???
Years ago

Junior Div 1 Program

I have just noticed that the "traditional" starting times for Div 1 Friday night games seem to be brought forward by approx 1 hour for U14-U18 with U12s slotted in all over the place.

Is there some logic to this change?
Did BASA impose it on the clubs? (Even though BASA is the clubs)
How many U14 coaches may now struggle to coach due to work requirements and not being able to get to games 1 hour earlier than normal. (Perhaps needing to get away from work at 4:30 not 5:30)

Topic #860 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

To be honest with you - I think this is the way to go. Change is not easy and U12s have kicked off 'div 1 nights' for quite some time now. Generally it has been U20s that have been put wherever they fit.

The U20 comp has been a little poor in recent years. I think putting it back at 9:45 on a div 1 night may restore some kind of prestige to the competition. It should be seen as the pinnacle of a juniors career, but that's difficult when the rest of their Club (IE - the rest of their div 1s) are at an entirely different venue. An U14 who would hang around a stadium would finish the night seeing the U18s play and aspire to that, now they will see the U20s as the biggest & best. Hopefully this will in some way contribute to restoring the U20 competition.

Reply #9340 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

I accept your point. But what will U12's aspire to now. As they are starting out in their basketball wouldn't it be better to make them feel more part of the club and let them see other games, even though it stops at U18s

Reply #9343 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I guess it's a catch 22. I understand where you're coming from too.

Personally, I'd rather a div 1 night be 14s, 16s, 18s, 20s.

It would also seem that the U12s are playing at the same venue as other div 1 sides wherever possible. I think that is a smart move, for the reason you've stated above.

Reply #9348 | Report this post

Fish  
Years ago

Back in my younger days it was set up perfectly.

6pm u/12
7pm u/14
8:15pm u/16
9:45pm u/18
and the 20's were slotted in.

Boys and girls, team A vs team B, all night long.
You could go to a venue, eg. Hillcrest, and watch North vs. West all night. I don't know why they would have ditched that. Now it's all over the place...

Reply #9351 | Report this post

Fabio  
Years ago

It's time to scrap under 20's. Half of them don't even rock up anyway. If there not playing reserves or ABL by 20's then they should be playing div 3 men or below.
It's a joke! Under 12's are way more important to the future of the game.

U12, U14, U16 and U18 should be the order.

PS I'm the most beautiful man in the cosmos

Reply #9352 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Under 20's when everyone plays brings atmosphere but realistically 20's hardly ever play and nobody watches as they all drive themselves. 12s 14s 16s and 18s for me. To those clubs that dont have more than 2 courts will play away from the rest of the group and also usually have the same family members playing after each other. I hope they revert back to normal for the main season.

Reply #9356 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

I agree with Hoop.

I think its going to be really good for the U20/21 comps. I think the previous way alienated the U20/21s which I think is one reason why its such a mess with less players etc. I think having the U20/21s with the rest will make them feel more like they are apart of their club (as they should after presumably being with the club for a number of years!) and not just there to fill numbers, and a great way to finish their junior career off. They are the oldest group and are the ones that the younger age groups look up to.

With under 12s we're talking about 10 year old kids ... I'm sure anyone bigger then them they could aspire to be like!Any stadium they go to they will still have games and be able to give them inspiration to be the best they can be. Personally I've found that the U12s are set apart from the rest of the group anyway. By the time kids of that age finish they're games its pretty much bed time for them and I hardly ever see any U12 kids/parents stick around.

Reply #9389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where can a copy of div 1 programs be found, on the internet?

Reply #9394 | Report this post

sexual paul rees  
Years ago

Get rid of under 20's? It's the perfect league to scout for potential senoirs players, because the majority of players are thru puberty and have stopped growing, etc. And also, its a fun league. Im in favour of that u23 league that was breifly tossed up. but knowing basa, that wont happen.

Reply #9400 | Report this post

Cheezeburger  
Years ago

good call sexual paul rees.i agree but the soft players coming up to u20's mens wont, cause they wont be able to cut in that league and deal with the low post wars and general 1%ers..

the king of scrap lives on...

Reply #9406 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

what up with the under 20 div2 programs? cant seem to find it anywhere??? little help

Reply #9472 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

sorry, this should have been in the other programs section. my bad

Reply #9475 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:41 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754