply #935376 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two months ago

Does Ninnis have the same agent as DJV?

Maybe DJV knew that the Ninnis signing was imminent, and was just acting accordingly.

Reply #935377 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Two months ago

LaPark on the money: 36ers are in the driver's seat, and have no reason to offer more than 1 year deal.

If Ninnis proves this isn't just a honeymoon period, then talk a longer-term deal. I have my doubts.

Reply #935379 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two months ago

"Maybe DJV knew that the Ninnis signing was imminent, and was just acting accordingly."

If DJ knew the signing was coming, and didn't think Ninnis was the right man for the job, then he wouldn't have signed.

Reply #935382 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two months ago

Smart decision. Very surprising!

Reply #935384 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

Ninnis handed free reign of the team to DJV.

DJV not silly, of course he's going to say he wants Ninnis to stay on.

Reply #935385 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two months ago

DJV hasn't been given free reign by Ninnis at all. He’s been benched a couple of times when he has been playing poorly.

What Ninnis has done is give DJV a bigger role than he had in Sydney because that is what the team needed.

He and Kell are the only guys on the team really capable of generating consistent offence, so they both have prominent roles.

Reply #935387 | Report this post

LaPark  
Two months ago

GK saying today they're not announcing anything until the end of the season. Mind you, DJV said he'd had his deal signed for a month or two before they announced it, so certainly not unreasonable that they've already agreed to terms with Ninnis.

Reply #935392 | Report this post

KET  
Two months ago

Aslong as people don't over react to the win-loss column, particularly for the last 4 days.

Start of the season I certainly felt like they were short on talent by around 2 good players, 3 with Kell/Humphries not achieving what we’d needed from them. I also felt like the balance was off with critical holes in PG, scoring, defensive big.

Fast forward to now and signing DJV along with improvement by Kell and greater court time and improvement with Humphries, plus Galloway chipping in nicely, I think they covered the scoring and defensive big issues reasonably.

So now I feel like that leaves them one good player short(PG I guess) and maybe one helpful/quality benchie short. I feel like with DJV being a local and the import slot(s) available, Adelaide can build something competitive next season if all goes well.

However, right now I think they’re a bit short and with the games being so critical for the other teams as well, 36ers could very easily fall a bit short in each of those games.

To me then, the focus needs to be the eye test on how everything goes stylistically - how stoic can they be on defence, how free flowing on offence, do they continue to gel together and share the volume between Humphries, Kell, DJV.

If Adelaide go 2-2, 3-1 or even 4-0, then that’s a nice finish to the season in any event, all things considered!

Reply #935393 | Report this post

KET  
Two months ago

Last 4 games*

Reply #935394 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

6ers play Sydney at home which is no easy get. Tasmania away, very tough. Brisbane away, getable but tight. Then NZ at home last game with NZ maybe fighting for a play in spot. Adelaide could realistically go 0-4 to finish the year.

Reply #935396 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two months ago

Would you keep MMM as an end of bench player on minimum coin?

Reply #935399 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Two months ago

Wouldn't mind keeping McCarron at the right price.

He’s still a good player and starting caliber player at this level.

He just isn’t a marquee player at this level.

There’s a difference between being overpaid and overrated or underrated.

Reply #935400 | Report this post

KET  
Two months ago

I'm not sure there’s any point doing that particular hypothetical lol

Reply #935401 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

Watching the press conference on the news it screams if we can't land a stud coach Scott will do for now.

Reply #935402 | Report this post

Hooper  
Two months ago

QAnon, with your posts, and the types of info you're posting, people have finally narrowed down who you are and how you’re getting info I’d say...

Reply #935419 | Report this post

Kev  
Two months ago

His first opportunity came with 10 boxes of cereal to help recruit and pay our former team. We were running off the lowest of all surviving clubs at that time.

Now with a roster not created by him, with an Owner who isn't afraid to spend, he has got a real opportunity. Hopefully he continues to do well and hopefully this is enough for that other club legend to take an assistant job next to him.

Reply #935435 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two months ago

I've got friends everywhere who share lots of stories about lots of things. Some make it here, most do not.
I guess pretty well with what I see. I said at the start of the season that Ninnis will be head coach before the end of the season. Did someone tell me that or was that a logical guess based on what was happening.

Reply #935436 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Two months ago

It was pretty widely known that Ninnis was brought on to replace CJ mid-season.

Reply #935438 | Report this post

Tornado  
Two months ago

I was a massive doubter at the start based on his previous failed attempt at coaching in the NBL. However, I think Ninnis probably deserves the HC role based on how he has managed to turn this team around. I would be signing him for 2 years, 2nd year not guaranteed unless certain metrics/goals are met in Year 1. We need to steer away from offering coaches 3 year deals for the time being.

I'd say DJV had/has inside knowledge that Ninnis will or was likely to be retained as HC. If you read between the lines in the same way he was speaking about his own contract there are a lot of similarities.

As for the team, not sure why everyone is saying we need a true point guard? Since Kell has moved to that role he has been ballin' out. I think he plays better with the ball in his hands so bringing in a pg and moving him to SF would render him less effective imo. My preference would be to bring Cleveland (or similar) back and play him at SF. He doesn't need a lot of the ball to be effective and he can impact the game in many ways without the ball.

My Team would look like this:

PG: Kell / Cadee
SG: DJV / Marshall
SF: Cleveland / Marshall
PF: Wiley(or Import) / Galloway
C: Humphries / Galloway

8 man rotation and who starts at PF is based on form/match ups.

Reply #935440 | Report this post

Eddie  
Two months ago

Obviously Scott Ninnis with his team of Graham Kubank and Michael Lake have done an exceptional job of turning the 36ers around... why would you even think about going down a different path? They know how to connect with the players and the SA public. Any other choice would be ludicrous.

Reply #935474 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

You would think he's done enough now.

Reply #935487 | Report this post

KET  
Two months ago

I think it's a given that if you manage to get Cleveland back that’s a massive coup and an X factor.

Still though, I really really like that team Tornado.
Obviously we play that no-true PG risk and that can bite on the backside, but otherwise I feel like it has so much balance with a good amount of talent.

I guess we ask - is Wiley and Galloway good enough together defensively?

What I like about bringing back Wiley is the energy and he does make things happen still. He actually likes not playing too many minutes, and that lends itself well to Galloway getting starter type minutes without any sooking happening.

I love the maturity that Cadee brings off the bench and I think Marshall has Sobey like X factor when he gets more experience and development in.

Reply #935516 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two months ago

I think this is the right move.

Gleeson would trump Ninnis if he was obtainable, obviously, but in the absence of a clear alternative, this is a better outcome than just bringing in a G-League coach or something like that.

I don't think that Ninnis is a tactical mastermind, or is likely to overachieve, but I think a past player such as him brings a bit of stability and unification.

Concern for me is how quickly Adelaide plateau under him, which might leave the club and fans in an awkward position of calling for a new head coach based off his previous stint, but I think he's the right choice on a 2 year deal to just start the process of making Adelaide a great club again (Not in a Trump style rhetoric).

Reply #935645 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

I'd be chasing Jacob Chance to work with Ninnis. Sixers are close to a very good side.

Reply #935649 | Report this post

KET  
Two months ago

Agreed, it's a legitimate question - do we think he’s a finals type coach.

On the hand stability now and momentum is nice. On the other hand, we’d hate to find out the answer is no next season and we look for yet another coach.

One mitigating factor is they have an extra import slot up there sleeves so they could talent up, especially if they still have some sort of war chest available by not having to pay for multiple head coaches at once or contracts that are highly premium not translating into impact/value.

Further they could try to upgrade on Wiley atleast balance wise too.

All of this is predicated on keeping Humphries and probably Galloway and probably current form Kell.

If we don’t get Humphries, it’s a big debt to be honest.

Reply #935650 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two months ago

You wont get Wiley and Cleveland on the same team

2025 team

Import / Cadee
DJ/ Dech
Cleveland/ Marshall
Bolden / Galloway ( maybe)
Humphries / DP big

Much will depend on Galloway and Humphries and Dech

Scott will be announced as coach after the last game.

Reply #935667 | Report this post

KET  
Two months ago

Is that a lineup based on rumblings or just a hypothetical on what you'd like to see like the rest of us do?

If it’s rumblings it probably changes alot of our hypotheticals!

I feel like Cleveland is more hopeful than reality by us. Galloway I’m guessing still out the door and Dech still to be pushed out.

The Bolden inclusion- rumblings or pulling a hypothetical?

Reply #935668 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two months ago

sorry - these are my hypotheticals

Ive come to like Kell but he is a tweener for me and not at the same level as Cleveland. A DJ + Kell starting back court isn't horrible but it isn't elite. Perhaps over pay for WMW to then load up on other spots?

Until Humphries is dealt with they wont know what cards to play and what cards to chase. Wiley has done enough to stay but as long as it's on the cheaper side. He isn't bringing more than what Galloway can or does but critically unlocks the import spot. Right now Wiley is better than Galloway but do you risk the upside and keep Galloway alongside a superior big?

I assume Dech, Cadee and Marshall will all stay as they are contracted.

Reply #935669 | Report this post

LaPark  
Two months ago

What's the beef with Wiley and Cleveland?

Reply #935681 | Report this post

KET  
Two months ago

Cadee interview is also pretty candid.

Reply #935757 | Report this post

LaPark  
Two months ago

Trentyn Flowers out again, this time with a neck strain.

Reply #935758 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Was CJ just gullible or just incompetent, Flowers was supposedly the starting point guard. It doesn't add up.

Reply #935759 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Two months ago

Result since suggest he was incompetent

Reply #935760 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Disappointing if so absolutely loved him as a player a tall his clubs.

Reply #935761 | Report this post

LaPark  
Two months ago

The only thing I can think of with Flowers is CJ hated McCarron so much he was willing to completely roll the dice on Flowers being a miracle that fix his PG woes.

The first 90 seconds of that pre-season game against Brisbane immediately shut that down though when Flowers couldn't even get the ball past half-court.

Reply #935764 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two months ago

:)

Reply #936737 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two months ago

Just noticed your 2025 team suggestion above Q Anon. Do you think Bolden is a realistic option? Who would you rather have? Him or Galloway? Would be handy to have both to mix and match with Humphries!

I'd love to see Cleveland back, but I’d be ok with bringing Kell back too. If you could get a good point guard, Kell would be very handy as an alternative offensive hub to adapt to/ mix things up for different opponents. Question would be, can Kell match up against most opposing threes defensively?

Reply #936760 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two months ago

I think Galloway is going - I dont know that but am reading the tea leaves

If Wiley is retained and is happy off the bench as he was for the later part of the season then a weapon at the 4 is critical. I dont see Bolden being particularly happy at Sydney and he is an FA

Cleveland over Kell every time. Paired with DJV , wow!

If Humphries tests FA then you go hard at Jordan Hunter

Id also be going hard for WMW as the rumblings out of NZ aren't great and having an Aussie PG just frees the imports spots up so dramatically. Dont discount MMM re-signing though

Personally Id go harder at 2 game changer imports than 3 initially and keep the 3rd slot open as injury cover

Reply #936763 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two months ago

I think Galloway is going - I dont know that but am reading the tea leaves

If Wiley is retained and is happy off the bench as he was for the later part of the season then a weapon at the 4 is critical. I dont see Bolden being particularly happy at Sydney and he is an FA

Cleveland over Kell every time. Paired with DJV , wow!

If Humphries tests FA then you go hard at Jordan Hunter

Id also be going hard for WMW as the rumblings out of NZ aren't great and having an Aussie PG just frees the imports spots up so dramatically. Dont discount MMM re-signing though

Personally Id go harder at 2 game changer imports than 3 initially and keep the 3rd slot open as injury cover

Reply #936764 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two months ago

I hope you're wrong on Galloway! Surely he feels more valued since Ninnis took over and installed him in the starting lineup? He has certainly taken some big steps forward late in the season. The way he put the ball on the floor and took the ball to the basket a couple of times in that last game was a real eye-opener as to what his ceiling could be! Would love to see him start for the Sixers next season if he continues to back himself!

Cleveland is definitely a better athlete than Kell, but I actually think Kell is better as a playmaker after what I saw this season. I like both players, but is it more important to have a good secondary playmaker like Kell to take pressure off an import point guard to do everything? Or get an elite athlete who can challenge anyone at the rim?

Reply #936777 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Two months ago

WMW4MMC

Reply #936790 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:41 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754