master?
Years ago

Player payments in the NZ NBL

Isaac, would you know what kind of dollars imports/good australins get paid in the NZNBL per season?

Topic #11163 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think I read somewhere that the salary cap per team over there is around $125,000. Not sure if it's often reached, but some teams have good talent.

e.g., the team Oscar's side played last week have Dillon Boucher, Casey Frank and Lindsay Tait (the guy that was backing up Henare at the Breakers and then went to Europe when they wouldn't give him the starting spot).

Teams are permitted two imports - one club has the younger brother of Gary Payton - they call him The Mitten - classic, eh?

Not sure exactly what players get over there, but it's a semi-professional league (maybe on par, payment-wise, with the WNBL?). More than in the Central ABL I think it's safe to say.

I would be making a complete guess, but maybe $10-40k? Readers of the forum might know more, but may not want to say?

Reply #130126 | Report this post

master?  
Years ago

Much appreciated.

Reply #130128 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Isaac, you sure it's Gary Payton's little brother or Don Cheadle's little brother?

Reply #130131 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Is Paytons brother any good?? upto NBL standard???, if hes half as good as Gary he would be a awesome pick up for a NBL team if they are looking for a point guard

Reply #130133 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Head to Kiwihoops.co.nz and look up his stats. Some decent games, some average.

Reply #130134 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

NZ love the little brother stuff Dan Marjle's (sp? it been a while) twin brother played there a while ago too.

Reply #130142 | Report this post

why  
Years ago

18 games + max 2 games Finals. season length

Imports $1000 - $1500 a game + Car + Accom.
Top 3 players $800 - 1500 a game + Car + Accom.

Pretty much everyone gets paid...
The whole league relys on pokie machine money.

Reply #130144 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

quote, Isaac
"Teams are permitted two imports - one club has the younger brother of Gary Payton - they call him The Mitten - classic, eh?"

Even funnier, when you consider how the locals'd pronounce "The Mitton".
Bad luck if you like 'em young.
Rumour has it they were after Kobe's bro, but decided against hogget on the menu.

Reply #130191 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:35 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754