Listen Please
Years ago

Punishing the 1st Years

I have just recently become a 2nd year and have had to deal with a hell of a belting as a first year div 1.
Do 2nd year players deliberately target first years and rough it up with them?

Topic #907 | Report this topic

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

You must be talking juniors? Older/bigger kids always pick on the younger/smaller kids. Only because they were frustrated 1st year players. ;)

Reply #9960 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

it would depend on who u played for i think. as a second year last season, ya always get stuck in to the first years, just like what im getting now as a first yr under 20. friendly fire. nothing to hurt them or nothing, just a little to toughen them up for the year. its pointless if u go out to hurt them. really it should just be some biff between mates. dont worry bout it

Reply #9973 | Report this post

mighty umpire god  
Years ago

Toughen them up, let them know what it's going to be like for them in real games.

Reply #9980 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

"Listen Please", do you have any aspirations of playing ABL? If your whinging now, wait until you go up against the "real" players (if you get there). There are teams that will beat the crap out of you, no matter how old you are.

Until then, it's best to work on your strength and be prepared for the bangs, cos it's not going to change, unless you have a body like Jason Joynes or Chris Blakemore.

The other side of it is that you are prompting them to do it. If that is the case (and you want it to stop), stop being an idiot on the court, simple.

Reply #9996 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

its a general thing that has to happen, as a second year myself now.theres no easy buckets this year 1st years.

king of scrap lives on...

Reply #10014 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

"Listen Please"

Forget the 2nd years, just wait till you suit up against Panther. My advice is to fake an injury - the safest place will be on the bench. :)

Reply #10051 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

whos this mysteriuos panther u speak of.

Reply #10054 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

If u were a good player it wouldnt matter, u could just go out and whoop some ass. The difference in age does not really matter in juniors as it is only 1 year, age difference starts to take effect in ABL. If second years are roughing u cos u are a first year, WTF dont u give it back to them?

Reply #10075 | Report this post

ask for another  
Years ago

if you take a hit just ask for another. it shows toughness.

u need toughness. all u gotta do is scrap on every loose ball and play tough

Reply #10081 | Report this post

Listen Please  
Years ago

OK everyone. I dont think anyone understood exactly what i was asking. Has any 2nd years out there deliberately targeted 1st years for the mere fact that they are 1st years. Because they now that they are not as strong or physically capible to take it.

Reply #10314 | Report this post

Dr Evil  
Years ago

Hell Yes!! Sure there are many players who have deliberately tested out the 1st years in many interesting ways, and do it all year long ... both in thier own club/team and especially when you play other teams with a lot of 1st years (fun to watch their faces go "oooohhhh, this is hard, they dont like me, fear in their eyes").

And dont worry, the 2nd years also test each other out. For crying out loud thats a fcat of any competitive sport.

Worried about it?? Don't play, stay a mummys lil boy or girl, keep sucking your dummy and change your nappies while at knitting classes!!

Otherwise grow up, enter the real world, get tough mentally and be physically hard and scrap and fight for every ball that comes your way. Then others will change their perception of you, and maybe they find it hard to put you off your game, or give up all together. Suddenly they realise THEY have forgotten about the ball and now you have it; lmao, hohoho!!

(PS Outright dirty play is NOT acceptable ever; those people deserve long/life bans; this thread is about toughness, riding the bumps and subtle hits as others above have also talked about).

Reply #10329 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

whos [removed]? n who does he play for?

{mod: he played for South ABL; disclosing his anonymity is up to him}

Reply #10423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeh we do target the 1st years as they are an easy target. but we also do it t otoughen them up for the next year

Reply #10484 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:04 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754