Can he keep up the Stats or go Further?

So far since coming in to replace Tyndale, Hodge is:

No 2 - Points per game 24.0
No 2 - Rebounds per game 10.7
No 1 - Assists per game 6.0
No 8 - Blocks per game 1.0

Very good stat's considering he has not yet played towards his best

Question is can he keep up the Rebounds, Assists and Points

Could he finish No 1 in all three categories and what would the odds be for this to happen?

Topic #18261 | Report this topic

kman  
Years ago

Hodge can certainly do it and will, when you get a bigger guy who is faster more athletic and can get up there not to mention handle the ball the best in the league you will have a dominant player. He will do it all year bar an injury (touch wood). Its great watching him how he wants to be in everything, best thing for the sixers since mee and brooks double

Reply #214673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no chance is he best ball handler in the league. IN fact the only thing he has that is above league avergage is his athleticism, which is way way way above average. Take away his athleticism he is worse than Tyndale.

Reply #214677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in saying that...because of his athleticism he is an unbelievable talent for the nbl

Reply #214678 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

If there was ever a remake of the Wizard of Oz based on NBL players you would surely would cast Hodge as the character asking the wizard for a reliable jump shot.

He'd be sitting next to Leroy at the top of the 'best ever' import list. Then again, he'd probably still also be with the Nets.

Reply #214681 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

yeah hodge is more athletic than tyndale, but also is way way way better handling the ball, something a guard should do well. also think he is a better passer and better finisher around the basket.

Reply #214683 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Yeah agree vanexe31, by the time he is done in this league he will be a top 5 import ever, if he has a longish nbl stint to claim his case. Anon, after reading your comparison between Julius and Tyndale, i totally understand why you didnt put your name to your opinion haha

Hodge is awesome in the character ranking aswell, the way he isnt afraid to wave his hands to the crowd mid game just to make sure 'we' are switched on and involved is the type of thing that will connect with young kids who will come back for years to come!

Reply #214685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyndale was a MUCH better finisher.
Tyndale a better shooter.
Tyndale is a better defender...Hodge is just better at gambling for steals.
Believe me my comments have nothing to do with my choosing to remain anonymous.
Don't get me wrong Hodge is a much better player. All i'm saying is that the single reason for that is because of his ultra athleticism. Give his athleticism to Tyndale and Tyndale would be the better player. Hodge may of signed his NBA contract but its obvious why he didn't make the roster.

Reply #214690 | Report this post

Rybags  
Years ago

Wack comments Anon. Tyndale has a better jumpshot, but thats where it ends.

Reply #214709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shooting too much from outside tho.

Obviously working on these things to get back in nba
but taking 26 shots with many of them being from outside wont help us win games against better teams.

Many U10s shoot better from outside. He should stick to rebounding, some defence would be nice too and penetrating to score or pass.

Reply #214716 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Anon is 100% right. Julius has a huge size and athleticism advantage over every player in this league, which is why he is able to get away with not having a jumpshot. At 6"7, with his ability off the dribble and his athelticism, he's unique out here and (most of the time) uses those things to his advantage.

Like anon, I'm not doubting that he is a great player, but let's not let a couple of dunks and waving his arms to the crowd in the way of analysing why he is what he is....

Reply #214720 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Can't agree with you anon, I don't think his athleticism is anything special at all. It IS probably above average for a 6'7" player in this league but it was one of his major downfalls in the NBA.

IMO, his key attributes are his handle through traffic (slashing ability, if you will), ability to finish at the rim despite contact, his shooting touch (ie. it somehow rolls in even if it's ugly and flat), his passing ability, his rebounding IQ and all-around basketball smarts. Plus there's all the excitement he brings through interaction with the crowd.

His speed and hops is secondary IMO.

Reply #214722 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

He has a good personal game at the expense of the rest of the team. He hogs the ball and tries to do too much when he should be passing off to a team mate. Would be the reason why his first 2 games in particular he had good numbers (enough to win POTW) but the team lost both. He is also a bit too cocky for me. He praises himself too much. He knows he is good in this league but won't make it in the NBA as already shown. I am happy to have him on the team but he will need to learn to be a team player.

Reply #214725 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

EC - Is he not already leading in assists?

Reply #214726 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

EC-Hodge has to takeover. When your the import, you have to be proactive and you have to look to score, because If you don't you will be shown the door. Also, Hodge cannot rely on guys like Bruce,Hill,Winitana and even Maher to some extent to score. He has to takeover. We need him taking shots. The only guy I think he can rely on is Ballinger.

You say: 'he should be passing off to a team mate.'

TO WHO.?

-Bruce is shooting 36 % from FG, and 28 % from 3PFG
-Brad Hill is 38 % from the Field, and a dismal 5 % from 3PFG. He has made 1/22 from 3-point this season
-Cooper is shooting 37 % from the Field this year
-Winitana is shooting 32 % from the field. As well as 13 % from beyond the arc.
-Davidson is shooting at 35 % from the field.

Ballinger and Schenser are the only two that Hodge can rely on/trust.
Balls is shooting the lights out this year:
FG % = 52
3PFG % = 47
FT % = 83

Schenser is doing a fantastic job too:
FG % = 52
FT % = 81

Reply #214779 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Julius gave a very interesting interview upstairs after the game last week. Judging by the comments he made then, it sounds like he would be very happy for Bruce to get more assists than him, he said he had great potential or stuff like that..

and there was obvious mateship rivalry between him and Luke who was interviewed also so i wouldn't be surprised if Luke is telling him, hey Julius I am 4th in the league in foul shooting, weren't you a star from the foul line in college?, when are you going to give me some competition etc.etc.

Reply #214780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is not a great finisher at the rim at all. Any bump often causes him to miss. The way he gets his points (and rebounds) is because he is so explosive of the ground he easily grabs his own rebound. Average athleticism for our league? wow. Name one person in our league that is able to jump as quick as Hodge does .
Look past his stats and actually watch the games and u should see what I am talking about.

Reply #214803 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Who really gives a shit, honestly our season was over, so stop bagging the guy. He didnt have to come here and may be playing for less to be here. If that doesnt make him a team player I dont know what will. Why does everyone always have to find something to complain about.

WELCOME BACK HODGE!!! try praising people for once, lets face it..he would kick your and my ass!

Reply #214844 | Report this post

Rybags  
Years ago

At least he gets to the rim. Tyndale rarely beat his man off the dribble. Personaly I have no problem with Hodge getting to the hoop, missing and putting back his miss. At least its aggresive basketball that can draw fouls on the defence. Plus we have good offensive rebounders in Luke and Holmes.

Secondly, getting steals and blocked shots isn't primarily about being athletic. Its about timing and reading the game. Alvin Robertson for example was not your sterotypical athlete.

Reply #214845 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"He is not a great finisher at the rim at all. Any bump often causes him to miss."

Bullshit, look at how many 3pt play oppurtunities he gets himself you clown.

"Average athleticism for our league? wow. Name one person in our league that is able to jump as quick as Hodge does ."

Jingles for one, and I said "above average" by the way.
Have you seen him play once this year???

EC, please, that entire post completely goes against everything you said when criticising Tyndale (ie. 'our import needs to take games into his own hands and dominate offensively')... and as Skip said, he is racking up the assists anyway.

Reply #214858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles is a good athlete but his springs are nowhere near Hodge's calibre.
Result to calling me a clown? I'm just telling you what goes on. He may get some 3 point plays...but how many makeable shots des he miss. Against the Hawks the other night alot of his point came from missing a very makeable shot and then out jumping everyone quickly and putting it back in.
And i repeat I am not against Hodge as a player, I think he is great. I just think the only reason he is great is his superior athleticism.

Reply #214871 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

skud, he wouldn't kick my ass if he had to do the job that I am qualified and paid to do. I don't get paid to play basketball so I don't have to be good at it. I wasn't actually bagging him either. I did say he is good in this league and I am happy that he is with the team, he just needs to be more team orientated. I can confidently expect that he will put up good numbers any time he is on the floor, I just don't want it to be at the expense of other players.

Ballinger Fan, I was also upstairs to listen to his post game speech. I also listened to Scott Ninnis speak and say that Julius still hasn't learnt where he fits into the team and his role. No doubt that will come in the next few games. This is the sort of thing that I observed in the game and that is how he is doing his own thing which is not necessarily fitting in with the rest of the team.

Reply #214878 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

XztatiK, where did I say that imports have to take games into their own hands? Yes, imports do need to dominate but that is quite different to taking the game into their own hands. Its a team game, not a solo performance. Also, Hodge is already fulfilling the expectation of an import dominating by the numbers he puts up.

Reply #214880 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

A lot of the above negativity seems to be coming from the hawks game, where he was not at his best.

Reply #214885 | Report this post

dougys  
Years ago

Some of you guys are never happy. Lets get Kobe, im sure you would still have something to whinge about. Win or loose Hodge is exciting to watch and thats why i go to the Basketball. We need excitment players. When was the last time anyone saw an allyoop at the bball cos i cant remember. People keep saying that bball in the nbl is better than ever but most games i watch these days are just a Brian Goorjan defensive slog. players like Hodge bring the excitement back.

Reply #214922 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more dougys.

Reply #214969 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Found that, despite the loss, the Dragons game (with Hodge) was more enjoyable to watch than the earlier comfortable win against the Spirit. Great atmosphere and spectacle and Julius was a big part of that. A movie where the bad guys win still has value if you've been entertained.

Goorjian's Dragons are actually the third highest scoring side in the league. The Taipans have been the real dud side in that regard.

Reply #214970 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The enjoyment of watching any particular game is a momentary enjoyment. The enjoyment of winning the game is a long lasting enjoyment. The enjoyment of winning a championship is enjoyment that lasts and is continually talked about for years after. If I wanted momentary enjoyment, I would go see a good comedian. Its not enough to watch a good game and then lose it.

Reply #215084 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754