Years ago

Funny Brad Newley drafted by... Houston Rockets

Newley just got drafted by the Rockets

:( bad luck sixers

Topic #12001 | Report this topic

DICKO  
Years ago

Depends what they want to do with him really.

You outposted me by seconds, but mine should be left since I spelt Houston right :-)

Reply #140138 | Report this post

Years ago

I know.... grrr... i was in a rush to beat you.... :D.... you win.. lol....so what do u think they will do with Brad??

Reply #140139 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

It will be a while before you'll know. Houston will put him through the ringer and work out whether he's worth a roster spot.

If not, they might want him to go to Europe or D-League to develop certain parts of his game.

I don't like 6ers chances of them letting him come back to Oz to play though.

Draft Picks that low don't always end up with contracts, but they'll want to keep him close IMHO so they can keep an eye on him.

Reply #140140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice one Sixers, way to sign a guy who won't play one bit for the club. Glad I didn't renew my season tickets. Silly Mal. Silly, silly Mal.

Reply #140142 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

Damn...

Reply #140144 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Jesus Dude,

I don't hink you need to go crying off to mummy just yet.

Besides, letting him go and do his thing pretty much guarantees he'll be back there when he returns.

Good short term punt, great long term plan.

Nothing wrong with that.

It's not like they'll lose the money and the cap points if he stays over there.

Reply #140145 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

he wont go to the rockets rooster..i have no doubt about it...he will remain with them for a few weeks/months but then he will get released to the D-League or Euroleague..Im not a h8r its just i am suprised he was even selected in the draft...he has a great future and if he doesnt make it this time im sure he will make it in the future

Reply #140146 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Pretty sure they'll have a plan B too.

Reply #140147 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Tool anon...in fact you are the tool box..

As if it isn't great for another Aussie to be in the big league..

Reply #140148 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Rockets Rooster?

Some kind of strange NBA initiation ceremony?

Reply #140151 | Report this post

Go Brad!  
Years ago

Go Brad!

We are so proud of you!!

Adelaide's own just got drafted by the NBA!

Congratulations.

Reply #140152 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

On the NBADraft site it says Brad was picked up by Orlando?

Reply #140155 | Report this post

Years ago

no it doesent... see http://www.nba.com/draft2007/board.html
if that was the one you were looking at...

Reply #140156 | Report this post

Giraffe 53  
Years ago

Houston had traded for the Orlando pick which was then used to draft brad.

Reply #140157 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I was looking at this one:

http://www.nbadraft.net/

Reply #140158 | Report this post

Years ago

yea... houston bought a second round pick from orlando

Reply #140159 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Houston bought Orlando's pick for cash considerations this morning.

Reply #140160 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Anybody know what the 36ers have for their plan B on the basis that Newley is gone for the whole, or even part of the season?

Reply #140161 | Report this post

Good for him  
Years ago

Great news for Brad.. Wish him luck and this will only strengthen Aussie Basketball...

Congrats

Reply #140162 | Report this post

Bfresh  
Years ago

Im sure itll emerge very soon.

As for the anonymous post i was waiting for someone to come out swinging at the sixers trying to pick up Brad. I agree its a good long term plan and if he didnt get drafted someone like anonymous would have been the very same person asking why we didnt chase him.

Uggh

Reply #140163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmmmm..........dont be surprised to see Newley released and replaced with Schenscher! Team to look like this;
C - Schenscher/Cooper
PF - Dench/Dodman(or yet to be named?)
SF - Ballinger/Copeland
SG - Chappell/Ng
PG - Maher/Davidson

Could work and still be rather competitive IMO!!

Reply #140164 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

"Besides, letting him go and do his thing pretty much guarantees he'll be back there when he returns.

Good short term punt, great long term plan."

Dicko, love reading your posts, but above is same theory with Bradkte all those years back......Don't think we will hold our breathe...

Reply #140165 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Dicko....can you advise what you guess to be the Plan B?

Reply #140166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers will get Damien Ryan..... I heard, but who knows?

Reply #140167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"I am absolutely over the moon," he said.

"It has been a dream of mine for a long time. I am just absolutely wrapped.

"It is a big thing for me so hopefully things work out when I get over there and play.

"I just wanted to hear my name called.

"It's a champion club and they've got my rights now so I am very very happy.

"Mum had a couple of wines and we are all over the moon."
Link

Congratulations Brad - the hard work has paid off.

Reply #140168 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

this is fantastic news for SA basketball. Congrats to Newley, i must say i am shocked by it! I wish him all the best.

Reply #140170 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

good to see him drafted, great player, and even greater guy. if he doesnt get to suit up, atleast he will get to train alongside tmak, which would be great learning experience, seeing as brad could be our own version of the man??? congrats once again

Reply #140171 | Report this post

Johhny Sack  
Years ago

Good stuff Brad... Just goes to show that the "science" of drafting is anything but... Refering to the haters... Teams draft on any number of factors - clearly Brad met them (for Houston anyway)...

Reply #140172 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

STO but just fantastic news .

To everyone concentrating on how this will affect the sixers c'mon now focus on what it is , an amazing achievement whatever the outcome
CONGRATULATIONS to Brad , his family
and everyone that has had input and given support over the years .

Reply #140173 | Report this post

Mufflover  
Years ago

They must of wanted him to go and buy a pick for him.

Reply #140174 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw this on OzHo:

The Houston GM has just told the draft function that Brad will continue to play overseas.
Rockets draft party

Reply #140177 | Report this post

well done  
Years ago

Well done Brad. Awesome achievement dude. also well done to those who helped along the way, in his family, Forestville Eagles BC, AIS, Townsville Crocs, esp Ian Stacker, and all his international coaches esp whoever coached that u19 team to world sucess...that deinately helped him get put on the map.

Reply #140178 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Look, he still may be released and if he goes to Europe then the Sixers will have 11 points and the maximum 200,000 to play with. There are some coming out of college and australian european players so the Sixers still are in a good position to get top 2.

Well done Newley! Hope you get some minutes and show them what you've got!

Reply #140180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go Brad! just do it mate!

Reply #140183 | Report this post

Giraffe 95  
Years ago

123abc if a european player wanted to return back to australia adelaide wouldn't be his number one choice to start with and would want alot more than 200,000

Reply #140184 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And how many Australians playing over there would be options? Andersen and Nielsen are out of the question.

Who's left?

Reply #140185 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

Well done Brad...Live the dream mate!

Reply #140189 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Great news for Brad! This isn't so great for the Sixers, but what where management supposed to do? They went out and signed the best Australian player available, and it isn't like we still have to pay Newley or spend the cap points on him if he does end up overseas. And we do still have Maher, Davidson, Sutton, Ng, and Copeland. The guard spot is well staffed, but we do lose the franchise player. If Schenscher was to come in, this wouldn't be a bad thing, it might actually be a team with better balance (just don't bring back Nash, for the love of CHRIST!).

But fantastic for Newley, and it will be interesting to see Houston's intentions for him unfold over the coming weeks and months.

Reply #140197 | Report this post

who mw  
Years ago

Reply #140200 | Report this post

who me  
Years ago

36ers fans shouldnt give up hope just because he got drafted does not mean he'll be playing or even staying in the U.S alot of 2nd round especially late 2nd round picks aften return to the leauges they came from to "develop" but good on him wish him the best

Reply #140201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with mufflover...why would anyone part with cash to get a draft choice for someone they really dont want or see a future benefit for the club

Reply #140202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with mufflover...why would anyone part with cash to get a draft choice for someone they really dont want or see a future benefit for the club

Reply #140203 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Kingma? Apparently he has improved.
If Schenscher doesn't get signed by an NBA team it is possible that he could come to Adelaide.
There are a few Australian college players available aswell.

All is not lost!

Reply #140208 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

kingma.... are you serious.. just how much crack have you had today?

we don't need a damn wookie, we need a basketball player....

Reply #140210 | Report this post

Milko  
Years ago

Issac, when you posted that The GM said Brad will continue to play overseas, is that an indication that there intentions for Brad is to keep him playing in the N.B.L? i just am not sure what that was about!

Reply #140212 | Report this post

Milko  
Years ago

apologies for miss spelling your name Isaac

Reply #140213 | Report this post

Road Runner  
Years ago

I saw Phil Jones, a Kiwi guard, absolutely destroy all the Australian guards last year. In 2004 he was ranked second amongst all scorers at the Athens Olympics. Last season he was playing for Cantu Italy, he may be available for the next NBL season, worth checking out anyways.

And i think Brisbane also have their eyes on Stefan B amongst a few others who has finished College as a plan B in case Sammy Mac goes.

Reply #140216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in case anyone is interested

www.clutchcity.net is the place for yall rockets info.... some say the forum is one of best sports forums going round.......

been a member myself since back in 90s

Reply #140219 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Hrmm this is a good thing, when he starts getting some court time ive got a few friends i might have to visit in Houston!

Reply #140223 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Phil Jones struggled big-time is his first NBL stint. Had a couple of big 38 point games but at other times seemed to struggle to get his shot off. May work alongside Maher as opposed to Henare however.

Reply #140242 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

From the rockets site:

The Rockets later selected Newley with the 54th overall pick after acquiring the selection from Orlando earlier in the day for cash.

Newley, who has shown an ability to hit long range and pull-up jumpers, has spent the past three seasons playing in the NBL, Australia's premier professional league. He averaged 22.4 points last season with the Townsville Crocodiles.

"He's someone that we think can develop over time," Morey said. "He may play in the summer league with us, but we haven't had a chance to speak with him yet."

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_select_Oregonrsquos_-230260-34.html

Reply #140250 | Report this post

Newley's Mum  
Years ago

This is borderline worthy of a thread of it's own, but hopefully many people will be attracted by the name (it's not really Brad's Mum).

Check this video of Newley being drafted.

Reply #140628 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:47 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754