=Too Many Refs=
Years ago

Too Many Refs for Country Champs

Why do SA Country threaten to charge a $200 fee for each team from each association that does not supply an umpire for the country champs; when like this weekend, there are far too many referees.

Metro refs are being turned away and the country ones are doing on average three, maybe four games per day max.

If this is the case, doing five or six games in total over one and a half days of the weekend would make more sense and you could have the rest of the weekend off.
However, you have to stick around all weekend and you have usually at least 3 hrs between games which usually isnt enough time to do anyway productive except eat and watch basketball.

Can anyone explain?

Topic #10665 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

ask the person who does the umpiring roster.

Reply #123444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAC boss has been asleep at the wheel for decades so why the suprise now.

Reply #123463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boy oh boy. We had a thread on here the other day that was complaining of games were only one umpire shows up!

It would seem the country associations have got their acts together and made sure that refs are available for the games.

I dont see a problem with it. If by some chance a mix up occurs and only one ref shows for a game on the weekend, I am sure we will have a thread on here next week bagging the country assoc of failing to have two umps.

Cheeeez!

Reply #123468 | Report this post

been around  
Years ago

it's the country's weekend - let them do what they want - but the point you raise re amount of games and time between for refs is not enticing.

better than nothing - Q half full or empty ?

the u16 and 18s are up soon anyway

Reply #123563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bag bag bag!

Reply #123600 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Paper or Plastic??

Reply #123614 | Report this post

PPBA - Thomas  
Years ago

Once upon a time many, many, many moons ago I represented Port Pirie in the Country Championships as a referee & was constantly given between 7 & 10 games on the saturday & none on the sunday..... Was it because I was fit enough to do that many on the saturday & not good enough for the sunday? Prbably, but all I knew was I went away with $100 spending money for food & some goodies & would come home having bought all my food for the weekend with over $120 in my wallet..... thems were the days

ANYWAY

I am now a huge endorsee of junior referees & for the first time in those many moons I was not required to referee at the Country Champs as a representative for Port Pirie because we & many other associations were able to supply ample amounts of referees for the jobs

HOWEVER

we took 4 junior referees who each did 2 games on the Saturday & I think only 2 of them were required for 1 game each on the Sunday (may have been 3)..... Only 2 of the referees were VERY KEEN to have a go & in hind site, to what occurred the 2 referees that wanted to be there could have easily handled 4 games each on the sat & 2 more on the sunday particularly when their first game was at 1:30pm & the second at 7:30pm..... And then gained a lot more experience.

Not knocking Mark Ryan & his team of guys for the organising because I think the overwhelming response they received would have definately threw them off guard, but what annoys me is seeing 30+ year old men/women walking up & down the court getting seniority of 4+ games each, when the experience could be better passed to the juniors.

Thanks to the oldies like me who still put there hand up, but make way to the future.

Reply #128563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ur back must be sore from your continual patting of it.

Reply #128566 | Report this post

PPBA - Thomas  
Years ago

Posted by Anonymous.... LOL

Don't get on Hoops often enough to read all the anonymous responses that get posted, but when I do get on here I do like to have my say as it seems & respond to those wanting to make a point, whether it is to support or to question.

I also post my area PPBA (Port Pirie Basketball Association) & name (Thomas) as a sign of respect to the people I am responding to, so that they can have a conversation instead of being ridiculed by all those who choose to stay anonymous.

I only have a say in threads that are close to what we experience here in Port Pirie.

F.Y.I. my back is beginning to get sore as I normally only respond to people who show respect back to me with names/areas etc. I don't normally chat to 'anonymous' people, but hey why not it's not everyday I grace the pages of Hoops SA & have such interlectual conversations with 'anonymous' people.

Reply #128569 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:52 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754