August 15
Years ago

SHC through to KO Finals

Sacred Heart played Unley this morning in a do-or-die clash for both teams; the winner through to the finals.

After Sacred Heart stretched their lead out to 13 points during the third quarter, Unley scrambled their way back to be within 2 points with a few minutes to play.

A couple of SHC buckets saw the lead back out to 6, before Fildes for Unley hit a triple with under a minute remaining to make it a 3 point game.

Unley got the stop they needed down the other end, came down, missed a 3 with 10 seconds left, but got the O board, passed it around a few times before Boonstoppel put up a shot at the death.

Unfortunately, for Boony and the Unley squad, he made the silly mistake of shooting a 2 pointer instead of a 3 pointer. The shot hit nothing but net, but a 2 was only enough to give SHC the 1 point win.

Sacred Heart have escaped the pool of death and the KO Finals await. Well done boys.

Topic #11926 | Report this topic

Mr. Big Shot#1  
Years ago

trinity beat st. micks in a do or die clash by 1 point always. Very good game.

Reply #139347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it wasnt a mistake that he shot from 2. he stepped back and shot a three, the umpire signalled three, before changing his mind after the siren

Reply #139354 | Report this post

August 15  
Years ago

Yeah I was just being stupid... I know that he shot the 2 accidentally. For the record, the umpire changed his mind with the ball in the air, when he realised both feet were over the line. Unley didn't argue as much as someone would if they genuinely thought it was a 3-pointer. Unlucky.

Reply #139355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

changed his mind with the ball in the air?? so after he has taken a jump shot and landed?? you cant do that

Reply #139356 | Report this post

August 15  
Years ago

Umpires do it all the time mate. They get in a better position and can see that the player had his feet on the line. Sounds like you know it was a 2 pointer but are trying to claim some sort of technical victory?

Reply #139357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do what all the time? call something and then change their minds? in a crucial possession like that, with unleys season on the line - the ref cant afford to f&$k up the way he did

Reply #139358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pedare knocked off cbc today to top there pool

Reply #139362 | Report this post

Years ago

Cabra won by 1 point against PAC in a great game, after begin as far as 12 up in the 3rd

Reply #139372 | Report this post

US College Scout  
Years ago

Let's see if I've got this correct...

Mercedes
Sacred Heart
St Pauls
Unley
Sacred Heart won this group.

St Ignatius
St Michaels
St Peters
Trinity
Trinty won this group.

Blackfriars
CBC
Pedare
Pembroke
Did Pedare won this group?

Who won these 3 groups?

Adelaide
Cabra
PAC
Westminster

Pasadena
Aberfoyle Park

Golden Grove
Brighton

Reply #139373 | Report this post

Years ago

the umpires at the unley sacred heart game were absolutely crap! its unlucky that the most deserving team lost the game beacause of that.

Reply #139379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes pedare won there group

Reply #139390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cabra won their group

Reply #139396 | Report this post

Mr. Big Shot#1  
Years ago

Is there any wildcard entrys. For the team with the best percentage that finishs 2nd.

Reply #139398 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

if there is you would hope unley would make it just to make the finals any good

Reply #139399 | Report this post

Years ago

Unley are out

as if they had the best team

Daly
Boonstoppel
Fidles
Goodall

Do SHC have Harri Harvey in KO?

Reply #139407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs > Unley

Reply #139424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone know what format the finals will be run this year?? according to the website only six teams go through which probly rules out a straight k/o finals series but since its only on 1 day you wouldnt expect the same format as last year would you?

Reply #139431 | Report this post

Casual Onlooker  
Years ago

I would like to commend Unley on how they handled themselves after the game. They could have carried on as "August 15" suggested, but no, they held their heads high, kept their pride in tact and walked of the court knowing that haveing a winge would be fruitless. This is the pinnacle of sportsmanship, yes they were dissappointed and yes they got robbed but Unley should be proud of the way they handled themselves and their coach should be congraulted for leading by example.

This is what school sport should be about, yes their will always be winners and losers, but if both teams can walk off the court with their heads held high regardless of the result they should be congraulated. Thankyou Unley for losing with class and keeping your pride well and truly in tact.

Reply #139433 | Report this post

b  
Years ago

yeah umpires do it all the time. i think not... im pretty sure once hes in the air u cant predict that his foot was on the line to start with. if he didnt know he should of kept it as a 3 and let it go into over time. he landed over the line, shot it without any part of him touching it. clearly a 3 point shot.

Reply #139436 | Report this post

Ref 23  
Years ago

I know both the refs who were on the game, the ref in question at first thought it was a 3 but JUST BEFORE the player shot it he realized that his foot was on the line therefore it is a 2 pointer!

Reply #139438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

b its easy to say that... but if his foot WAS on the line, which it sounds like it was. if the reff had left it as three the game goes to ot and SHC loose this whole thred would be about how SHC was robbed so its a bit hard to agrue that he should have left it as a three when it wasnt

Reply #139440 | Report this post

Ostrich 92  
Years ago

noooo ref 23...he had three fingers raised the whole time the ball was in the air - i made sure of that so dont try tell me otherwise...after the ball went in then he signalled two the bench...so ur wrong...it sounds like a cover up bullshit story for a guy trying to defend his mate...or himself? and anonymous...what!?! this thread would be about how sacred heart got robbed?! how would they have gotten robbed if it was counted a three...because for the first 2 seconds every thought it was a three...so theres no question...the whole was it a three issue wouldnt be raised in the first place...robbed? what? the thread just becomes how unley come back from 15 down in the fourth and hit a massive three at the buzzer

Reply #139441 | Report this post

Years ago

haha..yes ostrich i was thinking the same thing...they wouldnt have been robbed at all...probably shouldve thought that through anonymous...and i also noticed the fingers change to the bench...AFTER the shot went in...THAT is against the rules...and how long a look do u think this guy got?! u dont get 5 seconds to go..yep 3...wait...no..hang on..im going to move into a better position and then see from there...oh..yes...no thats a two

Reply #139446 | Report this post

August 15  
Years ago

You must have been pretty concerned about the shot being a 2 pointer if you watched the umpire the whole time instead of watching a potential game tying buzzer beater...

It isn't hard to understand... one second left, the umpire knows a shot is about to go up, pre-meditates and assumes that the shot will be a 3-pointer (because they are down by 3), so puts his hand up to signal a 3 basically as the guy sets himself up for a shot. When the player is in the shooting action, the umpire checks to see where the players feet are as all good umpires should, and sees that BOTH of the shooters feet were over the line. Simple.

I am also keen to hear more of how Unley were cheated out of this victory by the umpires. (note to Unley players - excluding umpires decision on last shot)

Reply #139451 | Report this post

b  
Years ago

"unley" if your team was so good the game should never been that close, YOU LOST GET OVER IT.

Reply #139456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

august - i was concerned with what the umpire signalled coz i didnt see his feet - thats why i looked..and saw him change after it dropped...u cant do that..THAT is the simple part..and b..wtf...are u the same b as above...and unley lost and i think they know that - it doesnt mean people cant debate this issue - which clearly has had a major impact on the tournament

Reply #139475 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

the problem is the umpire cannot change his decision on a call like that. it is an error, not like misinterpreting a blocking call or whatever. it is in the rules, and by no means would he be able to have, as he explained 'got into better position' after signalling three as at that point the shot would have been in the air and the shooter's feet would obviously have been in a different place. if you read casual onlookers post unley have obviously taken this incredibly well, and any complaints they do make are probably fair and could not be considered 'whinging' by any decent person. put yourself in their shoes...what would you do? im sure it would be difficult to sit back and accept it when you genuinely feel you have been robbed

Reply #139478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that is the best post in this whole thread

Reply #139482 | Report this post

>{"_}(}{"&%  
Years ago

'interested' is 100 percent right - every thing u said is spot on..that was the best post in the thread

Reply #139483 | Report this post

wateva  
Years ago

was there any communication between the refs? You all seem to be looking at the ref signaling the three but did anyone see if the refs partner was indicating to him that is was actually a two pointer. If so he was correct in only awarding a two pointer.

Reply #139502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both called three while ball was in the air, ref in "best" position then called 2 as the ball dropped. To my knowledge they did not discuss this and simply walked off after the game.

Reply #139513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah thats a joke - in such a big call - there was no interaction between the refs after the shot - when initially it was clear both refs had signalled three when it was released

Reply #139525 | Report this post

be  
Years ago

"b" all good team have off games. to sarcasticly say that unley are sooo good is unfair. they had to play 5 on 7, played poorly and when the game was on the line a 3 was hit.

also james wouldnt be stupid enough to shoot a 3, he stepped back, looked at his foot and shot the 3.

Reply #139533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im a Sacred Heart student and as much as I hate to say Unley were robbed. I was in great position to see James Boonstoppel's shot and he was clearly behind the 3 point line. I also commend the way Unley handled themselves, but they do have a good argument to say they were robbed. The umpires made an incorrect decision and my personal opinion is that there should be a rematch.

Unley are clearly the better side only losing by a controversial point to SHC and Unley was without their star STATE POINT GUARD TOM DALY.

Reply #139543 | Report this post

Years ago

Im guessing the game was at Sacred Heart, cos Mercedes got raped by the ref there as well, they had only 1 ref on a k-o game which is crazy. The foul count was 13-1 SAC's way.....

Reply #139562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a process of appeal for Unley to take? or must they cop this on the chin?

Reply #139566 | Report this post

shauno  
Years ago

unley were robbed, you dont signal a three and change, its the equivalent of blowing your whistle and then calling play on... james is my hero!

Reply #139581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oi brother in arms this is some Gansta Bs right here Man. I was there and the ref was just wrong and i am right, UNLEY (Whoever they are) 4tw.

K thx bai

Reply #139583 | Report this post

Ref 23  
Years ago

Just so everyone knows, both refs have nothing to do with Sacred Heart and Unley need to take it on the chin. I am NOT the ref in question but he is my best mate and there was interaction as i was at the game and saw it all!!!

Reply #139595 | Report this post

b  
Years ago

"unley" its time to wipe away the tears pick up your shoes,bag and ball and go home better luck next year.

Reply #139603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ref 23, there was no interaction

Reply #139624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ref 23 those refs 'have nothing to do with Sacred Heart' yet they get paid by Sacred Heart and thus then do have connections to the school

Reply #139635 | Report this post

wateva  
Years ago

would there have been so much bitching about and muck slung at the player if he had missed said shot. I doubt it. Its so much easier to abuse a referee isn't it.

Reply #139659 | Report this post

out of the teams which are already through who do people think are the strongest?

and when do the other teams play their knock out games?

Reply #139694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "abuse" is heading the ref's way because Unley feel they got robbed ... they generally believe it was a three and are 100% confident that the umpires got it wrong. Of course u wouldn't see the same abuse directed at a player who missed a shot, in that case Unley themselves would be respnsible. But no, that kid pulled some bullshit fade-away shot out of his ass and it dropped, enough said. He was good enough to make such an unbeliveable shot, however the umpires decided the outcome of the game, by marring it in controversy.

All i am saying is if a player misses a shot, so be it, it happens 50 % of the time. However, if an umpire makes an obvious mistake that is just wrong it shouldn't decide the outcome of such a big game.

Not really sure what u are trying to say "wateva". It isn't easier abusing the ref .. thats just what happened in this game, the ref got it wrong.

Reply #139707 | Report this post

Years ago

exactly anon - well said

Reply #139708 | Report this post

Years ago

and also - i think there shouldve been some talk between refs - there wasn't and the decision was made then and there when both refs initially signalled three...veryyyy fishy....did these guys even get told it was a KO game?! harsh unley...harsh...i feel for u

Reply #139710 | Report this post

Years ago

unley if only you did'ent have x amount of turnovers or miss shots or miss rebouns you might be playing next week, but your not and SHC is get over it try again next year.

Reply #139720 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

You guys are bloody clowns!! Why on Earth would the umpire just decide to hold a grudge against Unley for some reason. You think as the ball in the air he is thinking 'If this goes in... I'm gonna change my mind and call it a 2, just to piss Unley off'? Absolute idiots. Sacred Heart won... they are the better team.

I have spoken to some VERY trustworthy people who were at the game who were apparently sitting on the side and very close to where the buzzer beater was hit and they said there was no doubt that it was a 2 pointer... BOTH feet over the line. And whoever said this James kid looked at his feet, I highly doubt he would have done that if he knew time was about to expire. You are just making up lies now.

And BTW, umpires can and do change their minds alot of the time when it comes to 2/3 pointers. Haven't you ever seen players who put one foot forward as they release the ball? What is the umpire supposed to do there? Call it a 3 even if he has put his foot over the line.

Can't believe how stupid some people can get when they lose.

Reply #139724 | Report this post

shauno  
Years ago

jimmy de bas haha what a joke. i have got a very "reliable source" also who says it was a three... you clown you argue nothing but circumstantial evidence. notice how there are shc people on here saying it was a three yet no unley peopel saying it was a three. umpires dont signal something for no reason... if he signalled the three, why change it, my source said he looked at the scoreboard before changing it...

Reply #139726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shauno im sure unley would love to hear your story mate...give them a call tomorrow and ask for the sports coordinators.
i think people need to realise that unley are not whinging, none of the players have posted anything, its been others who were there or those who are reading and just speculating. the circumstances obviously say its been harsh for them, but as mentioned before, they HAVE taken it on the chin and have been terrific sports about it all. yeah they're disappointed, but honestly - who wouldnt be in there position? be reasonable

Reply #139727 | Report this post

Years ago

"727" so all the players live with you? how can you say none of the players have posted on here i dont think so

Reply #139733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im involved with the team/school and know that none of them have posted

Reply #139735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how would you know that

Reply #139760 | Report this post

be  
Years ago

its funny how every post from unley and SHC have all said it was certainly a 3 except you jimmy de bas. as he was stepping back he looked down, wouldnt you if it was a must make 3? im pretty sure you would.

Reply #139878 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

is there a video of the game, so we can end this once and for all. the decision they made is final but is there any evidence that it was or wasnt a three.

Reply #139879 | Report this post

Years ago

im a sacred heart player who was standing directly infront of james when the shot went up. there'd obviously be no point in me lying about whether it was a 2 or 3 as it wouldnt change anything now but both of james' feet were over the line by a reasonable amount. also if all of this crap is being argued..did anyone notice harri's BANK 3 pointer which was also signalled as 2 points!?

Reply #139967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

harris bank shot was counted as a three...it initially only got 2 but refs changed the score at half time

Reply #139992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could it have been changed at half time? Just wondering if this is aganist the rules, i.e. did the scorers count it as 2 when it was siganlled as a 3 or did the umpires change their deceision at half time?

Reply #140001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

time to change the title to lets bash the refs!

Reply #140005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they were pretty awful

Reply #140031 | Report this post

k  
Years ago

The refs were quite terrible. They made wrong decisions, were quite indecisive and most of the time both the refs were behind the ball - not keeping up with the play.

these refs should be put on notice and get banned from umpiring crucial games. Go ref under10's u clowns

Reply #140297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are mercedes gonna reschedule their game against sacred heart? only one ref should be enough grounds to have that played again

Reply #140332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

44, i am from unley and you have just backed up my argument that these refs have absolutely no clue what a 3 and what a 2 is, this is an unley player (me) and a sacred heart player (44) who both disagree with 3 point calls from the refs, surely in a knockout game sacred heart shouldn't have two refs on their payroll. unley should be able to bring 1 ref.
this game needs to be rescheduled, jeez even mercedes say they got screwed by the sacred heart refs, unley say that as well. open your eyes school basketball and realise that sacred heart are cheating their way into finals, both games with sacred heart need to be rescheduled.
also whats the deal with there only being 1 ref with mercedes and sacred? match fixing much?
reschedule that as well. mercedes and unley were screwed

Reply #140455 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Yeah cheating... good call twerp. Get over it.... you lost. SHC won the year 10 title in 2005 and have proven yet again that they are better than Unley and Mercedes. See you at the dance dudes!

Reply #141336 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

bit harsh saying there cheating thereay through. both schools should be allowed to supply there own ref, thats what they did in the last year's year 8 knockout.

but saying that wouldnt it be easier for people who organise the pools just to assign refs, who arnt from those schools?

Reply #141342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so if SHC did cheat and technically arent worth it to make the finals, does that mean we can expect them to lose the moment the finals start?

Reply #142049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

forgot to add, so if SHC do win games in the finals, wouldnt that mean they are worthy of being there? you cant say it isnt fair. Everyone is allowed to bring their own ref. Schools fault for not being organised.

Reply #142050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok lets end all of this rubbish, im the guy that had my hands up infront of boony wen he shot it, no it wasnt a 3 his feet where over. and as 4 every 1 saying that they deserved the win n 2 get thru 2 the finals they mite deserve it more than mercedes n westminster n st pauls but we where never behind in our game against em, we where up by 13 in the last quarter. so dont say sacreds dont deserve 2 b in finals they beat mercedes by 1, westminster by 2 and unley by 1, they got thru cos they came up with the goods n the dying stages. how we'll go in finals, i guess we'll jst hav 2 wait n c.

Reply #143116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah...that settles it for sure...just another opinion...with no credibility and evidence, as well as no confirmation its actually someone playing in the game (theres been about 10-20 people say what they saw on this to) - but thanks for ur opinion..it means a lot..

Reply #143118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok then mate ask james who was guarding him for the last shot n he'll tell ya it was me, sam bromilow. so now that the lack of credibility part is over maybe u can start 2 realise that how good unley may be they're not in the finals so here's an idea...move on.

Reply #143121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

move on? who are u talking to...im not saying it was a three or it wasnt im saying your not putting an end to anything by saying this...ur not the overruling judgement

Reply #143123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what are peoples tips for the finals, now that the final 6 have been decided! does anyone know the pools yet?

Reply #143620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who are exactley the final 6 i hve heard several different pools and crap whats the real final 6

Reply #143634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what ive heard its;

Pasadena
OR
Aberfoyle Park
Brighton
Cabra
Pedare
Sacred Heart
Trinity

Reply #143641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

POOL 1
Sacred Heart
Brighton
Pedare

Expect Sacred Heart to come out on top of this pool with Brighton taking 2nd. Pedare lacking name players and strength will come last in this one.

POOL 2
Trinity
Cabra
Pasdena OR Aberfoyle Park

Reply #143745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aberfoyle Park won 79-40 and dominated

Reply #143751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should b a good game between trinity and cabra, who's ur tip for that 1?

Reply #144421 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Cabra - salad finger's'll get em over the line.

Reply #144446 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

Can I just say that these guys are not getting 'paid for calls' by Sacred Heart. They get paid for coming out and doing 4 games of basketball starting at 830 in the morning. I have refereed there in the past and it has been that way ever since I started. To say that Sacred Heart paid off the refs is laughable.

Reply #145062 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754