Champ
Years ago

Phillips Signs with Lightning!!

Awesome to hear that Phillips has agreed to terms and now has signed a contract with Adelaide. Can't believe Boti Nagy hasn't printed it yet. She signed Monday!

Good to see the Lightning Marketting Guru's getting the press release out and doing her part for the Lightning and for Women's Basketball!! Hmmm!!

Topic #7109 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The signing has only just been confirmed by the WNBL and until that point it couldn't be officially announced.

Lightning guard Erin Phillips will return to the Adelaide Lightning for the WNBL 2006/07 season after her season with the WNBA's Connecticut Sun.

But her Lightning, Opals and Sun team-mate Laura Summerton may pursue opportunities in Europe during the WNBL season.

"We're in discussions with Laura and she has agreed to sign with Adelaide," Lightning coach Chris Lucas said. "But the contract will include a European 'out clause' because she does want to see what her options are there.

"We're very happy to report Erin has agreed to terms for the season."

She was heavily courted by reigning champion Canberra which has lost megastar Lauren Jackson to Korea next season and is busily trying to buy another championship team.
More on the Fellas/Lightning site

Reply #79687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit of a dig there at canberra in the last paragraph you quoted isaac, buy another championship team ????

Reply #79701 | Report this post

Humphrey  
Years ago

'heavily courted by Canberra'... interesting Canberra didn't know much about it. They're already solid in the guard positions and don't think she will be a loss to them. Staying is better off for her and Adelaide me thinks... Besides, she does appear to like the big fish small pond scenario... hopefully the WNBA helps her to expand her horizons!

Reply #79714 | Report this post

Wild Child  
Years ago

so the team to date is as follows:
Duke
Foley
King
Phillips
Summerton
Smith
Woosnam

starting 5 players would be phillips, summerton, smith, woosnam?

perhaps they could add:

Randford
D Smith from Perth
N Lindsay from Sydney

and they will be reasonable team.

Reply #79724 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

awesome news for the lightning

Reply #79747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

last time i checked Laura hadn't agreed to anythink. correct me if i'm wrong - perhaps someone that knows her really well could enlighten us?

Reply #79796 | Report this post

laura will play in adelaide in no decent overseas offers come forth- i would imagine a lot will hinge on what sort of season she has in teh W

Boti has reported the thing on erin signing 2-3 weeks ago in the addie

Reply #79962 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754