Anonymous
Years ago

State teams - A hypothetical

Just a hypothetical, would coaches of junior state teams (or even the Academy) ever consider a primarily defensive player for their teams? By this I mean someone who is not that polished on offense, but has the required athleticism and size for their position and is a defensive stopper? Like a major stopper I mean, capable of shutting the other team's top guy out of the game? Would having one guy like this (effort, hustle, intensity etc) have any value at that level?

Topic #7569 | Report this topic

choco to baghdad  
Years ago

any good coach would for sure

BUT current trends seem far from this - i have noticed in the girls they all seem to want runners that score inside for sure points

but you definitely want a keeper - however you would look towards a specific player/s to match up with

Reply #84993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Country had a stopper in Canberra last year and he was a very good player and added much value to the Country boys. He was not a " Cabbage " in offense but his primary role was getting the best one or two guards and keeping them quiet.

I think his name was Byrne. Good kid, good player.

Most Coaches would not be beyond thinking of taking one, but as the previeous post mentioned, the trend is to take scorers.

Reply #84997 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

And with that trend towards taking scorers, someone like this top level defender would be a definite asset to the team.

Reply #84999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you look at the Academy team from this year Tom rowe is the only defensive first player, any full strength side (ABA) would demolish the Academy team, because they can't play defense very well.

Reply #85007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pick well rounded players players, Pick a balanced team, thats what I say!!

Damon Byrne from Bendigo is the name of the so called "stopper" that played for Vic Country last year in the U16's.

He can play at both ends of the floor, just does not have a great jump shot yet so he chose to get the ball to others most of the time. Having said that he did score 22 points against NSW Metro.

Reply #85213 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754