Ian
Years ago

Southern Challenge

Is Sturt going to enter a Div 2 team AGAIN this year so that they can win another piece of plastic or will they leave it for the teams that don't compete in state champs or classics or is it just that Sturt need to win everything including a Div 4/5 carnival

Topic #7250 | Report this topic

woodville balla  
Years ago

can div 3 teams enter. they didnt compete in state champs this year, it seems fair if they did

Reply #81455 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

I dont know about that there is usually two grades I don't know who the coordinator is this year you would have to ring the club

Reply #81456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there even going to be a Southern Challenge this year!?

No more Balfour no Challenge ...

Reply #81463 | Report this post

woftam  
Years ago

Sturt boys under 10's won the under 14 carnival last year. Yet another quality event held by southern. Petrol is too expensive to bother going there this year. Plus ya lucky if ya car is still in the car park when you come out frozen. A bit like their ABA team - stiff

Reply #81477 | Report this post

fed up  
Years ago

I debated wether or not to reply to this blatent crap from woftam but here goes- Southern Challenge this year is a mini-ball comp with the club maybe looking to do a carnival at another time in the year. And sorry, but not having Jason there doesnt mean a thing, we have a Stadium Mgr with ideas and who is getting involved daily with improving things at our club and stadium. All the crap thrown at us only makes the people involved more determined to shut up the wankers who continue to taunt our club and whose knowledge of what is really going on behind the scenes is equal to squat. So sorry u have to be cold in our stadium, wear a thick coat perhaps, but we are not alone there. As for you car still being there, grow a brain and start to move your thinking from the gutter. Its people like you who I know keep this forum humming but keep to facts and stop sledging decent people whose main concern is to get basketball moving forward.
Well there is my spray for the day so now I'll do some shopping and spend this arvo watching some great BBall. Gee that feels better lol.

Reply #81482 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

well said Fedup.at least you can get a park close to our front door .all clubs cant be blessed with BORROWING a new stadium.I may just join you at tiger land today

Reply #81491 | Report this post

woftam  
Years ago

Good on ya fed up and Ian - people in general are fed of the vested self interest of you and your club and the bickering and power struggles within it. What an absolute waste - you guys have a huge area to develop and ..........

You are right - the less said about the better ...... thats fact - hopefully you get ya act together as a club because we need strong comps in all grades. Good luck from the northern wonder. I can see your club going where ours is.

Reply #81498 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Woftam

"I can see your club going where ours is"

Sorry I can't.

Did Centrals have 6 sides make the top four at the states this year?

Doubt it.

Reply #81528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who wants to play at Southern. Home town reffs means you start 10 points down.

Reply #81554 | Report this post

53 bottles  
Years ago

Ha ha, is woftam from centrals??!! No really, he has heaps of credibility!!! Does he even know what a win looks like?

You are whinging about your car being safe in Morphett Vale when many of the Centrals people are from Elizabeth and Salisbury.. Good call genius, well done.

Reply #81558 | Report this post

fed up  
Years ago

Gee Anon, how original Home town refs makes u start 10 pts down. Are you that blinkered that its not similar wherever you go? I wouldnt say there arent good and bad at each stadium but sometimes its hard to take when the bias is soooooooooo obvious and gee you cop that at Pt Adel and Mars esp. BTW you also annoy me as my child is umpiring there and the standard is slowly but surely on the improve and we have some good experienced refs also coming back too so the younger ones have someone to look up to. But hey, join the bloody list of people that dont want to anything but have a go at us. Its keeps our blood boiling and our determination firing! You cant get rid of us that easily.

Reply #81572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, out of those 6 sides who made the top 4, how many made the Grand Final?

And I guess you aren't mentioning the fact that Southern didn't get one single point in the Reserves last weekend.

Seems like things are going great.

Reply #81573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fed up, You will get rid of yourselves by self destruction!

Reply #81579 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Another Southern Bashing
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ If its not Southern then its ref's. Come on guys lets start talking about more relevant topics like What a great job Basketball SA has done this year for State Champs. Well Done Arnie and Colin. Hats off to ya's all

Reply #81580 | Report this post

fed up  
Years ago

Yes Phantom it has been a great job and well done to all concerned at Basketball SA. Unfortunately the crap goes on and it seems some people will always just need to slag off at Southern and not give some credit to us who want to move forward. Guess life would be pretty boring if we all held the same views but many out there obviously cant help themselves and hold grudges I expect. Sorry to the idiot who hides behind Anon (like soooo many others) we aint going anywhere but upwards and if the steps are small so be it, we are making them. Get off our back and your hand off your ....... lol

Reply #81588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha!
I find it incredibly amusing that Southern come on here to "defend" themselves on threads like this ...... when it was started by a Southern person....... and it was abusing another club!!

I'm sure Sturt, and other clubs, will keep their registration money - money that Southern could sure use!! GREAT way to promote a tournament!! Southern, gotta love 'em!!

Does your junior vice-president even "believe in the concept" of a Southern challenge?

Reply #81611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is so funny!

Reply #81687 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

TRUE Basketball supporters only ever try to beat their opponents on the court not in threads .yes I started this thread but it was for Honest opinion not for another southern bashing.People who hide behind being anonymous are very small individuals I am quite happy to put my name up and be counted as I have nothing to hide I was also quite vocal about sturts involvement in last years challenge at the time If you don't want to play then don't but I am sure that you don't make the important decisions in your club.I am happy with what ever decisions our club make.Tall poppy syndrome will get you in the end.

Reply #81748 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Honest opinion my ass!!! You were slagging off about Sturt entering a carnival. How can you be after an "Honest Opinion" when you never ask a question?

It is all a mute point anyway as it is not happening as a district carnival.

Maybe if your Club had any communication skills whatsoever you, as a loyal follower, would know this.

Tell me this - as an honest opinion - how does your Stadium Manager intend on filling a carnival of mini-ball teams when he can't even fill an after school competition?

Reply #81759 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

BMG = BIG MOUTHED GIT?

Reply #81857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ian, What an intelligent reply!! What else would we expect fom the trash down at southern.

Reply #81874 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Oh well, when you don't have a real answer resort to an insult.

Reply #81888 | Report this post

Woftam  
Years ago

Woftam here.
To the centrals clown up above # 81558 - I have credibility all be it 30 years ago. Have you won a 14 nationals, captained the state in under age. Won state champs, won at nunawading numerous times, been coached by the best juniour coach still around for years.

It is about time basketball in this state took a positive outlook and encourage the best level of competition and this site should be promoting positive feedback and encouragement for our kids no matter who they play for.

When are you lower clubs gonna take your head out of your asses and see that that by playing against better teams and getting your kids to strive to do better then the better the game will become for everyone.

Instead, what we get is the lower clubs trying to drag everyone back to them - mediocracy brings death eventually and this is exactly what is happening to our great game - being killed by self vested intrest of low lying clubs with little or no management skills. There are heaps of good people out there, by gee there is, but some running the clubs need to have a good look at themselves - for basketballs sake.

Reply #81911 | Report this post

Evolution  
Years ago

Wotfam, I nominate you for the Charles Darwin awards. Do you know what you have to do to yourself if you win? You have acheived so much as a kid, 30 yrs ago. How many people did play back then??? Thats like saying I made the state bocce team last year.

I have read your posts for sometime and you are an embarassment and an ignorant little old man.

Reply #81916 | Report this post

Evolution  
Years ago

To : #81558,

I beleive Wotfam is from Sturt.

Reply #81918 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

well lets how many times have we been abused on here .if you cant take a little back from time to time don't reply.if you look up the question was asked and there was only criticism at the fact of entering a far superior team in a carnival designed for lower grades that don't compete in the classics and state champs.I don't take anything away from Sturt becoming state champs again but in saying that they should not take the lower grade carnival from players who are trying to improve their game.Well done Sturt for becoming state champs .any team being thumped by a bigger and stronger team in such events only opens the door for less players in the game and after all we are there for the improvement of the game aren't??????????

Reply #81933 | Report this post

Froggy  
Years ago

Thats the attitude we expect from you Ian. We wont waste any more time on this. We'll flush it were it belongs.

I know woftam and he's not sturt now Evolution. - in his junior days - yes.

I actually play bocce in the hills -good game. Mafia are nice guys. Maybe evolution I'll introduce them to you one day. They like the old days. People then were sincere, loving, caring, interested in others

Winners are grinners and you losers - please yourselves.

Evolution read the oxford dictionary for the real meaning of the word and I think it will fit.

Note the bit about the inferior complex and if you cannot handle the facts don't call it abuse or insults - although I don't expect you to. My buddy woftam loves his basketball and I think you know Ian and Evo what that stands for - rather relevant to you guys.

The Frog is ending the discussion now but having just moved here permanently from Vic it would be good to see some positive stuff on here from now. Winners are positive, loseres are negative.

Become winners Evo and Ian and it is amazing how your attitudes will change for the better and you will smile again - cold or not.

Reply #81936 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

pickles housemate here.
To WOFTAM clown up above # 81911 - I have credibility all be it now. Have you lived in the past? YES YOU HAVE.

Basketball in this state WOULD take a positive outlook and encourage the best level of competition if clown's like you actually thought about the need to comment on every little thing.

This site DOES promote positive feedback and encouragement, but clowns like you like to discriminate against clubs you think are worse than ours. This makes you a hypocrite, as you are demeaning the value of Southern and other (in your opinion) LOWER clubs. This is evidence by teh statement "When are you lower clubs gonna take your head out of your asses..."

"mediocracy" doesn't bring death - poor spelling does.

Our great game - is being killed by self vested interests (not intrests!!!) of low lying clubs with little or no management skills. So step up WOFTAM - tell us what you contribute to your club? How have you made a difference?

I played juniors at NCT.
I have coached at the club.
I've never won a State C/ship.
- but (IMO)that doesn't make me a lesser person. I also don't sledge other clubs. (people = yes, but not clubs.)

There are heaps of good people at Southern, and like any club, there are some "naysayers" (Check the dictionary).

Let's let it slide. ;)

Reply #81942 | Report this post

Woftam  
Years ago

I started off having a bit of fun, had a bite from a fish or 2 but the big guns have come out now.

Pickles housemate, - never won a state champ or nationals. Would not have a clue what it was like then.

I suppose that can explain it.

Its at this point then that I apolologise (that ones on purpose) and realize with that history that it is not you or your clubs fault.

Now you will take that as an insult because you look at the negative - r u a teacher ?

I think it is great that you have passion and a love for your club, but please learn not to take every comment made not only by me but others in the same downward way every time. Chips are to be eaten.

Froggy my good returned mate from the east cannot believe what has happened to our great game here in SA over the past 5 years - he played NBL, so he has cred - He, like I and more importantly the people at sturt no doubt 8 years ago, got off their backside after listening to others and now they get canned for the success they now have because of the hard yards they put in over that time.

Dare to be a different pickle down there in the house and you may be amazed at what can happen. I too have read many of your posts in the past and even agree with some of the things you say on some things. Because I dont on others doesn't mean I'm sledging - be objective.

We need nothing more for the betterment of SA b'ball than a vibrant southern and northern region- spend more time out there than on here.

Turn every negative to a positive.

Reply #81958 | Report this post

Woftam  
Years ago

By the way hope your junior carnival is a success

Reply #81959 | Report this post

53 bottles  
Years ago

Woftam it is interesting how at the begining of the post you started sledging southern and by the end of it, you were wishing the carnival to be a success.. Do you have a split personality or did you realise that you sounded like a bit of a knob at the start of the thread?

Reply #81965 | Report this post

Froggy  
Years ago

53 bottles - you do not understand - even though you r going to run a second rate carnival in the interests of basketball for you guyz we hope it is a success. I will take this opportunity to suggest to you that you personally still have not taken it out (your head). Read earlier.
Do not fall off the wall or you will only have 52 of you. Have another beer. My keg cousins just got here and I no longer have any inclination to waste my eastern sea board mentallity on some southern way of life - that is not a sledge, or an insult - just a statement about freedom of speech and the fact I do not have to look at this post any more.

Catch u up later in the week woftam for a beer. Your buddy the frog

I expect to catch a shark soon.

goodbye

Reply #81981 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Dear WOFTAM,

Yes - I am a teacher. Are you?

I have played in State Champs.

Even being a teacher, I struggle to see what positive comments you were making in your last post. (An afterthought is just that - Carnival comment doesn't count).

In my job, i find a hell of a lot of positives.

Some of your coments in the past:
"City South - Why Bother?" (#60912)
south did not get involved... How stupid are they."

"City South - Why Bother?" (#60912)
...We were one of many to leave the ferrals, we want more than our kids to be taught how to play a zone...

"Southern Walkout?" (#78382)
"Southern and Woodville are loseres and quite frankly who really cares"

I believe i've stumbled upon a few negatives from you. I put the titles there so people can see the context of your statements and make up their own minds.

Now, can i ask - are you still at Mavericks, or now with Sturt?

re: Eastern Mavericks (#58566)
"MAVS SHOULD JUST BE A FEEDER TEAM FOR STURTS DIV 2 and 3 TEAMS" posted 11/11/05

re: Junior Finals (#73713)
"I'm a mad mav man and the way sturt cremated us... ...so that will leave the 2 of us to push the blue boyz" 14/03/06

PS - Being a Scholar, I've chosen a quote that's particularly fitting:

"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free"
John 8:32

Reply #81996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wotfam and Frogger, get a room why dont ya tools.

Reply #82031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woftam,

I don't think Sturt are being canned for getting off their backsides and being successful. In fact when I was watching last years U14 Nationals final I was supporting them over any Vic or other team. What people get annoyed with is the arrogance and the belittling attitude of some people in some way or other associated with the club. Usually they are people not in "official positions" but the club's reputation is tainted by these clowns eg the debate over the fabulous four fathers at the U 14 girls.

Sure some clubs have individuals who put their interests first and think they are bigger than the club. However, all clubs would not survive without the support of volunteers; the clubs are the people. By personally attacking these clubs you are attacking the people and ridiculing them.

I am not from one of the clubs which seem to be at the wrong end of the stick from many posters but cringe at some of the comments being made about them. I cannot see how that in any way benefits that club, your club or BSA.

Like many of the posts from reputable Sturt officials - be constructive not destructive.

To those individuals from clubs being attacked - don't bite. The posts will quickly pass away.

Reply #82046 | Report this post

evolution  
Years ago

82046, excellent points.

I actually think the wotfam is been more detrimental to his own clubs (Sturts) reputation than anyone elses. The guy is just an embarrasment.

Reply #82047 | Report this post

Hillbilly  
Years ago

Oh woftam, woftam, woftam you have sucked em in again our southern cousins. When r u guys gonna realize he baites you and stirs your emotions, then he laughs at you as you wallow in self destruction.

He honestly does not care what you think. I will give you a tip - ignore him - he will disappear.

Woftam, to you my friend behave yourself.

Hope to see you up the hill again soon for a coldy and a good chat.

Go The Mavs

Reply #82049 | Report this post

Hillbilly  
Years ago

Oh woftam, woftam, woftam you have sucked em in again our southern cousins. When r u guys gonna realize he baites you and stirs your emotions, then he laughs at you as you wallow in self destruction.

He honestly does not care what you think. I will give you a tip - ignore him - he will disappear.

Woftam, to you my friend behave yourself.

Hope to see you up the hill again soon for a coldy and a good chat.

Go The Mavs

Reply #82050 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

To Hillbilly

"Southern wallow in self destruction"

Will you guys be around next year or will you have merged with Sturt.

For the record.

2006 State Championships

Southern equal 2nd in the Boys
Southern equal 4th in the Girls.

7 of the 10 sides made the top 4 on the weekend.

Best result in years for the Club.

Yep looks like we are self destructing!!

See you and Woftam at the Classics if you had any sides that made it.

Reply #82376 | Report this post

southern  
Years ago

Hey Smith,

Hows things going now? How were you State Champs this year. You shouldn't talk too soon.!!

Reply #160557 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 pm, Sun 5 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754