Felton Spencer
Years ago

Academy Selections

With all this talk of Halls / Woolacott, it got me thinking of which players are likely to be selected for the academy at the end of this season...

AFAIK, positions are
"Selected based on skill and athleticism, body type, maturity, coachability, understanding and knowledge of the game, work ethic and determination, sportsmanship, playing position, and a willingness to learn and improve."

I was just wanting to know whether perfoemnaces this ABL season are the only factor to take into account during the slection process. Also, is it only ABL coaches who have a say in who is chosen?

For example, Gerlach deserves a spot based on talent and the promise shown in past years. However, he has only played a handful of games this saeson. Would therfore someone like Braithwaite be chosen before him?

No doubt Gerlach is a better player but Braithwaite is leading the team in scoring and has played all games for the Tigers.

Furthermore, will someone like Mark Paget even though he very rarely hits the court on Saturday nights.

Surely there are going to be some changes made to the team, as it would most likely include Molitor and exclude players who have failed to put up numbers this year such as Mapunda, Reeves and Gange...?

Interested to hear other's opinions and any information on the general recruitment process.

Topic #7719 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

i don't think there is much of a process. It's just what players are good that Belly and KB have seen.

Be young, play well against west or woodville and your in.

that's about it isn't it?

Reply #86658 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I don't think performances really matter that much. More so ability to improve and a reputation, as always, helps

Reply #86663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best chances would be:

Central
Clausen

North
Zorich, Burdon, Rowe, J.Kies, Boyd

West
Zacharjak, Molitor, Craddock, Spadavecchia

Woodville
Mapunda, Birmingham

Sturt
Dodman, Paget

Forestville
Sutton, Gange

Eastern
Bungey, Madgen

South
???????

Norwood
Grantham, Papendieck

Southern
Gerlach, Braithwaite, Lalic

Reply #86671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#86658,
To suggest what you are shows that either 1) you are trying to be funny or 2) you are a f.....g idiot.
If its the 1st, then I apologise for not seeing the humour and if its the 2nd, I guess belittling the efforts of people like Breheny, Ninnis, Brooks, Castle and Bell makes you an expert on the matter and must makes you the obvious choice to be the Academy's next Head Coach!

Reply #86675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#86671........

A number of your selections will likely be in USA Colleges within 4-7 weeks! Theres more talent than that in the clubs to consider and some you listed have had their chances and/or are peforming well, and/or should be excluded, imo, if current or past 6rs squad members, so time for a clean new broom maybe as well in the academy.

Reply #86684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Belly has never been involved in selections.
Coaching staff select academy based on recommendations from club coaches.

Reply #86686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the guys going to college? I've heard Madgen is.

Reply #86701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the guys going to college? I've heard Madgen is.

Reply #86702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#86675) - i couldn't be head coach, because i coach for player and personal development, not as my job.

Reply #86705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

okay guys lets be serious here...no way to mapunda...he doesnt perform all that well. hows about birmingham and pascoe??

Reply #86712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for south why hasnt anyone nominated lucas smith?? or tom mackenzie..

Reply #86713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lucas is getting on a bit isnt he? 24? 25? whats the age limit for the academy?

Reply #86714 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Lucas too old and TMac should be looked at but he has been there before (twice), maybe they want to move on to players they haven't had yet, or maybe he might get a 3rd gig. Also a little guy called Neil for South when he gets back from O/S should be seriously looked at, as well as another guy called Sam (not sure his last name, plays 18 1s I think). That's South's position I reckon. Oh, and Jeremy Reid

Reply #86725 | Report this post

Felton Spencer  
Years ago

My list:

Centrals
Clausen

Eastern
If Madgen is going to college, probably, then just Bungey

Forestville
Sutton
Gange

North
Burdon
Rowe
- Zorich is looking to play college as well

Norwood
Webber - (Grantham and Papendieck off to college)

South
McKenzie

Southern
Lalic
Braithwaite

Sturt
Dodman

West
Craddock
Molitior
Spadavecchia

Woodville
Willis
Burmingham or Pascoe - can't have both because they play the same position and are very similar to others in th team such as Gange, Craddock and Braithwaite.

Reply #86727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely with making one emus tour, Trent Fildes for Forestville should make th acadamy! He doesn't play ABL due to maybe going to college, but this should not rob him of a place in the acadamy!

Reply #86728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

heard that rowe is also off to college

Reply #86746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clausen is off to college aswell

Reply #86753 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 pm, Mon 6 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754