igotmadskills
Years ago

Who to keep? Time to start planning.

Balls
Davo
Schench
hill
hoban

Bruce questionable too many turnovers and needs to improve his shot to have any real driving game.

the rest can go in my opinion and let scotty rebuild again

grizz is useless and seems disinterested on the court other than padding his stats when the games are over with some 3's. Definately didnt work out as i had hoped.

Topic #19124 | Report this topic

Humpa  
Years ago

will there be an Australian bball league next season?

anyways

KEEP:
Adam Ballinger
Aaron Bruce
Luke Schenscher
Brad Hill
Hoban

OUT:
Brett Maher (in as assistant coach though!)
Rod Grizzard
Jacob Holmes

NOT SURE:
Every1 else

As for the new import i've said it before and i'll say it again... this guy would be a very good pick up: Bobby Jones

http://www.basketball-reference.com/nbdl/players/j/jonesbo01d.html

He's a lockdown defense-first player, but can also score at will, and a very good rebounder... and SHOULD have a decent 3 ball game in the NBL. I rate him as a better player than Hodge.

Reply #226463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

keep;
balls
luke
davo
bruce
hill

target:
mottram
knight
newley

Reply #226464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

please do not target mottram

Reply #226466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is under contract foe next year and who is not??

Reply #226471 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Sixers need to target some tough hard nosed players. Too soft for too long. No point complaining about the wrestling match the umps are calling - time to start playing the way they call it. Sixers are missing a Rees or Sapper or Blakemore to get in there and play hard. This years hard man recruit, Winitana, was not quite the enforcer I was hoping for.

Reply #226473 | Report this post

abc  
Years ago

how about russell hinder. Need some agro

Reply #226474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you'll regret saying Hinder

Reply #226475 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

KEEP: Schenscher, Holmes, Ballinger, Hill, Bruce, Burdon
OUT: Maher, Davidson, Cooper, Winitana, Grizzard
TARGET: Ingles, Motteram

Reply #226476 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

ingles would be nice but will turn into the newley situation.

Reply #226479 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

luke will go to europe. Will need another big

Reply #226482 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

KEEP:
Schenscher, Holmes, Ballinger, Hill, Bruce, Burdon, Grizzard

OUT:
Maher, Davidson, Cooper

NOT SURE:
Winitana

Reply #226483 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hill played mean, I wanted him dead, Ballinger started lighting up, he was next on the list.
Having experienced players that'll step up and take the big shots on the court for NZ at key momments got them over the line when it started getting close, CJ is class, got so over him killing NZ's buzz in internationals and the Breakers but now he's ours (dr evil cackle).

Reply #226484 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Just read the NBL write-up on the game.

"For Adelaide new talent Grant Hill showed he was a player of the future with 32 points while Adam Ballinger had 22 and Rod Grizzard 22."

Heck, Grant Hill's playing. We really should've won the game then but he is only a new talent.

Reply #226485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep: Balls; Luke; Davo; Bruce; Hill & Hoban

Clean out: Grizzard; Holmes; Cooper; Winitana; Burdon

Retired: Maher

If the above core stays together (if Luke decides to stay) we can look at recruiting 2 quality imports at SG or PG & SF. If Newley or Ingles comes home that would be a bonus & could look at Corey Williams at the PG spot.

I would not go after Mottram - to injury prone & I feel is overated - did he do much last time round apart from getting into foul trouble. I would go after Craig Bradshaw & Matty Knight to back up Balls & Luke.............but hopefully we will still be around next year in the new comp.

Reply #226489 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Seriously ppl want Burdon to go but keep Hill....The kid had ONE freaking good game and a bunch of passes from Bruce that made him look passable in other games.

Reply #226493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

your a knob skud

Reply #226497 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Seriously ppl want Burdon to go but keep Hill....The kid had ONE freaking good game and a bunch of passes from Bruce that made him look passable in other games.

skud, is that his first professional game ever against Gaze and the Tigers when he scored 20+ points to help the 36ers win the game as an 18 year old, or tonight when he scored 30+ in a finals game?

Reply #226499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the hell are people wanting Burdon out? He's done great in his limited minutes, he can create his own shot, dominates the ABL and and shoots the 3 at a high clip something this squad doesnt do! He's good playing defence 1 on 1 staying in front of his man his biggest problem may be getting bumped off the ball with his frame.

The guy can play, give him some court time. Who else are you going to get at his spot?

Reply #226500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To add to that, Burdon is a development player, surely the player that has to go is Ryan who has a contract!!

Reply #226501 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

i think your all thinking these players will want to stay, after this season, some will more than likely take the eurpoe option!..
Schensher's form will get him 500 to 750K euro style and i would hazzard to say ballinger too. there goes the best 3 players 36ers got!

Reply #226504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see Ingles playing for Adelaide.

Reply #226508 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ballinger and Bruce are contracted.
Holmes - I think is ( there was talk he is next capt.)
Schenscher only signed for this season.
I'd keep Burdon , Davo if he's fit. Hill of course.
Not sure about Grizzard or Paora.
Maher retired. Cooper not required.

Reply #226511 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ballinger naturalises in about a month

Reply #226513 | Report this post

dora  
Years ago

IT WAS SO DISAPPOINTING WATCHING THE GAME TONIGHT
I WAS PRAYING WE COULD GET IT DONE AND ON ANY OTHER NIGHT 101 POINTS MIGHT HAVE WON US THE GAME BUT GIVE CREDIT WHERE ITS DUE AND NZ SURE CAN SHOOT
BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT I PERSONALLY DONT THINK THAT HOLMES DESERVES TO BE CAPTAIN NEXT SEASON WOULD NEED TO PROVE TO ME HE IS WORTHY OF REPLACING MAHER
THERE WERE JUST TOO MANY INCONSISTENT GAMES THIS SEASON FROM HIM AND UNFORTUNATELY FROM MOST OF OUR PLAYERS
BUT DEFINATELY WANT BALLINGER, SCHENSCHER ,ON OUR TEAM NEXT SEASON.
PERHAPS BALLINGER COULD BE OUR NEW CAPTAIN
LOOKING FORWARD TO A CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON IN 09/10

Reply #226515 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Get Paora back on the plane, for sure. His best games were the ones on Sundays.

Must-keeps for me are Ballinger, Hill, Burdon, Davidson. Bruce cops a lot here, but I think he's the PG of the future, lots of potential. Obviously Schenscher would be great, but I think we'd be pretty lucky to secure him again. Not real high on Grizzard personally, but at least he seems like a good bloke... depends on the import market I guess. The rest, I dunno.

Reply #226516 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Sorry, and keep Holmes too.

Reply #226517 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

High Priority:
Luke
Balls
Jacob
Burdman
Hillbilly

Davo (one more year)

Maybes:
Grizz
Brooce

Door:
Wini
Kirsten Ryan
Coops
Mahersey (ret.)

Hoban is off OS next year for work.

Reply #226521 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

I agree with most of the people here. Burdon may be worth keeping if he fits into the team points and position wise. Pay out Kersten's contract (it can't be worth that much, same as him as a player). Get rid of Cooper, Winitana and Grizzard. Thought Grizz would fit in a lot better than he has done. Definitely keep Bruce and Hill, they're both young and have a huge future, just need to get more experience. Hopefully keep the rest of the guys and add two good imports. On Holmes, I agree with Dora. I'd definitely keep him, but I'm not sure that his performance and consistency this year warrants his possible promotion to captain. Maybe give it to Balls until he retires and then pass it on to Holmes.

Reply #226526 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Dusty Rychart people?

Schenscher
Rychart
Ballinger
Ingles
Bruce

Hill
Holmes
Winitana
Burdon
Kersten

There you go, problem solvered!

Reply #226527 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Really don't know why anyone would say Brucie is a 'maybe'. IMO he should be the 36ers' second priority behind Schensch. Will be one of the top PGs for a long time.

Reply #226531 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Bruce has been the turnover king all season. That's not what the 36ers need. If he is to be the PG of the future, at best this year, he should have only been a development player and not given such a huge role.

Reply #226533 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

if what Camel 31 says about Ballinger naturalising is true and we choose wisely on 2 new imports we will be looking at a decent year. Especially if Shench stays.

Bruce and Burden are definite stayers, players of the future.

Also keep Jocob

Reply #226535 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Bruce has been the turnover king all season. That's not what the 36ers need. If he is to be the PG of the future, at best this year, he should have only been a development player and not given such a huge role."

Yeah that would've solved our problems on the road. Just take out our best PG!

Reply #226538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude your forgetting, bruce is a rookie!

Everyone expects so much from him and forgets he is very young, same with hill. With time and some maturity in the decisions on court these two are gonna be in the elite of the league. Bruce is the PG of the future and when CJ retires will back up Patty mills on the boomers

And hill is super athletic and showed tonight how good he really can be, and he still made 4-5 rushed decision's tonight, when he and bruce mature man they will be good.

Keep:

Bruce
Schenscher
Balls
Holmes
Hill
Davo
Burdon

Maybe:Grizz, he played well tonight 5/5 from deep.

Kick:
Winitana, cooper, maher (retired), kersten, hoban

Target:

Knight (matt)

Newly should be No.1 priority for ninnis, he can take the leauge over if he comes back.

NG

Donta smith, homicide, hinder,

Reply #226541 | Report this post

Jess  
Years ago

What are the chances of getting Dusty and the Big O back? Dusty has no team to go back to and does anyone know if the Big O has another year. Just the thought of Luke, Balls, Dusty and the Big O on the same team with Holmes, Bruce, Hill and Davo.

I also think they should target Ng, and a game breaking import who is a showman as Adelaide have a long tradition of doing well with imports like that in the squad for example KB, Darnell, Willie (all three played in championship years)and Hodge (who may have if he had of either stuck around this year or been contracted earlier last year) and thats even before we mention some of the old school imports who have lifted the 6ers. The new import should be someone who has never played NBL before thus is an unknowen.

as for coaching staff this trio isn't working. I would say remove one of them and get KB back in Adelaide to make up the trio as he has now got a lot more experience and I was surprised his name wasnt floating around this time last year for the head coaching job.

I doubt Newley will be back for a while so failing any of these players I would love the 6ers to try get another big name and boomer in Patty Mills try lure him back to oz. I Hinder as he's a very physical player. Jingles wouldn't come back not after the season he's just had at south but Matt Knight would be a huge pick up. I might even get Cat on a year by year deal to bring experience to a very young side.

Reply #226543 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

grizzard has to go. here is why compare his stats with tyndale. grizzards stats include tigers numbers, couldnt find just his sixers stats.

Tyndale 13.0 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.9 ast, 1.8 stl, 3.1 to, 0.3 blk
Grizzard 11.8 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 2.0 ast, 0.8 stl, 2.7 to, 0.8 blk.

Grizzard is only better than Tyndale with 0.4 less turnovers a game and 0.5 more blocks. We cut Tyndale, so why keep Grizz when he is clearly worse?

NEW IMPORTS, no more recycled ones please!!!!!

Reply #226550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of interest, what position does Grizzard actually play. To me, he seems to be a forward who really wants to play guard. (Oh, I wouldn't keep him either)

Reply #226551 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Def kick Grizzard
Holmes can play but I don't think he's captain material.
Bruce has game but he's still young, I wouldn't overplay him ie Joyce Jr

Reply #226553 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Oh and keep your eyes off the big O, he's ours...

Reply #226554 | Report this post

Keep:
Schenscher (If he stays)
Ballinger
Holmes (Bring him off the bench)
Hill
Bruce
Davidson
Burdon
Hoban

Go:
Maher (Retired)
Cooper
Winitana
Kersten
Grizzard

Get:
Darren Ng (To come off the bench)
Import SF
Import SG
Aussie Big man

Reply #226556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd suggest Grizzard's stats for the sixers are lower than those averages. I can't understand why some people are talking about retaining him - he finished up with 22 last night, but as with other games this season (other than that 1st quarter one off performance), he only seems to put up the numbers in junk time. He never seems to contribute when needed.

Reply #226566 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Journo, Ballinger isn't a SF. Keep solvering!

Can't see them keeping Grizzard.

vanexel, "recycled" imports playing at the 36ers have included Darnell Mee, Adam Ballinger, Matt Garrison, Dusty Rychart, Robert Rose - not a horrible list.

Reply #226568 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So who would be our muscle next year?

Our boys are too nice. Look at some of the scrubbers on other teams - tats from ar@ehole to breakfast time.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again: We need a nutter on the team. Someone who you don't want to meet in a dark alley. Someone who used to pull the wings off of flies for fun.

Can you imagine the Cat pulling the pony tail if he knew next rebound an "errand elbow" could be coming his way?

Reply #226571 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

EC, Bruce has averaged 5.1 apg and 2.9 topg in a rookie season as a professional. That is only marginally below CJ Bruton in both categories (5.3 apg and 2.6 topg), the Boomers starting guard and the best PG currently running around in the league.

Bruce will only get better and better. He will be a consistent Boomer presence in 2012 and on. Anyone who thinks he is not the future has rocks in their head.

So he is a little inconsistent at the stage in his career? Meh, not a bad base to build on.

I would have Bruce as the main guy to lock up for the next 10 years for this team, and a possible future 36ers captain. You just can't find good PG's from nowhere: if you have one - keep them at all costs.

Reply #226576 | Report this post

Cat15  
Years ago

Maher - Retired
Schench - Try to keep but will be in Europe looking for NBA gig
Balls - contracted and naturalising KEEP
Bruce - Def keep a rookie PG will get better
Holmes - Kepp with realistic expectations of what he can provide - and a requirement that he puts up 1000 jumps shots a day between today and the start of next season
Hill - Keep for bench impact
Cooper - no thanks
Davidson - too old
Burdon - will be better players available
Winitana - not sure how much injury prevented us seeing his best -maybe keep (but probably other better players available with condensed league)
Grizzard - goodbye
Kirsten - Goodbye
Hoban - OS

So we hopefully are left with:
Ballinger
Schencher (or import big man)
Bruce
Holmes
Hill

ADD:
D Ng - a must have
Corey Williams (Homicide!!!)OR,Import (Probably big man to replace Schench)
When Balls naturalises - import 3 man who scores and defends
John Rillie? - Spot up shooter works well with Homicide and if Schench stays gives good inside-outside game.
Returning Aussie College player?
Other Aussie released from teams that no longer exist
Space for import once Balls naturalises?

Starters (likely if Schench leaves):
Balls
Holmes
Import
Ng
Homicide

Bench:
Bruce PG
Hill SF
Rillie SG
Blagov Janev F/C
Liam Rush PG/SG
Anthony Petrie or Ian Crosswhite F
Darnell Mee PG - to teach Bruce

Reply #226578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously I don't know how some of you guys get so excited over Ng. I see him in the Burdon mould and I know who I would rather have from a ball control perspective. Defensively both could be a better and I don't think there is much between them offensively.

The difference is that I think Burdon has more upside - he is a development player. Ng has been around for longer and to be honest has not consistently set the world on fire. Besides where will his priorities lie between work and Basketball.

Just my thoughts.

Reply #226583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Darnell Mee please.. he's 37 years old?
Great when he was here and in his prime but way past his time!

Reply #226584 | Report this post

Years ago

Sixers problem: top heavy
Cannot guard teams with combo mid size players (dragons, breakers.)

Get Glenn Saville.
Naturalise Ballinger and bring in import 2 guard who can also handle the point.
Keep Cooper if Schensch goes.
Sign Grizz to one year deal.

Reply #226588 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Ballinger for captain.

Might just help us keep him when his contract runs out.

Is Oscar a free agent next season?

Reply #226606 | Report this post

crowfan  
Years ago

id like to see homicide as well, but i am pretty sure he is signed for the crocs next year.

Reply #226608 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Whenever I think of Kirsten Ryan, why do I think of Mark Cosgrove?

Reply #226614 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Without knowing how many teams are going to be in this alleged new league it is tough to know how far down your list to go.

Ballinger - contracted, naturalised, a certainty
Bruce - contracted, solid rookie year, a must have
Hill - show me a better 2pt player and I'll cross him off my list
Schenscher - club MVP for mine, absolutely crucial to retain his services
Holmes - contracted anyway isn't he? IMO had it tougher than anyone else with the three imports this year as each time we changed his role did too

That is about as far as I would go with the current group.

Grizzard didn't really settle in but he could be the perfect guy if paired with a high scoring two man.

Davidson, paid the price all season for not having a pre season and is still a decent player, but I wouldn't rush to sign him when someone a decade younger could be available.

Cooper was a total joke this season and should be the first one cut. I would prefer a Larry Davidson or someone with some fire about them. I've gotten sick of Cooper's Caspar the friendly ghost presence.

Kersten was hardly sighted but never looked fit. If Mick Hill couldn't find a gig this year Kersten has no hope next year.

Winitana was one of the biggest disappointments of the season. May be a handy bits ieces player but surely there has to be someone more reliable out there?

Burdon - it's no secret I am a huge fan of this guy and I've love to see him get a chance in a regular rotation.

Reply #226620 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Keep Cooper if Schench goes" ?!?!?

I'd rather put a lifelike statue of Mark Davis in the keyway.

Reply #226635 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

I have a feeling Dusty naturalizes this off season as well. Would be a great fit if we keep Schensher and Ballinger with Dusty backing them up!

Reply #226637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely, independent of who stays and goes, we gotta shaft the fitness team! We virtually always look like skinny runts against the opposition, which would be fine if we had the core strength to stick it to the other teams, but we don't.

I saw very little strength or conditioning all season, and they pay someone to work on that!?!? What are they doing?

We frequently got out-muscled, pushed and shoved out the way by a team where every player was fighting out of their weight! And i'm certainly not bagging the players...just highlighting an apparent lack of support/knowledge here!

My vote for a new recruit is in the fitness area! 10kgs of muscle and some core strengh would make a world of difference!

Reply #226640 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Will people please stop suggesting M.Knight, D.Rychart, C.Bradshaw etc. when we have Schensch, Balls and Holmes. No point.

"Out of interest, what position does Grizzard actually play. To me, he seems to be a forward who really wants to play guard. (Oh, I wouldn't keep him either)"

Natural shooting guard.

Reply #226649 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

yeah we have had some good recycled imports, my feeling is with the current import crop in the league there is nobody worth getting thats any good. no mee's or rose's floating around anymore. also new imports just add a new excitement.

Reply #226659 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

XY, where does the 2.9 topg come from? I would not believe for a minute that all his turnovers have been accounted for. Also when comparing stats between Bruce & CJ, you have to look at the minutes played as well. Does the stats come from averaging out a whole season or only what he actually played? By all means keep Bruce for future development but a quality starter PG was needed ahead of him.

XztatiK, sometimes I think your mouth is on a different part of your anatomy (try the rear side). Our "best" PG was only the "best" because we had no one better. That's also a matter of opinion. I valued Davidson as a better PG than Bruce although still not good enough. My suggestion earlier in the season was that an import PG should have been recruited if there wasn't a good one available in Australia. Its such a vital role and to fill it with a rookie was senseless.

Reply #226671 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Wayne, keep talking, it makes sense to me. Yes Dusty does naturalise soon and will not require an import spot. Again XztatiK talks from his rear end. For a start we do not have Schenscher next season unless he agrees to come back. Secondly, we don't have enough consistent scorers in the team. Rychart brings that. He brings it without the injury problems we have had with others in the team. If a reliable, hard working, high scoring, high rebounding player is not required, then lets all go and watch under 12's juniors.

Reply #226678 | Report this post

Bretts the man  
Years ago

Agree with EC that we need a defensive rebounder. If have NZ game on tape have a look at the 2 nd shots they got espec. when still had a chance in game.
Probably Dusty could still do that for us to add to Ballingers game as good as he is he is not strong on the defensive end espec. muscling it out to get defensive rebounds. Dusty would always be there fighting for any ball. He should not cost too much but points wise you would probably only have 1 import if he was naturalized as well as Ballinger. Matt Knight would be ideal replacement for Schens if doesnt sign in next month or so.
Larry Davidson or Janev or Matt Smith might be a nice centre back up as time for Coops to go unfortunately.
We need a top scoring guard as a import that could assist as point guard like Brett did As in last few games we struggled to get ball over line under press from opposition. I would keep Davo hoping he would have injury free pre season. Whilst cannot believe many glossing over the turnover king in Aaron
he needs to be given another season as the talent is there. Scotty etc no more Tyndale and Winitiano mistakes in recruiting. Offered totally nothing to team . Grizzard was not a success most of us expected but pulled in some enormous rebounds and showed he can score .He might still end up a nice addition if we can get the right team as a cheap import. Either Ng or Burdon should be in team to come on to sneak on and shoot some 3s with my preference being Ng as already showed in last season with us that can rack up the points in NBL. Holmes and Hill will be retained and offer something to team and balance as try to keep a base of this years team .

Reply #226697 | Report this post

stuart wilde  
Years ago

'Grizzard didn't really settle in but he could be the perfect guy if paired with a high scoring two man.'

Isnt that what Ballinger is? Who is your suggestion for a high scoring two man?

We had best 1 and 2 man in the league, we had a 3 that was paired with a high scoring 2 man. No complaints about our guards.Soooo.....did the combinations just not work?

Reply #226715 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Again XztatiK talks from his rear end. For a start we do not have Schenscher next season unless he agrees to come back."

The people who are suggesting recruiting Dusty, Knight etc. are the same ones saying keep Schenscher. If we have Balls and Schensch there is NO POINT in having a guy like Dusty whether you rate him or not or even if you have a shrine dedicated to him in your bedroom as I suspect you do. He will not get enough minutes behind Luke and Balls to be a factor.

"XztatiK, sometimes I think your mouth is on a different part of your anatomy (try the rear side). Our "best" PG was only the "best" because we had no one better. That's also a matter of opinion. I valued Davidson as a better PG than Bruce although still not good enough. My suggestion earlier in the season was that an import PG should have been recruited if there wasn't a good one available in Australia. Its such a vital role and to fill it with a rookie was senseless."

So you suggest making him a development player?! We get one of Australia's best young PG's for a 3pt points rating and you want to waste that by putting him on the DP list where we can't use him for away games. Bruce probably wouldn't even have signed as a development player, nor should he with his ability, we would have lost a future star PG to another club. FFS the guy finished fourth in the league for assists and APG!!! And XY is correct in saying he averaged 2.9tpg whether you believe it or not.

I would love to see you run an NBL roster for just one year. What a complete f@#$ up that would be!

Reply #226752 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

XztatiK, whether you want to admit it or not the team has gone backwards in the last 3 seasons. Guess, what? The last 3 seasons have been without Rychart. Don't know about your memory of the time he was with Adelaide, but mine is that it was not unusual that he would end the game on 30 and 15. 44 is another number that springs to mind. I also remember the extra loud cheers he would get when the players were introduced on court. Those cheers are usually reserved for those who make consistently outstanding contributions to the team. I do not accept that we may not fit him in because we have Ballinger and Holmes but I know who I would target to make room for him if necessary. I know you have a problem with him, I have been informed, but you have never given a reason for it. If you think he is a crap player, then say so but also say why. Atleast I support all my arguments for bringing him back. Also, a shrine is not necessary. That's quite a sick joke.

Reply #226764 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"XztatiK, whether you want to admit it or not the team has gone backwards in the last 3 seasons. Guess, what? The last 3 seasons have been without Rychart."

Yep, that must be it.

"Don't know about your memory of the time he was with Adelaide, but mine is that it was not unusual that he would end the game on 30 and 15. 44 is another number that springs to mind. I also remember the extra loud cheers he would get when the players were introduced on court. Those cheers are usually reserved for those who make consistently outstanding contributions to the team. I do not accept that we may not fit him in because we have Ballinger and Holmes but I know who I would target to make room for him if necessary."

So because of a few 30pt games a few years ago, to make room for Dusty, you would use that import spot and cut Jacob Holmes, a local, a leader and a player only marginally inferior to your beloved???

"I know you have a problem with him, I have been informed, but you have never given a reason for it. If you think he is a crap player, then say so but also say why. Atleast I support all my arguments for bringing him back."

Poorly.

Well I have no idea why you are isolating Dusty here, I mentioned him alongside M.Knight and Craig Bradshaw as bigs who had been suggested and who I think would be wasted alongside Schensch, Balls and Holmes. I have no real problem with Dusty. From my experiences with him off the court he has been a bit arrogant and as a player it is clear that he is deteriorating quickly (15ppg on a bad team) but if he could significantly help the 36ers I would be all for getting him back, just like I would be all for chasing Knight and Bradshaw, who are both better players. The fact is I don't believe there is any point in getting these guys if we have the twin gingers and Holmes. That is all I am saying. I never took a snipe at Dusty, I put him in the same group as Knight and Bradshaw, players of whom I am a great fan, so stop getting all defensive as soon as your man's name is mentioned.

Nice to see how you abandoned your Bruce argument there too - probably what I would do if I was dumb enough to suggest that he should be no more than a development player.

Reply #226776 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

XztatiK - "So because of a few 30pt games a few years ago, to make room for Dusty, you would use that import spot and cut Jacob Holmes, a local, a leader and a player only marginally inferior to your beloved???"

Which import spot would he be taking? Also he averaged around 21 points per game in his last season here. That is more than just a few good games. My argument about crowd reaction related to consistently outstanding performances not one or two good games.

My arguments against Bruce still stand, it just wasn't part of this conversation to bring it up again. This season, there has been far too much reliance on a player that is not up to the professional standard needed in a PG role. He was brought in as a rookie to fill the starting PG role. A bit premature for me. I don't argue that he is a PG of the future, but he was not ready this season.

Reply #226780 | Report this post

Bretts the man  
Years ago

I guess to put diff. view to difference in posts is that we do have Balls .Schens and Jacob but a lot of us feel that we got pushed out of play around the key and losing position and not being position to rebound and scrap for loose balls etc and obviously Dusty and others could add to that area if could fit in team.
As someone posted we need to show more muscle and aggression which espec. Schens and Ballinger dont play that way and a aggressor will free up their game . Also you would not want to bet on Schens. returning. Although I and others think Bruce will become a good NBL plyr he become the turnover king and also totally lost confidence in carrying the ball if a press was put on as in last few games.
Certainly require him but hold off the star bit until team and himself work out a few more things and can reduce turnovers

Reply #226784 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

EC, you keep harping on about Bruce being too inexperienced and not up to the challenge, and while he technically is a rookie he does have 4 years of experience in a league of comparable standard to the NBL so it's not like we've trusted our of responsibilties to a local who's never played above ABA before. Bruce was the leading freshman scorer in the entire NCAA in his first year in college and was widely tipped to make the NBA, this didn't pan out but the guy is in a different class talent wise to any rookie the sixers have had in the last 15 years.

Reply #226788 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

billo, we came 6th and dropped out in the first elimination game FULL STOP Doesn't that say more than any of the arguments made. We lost more games than we won. If that's good enough for everyone else, its not good enough for me whatever the arguments may be. Major changes need to be made. There are differing opinions on where the changes should be made but it doesn't mean that we should be happy, sit back and praise the team for their achievement this year.

Reply #226794 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

EC - Am I wrong to believe that you wanted to keep Phil on as coach even though we had 2 of the worst seasons in the clubs history?

Reply #226797 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

No skip you are not right. I had a preference over Phil to Scott but that's more of an indication of how I felt about Ninnis becoming the head coach. My arguments in the past have also been a comparison between the 2 and not necessarily that we should keep Phil. They have also been along the lines that Phil's roster was no where near as talented as Scott's so some allowances had to be made for lack of success. My real argument pre season was to look overseas for an experienced coach with a proven track record if there wasn't one available here.

Last week I commenced a post titled A Letter to the 36ers. I listed 12 things I wanted the team to take to New Zealand with them. I have now ticked off 1 only and that is their passports. That is all they brought with them, their attendance at the game. Now tell me if the coach needs to bear any responsibility for this?

Reply #226803 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

billo, don't forget his international experience with the Boomers.

"Which import spot would he be taking?"

NBL teams are actually allowed only two imports.

"My arguments against Bruce still stand, it just wasn't part of this conversation to bring it up again. This season, there has been far too much reliance on a player that is not up to the professional standard needed in a PG role. He was brought in as a rookie to fill the starting PG role. A bit premature for me. I don't argue that he is a PG of the future, but he was not ready this season."

So you stand by your idiotic statement that he should've been a development player then?

Reply #226810 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

X, people are suggesting Matt Knight as an option if Schenscher doesn't stay. If he does and Ballinger is there, there is no room for a starting-calibre centre - they won't play here for 10-15 MPG (as Cooper was getting).

Reply #226814 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Exactly what I am saying, Isaac, but people were suggesting Knight/Rychart/Bradshaw while keeping Schensch.

Reply #226815 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, no chance of that - not enough minutes there to justify any of those.

Reply #226816 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Ninnis is a hard worker in areas that Smyth wasn't (ie identifying and signing good young talent). Would be a bit rough for him not to get another chance although a first round knock out was disappointing.

Beveridge is clearly the best up and coming coach in Australia but i can't see Ninnis not getting another chance especially when Beveridge knocked back the 36ers at the start of this season.

I would keep only:

Schenscher
Ballinger
Holmes
Hill
Bruce

Our front court was decent but we didn't have enough consistent perimeter threats this year. This was highlighted against NZ. Our backcourt couldn't compete with Bruton, Penney, Jones.

I would go after Kavossy Franklin and Liam Rush as priorities. Also a better back up big man role player than Cooper such as Petrie or even Larry Davidson.

Pick up a 3 point specialist such as Darren Ng to provide back court depth.

That would give us a back court of Bruce, Franklin, Hill and Ng. Front court of Schenscher, Ballinger, Rush, Holmes and Larry Davidson.

Don't know how that adds up re points cap but would certainly be competitive.

If you miss out on Rush then Saville and Cat are options at SF. If we miss out on all 3 then can consider getting import SF when Ballinger naturalises.

Reply #226819 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The 3 Imports didn't work. - I heard mentioned.
(so doesn't sound like Rod will be here).
Stronger players required , they said.
(so I guess they will go for more muscle, harder players)

Reply #226821 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Kavossy is a known cancer and doubt will be back in the league next year

If Schensch goes Euro that will dictate a lot of the next recruiting moves

Reply #226827 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I pictured Glenn Saville and Pero Cameron when I heard the 'strong' comments.. ( but not seriously. Just thinking about the sixers banging into bodies)

Reply #226829 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

+1 against Kavossy.

Best days are behind him.

I can't see us getting any value in recycled imports this year.

Reply #226830 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

"NBL teams are actually allowed only two imports." Wow, what a statement, how could I forget that NBL teams are allowed only 2 imports. Who are the 2 imports that we have for next season? XztatiK , who is the additional import we cannot fit in next season?

Reply #226837 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Well EC, since we are only allowed two imports, and Dusty Rychart is an import (at this stage at least), that would leave only one spot left for another one. Do you get it now?

Reply #226842 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ballinger is signed. He's a PF, not a SF. Rychart is also a PF, not a SF, meaning that one has to come off the bench for 15 MPG - not going to happen unless Dusty is naturalised and wants to play for $50k. Can see him going to Gold Coast and naturalising there - they may clean out a few forwards.

The other issue with using an import spot there (even temporarily at the start of the season?) is that it means you can't use it at PG or SG. So, unless we could get an Australian starter in that position, it means Bruce and Hill are the starting backcourt until Ballinger naturalises.

And I can't think of many top-level Australian PG/SGs likely to be on the move in 09/10 - Mee is pricey and probably now best off the bench, Black would be a risk, etc.

Reply #226846 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'Ballinger , who naturalised in May' - Boti today.
Guess should read naturalises in May.

Anyway he plays as an aussie from the start of the season.

Reply #226847 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"The other issue with using an import spot there (even temporarily at the start of the season?) is that it means you can't use it at PG or SG. So, unless we could get an Australian starter in that position, it means Bruce and Hill are the starting backcourt until Ballinger naturalises."

Like rocket science isn't it EC!?

Reply #226848 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Stuart Wilde, no Ballinger is a 4 (PF), while I am talking about a two guard.

Reply #226852 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Never, ever in my conversation have I said that Rychart should be signed as an import. He also will be naturalised before next season. He was only ever talked about as an Australian recruit.

Isaac, I can't understand the logic that with both him and Ballinger, one would have to settle with 15 minutes per game. Would you not alternate them and also have them on together for a period of time giving them both substantial minutes and a boost to the team in scoring options?

Reply #226853 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When you sign back-to-back club MVP Ballinger on big money, you play him 35+ MPG (played 37 MPG this season). Then you have Holmes who also signed a three year deal before this season. He'll either start at SF and back-up PF, or back-up both SF and PF.

Like I said, unless Rychart plays for $50k off the bench naturalised, there's no time for him (and his points value would not make it worth it at all). He's better off going to another club who would pay him easily 2-3 times as much - they will be able to give him minutes and make better use of his points value.

Have been hearing bits and pieces about targets for next season, and not heard Dusty mentioned. He should be talking to Townsville or Gold Coast, Melbourne, or (if Worthington goes abroad) perhaps to South.

Reply #226854 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I dont believe Dusty will be in a position to demand big money .Only just got a job this year. Although now Aussie less jobs will be out there.
The other problem Dusty and we will having ex import Aussie and still wanting two imports is money and more importantly points. Isaac both Ballinger and Dusty have played centre before so could get a different rotation happening out there. I not specifically pushing Dusty but a stronger more aggressive body in the mix. Yes Matt Knight only come if lose Schens. But many others Janev , Matt Smith etc etc that would come as back up centre types

Reply #226856 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dusty played centre in the 'donut' season? Punches above his weight, but you can't use him for big minutes at C on a team aiming for the top IMO.

He should be OK to get a gig somewhere that has points and money. e.g., put him at the Blaze and you cover what Whitehead brings without using an import spot.

Reply #226859 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I think Boti sums up what needs to happen perfectly.

"To re-tool, Schenscher must be a priority, Brad Davidson retained to mentor the errant Bruce, Holmes should spend the off-season shooting 1000 shots over the rafters every day, grab a Mottram-type, an import guard, an import forward - new faces please - and free agent forward to join Hill and Ballinger.

Watch the Dome rock"

http://linky.com.au/q51tl

Reply #226867 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Yes Skip a very good article from Boti with no sarcasm just a great review of our needs going fwd.
This is why Boti is a great sports writer not when he gets into his sarcasm so called humour.
Skip can you help who are these owners that might come on board in some capacity that Boti talks about and been spoken about all season we need them now to get Sixers nominated in new league and sign Schens. etc asap

Reply #226870 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

bretts the man - I have certainly heard names but, my lips are sealed at this point.

Reply #226872 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

C'mon Skip, you can unzip here, no-one will tell...

Reply #226882 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Ok Skip you and others cant say who they are fine .But are we any closer to someone actually getting on board in any form of ownership

Reply #226894 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Need to have a seller to have a buyer!

Reply #226905 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Schenscher/Knight/Bradshaw/Tragardh
Ballinger
Import (SF/SG, athletic, 200-205cm, plays D, 3pt range, slasher. Possibly Grizz)
Import (SG/PG, handles, 190-200cm, big scorer)
Bruce

Cooper/Petrie/Mottram
Holmes
Weigh/Boodnikoff/Winitana
Hill
Ng/Davidson

Any news on Boodnikoff? I still rate him very highly as a spot-up guy.

Reply #226910 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I've also used the argument that the new league will need to see an increase in the points cap. With less teams, how are the best players going to be assured of playing here if they can't be fitted into the points cap? All teams would be struggling there. So much talk about the increased quality in the league with less teams but the quality will only be there if the points cap allows it to. To add to that, whenever you have an import naturalising, their points value should drop. The reason being is that teams are allowed 2 imports but retaining a naturalised player at the full 10 points value makes it difficult to fit 2 imports. You already have 30 points in just 3 players. This needs to be done to make sure that there will always be a place for good Australian players in this league and priority is given to them.

Reply #226930 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No way should naturalised players get an automatic reduction - do Australians by birth get that? No. If there are fewer teams, the points cap should rise, but doubt it would change by much.

Reply #226957 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:34 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754