Patty"TheGOAT"Mills
Last month

Isaac Humphries inks three-year deal with 36ers

Isaac Humphries has agreed to a new three-year deal to return to the Adelaide 36ers, sources told ESPN. The new deal will keep the marquee big-man in Adelaide through the 2026-27 NBL season.

https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/1763770785246924979

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/39635035/nbl-isaac-humphries-re-signs-adelaide-36ers-three-year-deal

Topic #51846 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Last month

Well this would be excellent news for Sixers fans. Two quality pieces tucked away.

Reply #937241 | Report this post

Rat10  
Last month

Fantastic news. Awesome to have 2 of the best Aussies playing in the NBL locked away for 3 years in what you think would be their prime (26 - 29).

I would love to hear we've re-signed Galloway next and brought back Cleveland!

Reply #937258 | Report this post

Kev  
Last month

Nick Marshall is our next to secure. South Australian and plays like the only entertainment he has at home is watching Scott Niinnis highlight tapes.

Reply #937292 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last month

Marshall is contracted

Dech movement is the next piece to watch

Reply #937294 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Unless Dech is on massive money, why would you want to get rid of him, he's still a good player. If he’s overpaid no one else will take him.

Reply #937295 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last month

Dech is still a decent wing off the bench I'd be keeping him.

/Cadee
Vasiljevic/Marshall
/Dech
/
Humphries

Ninnis has talked about getting South Australians. Are there any decent South Australians that are free agents?

Reply #937304 | Report this post

Gazee  
Last month

Credit were it's deserved well done getting Isaac on a long term deal , had the feeling once djv commuted he would seeing they are close , and also both there public support for ninnis aswell

Reply #937312 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

I don't think there’s many South Aussies out there out of contract. White and Olbrich are still contracted. Maybe Lat Mayen if he is out of contract and Galloway were to leave?

Reply #937354 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last month

No South Aussie FA's move the needle for this squad. Ninnis said Jacob Rigoni is a target.

Contracted right now

/ Cadee
DJV / Dech
/ Marshall
/
Humphries /

Ive read conflict detail on Marshall he has a player option to he is contracted. Either way I cant see him moving.

Galloway a critical piece to retain as he will shape what imports are sought. I'd like to see Wiley retained of only to push him through naturalisation. I'd imagine Starling re-signs as he is cheap and has the existing relationship for continuity that Ninnis is looking for.

Reply #937357 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

What are the chances of the same team as the end of last year but swapping out MM for an import?

Reply #937358 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Wiley over the season was quite good, problem is if going with two imports that's one down and still needs a point guard unless WMW arrives.

Reply #937359 | Report this post

Gazee  
Last month

Q anon I heard Wiley has exercised his player option to remain at the 36ers next season

Reply #937361 | Report this post

Dave  
Last month

I think Wiley's option is mutual so Sixers would still have to pick it up as well.

Reply #937362 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

They'd only go 2 imports if they found another quality Aussie I’d imagine? WMW type level

Reply #937363 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Depends on what they are paying Humphries and DJ IMO. I could easily imagine they are both on healthy local salaries and might financially justify a two import approach. If so, I don't think Wiley can be one of those two if the Sixers want to push for top 4. He's a good #3 import and exceeded my very modest expectations for him this season, but the Sixers still need an import PG and wing IMO before anything else.

Reply #937364 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

signing DJ and Humphries for 3 years each is absolutely fantastic for the 36ers.

The only caveat is we don't know what they're getting paid. The 36ers will still need solid imports to turn them into a contender.

Reply #937365 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Exactly AngusH.

Reply #937366 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last month

Is Majok Deng a Free Agent? He's around the best SA guy who could be.

Im guessing the team looks something like

Humphries/?Wiley
Galloway/?Deng/?Starling
?Cleveland/Marshall
Vasiljevic/Dech/?Rigoni
Kell/Cadee

Reply #937379 | Report this post

Ski 61  
Last month

Love the news on Humphries.

Just on Wiley, as someone who attended 12/14 home games it was really interesting to watch Wiley throughout the season.

Early days I was in disbelief of his athleticism on the court. Rarely would you see a better athlete than him, some of the explosive stuff he was doing, it was amazing. As the season unfolded I think he really battled with his body, as he suggested a few times on instagram. It was a shame by the end of the season to see him not at the level he would like to be. Hope he stays.

Reply #937391 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Last month

Great news. Had to get done.

Reply #937402 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

Angus, I found it interesting in the press conference with Ninnis and GK that they were asked about whether the 36ers would look at getting a third import this time.

I interpreted that in the sense of will they get an additional level of talent that they declined to bring in after signing DJV.

GK seemed to nod his head whilst Ninnis indicated they wouldn't necessarily need a third import if you sign a good Aussie instead.

I’m guessing with only paying Ninnis as a HC this year plus perhaps MMs big contract off the books there is capacity to spend to increase the talent beyond what they finished the season with?

No pay increases come into it so we will ultimately have to see.

Reply #937458 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

Now pay increases may come into it*

Reply #937459 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last month

Whilst the application of the rule does at times seem a bit random
The NBL Free Agent Tracker states that a team may only have a total of imports plus marquee players of up to four.
and both DJV and McM were listed as marquees last season.

Reply #937461 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

You can change who which Aussie players are designated as a marquee

But non-marquees have full salary counted against the cap. I'm guessing that isn't something the 36ers will want to do, so, likely just 2 imports for next few years

Reply #937462 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last month

Guessing Humphries will replace McCarron $$$ wise.

Vasiljevic be on decent money too.

If going 2 imports need to find a third starting level local player and a back up local big to Humphries.

Reply #937463 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

This is where WMW comes into it, he saves an import spot but if DJV and Humphries are marquee players an extra quality Australian player will take a lot cap space.

Reply #937469 | Report this post

NP  
Last month

If possible.
WMW/Cadee
DJV/Marshall
Cleveland
Wiley/Galloway
humphries

Reply #937472 | Report this post

Dave  
Last month

Pretty certain you won't see Wiley and Cleveland on the same squad.

Reply #937483 | Report this post

Spinner  
Last month

Why is that Dave?

Reply #937515 | Report this post

Dave  
Last month

Obviously I don't know anything really, but it has been pretty heavily implied that they don’t like each other.

Reply #937531 | Report this post

NP  
Last month

Then its Cleveland over Wiley for me. Need someone to defend the ball and to mask some of Humphries defence liabilities.

Reply #937532 | Report this post

NP  
Last month

Then its Cleveland over Wiley for me. Need someone to defend the ball and to mask some of Humphries defence liabilities.

Reply #937533 | Report this post

Dave  
Last month

I think DJV has specifically named him in interviews too. Reminds me of when Franks and Cleveland kept saying we need "someone like Ian Clark".

Reply #937534 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last month

Looking at the very old but slightly hilarious YouTube video 'Antonius Cleveland on Kai Sotto and Adelaide'
Its clear AC does not like post offense

My guess is AC is strictly 5 out iso style of offense.
In terms of his preferences of programs to go to.

so if AC still holds those views from that interview, he is not coming back to an Adelaide team where coach Ninnis is going to have a post presence like Humphries.

Reply #937537 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:34 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754