Anonymous
Years ago

Why is West Adelaide Called West Adelaide?

This is stupid coming from a SANFL background why is a team based in the heart of Port Adelaide called the West Adelaide Bearcats with the colours red and black. Common Sense should prevail and they should change there name to the Port Adelaide Magpies and be black and white!

Topic #8831 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I totally Agree....

North Adelaide- Red and White
Norwood- Red and Navy
Sturt- Blue and Navy
Centrals- Blue white and red

(Mod: Same IP as above, same computer... make your point and let it stand on its own two feet. If it's reasonable, it will survive without being artificially propped up by you agreeing with yourself two minutes after starting the topic.)

Reply #99391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good catch Isaac.

Reply #99395 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

pwned

Reply #99396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't West Adelaide used to play out of Apollo in Richmond, the same place as West Adelaide Footy Club.

Reply #99397 | Report this post

yes west was the only district team out west to start

and around bowden / apollo - hence west - red and black

then woodville

west torrens was around and I think they became forrestville - hence blue and gold

would you believe there actually was a port adelaide district club many years ago (late 60s / early 70s) they (from memeory) only played lower grades "metro" they wore collingwood style black and white stiped tops

southern tiggers - were they an off shoot of glenelg basketball club as well - hence black and gold before southern amalgamation

Reply #99400 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

Port Adelaide Telstars were black and white

west is over 50 years old and were in existence well before apollo was even dreamed of.

Reply #99418 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

It was back in the prehistoric days when anyone that lived around Bowden dressed as 'Emos' in all black.
During this time the only animals that were edible were creatures known as Bearcats.
These were feral little creatures with a 'distinctive' (notice the association??) taste. After a feral feast the 'Emos' would have blood on their clothes because they were such messy eaters. Hence the colours Black/Red.

Reply #99420 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

West also won a NBL flag in their own right, intil your club Sturty6ers who try to run the 36ers. Yes, you got a bite.

Reply #99447 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Sorry, should have checked prior to 'post'. Pls change 'intil' to unlike

Reply #99448 | Report this post

Struth  
Years ago

I started out with "West Torrens" (as well as when they became Forestville)in 1971 at the old Forestville stadium in under 12's with Jim Maddigan as coach and we played against West Adelaide at the Bowden stadium!! That was certainly a long time ago!

Reply #99452 | Report this post

moose  
Years ago

Ahhh, them were the days.
I can remember when I started playing for South in the late 50's.
Only Forestville Stadium existed then. Most of the teams took footy club names. We all trained at Forestville. North were at one end of the court whilst South trained at the other.
From memory the 8 clubs were;
South Adelaide
North Adelaide
West Adelaide
West Torrens
Sturt (not the fore runner of today's Sturt which was originally the United Church club)
Glenelg
YMCA
Vytis (Lithuanian Club)

There was also a strong Association playing at the OBI.
A merger took place in 1960. Games were played at Forestville as the District comp.
Budapest and ALS (Latvian Club) from the OBI joined the District grade along with Norwood who replaced Glenelg.
Interestingly, the 1960 Australian Olympic team also played in the comp that year. All the players transferred to Adelaide prior to the Olympics and played each team as part of their training.
As I said, them were the days.

Reply #99516 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

I maybe wrong I think West Adelaide was started by people from the Port Adelaide basketball club or the other way around. Not sure which way now?

Reply #99531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YES BUT STILL THEY LIVE IN PORT ADELAIDE!!!!!

THEY SHOULD BE BLACK AND WHITE

Reply #99567 | Report this post

bruising only  
Years ago

those were they days moose - court 1 at forestville - the only timber court - cement on court 2 with the adjusted sideline - because of no clearnce to throw it in due to the back of court 1s grand stand !

now to take a charge on cement - woah!

Reply #99570 | Report this post

bruising only  
Years ago

i also seem to remember a west adelaide van or wagon sponsored by ?? smiths car dealership getting around - i'm talking 25-30 years ago

Reply #99571 | Report this post

Axeman  
Years ago

The name "West Adelaide" is still relevant today as Pt Adelaide is officially in the western suburbs.

Reply #99606 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:21 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754