Hoops Junkie 24
Two months ago

Nbl1 South 2024

New Season right around the corner, I see some big signings. Who has had a highly productive off season?

Is Shaq's boy coming out ?

Topic #51835 | Report this topic

Cram  
Two months ago

Tom Wilson coming back to basketball with the Tigers is pretty big. Will be very interested to see how he goes after 5 years away from the game.

Reply #936934 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

He was average before he went, media pet from the tigers.

Reply #936935 | Report this post

Cram  
Two months ago

He was 21 and had plenty of potential. Plenty of average 21 year olds turn into good or even very good professional players.

Reply #936936 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Two months ago

He was 21 and chasing the money - his former YL/SEABL coach brought him to Sydney and he didn't make it. He was in Partizan before that, yet lasted only a handful of games. The real question is whether he changed, he is now 26/27 - he has always been talented with plenty of potential but talent never succeeds alone - is he prepared (finally) to work for it?

Reply #936982 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Lots of opportunities, can't see any success.

Reply #936984 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

An athletic kid who is coming back to basketball from AFL. Surely that is a win! Why do we need to tear people down "ALL" the time? We have an elite athlete coming back to NBL1...hooray!

Reply #936985 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

I don't believe it’s tearing him down, just pointing out the past. I believe a lot other players would have appreciated his hand ups a long the way.

Reply #936986 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

We lose so many athletes to AFL. Good to get one back. Plenty of wash outs have had hand ups (cough...Ben Simmons...cough)

Reply #936987 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Yes I hear you, but players Pineau, McDaniel and lots of others have busted their arses to get a chance to make a career.

Reply #936988 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

So did Wilson, he just chose AFL. I doubt he has not worked any less. It just didn't stick with footy. Plenty of people follow a dream and it never arrives. It's fantastic basketball has welcomed him back with open arms.

Reply #936989 | Report this post

Cram  
Two months ago

yeah i dont get the negativity. Again, he was very young - still well under the age of someone who can win the "Next Generation" award - and had some talent. He was younger than half the DPs in the league and guys still in college and people were willing to write him off?

People do this all the time. If there's a kid with any kind of positivity when they're young and don't look like a dead set superstar from their first pro gig they're a bust. This league has had heaps of guys who didnt put it together until their mid 20s and went on to be solid pro players.

Its also been full of fans willing to write off guys straight away. Best example was people saying David Andersen was a bust after his rookie season at the Hawks (aged 18). Why do we do this?

I'm by no means saying he's going to come back and be a boomer - he's got a lot of work to get back to being a basketball player - but im really keen to see what he can do after 5 years of being away.

Good luck to him.

Reply #936991 | Report this post

Eurocup 123  
Two months ago

Dunkman, Wilson is fitter, bigger, stonger and faster by a long way than he was 4 years ago. In Tigers practice game on Sunday he killed it. Shot the lights with the 3 ball. Clearly been working on his shooting. He is in for a BIG season. Don't forget that he was the MVP of SEABL as a skinny kid.

Reply #937029 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Well good luck to him, if my memory is correct there was a fair bit controversy when he won that mvp, his side was so far down the ladder. I'll try and see how he goes.

Reply #937031 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Two months ago

He was all star five in a junior world championships. He'll be fine.

Reply #937035 | Report this post

Eurocup 123  
Last month

Any news in regard to practice games for any clubs this weekend?

Reply #937216 | Report this post

Hoops Junkie 24  
Last month

Dj Vasilejvic signing surely puts waverley as one of the favourites who can contend with the likes of Knox and Sandringham

Reply #937260 | Report this post

TrevorTorrance  
Last month

Rowan McKenzie signing at Bendigo is a great lil signing.

Reply #937400 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last month

Does anyone know why Geelong United women's team replace their NBL1 coach only a week or so ago? The article doesn't say, not even sure who the old coach was tbh.

https://timesnewsgroup.com.au/geelongtimes/sport/petty-announced-as-new-united-coach/

Reply #939045 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Last month

Matt Paton

Reply #939048 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last month

thanks Jay, any idea what happened there?

With the South conference starting this week, who are the teams to watch out for?

Reply #939610 | Report this post

Hoops Junkie 24  
Earlier this month

First night of nbl1 thoughts?

Sandy looked impressive with 3 key outs. Surely someone will swoop up Asuncion-Byrd for the nbl season. Is he considered an import at nbl ?

Knox looking like a well oiled machine.

Reply #939779 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this month

Atwell scorchin again.
Bendigo women the favourites for the national title?

Reply #939781 | Report this post

Cram  
Earlier this month

Tigers women look good though, I dont know if they're expecting Jade to hang around much of the season.

Tom Wilson looked pretty good for a first hit out. Outside shot wasn't dropping but everything else looked pretty good. Tigers will need him to be at his best to have a good season though.

Reply #939888 | Report this post

Footloose  
Earlier this month

Melbourne will be gone in a few weeks for training camp

Reply #939897 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last week

Anyone see the incident that saw Reid leave the game in the 3rd quarter tonight?

Reply #940992 | Report this post

DMc  
Last week

If you want to see it you can navigate through the Kayo stream- it happened at about the 6.45 mark of the 3rd.
Was hard to see, but looked like an accidental elbow(?) to the neck/head(?).
Walked to the locker room more or less unassisted after being helped up, but didn't return to the bench at all.

Reply #940993 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last week

thanks DMc

Reply #940996 | Report this post

Anon  
Last week

impressive black eye from what she posted on insta

Reply #940999 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754