Damo 75
Last month

Taipans second import signed - Rob Edwards

Stats aren't everything, but last G-League season looks pretty unremarkable at 7.7, 2.1 and 1.

The final import and/or NS will need to be a gun, otherwise it might be a long season for Cairns fans.

Topic #52012 | Report this topic

Baller  
Last month

Damo75 the stats defentliy don't tell the story with this guy has been one of the strongest defensive players in the g league over recent seasons the fact he was called up and played for a strong thunder team is a good indicator he be a solid signing

Reply #941983 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Forde seems to rate him really highly in his press conference, says he will probably get most of the tough defensive assignments

Reply #941985 | Report this post

Bullets  
Last month

Both Qld teams looking very average thus far!

Is the strength of (lack of) the Australian dollar contributing to some of the hum-ho import signings?

Reply #941994 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

For Brisbane, their incompetence and desire to be cheap is largely contributing to an uninspiring roster.

Going to be an uninspiring season. I hold out hope they'll be somewhat watchable though if young Rocco continues his improvement and shows expansion in his development.

Reply #941997 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last month

Taipans will suck. They really need more cap space. It's a shame when Tassie is in a similar market but they get funded heaps by the league. It was only a matter of time Tassie would win since the league wanted to make a statement on expansion side.

Reply #942002 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

NBLTigers:

"It was only a matter of time Tassie would win since the league wanted to make a statement on expansion si wde."

Do you seriously think the JJs won the chip due to the league wanting to make a statement? Bit of a defensive statement.

Had more to do with a playing list buying into a damn strong culture, never backing down and winning without arrogance. The resources that MU and other teams have and had at their disposal is more than Tasmania who have come together within 3 years to win a championship

This was won by the franchise in Tasmania not the NBL - do not demean it.

Reply #942004 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

All true @ Scout except for one major point, JJs spent over 1 million more on there side than Cairns, you get a few extra good players for that money, plus LK actually funds it.

Reply #942008 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last month

How much did JJs spend in NBL22 when they made the GF in their debut year? Agree the extra money helped take them to the summit, but 95% of the mountain is made out of culture, work ethic and sound basketball strategy.

Secondly, the JackJumpers make a profit, so while LK initially pumped the money in, he isn't funding it any more.

Reply #942009 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

Well said Scout. My understanding is JJs are essentially funded from operating revenues anyway which includes very significant corporate support, membership, merchandise and games revenues. Not sure there is actually any owner/NBL funding but there is significant Tas Govt sponsorship/funding which is something LK negotiated as part of the licence. CF: the narrative of strong Govt support required for any further new franchise's. JJs actually contributing to other teams now through the luxury tax. Their success is also very much anchored in the recruiting genius of a master coach with fantastic support coaches and administrators who have developed talent no one else rated into superstars. McVeigh, MacDonald etc.

Reply #942010 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I said it was all true, just that in their championship year they spent over a million more than Cairns, JJs represent the state of Tasmania, Cairns represent Cairns with a population nearly quarter the size. You give Forde over three million and see what he can do. This is not having a go at the JJs, they have been excellent but you can't compare apples and oranges.

Reply #942011 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

What also might not be visible to other markets is that the JJs are the equivalent of a tier 1 professional sporting team in the Tas market. It is often said they are as big as an AFL team with massive main stream media coverage. Think front and back page of the daily newspapers, first sports story on commercial and ABC television news, multiple radio broadcast partners, etc. That is no small part in why they are able to generate the amount of support and revenues they do.

Reply #942012 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last month

"compare apples and oranges"

Nice pun there, Dunkman :D

Reply #942014 | Report this post

Apples and mangoes?

Reply #942015 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Dunkman .....have been on a flight back from Adelaide; during that time you seem to be having a conversation with yourself. When did I mention Cairns?

Fun being the hunted now! JJs have a culture that can not be paid for.

Reply #942020 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Nbl tigers mentioned Cairns and you responded to that, I agreed with your statement but pointed out the difference between JJs and Cairns.

Reply #942022 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

LK set up the Jack Jumpers fantastically with the agreements in place. That's not a bad thing, that’s a very positive thing.

Tasmania aren’t a budget club. I just wouldn’t call them a powerhouse when push comes to shove like Melbourne/Perth/Sydney.

Perth sides have been built on culture and defence and all that stuff historically. They also had lots of money and succeeded with both things aligning.

When you’re comparing to what a club like Cairns has to deal with, money does actually have been meaning and that’s a discrepancy even Tassie has over them.

To be honest just about every club has that advantage over them.

Reply #942028 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

Does actually have meaning**

Reply #942029 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Dunkman - I was responding to this:

"It was only a matter of time Tassie would win since the league wanted to make a statement on expansion side."

The JJs have sold out since day one, make a profit, premium sponsors, have the whole state on board - this quote demeans what they have done within 3 years.

They were and are able to make money as they make money. As a Tasmanian I also am a critic at times as there is a need for courts in the state as kids and all hoopers do not have anywhere to play and they are getting govt $s for a high performance centre local courts needed first.

This is a thread about Cairns new import (and I will pull my head in), I respect the Taipans as another regional team and hope Edwards is a gun but I was reacting to that quote and that quote only.

Reply #942036 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Ok, as you say, I'll pull my head in as well, hopefully Cairns can get a bit more financial power.

Reply #942042 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

Dunkman that's not overly accurate Larry kestleman owns the jack jumpers but he certainly doesn’t provide the bulk of funding, they receive 3 million a year in funding from the Tasmanian government to help run the team, and they basically get free usage of the stadium hence why he is in no hurry to sell the team as it’s costing him very little it’s a asset that’s going up in value buy the season

Reply #942047 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

@ Baller. As I said previously, JJs and Cairns is like apples and oranges, the point I was making in response to above being critical of Cairns, no comparison.

Reply #942048 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

Don't disagree with what you’re saying I would like to see the nbl have a hard salary cap every club spends the same but raise it to a reasonable level

Reply #942050 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:14 am, Mon 17 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754