Anonymous
Years ago

an u10 record?

see there was a 114 - 0 result in u10s - that would have to be a record to my knowledge.

for an u10 team to score 114 is a fanatastic effort

Topic #9198 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

And that was an U10 girls team too.

Reply #103910 | Report this post

bubble wrap  
Years ago

who were the teams.. Would have been a really exciting game to watch I'm sure

Reply #103915 | Report this post

The Worm  
Years ago

Probably not a record. Remember a kid scoring 70plus by himself once in u10s.

Reply #103922 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Was that a bunch of 9yo playing a bunch of 6y0? That's a bit ridiculous. Shouldn't happen at htat level, puts people off playing, especially if it is happening every week.

Reply #103959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the record, most of the girls were 7year olds and it was a case of two very different clubs and their philosophies coming together. ie one that will only take the better players and one who doesn't turn anyone away. That combination makes for the bad result especially for the five little girls from club that gives all a fair go having to endure such a loss. Some clubs need to re-assess why being exclusive and only wanting the best players for their club is the only way to go.

Reply #103964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel sorry for the girls who lost. I think that it is disgusting that sturt will not give any boy or girl oppertunity to play basketball. The city south competition is an absolute joke. It holds all of the players back from being able to progress further in their basketball career. Basketbal SA should open up the junior competetion to accomodate all children who want to play by not restricting the amount of divisions and/or teams.

Reply #103966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt give more players in South Australia a chance to play then any other club! And no child is turned away from Sturt. Hence more District and City South teams than any other club including Forestville.

The problem is that they are doing a better job than other clubs.

South have been offered entry into City South every year but are unwilling to offer places. If over time this decision makes their teams uncompetitive then that is their problem for being short sighted and narrow minded.

Any player in City South can play for South or any other club for that matter as well as playing City South. And any Sturt junior can play both as well.

That some people think that Sturt and Forestville are introducing more players to basketball is a bad thing shows exactly why basketball in this state is in the current position of being bankrupt.

District basketball is for the elite. City South is for the beginners. If there is a problem, put these kids in City South. Problem sloved.

Your ignorant opinions show that you have no idea.

Reply #103976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good work on turning all those South girls towards Netball.

Seriously, you coudln't let them get one basket? Playing full court D all game?

Disgrace.

Reply #103979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This isn't something to be proud of Sturt, a big win, yeah great! but to keep South Scoreless and score 114 at the same time is just horrible, in Under 10 Girls Div 2! And you come here bragging that you scored 114 like its something amazing, phfff, against a team that would've had a less humilating loss if they hadn't showed up, shame!

Reply #103980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and mind you clubs

if you get any player that is half decent Sturt will approach them. just like they always do

Reply #103983 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

And the difference to the days of Bev Chapman and Noarlunga's full court press in u10 is?

Reply #103984 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

mmmm...

"only 1 div 1 team per club..."

mmmm.

Reply #103987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

post 103984, that was 15yrs ago.....still haunted by it huh????
Times have changed my friend

Reply #103989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgraceful. Not the way junior sport should be played.

Reply #103993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is an easy way to stop this from happening.

It is called promotion/relegation.

Reply #104006 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

114-0 is a shameful result for an u10 game. I hope the "winning coach" feels suitably impressed with this "outstanding" coaching effort. Did the coach stop and think what he was doing for the games future?

(#103966)Are you calling City South a joke from actual experience, or are you just making assumptions about the program from the outside looking in? What is the basis for yor comment?

Personal experience with city south is that it gives opportunities for kids that do not, can not, will not committ to a district team.

My son had lost interest in district as an u14 as he was not as skillfull as others in his age group. He moved on to city south , as there is no prusseure to be anything in this comp; you just need a love of the game.

2 seasons of city south later has restored his confidence in himself & his ability; he is now back playing district for his club, given it is a lower grade, however in U14's he was "lost to basket ball"

City South has its place in SA, its just a shame more clubs (that seem to need a boost to junior ranks) dont feel the need to support it.

Reply #104011 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I think it is pretty poor that the winning team did not even allow the opposing side on basket.

If i were a junior coach again, and my team was thumping another side like this, the least i would do would allow them some dignity and score a bucket.
What kind of message does this send to both sets of kids?
The winning coach has to have a good look at him/herself.. IMO.

Reply #104012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, did anyone see the game. Did they press the whole game? I don't know, I didn't see it. maybe they went back to the keyway in D and still stole the ball and ran for layups. Again, I didn't see it , but I'm not passing judgement if I didn't see it. If they did press the whole game, maybe the coach is new and didn't know that that wasn't the "done thing". Again, didn't see it ,can't comment! However what I do know is that the coach is giving more of his/her time to junior basketball than 99% of you snipers! As for let them get a basket, you have to be kidding! If they miss does the winning team rebound it and give it back to them, or even shoot it for them (which by the way is now illegal!). But hey any excuse for a Sturt bash, huh! Anyway, let them play Div 1 and the problem is solved isn't it? No, can't do that, they might become TOO good! "Victorian" has it SO right in the other thread, we are 30 minutes and 30 years behind the Vics!

Reply #104035 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

There are a lot of better solutions to this problem than bagging Sturt and insisting that they compensate for the inequalities in the competition.

Yes Promotion/Relegation is a solution.

What is NOT a solution is having the competition dragged back to the lowest common denominator.

I feel sorry for the South girls but the problem is not Sturt's. The problem lies in the lack of a plan for the progression of the game.

Look at Victoria, traditionaly the strongest junior development state. You'll see regional comps, you'll see ruthlessness at the ELITE level. The South girls are victims of a broader lack of planning at the top level and their club level.

Reply #104036 | Report this post

SomeOneElse  
Years ago

I was watching the game (kind of, was on the other court) and to defend the sturt team, about all they couldve done by the end of the game to aloow South to score was to not play defence...

Sturt were all bigger and much more advanced in their stages of learning the game, the South team are very much beginning and will improve with time, you can not accuse sturt of trying to let South score playing a 3 point line man!

Is it really necessary to pick on Sturt on this issue as well? Sometimes you just get results like this in sport, even at the Highest of levels, may i point out the 21-0 match between Australia and another side (Cant Remember who) in the Soccer?

Let the girls keep playing, dont pick on Sturt and dont pick on South either!!

Reply #104039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i remember when i was coaching a team a few years ago. We were thrashing the tigers.

i Felt bad for them not scoring. So instead of just giving them the ball to let them score i got my girls to put their hands behind their backs and play D. Gets them moving their feet.

THere are so many ways to let them score without just giving them the ball

Reply #104042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it unbelievable that a club which claims to be all about giving kids a chance to play without trying to make them competitive would complain about getting beaten badly. Perhaps they could change their philosophy or do a better job of placing their tems in competitions which suuit their standard. I am sure that their u10 girls team would compete better in a miniball competition during the week.

Alternatively, unless clubs are willing to addopt promotion/relegation I would suggest we are only going to see more and more one sided competitions in the future.

Over the past 5-10 years the disparity in the competition has been getting greater and greater.

Also it is plainly evident that some clubs are looking to develop elite level players while other clubs are looking to give kids the chance to play and have fun.

Promotion relegation offers both. If somebody can give a better alternative, please put it forward!

Reply #104046 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm puzzled. How does backing off until the the opposition scores give them any dignity? Sounds like patronising to me.

If there is a 100 point difference between the standard of two teams you can't fix it on game day. The teams are obviously at differnent stages of development.

Who knows, there may be a future ABA player in that South team. Kids can handle lopsided scores if their parents can handle it.

Reply #104082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i was in U 10s when my team scored 102 to 0 and we played in the three point line for most of the game.

Reply #104147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

years ago south scored 109-7 against southern suns, thats not a bad effort

Reply #104179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If my understandings are correct, for all grades from u10 to u14s, all teams MUST play Man to Man "No Zone".

Here's a suggestion, and it might seem a little harsh to hear, but bring in a "Restricted Defence Rule". It would be the same as "The Mercy Rule", but with a much less of a harsher name associated with it.

Reply #104211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that was sturt's u10 div 2 g team - you should see how good their div 1 team is - very good age group coming thru for the sabrettes

Reply #104221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #104211.

There is a good chance that this wood work in City South.

But district basketball is about developing elite level players.

4 years age a Sabres U/10 girls team won a game 126 - 2. Two years later they won the classics due to their ability to play pressure defence.

What possible reason is their for the Sabres to back off. If the goal of district if to be successful, it just goes to show that one club is getting it right and the other needs to look at their philosophy.

Reply #104237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after that score line i have more respect for the losing team,shame on the parent for bringing this up

Reply #104246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And herein lies the problem in basketball in SA. As Vivtorian said yesterday. Go to Adelaide, go back 30 minutes and 30 years.

Basa basketball is for the elite. If people want to go and sit around a camp fire and sing Kumbahyah, then go play social or go play church.

Does anybody here really think that if the situation was reversed that

A/ South would have gone easy on Sturt.

or B/ Sturt would be complaining on this website.

Just goes to show that basketball in this state has a long way to go.

Reply #104250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

here here anon
on the money
it's about acheivement
half full or empty

Reply #104262 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:20 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754