Gus3232
Last month

NBL "gather" round

Interesting article over here in the West today saying that next season's opening NBL round could have all teams playing in Perth, similiar to the AFL's "gather" round.

It's also expected to include WNBL pre-season games and under 18 representative matches.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/nbls-gather-round-on-the-verge-of-being-announced-for-wa-as-perth-wildcats-prepare-for-finals-c-13778005

Topic #51842 | Report this topic

Drexler  
Last month

Bring it on. I'm going to be very poor that week if thats the case

Reply #937176 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Stevenson isn't the brainchild of the concept, it was copied from the UK Super League's Magic Weekend which began in 2007.

Reply #937179 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

I'd travel away for a magic round.

Would prefer Melbourne as a destination, but Perth is tempting.

Reply #937185 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Brisbane, Adelaide or anywhere in between, anywhere else gets awfully expensive re travelling from most areas.

Reply #937187 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Bring it on! I would definitely travel over for this (the 8 minute ferry ride is very pleasant)

Reply #937197 | Report this post

Classified  
Last month

if there were to be an NBL gather round in Perth, would all the games be played at RAC arena or at different venues?

Reply #937215 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last month

Assume unlikely all games would be at RAC given the concert and other event schedule. If a few games are played there it will be very interesting to see what kind of $$$ were talking for non cats games. I'd happily go see whoever play whoever on consecutive nights but if its $50-100+ for a decent seat to non cats games I reckon they will struggle to fill it out.

Reply #937217 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

From the article:

With so many teams set to come to WA, the state's elite venues would be needed to host matches. That would see the highest drawing games being played at RAC Arena but other NBL1 venues also involved.

Reply #937218 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

This feels like wishful thinking on the league's part as I doubt many in Perth would be interested in attending a non-Wildcats NBL game and any travelling supporters from interstate would be miniscule in number.

Did they not learn from the NBL Cup in Melbourne?

Bendat Basketball Centre (2,000 capacity) and Arena Joondalup (soon to be 2,400... AH-WOO!) are the only appropriate secondary venues because the other NBL1 West stadia are rec centre quality.

Reply #937219 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Bring it on! I would definitely travel over for this (the 8 minute ferry ride is very pleasant)

Don't short change yourself - it takes time walking to/from the ferry on both sides.

Stupid numbat.

Reply #937220 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last month

I'm not a big fan, great for WA state but seriously haven’t they learnt from the one venue NBL Cup format?

Games have to be home and away if the NBL Cup returns. My guess is every team will play an extra two games to their original 28 game season. I would be keen travelling but if they put Melbourne in one of the smaller venues, I won’t bother plus travelling is super dear. Also will clash with AFL finals series. Poor timing, bloody wish the nbl could just extend to April, play finals in May like the European counterparts.

Reply #937225 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Damo made an appearance with an interview during 9News Perth's top story (non-basketball) tonight.

Reply #937267 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Not his first time, either.

Reply #937268 | Report this post

JCK98  
Last month

Bendat Basketball Centre (2,000 capacity) and Arena Joondalup (soon to be 2,400... AH-WOO!) are the only appropriate secondary venues because the other NBL1 West stadia are rec centre quality.

Challenge Stadium not there anymore?

Reply #937271 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

I take your point but in the article they stated "NBL1 venues".

Reply #937276 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

I don't believe the playing surface Challenge is up to the required standard.

Reply #937278 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Plus it would smell even worse now.

Reply #937279 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Last month

Why would the NBL need alternate venues?

The NRL copied it first from the English Super league.

All games are played at Lang Park.

Now NBL courts don't have to worry about tearing up grass..

I think the AFL did it because being such a long game and 9 games in a round, they have to play some games concurrently.

The NBL could have a 5 game round.

1 on Friday night, 3 on Saturday, 1 Sunday.

Reply #937280 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

Why would the NBL need alternate venues?
Because a crowd of 15 in a 13,500-capacity venue looks shit?

Reply #937281 | Report this post

WC95  
Last month

If a crowd of only "15" is on the cards, or even if its a more realistic 600-1000 for non Wildcats games, then I'd like to know why this makes sense. TV audiences also probably won't be too glued in watching games in small venues in front of small neutral crowds either.

Reply #937285 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

Whilst I like that the NBL tries things, I don't see this particular one succeeding.

The AFL version works - SA is a serious AFL state that gets around events, AFL is big enough that there’s plenty of non-SA sides with local SA support like Collingwood, Essendon. The smaller sides are capable of filling Norwood or Mt Barker because it’s AFL. Lots of people from Victoria use it as an opportunity for a quick weekender.

I think WA would support the NBL as well as any other state, which is great for the Wildcats. But I don’t think NBL is big enough that we’d see the other clubs get crowds. Being in WA means it’s too far to really be worth the travel for east coasters.

You could do it in Melbourne or Adelaide or Sydney or Brisbane or Gold Coast or maybe even Tassie and hope that people travel for it, but in all honestly I just don’t think people would.

I do like conceptually it being a festival of bball between NBL, WNBL and Juniors though.

Reply #937288 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Because a crowd of 15 in a 13,500-capacity venue looks shit?

Indeed. And arguably a more practical reason - because renting RAC is expensive af so you need a good crowd just to avoid losing a lot of money.

Reply #937298 | Report this post

Anon  
Last month

NBL aren't coming over to lose money. WA government is paying so you don’t need 12k people to break even

Reply #937306 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

It makes sense the NBL are getting on WA's 'handouts for bringing your event here' bandwagon. There is no other way this would be financially feasible.

IIRC NBL Cup in Melbourne was subsidised by Victoria.

Reply #937308 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

The Victorian government heavily subsidised the NBL Hub. Just like what occurs with the Blitz annually.

Reply #937311 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Last month

If a paltry crowd is your concern, then the concept isn't viable in the first place.

Part of ensuring big(ger) crowds is the double-triple header arrangement.

Again, QLD does this well, ensuring each of the 4 Queensland teams don't play each other, meaning 4 'home' games.

For me, Victoria is best placed for this.

At RAC, it's more they're Wildcats fans than basketball fans.

I'd think the two Melbourne sides drawn away from each other, and close enough to the 'fans of basketball ' from Tas, SA and NSW who want to be part of such an event

Reply #937313 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last month

Unsure how this will work. How many extra games will each team play on top of their 28-game regular season.

Reply #937315 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

The article states they would be regular season games, perhaps the opening round.

Agreed that an east coast city with more than one home team would work best but the WA government are the ones currently offering dollars to event holders.

Reply #937318 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

NBL aren't coming over to lose money. WA government is paying so you don't need 12k people to break even
The government probably isn't any more keen on spending excessively than the league is.

Reply #937341 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Sounds like the WNBL could be planning to have all its teams over here for a pre-season blitz-type tournament as part of this initiative.
Must be a challenging thing to try to plan given that the WNBL itself could look quite different next season.

Reply #937348 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

Agreed that in a sense Melbourne or an east coast place is "best placed" to have this, but again, all factors need to be nailed and if the Vic or NSW or Qld state govs aren't willing to put up some cash that perhaps WA might, it’s again, not really the most feasible concept.

Reply #937351 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

NSW put up cash for basketball, highly unlikely, if it wasn't for smith it would be dead.

Reply #937352 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Super Rugby, over the last weekend, held their third annual 'Super Round' with three double headers in Melbourne.

It wasn't a success.

Reply #937367 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:42 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754