Anonymous
Years ago

NH: - Ideas for Naming a Dog

Me and my family are thinking about getting a dog. We have had many conversations about what to name it and we cant decide on any. I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas for names. Or what you guys have called your dogs

Topic #18456 | Report this topic

SKUX101  
Years ago

Our dog is called Oscar. Good name I think. He is a cavalier King Charles. Thought about calling him Lebron because he is a cavalier :)

Reply #217384 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Just please get it from the rspca or somehwere like that..not a pet shop.

Rescue some poor creature

name..

Voldemort? :)

Reply #217387 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Pippen?

Starks?

Larry?

Eddie?

Reply #217392 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Cat

Reply #217396 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

On the subject of offtopic posts, i was nearly going to post a question a few months ago about how to deal with a broken heart/break up, i was so desperate that i thought some of the loonys on this site would actually help - anyway it's all sorted - the answer is: give it time and lots of booze.

Reply #217397 | Report this post

Larry B  
Years ago

Call him 'Loser' or 'sexy' or 'fat c*nt', so when you're in the park and call out his name everyone turns around and thinks you're talking to them.

Reply #217399 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Are you a Crows supporter? My dogs are called Hiedi (yep ie) and Charlie and the next one will be Bocky (Nathan Bock).

Kobe would be good too.

Reply #217400 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Got two Labradors. Barney and Jake.

Not really named after anyone.

Reply #217401 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

How `bout Tito???

Reply #217405 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Tito sounds a little like Dildo...

Reply #217406 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

What about Bupkiss or Defor (D for dog), sparkie, prince, sox, boots or my favourite:
farkoffrover: as in why for you kick my dog and call him farkoffrover.....

Reply #217408 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

SKUX101 - just call him strut , peacock , or god .

I could imagine Lebron being a more a knocked up staffy cross doberman . How that happens is anyones guess but a powerful and ugly result none the less .

Reply #217413 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

Got two pugs. Buster and Sheila. Don't really know where we got the names for them. I'm better at naming racehorses ;)

Reply #217414 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I always liked Cujo

Reply #217427 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Call it Houdini, it will remind you to keep a regular check on fences and gates.

Reply #217430 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

My parents dog (put down last week) was named Mookie

Was out of that and Sprewell at the time...lol

The Parents took a liking to Mookie

Reply #217434 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Friend used to have a dog called Ubu. Sit Ubu sit. Good dog.

Reply #217444 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

George W Bush? Or maybe just "Dubya"

Reply #217454 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Rolex, if it's a watchdog.

Reply #217456 | Report this post

Rufus

because hes a character in final fantasy 7 and i think its a good dog name

Reply #217457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had a dog once I called Spalding being the basketball of choic at the time.
Molton would make a good name for todays basketball fan's dog

Reply #217462 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sorry to hear that Fez - good name choice though.

In honour of some of this site's most epic threads, what about: Boykins, Harold or Cecil?

Reply #217465 | Report this post

Stats Machine  
Years ago

Our dog is named Farley.

Reply #217470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SNOOP!

Reply #217471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

duke

Reply #217474 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

My female dog is Henry, we have this funny thing about calling girl dogs boy names, others have been, sam and norm

Reply #217476 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

You should just officially call it

"Good for nothing bastard" or "Stupid Animal"

Face it, you're going to be calling it that no matter what its actual name is.

Reply #217480 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Fender - if it's a guard dog
Tiller - if it digs
Candle - if it's not too bright
DICKO - if it's a post pisser
Saga - more than just a tale
Trousers - needs a belt sometimes
Pigeon - shits on everything

Reply #217490 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Dufflecoat supreme ... or Arrrrrrrr ...

Reply #217492 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

If DDFan had a dog he should call it 'Lehmo' so it could appreciate his horrible jokes.

Reply #217493 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Fender - if it's a guard dog
Tiller - if it digs
Candle - if it's not too bright
DICKO - if it's a post pisser
Saga - more than just a tale
Trousers - needs a belt sometimes
Pigeon - shits on everything

DDFan if it just runs around in aimless circles, drooling a lot and barking at nothing.

Reply #217496 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Round 2:
Yergutz - should be interesting when teaching the "drop" command at obedience training.
Shane - doesn't know how to guard
Duh - it's not registered
GST - it bites

Reply #217515 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

Wow, it just keeps getting better doesn't it.

Reply #217517 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Reply #217527 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

All right, Melvin.....you got me.

Explain?

Reply #217529 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I got my dog first, then went about figuring out a name that seemed to suit her. I eventually settled on the one she responded to the first time I said it, dont need to name them straight away.
I agree with above, breeders or the Animal Welfare League are the way to go!

Reply #217581 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

DICKO:

"DDFan if it just runs around in aimless circles, drooling a lot and barking at nothing."

: )

Sniff my butt, it's the social thing to do. ; )

BTW, my wife's had the last say on all of our dog names. Guess I got a bit carried away here.

Agree with others, go to a registered breeder, or rescue a little mate from the pound. The pound can be a risk, but there are plenty of gems as well.

Good luck with it Anonymous. I've gotta say, our little blokes have been the best money we've ever spent. Endless fun.

Reply #217616 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Pain in the arse if you holiday a bit, though.

If you holiday locally, make sure you get something that can go in the car. We're ALWAYS tryign to find someone to feed teh dog. Luckily my friend, and neighbour, also has a dog and we swap helping each other out. Problem is, this new years....we're holidaying together.

As for names, like DD, my wife always picks our pet names (does a great job, IMHO) and always, like Skud, after you have at least a short time with the animal.

Ours so far have been .....

Storm - A pitch black lab x Staffy. Beautiful dog with just a little nasty streak below the surface for anyone who looked like doing her (or us) harm. Had been beaten as a puppy and like a Storm, was just a little on the edge at times. I miss my girl deeply....lower spine gave way when she was 14 and we had to put her down a few months back.

Chester - A Beagle.....with Storm, just reminded us of that Chester from the cartoons. Can I play?...Can I? ....Can I? ....do you want me to get the ball?....Do ya? If I was the type, I'd happily send him to God....Psycho, untrainable mess of an animal. Have tried to give him away over the years, but no takers.

Buster - A Stray cat kitten that we found in a litter of 7. Whilst the others were hiding in a huddle shaking. He just walked up, took a swipe at my shoelace and sat there looking at me with a "Well, what do you want?" look on his face.

Missy - Busters little sister, Tortoise shell, completely lady-like in everything she did.

Sadly, we only have Chester left and he's a pain in the arse (hence my, don't get a beagle comment). Escapes, digs, destroys things....even at 10yo, has never calmed down a bit. As much as I loved Storm, I find it hard to even tolerate Chester.

Whatever you get, do the tolerance test....put them on their back and hold them there. if they accept it, you're the boss and probably always will be. If they fight you back.....next option. Works well.....only problem we had was we did this with Chester and all looked good.....turned out he was horribly sick (almost died just after we got him) and that's why he wouldn't fight back. Fully healthy, he struggled, barked, growled and bit every inch of the way. Bastard.

Reply #217632 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

DICKO:

"Pain in the arse if you holiday a bit, though."

That's where I've been blown away with our little blokes. We've had no end of people looking to take care of our little blokes if we ever go away. We've held out for dog friendly accommodation so that we can enjoy, & have a complete holiday, but the offers have always been there.

The only problem with dogs, is that they're destined to a shorter life-span than their human companions. I'm due for a downer if I out-live our little mates.

DICKO mate, my advice, take a holiday & take your family. It's the only way to go.

Reply #217639 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Think I'm taking a beagle to the US?

Not likely.

Reply #217647 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Chesters Response

Go on Dicko, Can I, Can I....lol

Reply #217650 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Fair call DICKO. : )

Reply #217703 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

HA - I know exactly what you mean Dicko....our Beagle (Bella) is just the same. I was told by some clown that a Beagle will be psycho for the first 18 months then calm down....well we have almost hit 4 years and no signs of slowing down yet! Even our staffy (Sammie) gets sick of her and jumps up on a table Bella cant get on just to get a break!
Thing is just when your about to kill them they do something nice and cute or loving and you forget all the crap.
Ahh Dogs - got to love em and our household will always have em :)

Reply #217711 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dicko, a holiday to the US for the dog reminds me of a story (not sure how accurate it is, but it's amusing anyway) of Rickert and his partner bringing their (small) dog over in their carry-on luggage, and getting to Australian customs before anyone noticed it was with them!?

Reply #217763 | Report this post

PK Mum  
Years ago

My son has a staffy, who they call 'Dyson' because, after the toddlers have eaten, they let her inside and she snuffles up anything vaguely resembling food! As she was an RSPCA treasure we figure she knows what hunger is!
Seriously, all of our dogs have been named after a few days of getting to know them. Have a family brainstorming session to come up with a list of names and then see what fits! But, just quietly, lose 'Fluffy' off the list; my poor mother had a magnificent samoyed male who got stuck with that one ;)!

Reply #217785 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

:-) .... I wanted to go the opposite.

I had a Australian x Jack Russell terrier years ago, when we were together, but before marriage.

She still wouldn't let me name my own dog :-)

I wanted to call it Brutus, Killer, Caesar or something REALLY tough just for a laugh.

She ended up branding the little fella "Midget". It suited him perfectly of course.

Reply #217791 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

DICKO:

":-) .... I wanted to go the opposite.

I had a Australian x Jack Russell terrier years ago, when we were together, but before marriage.

She still wouldn't let me name my own dog :-)"

Why did you marry the bitch?

You could've had a great time in the US, with your chick magnet, bronzed Aussie Beagle. ; )

Reply #217984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Call it Hump, as in Hump the Dog?

Reply #218035 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Why did you marry the bitch?

Dude, you SO need to ask yourself "Should I, or Shouldn't I?" before you hit POST down the bottom there.

I know you were trying to tie the whole dog thing in, but mate, that's just offensive.

Reply #218049 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

My apologies, but mate. My wife's got more of a sense of humour than you (as we've discussed in private), & that's pretty tragic.
All the best anyway.

Reply #218061 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:42 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754